Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

United Forces to Lay the Groundwork for Big Changes Including Server 'Connections'

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageUnited Forces to Lay the Groundwork for Big Changes Including Server 'Connections' - Star Wars: The Old Republic - MMORPG.com

Star Wars: The Old Republic News - The Star Wars: The Old Republic site has been updated with a long post laying out the development roadmap for the balance of 2017. Included is the first information about big changes coming to multiplayer starting with the deployment of the United Forces Campaign in November. Some components of United Forces, mostly of the quality of life ilk, will be coming in October including an extended maintenance period on October 24th and the full campaign coming on November 8th.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    This may cause the end of the RP communities there, as the dedicated RP servers will be no more.
    GorwedaltaniousGismoland
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I'm actually excited about this. I feel like SWtOR has been way too much about story. I love a good story but an mmorpg still needs to be an mmorpg.
    pantaroknightauditGdemamiKyleranAlomardaltaniousPhryMrMelGibson
  • HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    (New Companion Customization Vendor available in the Fleet Bazaar. The vendors will sell older Companion Customizations for “opposite-faction” Companions. Ex: A Republic player could now get an older Vette customization.)

Is there something I am missing like why would a Republic character need a Vette customization?
    Phrychewienl
  • SoulsemmerSoulsemmer Member UncommonPosts: 28

(New Companion Customization Vendor available in the Fleet Bazaar. The vendors will sell older Companion Customizations for “opposite-faction” Companions. Ex: A Republic player could now get an older Vette customization.)

Is there something I am missing like why would a Republic character need a Vette customization?

Vette became available for everyone in KotFE, later on. The companions aren't really class or faction based anymore in the newer stuff. They are just given in the story and such.

MrMelGibson
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Ppiper said:
    Big changes like making this game fun to play?
    I highly doubt that will happen.
    LucienRene[Deleted User]
  • AlpiusAlpius Member UncommonPosts: 247
    I'd still rather get KOTOR 3 instead :/
    LucienRene[Deleted User]AlomarMrMelGibson
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    The best thing that could happen to this game is that an intern trips over a power cord while holding an electrically combustible substance which then starts an uncontrollable rage-fire in the server room burning the entire damn thing to the ground.

Then they make a new game with a top-notch, AAA game engine as the base for starters.  You know, since EA makes money by dump truck loads, so they don't have to cheap out on a half-assed unfinished game engine with no vendor support.
    LucienReneGorweRoinErithiaCalavrydragonlee66Alomartannim78Avindrinfomatzand 2 others.
  • nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I would care if everything stopped being behind a damn pay wall. Love the game but I don't care to keep paying monthly just to play my max level characters. >.>
    MrMelGibson
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    From the image, I started thinking "United Forces" was a new Cryptic superhero MMO or something.
    LucienReneErithiadaltanious

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736

Gorwe said:

So pissed about this. I'm not exactly an active out and about RPer, but I sympathize with them much more than I do with the typical MMO Raider or PvP fratboy.

Not to mention that losing names...oh yeah, losing names! But it's not that prospect that pisses me off. It's the fact that Keith finally showed his true colors: as a corporate gofer. And the overall apathy of Bioware towards its players:

How hard would it be to implement Star Trek Online's naming system? James Kirk@"server name" for example. Not only that, BUT WAIT FOR IT!, they already HAVE such a system in place. The LEGACY SYSTEM. But why'd Keith care about that? Someone else implemented it and he can't put it in his resume and show his bosses how smart he is. So we are where we are!

THANKS KEITH!

Man you should make a game. You clearly know so much and you have the ability to bypass a game's limitations with ease. Wow! Hurray for Korwe!
    BakgrindGdemami
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited October 2017
    they need a large scale wz, that simulates a siege. That should have been done a long time ago.

And ofc more mini games such as pazaak, and swoop racing.

Something they mentioned could be in the works, and would really add more to the game.

unfortunately we saw from their last expansions how their resources result in a few hours of content in mostly single player and therefore, they would need more funding.

They should make pvp more of an e-sport with people being able to dl only wz maps if they want to and play end game with 8 different classes (including mirrors so 8 ACs). Which might create an incentive to create more classes as well.

Then have a server that is more like a lobby for people that want to only play pvp, or mini games. This would still connect to the main game, but the point is that it brings in a larger crowd, and they would probably dl the rest of the game to play that as well.

Unfortunately, the e-sport community is toxic. But I think it would be a good idea other wise.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Man you should make a game. You clearly know so much and you have the ability to bypass a game's limitations with ease. Wow! Hurray for Korwe!
    Like it or not, he has a point (*partly), and it is not the game's limitation, it's just weak design.
    And not some novum idea either, the advantages (at first almost wrote superiority :wink: ) of Cryptic's @handle system usually come up at every server merge where there's a naming collision.

* only partly, because the Legacy name is not tied to the character's ID, more like just a "special" shared title.
    BakgrindGdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

OG_Zorvan said:

TL,DR: nobody plays anymore, here's some stuff to keep you from focusing on this last gasp server merge.

If "nobody" was playing I suspect it would be shutdown, it is an EA game afterall.

Excession

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited October 2017
    Gorwe said:
    I still think that by faking it, like Star Trek Online is the best way to go about it.
    Except they don't "faking it" like the Legacy names... that why I said above it goes back to initial design. Cryptic uses the handles since launch, so it pre-dates STO's (and Neverwinter's) start, those two were developed with taking @handle as a given.

It's a great system, my only gripe with it (but I guess it was discussed earlier a few times already :wink: ) that you can't "hide" behind alts in case you want some alone time...
    GorweMrMelGibson

Gorwe said:

So pissed about this. I'm not exactly an active out and about RPer, but I sympathize with them much more than I do with the typical MMO Raider or PvP fratboy.

Not to mention that losing names...oh yeah, losing names! But it's not that prospect that pisses me off. It's the fact that Keith finally showed his true colors: as a corporate gofer. And the overall apathy of Bioware towards its players:

How hard would it be to implement Star Trek Online's naming system? James Kirk@"server name" for example. Not only that, BUT WAIT FOR IT!, they already HAVE such a system in place. The LEGACY SYSTEM. But why'd Keith care about that? Someone else implemented it and he can't put it in his resume and show his bosses how smart he is. So we are where we are!

THANKS KEITH!

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to know that there are two ways of doing things, the easiest/cheapest way, and the good way. One of those is chosen by game devs 90% of the time.
    Gdemamipantaro
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423

Kyleran said:

OG_Zorvan said:

TL,DR: nobody plays anymore, here's some stuff to keep you from focusing on this last gasp server merge.

If "nobody" was playing I suspect it would be shutdown, it is an EA game afterall.

Looks like the server merges will be some what telling and give a more accurate representation of the health and population of the game. As of now however http://mirror.torstatus.net/ shows the population of the game to be dwindling... fast.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Gorwe said:

THANKS KEITH!

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to know that there are two ways of doing things, the easiest/cheapest way, and the good way. One of those is chosen by game devs 90% of the time.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm........ I can't even believe this was said. You're completely right, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to use this logic......
    ConstantineMerus

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:

Gorwe said:

THANKS KEITH!

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm........ I can't even believe this was said. You're completely right, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to use this logic......
    Ah, the "uuuum" reply, on the top 10 list of unsavory ways to start a forum reply. Are you a real Canadian?
    Do you also believe it takes a game dev to have any idea of what's possible in naming conventions and what exactly are your qualifications to make that decision? 

GdemamiConstantineMerus
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Torval said:
    I'm on Begeren Colony. I wonder how the new NA servers will be differentiated - west/east or pve/pvp. Guess I'll find out in a month.
    I'm on Harbinger.  So I suppose the silver lining is that we will be able to group up and play together now :smile:
    [Deleted User]
    CrazKanuk said:

Gorwe said:

THANKS KEITH!

Ah, the "uuuum" reply, on the top 10 list of unsavory ways to start a forum reply. Are you a real Canadian?
    Do you also believe it takes a game dev to have any idea of what's possible in naming conventions and what exactly are your qualifications to make that decision? 

Lol, I didn't know how to respond to something so retarded other than Umm. Sorry. 

Also, I don't know what the fuck you're talking about with naming conventions. You said there are 2 ways to make a game, the "good" way and the "easiest/cheapest" way. Then you assert that one of these is chosen 90% of the time. So are you suggesting that 90% of the time people are doing things the "good" way? What I'm telling you is that if you think that the goal of a game company is to make games the easiest/cheapest way then you're a fucking lunatic. Sorry! I wish that this sort of decision was binary. What I'm saying is if you want to come off as somewhat intelligent, instead of borderline retarded, then I'd suggest you put some thought into what you say. 
    Gdemami

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• GismolandGismoland Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Let's Face Reality, SWTOR is Dying or is Dead.
    ScotchUp
  • Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    And they killed Galaxies for this?
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Gorwe said:

THANKS KEITH!

Lol, I didn't know how to respond to something so retarded other than Umm. Sorry. 

Also, I don't know what the fuck you're talking about with naming conventions. You said there are 2 ways to make a game, the "good" way and the "easiest/cheapest" way. Then you assert that one of these is chosen 90% of the time. So are you suggesting that 90% of the time people are doing things the "good" way? What I'm telling you is that if you think that the goal of a game company is to make games the easiest/cheapest way then you're a fucking lunatic. Sorry! I wish that this sort of decision was binary. What I'm saying is if you want to come off as somewhat intelligent, instead of borderline retarded, then I'd suggest you put some thought into what you say. 
    Well if you think big business spends any more then they think they need to in general then I don't give any credit to what you think about my intelligence.

Not to mention we are talking about a game that isn't doing that well, companies love throwing good money after bad too, don't they? XD

Maybe we are just playing different games or have different expectations, or some people of certain intelligence levels are usually more content . . . maybe that's what's going on here.
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Gorwe said:

THANKS KEITH!

Well if you think big business spends any more then they think they need to in general then I don't give any credit to what you think about my intelligence.

Not to mention we are talking about a game that isn't doing that well, companies love throwing good money after bad too, don't they? XD

Maybe we are just playing different games or have different expectations, or some people of certain intelligence levels are usually more content . . . maybe that's what's going on here.

No, and if I was a shareholder, I wouldn't expect a business that I invest in to be spending money unnecessarily. However, there's a big difference between THAT and creating a shitty game, intentionally, which is what you're getting at. 

What game are you talking about that isn't doing well? Are we talking about a new game? OR are talking about SWTOR? A 5 year-old game that has been dead since the day it released, apparently? Yet consistently makes money year-after-year? Under a company that certainly won't keep around dead weight? 

As far as quality goes, I don't know what your expectations are. Every game is certain to have it's warts, but a game that is nearly always in the conversation of the best story-driven MMOs of all time certainly isn't shit. So, yes, maybe you are looking for something else and SWTOR doesn't check your boxes. I also don't expect that everyone will be able to look at games objectively, that's why there are critics. There is great evidence of this, both here, and on the user scores on Metacritic. It's a great example of the collective retardation of society..... once again, thanks Internet! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Gorwe said:

THANKS KEITH!

No, and if I was a shareholder, I wouldn't expect a business that I invest in to be spending money unnecessarily. However, there's a big difference between THAT and creating a shitty game, intentionally, which is what you're getting at. 

What game are you talking about that isn't doing well? Are we talking about a new game? OR are talking about SWTOR? A 5 year-old game that has been dead since the day it released, apparently? Yet consistently makes money year-after-year? Under a company that certainly won't keep around dead weight? 

As far as quality goes, I don't know what your expectations are. Every game is certain to have it's warts, but a game that is nearly always in the conversation of the best story-driven MMOs of all time certainly isn't shit. So, yes, maybe you are looking for something else and SWTOR doesn't check your boxes. I also don't expect that everyone will be able to look at games objectively, that's why there are critics. There is great evidence of this, both here, and on the user scores on Metacritic. It's a great example of the collective retardation of society..... once again, thanks Internet! 
    If you going to take a phrase like "more then they think they need to" and equate that to "spending money unnecessarily" I don't think I can handle that conversation.

SWTOR was one of the most expensive games ever made at the time, and it did NOT perform as EA hoped it would, hence the the quick conversion to F2P and loot boxes. 

My initial phrase was hyperbole, and believe it or not, I pulled that 90% number out of my . . . well, you get the picture. But I stand behind my assertion that overall game developers do not make the best decisions, and especially in the context of this discussion when they are acting on lowering population(income). Not because they want to make bad games, but because the people make the decisions don't know what they are doing.