Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting on Forums Can be 'Scary' & 'Intimidating' for Developers According to Kaplan - Overwatch - M

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imagePosting on Forums Can be 'Scary' & 'Intimidating' for Developers According to Kaplan - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

Overwatch News - According to Jeff Kaplan, posting on the Overwatch community forum can be scary and intimidating for developers. He alludes to members of his team who have been "personally attacked and intimidated" by players fans. While the OW team appreciates the enthusiasm, it can be a frightening experience for devs when they are constantly concerned about 'saying the wrong thing'. Game forums are not a "safe environment" for open communication due to harassment and out of context interpretation.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited October 2017
    He is 100% correct. While most of the community can "behave itself" and provide constructive criticism, there is that element that is simply toxic. Who can blame devs for not wanting to wade into the forum cesspool.
    Excessionhupapostlarval[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2017

SBFord said:

He is 100% correct. While most of the community can "behave itself" and provide constructive criticism, there is that element that is simply toxic. Who can blame devs for not wanting to wade into the forum cesspool.

Eh....I'll try and be nice about this. Its not that they are afraid of the community. The statement sounds like they are more afraid of losing their jobs or getting docked pay for getting into a war of words with trolls on the forum. Its easy enough to ignore people and just say in a statement that you will respond to "valid" statements. Plus Blizzard isn't really a small company. Statements should be screened before being posted to make sure that no one is going rogue, so to speak. But in the case I'm wrong, they just need thicker skin. Plain and simple. Besides, this statement kind of sounds stupid the more you think about it mainly because the forums in Blizzard games have always been notorious for being toxic long before OW was even thought of (well mainly WoW and that's more in regard to the community in general, not just the forums), so again...eh...
    Post edited by Albatroes on
    Gdemami
  • PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    edited October 2017
    SBFord said:

Why is this? There a reason why people do what they do..Maybe they(Players) had a EA game and the Devs took the money and ran and left the game unfinished...Few bad apples and it ruins the rest..

Maybe the Devs pretended that they care but dont ,knowing they wont change anything in the game..

I can write a wall of text as to why..But then who cares in this toxic world of ours? :expressionless:

I retired retroactively..Haha

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    It's pretty simple. Toxic posts get more attention then good or critique posts. Also, I've seen devs and website admins delete comments that aren't toxic when giving a game real criticism. Oh yeah, MMORPG.com is one of those sites with admins that do that ... so why give serious posts again?
    GdemamiKyleranBestinna[Deleted User]
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Sometimes I read life threatening posts and just have to shake my head.  One man's funny joke is another man's felony threat. 
    SBFordKyleran[Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

DMKano said:

Sector13 said:

It's pretty simple. Toxic posts get more attention then good or critique posts. Also, I've seen devs and website admins delete comments that aren't toxic when giving a game real criticism. Oh yeah, MMORPG.com is one of those sites with admins that do that ... so why give serious posts again?

Because not everyones goal is simple attention seeking.

There are people out there who have outgrown their inner toddlers desire for attention.

Also I am yet to see non-ToS breaking posts get deleted... but hey its nice to make stuff up right?

Yeah what exactly got deleted? I have had a couple posts removed due to me blatantly flaming someone but I have yet to see any actual criticism get censored here at least.
    Kyleran
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

DMKano said:

Sector13 said:

Because not everyones goal is simple attention seeking.

There are people out there who have outgrown their inner toddlers desire for attention.

Also I am yet to see non-ToS breaking posts get deleted... but hey its nice to make stuff up right?

Well, forum ToS is usually very dependent on the company. Most forum rules for companies will state they have the right to remove any criticism that can influence the views of others about their staff and the company itself (SE's forum rules state this for theirs). So that means, even if its a "good" post or thread, if its viewed as negative to them (i.e. making a thread about a bug that's persisted for a while) they can and most likely will remove it because it may show that they are slow to address problems etc.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Asheram said:
    That is a bit different though. That was on Discord. That dude was way out of line. Even if you don't like Tyler1, he doesn't deserve people talking like that towards him. Hes known for being incredibly toxic and got banned on like 20 league accounts and is perma banned from streaming league, and I don't really get how this person at Riot even came to talking about that in Discord. Plus he could have covered himself up with the normal "I got hacked" response, but then he posted on the reddit thread about it and basically said "I can say whatever I want when I'm not at work" which solidified his fate. 
    SBFord[Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Albatroes said:

SBFord said:

Eh....I'll try and be nice about this. Its not that they are afraid of the community. The statement sounds like they are more afraid of losing their jobs or getting docked pay for getting into a war of words with trolls on the forum.
    While there might be that this statement pretty much spells it out:

"He alludes to members of his team who have been "personally attacked and intimidated" by players fans. "

So yes, developers do need to be careful about what they reveal (and I would say how to act. Why is that so hard? It really seems at times that the video game industry is populated by "kids") but there is a horrible segment of the player population that drags the hobby down.
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MazingerZMazingerZ Member UncommonPosts: 52

Sector13 said:

Exactly this. Why create anything more than a low effort post if it's going to get nuked or edited by censorious mods?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

MazingerZ said:

Sector13 said:

Exactly this. Why create anything more than a low effort post if it's going to get nuked or edited by censorious mods?

Its been my experience posts which are so deleted are worthy of such actions
    Panther2103[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    They delete threads like crazy even if they don't break any forum rules. I have read several well written posts about how to improve game functions that were presented in a perfectly kosher way that were gone soon after I read it. This has happened on the OW, HS and HotS forums.

Many of the threads that were deleted presented very good FREE ideas but my guess is they don't want their players getting any thoughts of how much better their games can be so they just delete delete delete.
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    BruceYee said:
    They delete threads like crazy even if they don't break any forum rules. I have read several well written posts about how to improve game functions that were presented in a perfectly kosher way that were gone soon after I read it. This has happened on the OW, HS and HotS forums.

Many of the threads that were deleted presented very good FREE ideas but my guess is they don't want their players getting any thoughts of how much better their games can be so they just delete delete delete.
    Easy to say, but I'm not seeing any clear evidence.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    BruceYee said:

Are you talking about these forums, or the Blizz forums for those respective games?
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I have experience recently with being harassed. I've seen it often on Blizzard forums too. They used to be really communicative with their community...but from my experience and what I saw on WoW forums. Say ANYTHING someone doesn't like, agree with or anything they perceive as against their beliefs and they'll harass the developer/person and troll them. They won't even try to have a discussion or anything, just straight up trolling and hating on the developer/gm that posts.

Its no surprise the devs and GMs on WoW forums barely post on their own forums anymore. Anytime they posted anything, they got tons of hate from people who either were trolls or just didn't like their post because they didn't get what they wanted. 
    ManWithNoTan

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    edited October 2017
    Krighton said:
    [mod edit]
    Have you ever talked to the media or made public statements about the company you work for?

In any company I've ever worked for, if I publicly told my clients / customers to "stop crying" then I would be typing my resume by the weekend.
    Post edited by Vaross on
    Kyleran[Deleted User]ManWithNoTan

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Oh my lord,he is using the "feel sorry for me angle" does this guy have any ground to stand on with his own two feet?

Truth is it is far easier to write what sounds good,send it into mmorg.com and have 100% biased articles all the time.Then wonder why someone like me jumps all over them,they are fake agenda articles,no purpose than to persuade the easy sell targets to buy their games.
    In other words Kaplan wants to exploit the lack of laws and create nothing more than a positive aura around Blizzard,NOT an accurate one just one Blizzard is allowed to paint of themselves.

It took me a very long time to figure Blizzard out and not until i stuck around hearthstone and Diablo for many years did i find out what a crooked operation they are.

Brad is the ONLY guy who took to the forums,he stick behind his product instead of hiding and sending in biased articles to websites to butter them up.I think i am not alone in respecting Brad for that.took a lot of heat but at least he showed up instead of counting his money in bank Vault.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sorry my typing is usually bad but i am very sick so i noticed i even missed words,broken English ftw ..sigh.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Because gamers are per norm awful person, extremely entitled and will happily crucify a developer publicly if they hear something they don't like.

It's more often seeing devs fleeing from discussing with their community, hence why the PR filter stands mid-way that will be the community management.
  • jaymesbondjaymesbond Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Kyleran said:
    BruceYee said:

Easy to say, but I'm not seeing any clear evidence.
    Obviously there's no evidence because it has been deleted.

SBFord said:
    It's a real bad sign to use the actions of a small portion of the population as an excuse.  Look, if people act out of line or break the rules, that is what the moderators are for, don't use their actions as an excuse to not answer to criticisms.

From the article, "Once we say we're working on something, we're not allowed to 'take it back'. It's set in stone."  What are we, as players, supposed to take from a statement like that?  Never take a game developer at their word?  Never hold them accountable to their own statements?  Their words and statements mean nothing?  Hey, when plans change, say plans have changed.  Something that game developers once thought was possible to implement turns out to not be so.  Just inform the players, don't go into a semantics battle by saying things like, "We never used the word 'promise.'"
    MadFrenchieGdemami
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Too many people head hunting these days. No one can appreciate anything or allow anyone to appreciate anything. Everyone feels a need to poop in someone's cheerios. We are all guilty of it but there are those that go out of their way to continually do it. If a dev defends themselves then they are in the wrong for not acting professional. If they do nothing to feed the troll then they are viewed as hiding something for not saying something. 

Personally attacked or what not is expecting today on the internet especially from the gaming community. You need a thick skin for internet interaction, the question is, who is at fault? The gamers who provoke this? Or the devs for becoming reclusive because of these idiots?

Rhoklaw said:
    From my experience, you can't go wrong with honesty. So the question is, why be intimidated? Either you believe in your product or you don't. What some player decides to spew on your forums should really have zero impact. I actually find it amusing that any developer would say this.
     I don't think they care about the people who "say things". I wouldn't.

I think they care about the nut jobs who "say things" and then take it upon themselves to stalk the developers, find their houses, that sort of thing.

I mean, would you want some gamer nut job to start sending you messages and "stuff" to your house? On the surface it might seem "funny" but what happens when some guy (it's just going to be a guy) decides to pay you a visit?

Some of these people have no boundaries.
    SBFord[Deleted User]

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Wizardry said:
    Sorry my typing is usually bad but i am very sick so i noticed i even missed words,broken English ftw ..sigh.
    We all hope you feel better. o:)
    Ghavrigg

• MoNight78MoNight78 Member CommonPosts: 4
    Why is it that devs get some free pass on it being scary? It's scary for anyone that has an audiance. Why do gamers always have to be painted as this horrible group of people? I bet it's 'scary' to be a female singer and make an instagram post, but they still do it everyday because they know how important it is to their fans.
    GhavriggGdemami