Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Impressions - TheHiveLeader - Divinity Original Sin 2 Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageFirst Impressions - TheHiveLeader - Divinity Original Sin 2 Videos - MMORPG.com

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a freakin' awesome RPG. Plain and simple. Even though he hasn't played it long, TheHiveLeader just couldn't miss out. So join Hivey for a short and quick look at DOS 2.

Read the full story here

Comments

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Because everyone deserves a 2nd... 3rd... 4th... 15th chance am I right?
    Haha THL always cracks me up :P
    wingoodghettocelebThunder073Mitarabartoni33CazrielTenohira
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    For me this game is 9.5/10. Don't remember when was the last time any game hooked me so much.
    ghettocelebAdminMadFrenchieThunder073KisaMisa
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I could not get past the terrible camera looking down on hollow looking characters with some line drawn around our character,i guess we need to know what player is our character...sigh.
    If this was 1990,i could see some interest but in 2017 it just looks like a cheap game.It looks more like a arpg setting and all the models look small to puny,barely visible overhead looks.

To me this is something that belongs in the archives,an old game perhaps some play time if nothing better out there but luckily we have tons better out there.
    GeekyFrodoFraginsThunder073orthenePhixion13MitaraMaurgrimIselinBananaSoupSirAgravaineand 20 others.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I've already lost three hours to it, and I've barely scratched the surface on the island. My first play through I'm trying to keep to a main storyline. This is hard with all of the great voice acting tempting me to get side-tracked. I think everything looks and plays great. It would be nice to have the combat look a bit clearer, when characters are in close quarters. Great game for when you want to slow down and be part of a story.
    GeekyPhixion13thighhighs

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    20 hours and he has barely scratched it, now that is what I like to hear. 

How sad that some people cannot see past some of the intentional camera views and style this type of gaming is about and sincerely think it is a flaw. Well your loss.
    SinakuMagikarpsGhostGeekyThupliPhixion13Mitarabartoni33Cazrielinfomatz
    Chamber of Chains
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Wizardry said:
    I could not get past the terrible camera looking down on hollow looking characters with some line drawn around our character,i guess we need to know what player is our character...sigh.
    If this was 1990,i could see some interest but in 2017 it just looks like a cheap game.It looks more like a arpg setting and all the models look small to puny,barely visible overhead looks.

To me this is something that belongs in the archives,an old game perhaps some play time if nothing better out there but luckily we have tons better out there.
    Have you even played this yet?  Why did I even ask, of course you didn't.
    FrodoFraginsortheneMitaraGhavriggalivenChaserzbartoni33CazrielAegiris

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Wizardry said:

I mean this is clearly just not your type of game then plain and simple. You are definitely entitled to your opinion even if I wholeheartedly disagree. The story of this game is phenomenal. Never have I felt like I was truly impacting the story or world of a game as much as when I play Divinity OS 2. Clear influence from pen and paper and CRPGs like Baldur's Gate really set you up to know that your character development will be fantastic.

Easily one of the best RPGs I have played within the last 10 years. I have a group of 3 others that I play with often, and a duo run that we have already sunk 40 hours into.
    orthenePhixion13bartoni33CazrielAegiris
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    This game is...awesome and brings me back to why I got addicted to RPGs almost 30 years ago. I am at the verge of escaping the island but my team is too weak and I just don't know where to find the kills/quests to lvl them up. Make no mistake this is a TOUGH game but so rewarding and immersive.
    mazutThupliPhixion13bartoni33

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I didn't play the first one but this one looks pretty good. Gives me that old school RPG vibe.
    Phixion13
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Haven't been able to sink a whole lot of time into this, but it seems very well polished and quite fun provided you have some time to get into it.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    This game has massive replayability depending on who you pick to play, what class or race is all it takes to get different outcomes.  Probably the best modern RPG on the market today.  There are tons of hidden things all over that you might not be able to get if you don't have a particular skill in the party.  Any game that lets you talk to the animals automatically gets a plus 1 from me at the get go.  For anyone that likes RPG's it is worth it to at least give it a go, they did a ton of work on this one and it is pretty well polished.

bartoni33
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

Wizardry said:

Just because you do not like isometric view RPG's with rich stories and mechanics doesn't mean they are not good, they just are not good for you, which however misguided, is fine.
    MitaraQSatuCapodecinaCazrielSaltyDog79
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    I'm still finding it hard to play DOS-1. I don't dislike it. I just can't get drawn in, and I hate the stupid "puzzles". I don't want to move a vase every 20 feet, and so far that is what DOS 1 feels like.

How much better is DOS2?
    Mitara
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2017
    DMKano said:

Admin said:

This game is...awesome and brings me back to why I got addicted to RPGs almost 30 years ago. I am at the verge of escaping the island but my team is too weak and I just don't know where to find the kills/quests to lvl them up. Make no mistake this is a TOUGH game but so rewarding and immersive.

Tough you say? Go for all summoner builds - becomes a faceroll.

Divinity games - never ever play melee or non-magic user period.
    Control melee isn't bad at all.

You can get shields which grant a high amount of physical damage between two characters with shield bounce.  Clearing the phys, then use battering ram, battle stomp, and crippling blow.  Later on in the island you can even buy a straight taunt.

I feel the armor system alleviates a lot of the frustration I suffered in the first title regarding status effects.  And if you're heavy into warfare and strength, you can easily bulk your tank up to the point that it's nigh impossible for the enemy to stop your advance through your armor prior to reaching your intended target.

I will say that, whenever you get the chance, you should always sneak your casters into advantageous positions prior to starting a fight.  Makes a world of difference when the enemy has to use all their AP up just to get in range of your casters, who the proceed to blast the shit out of them without having to spend any AP of their own repositioning.  Also, rogue DW damage spikes fairly quickly, and being able to teleport behind an enemy, coupled with the movement speed that comes with scoundrel and adrenaline, means your Rogue almost always gets to their target in a single turn.
    SaltyDog79

Nyctelios said:
    Golelorn said:
    I'm still finding it hard to play DOS-1. I don't dislike it. I just can't get drawn in, and I hate the stupid "puzzles". I don't want to move a vase every 20 feet, and so far that is what DOS 1 feels like.

How much better is DOS2?
    It is the same thing of "put the vase over the poison pit" bit every 2 maps or so.DMKano said:

Admin said:

Tough you say? Go for all summoner builds - becomes a faceroll.

Divinity games - never ever play melee or non-magic user period.
    Yeah... I created a knight and I'm regretting a lot. 
    Knight is a tough one early on, for sure.

• SlorgSlorg Member UncommonPosts: 37
    For me, I think this game's story, character development and depth were incredible. What turned me off was the combat. Not a knock on the game by any stretch, heck that's the staple of the game. Just wasn't my cup of tea in regards to the pace. If you do like the turn based style definitely check it out!
    [Deleted User]
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Here's the thing, I owned but never played #1. Should I go through 1 before slogging through 2? Or just skip to 2?
    Nyctelios said:
    Ikeda said:
    Here's the thing, I owned but never played #1. Should I go through 1 before slogging through 2? Or just skip to 2?
    You don't miss much by skipping the first one. They do a pretty good job explaining what happened in the past events (world building is very good).

Also, if you enjoy it, you can always go back and play the first one after the second.
    Nyctelios is spot on.  I would play the first if they applied some of the changes from the second to the first.

I couldn't get into the first, but am thoroughly enjoying the second.
    Kiori001

• ElthiumElthium Member UncommonPosts: 88
    90 hours in and just arrived at Bloodmoon Isle. Many more hours to go...
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    In the irony of irony its one of those games thats so deep its too deep. Because until someone plays through every possible scenario (which might be impossible there wont be any guides or how tos for it, and that is what everyone looks for. Everyone wanting the 'perfect' game, and even though everyone claims to want something that takes forever or where a decision actually does make a difference in how the game plays,...they really dont. because they will read or hear of someone getting a 'better' outcome and get pissed. Or maybe start over. Depending.

Thats why its ironic. Yeah there will be a few hundred people maybe who play it the 'right' way but the vast majority who are sucked into it now havent heard of the stuff they missed out on yet.

But yes its almost the 'perfect' game in terms of gamePLAY as in its going to be very hard to get a guide through most of it beyond maybe finding a flower or a treasure or something. But know HOW to answer a question is impossible because the responses are based on skills/traits you may or may not even have.

That obviously gives it a lot of playability, but another irony, the endings I doubt will be different enough to make people feels its worth it.

Be interesting to see just what people have come up with after the first month in terms of 'how to' guides. Hopefully nothing noteworthy.
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    It's fantastic.

Game I have been waiting for. I'm at 145 hours (with 30 of it being EA) and had to stop a little bit into the last act. A few bugs have been popping up. I like to be a bit thorough which is why I stopped but you can totally still beat it. Fantastic RPG, awesome twist on the usual fantasy tropes.

Running Knight, Shadowblade, Summoner, Enchanter with no issues. Going to push it for Honour mode in the same build.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Wizardry said:

zigalucard[Deleted User]GhavriggcheyaneRelampagobartoni33Aegiris

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    I think Im gonna go play some Pong ... :)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wizardry said:

Man you crack me up! You're as predictable as a bowel movement in the morning... unless you're constipated that is... are you? Is that what drives you?

I hope you crack yourself up as much as you crack us up. It just wouldn't be fair if you didn't. I mean... all the fun you'd be missing if you actually took yourself seriously. Or maybe you cracked yourself up a few too many times. Is that it?

Anywho... keep them coming! Your pecu... unique drib... opinions always make my day.
    Forgrimm
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:

He's a Wizard. He makes crap out of his crappy comments. Oh wait.... It's no sorcery.