Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

J.Lo, Shaq & Marshawn Lynch Introduce San Francisco Roster - Overwatch Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageJ.Lo, Shaq & Marshawn Lynch Introduce San Francisco Roster - Overwatch Videos - MMORPG.com

NRG eSports, the force behind the San Francisco branch of the Overwatch League, has put out a new video to introduce the team roster. It's packed with celebrity appearances in the form of Shaquille O'Neal, Marshawn Lynch and J.Lo, all three of whom are investors in the team...and rather awkwardly sounding "stoked" during their segments.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Cheesy ;/
    SBFordXingbairongMrMelGibsonwinghaven1Cryolitycal
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Dauzqul said:

Cheesy ;/

af...

Honestly I'd be more interested if they used famous players/streamers than celebrities that couldn't care less about the game.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I wonder if Shaq will use this platform to convince us the planet is flat lol.  I wish I was joking.
  • ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Waste of $$$
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736
    edited September 2017
    Wow. Those people are really great ambassadors of the gaming community. I'm so glad I was privileged enough to hear what they had to say about Overwatch and their insight is greatly valuable. Something like this is what gaming is all about.

By the way, let's not pretend we are surprised. I mean really, Activision is absurdly known for pulling stunts like these by adding pop-culture celebrities into game advertisements. Call of Duty anyone? All I'm saying is: I'm not surprised, let alone impressed and uncomfortably cheesed out after watching this.
    MrMelGibson
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I don't see the appeal of stars being paid to say cheesy stuff about games. But it works. People will see this and want to play the game because someone they like said something about it. It's really strange that this form of advertisement works but it does.
    Allerleirauhsschrupp
  • kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Yall are dumb "af", these celebrities invested into this team, they were not paid to introduce them. I think your all just jealous honestly. PS I liked the video
    pantaro
  • PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I heard Shaq is playing on one knee... :P

I retired retroactively..Haha

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    These DPS players sure seem like a lot of overlap in hero pools.
  • CapodecinaCapodecina Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Tidal launch allover again lol
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Someday when I'm picking through the ruins of our civilisation after the nuclear holocaust /global flooding /asteroid impact /zombie apocalypse I'm going to be sharing stories with other younger survivors of the absurdities of my era.

This will feature prominently.   ;)
    pantaroCecropia

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Fake emotions, fake hype, fake everything. Sorry
    CryolitycalXarko
  • GnogGnog Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Man this video was so cringe-worthy on so many levels!! Plus "Wild Wild West" playing in the background, hahahaha. Ahhh, I'm glad I'm too old for this garbage.
    SBFordJunglecharly
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:
    Someday when I'm picking through the ruins of our civilisation after the nuclear holocaust /global flooding /asteroid impact /zombie apocalypse I'm going to be sharing stories with other younger survivors of the absurdities of my era.

I hear this often - people talking about being survivors of the global nuclear holocaust - I doubt many really grasp the unimaginable misery survivors would face for decades.

Nuclear winter, starvation, disease, life underground/shelter for years without seeing sunlight, etc....

Looking at it realistically - would you really want to survive?
    Stop wrecking our Fallout fantasies with your damn realism, Kano! >:(
    Kyleran

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:

I hear this often - people talking about being survivors of the global nuclear holocaust - I doubt many really grasp the unimaginable misery survivors would face for decades.

Nuclear winter, starvation, disease, life underground/shelter for years without seeing sunlight, etc....

Looking at it realistically - would you really want to survive?
    I dunno, but I'd probably find that "meaningful" PVP that I'm always looking for.

;)
    Azaron_NightbladeMadFrenchie

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    More money in advertising than the game is worth.
    The video gameplay is a lot of spammy eye sores.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Wizardry said:

The video gameplay is a lot of spammy eye sores.
    Just like every comment of yours lol.
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    edited October 2017
    Welp, these people are not paid to talk like this. They actually invested around 5 million dollars of their own money into this NRG squad the last time I checked and even more before that. They are out for sponsorship money, not for your kids' affections. The hype is needed as NRG dropped buttload of cash to buy out Luminosity Gaming's Overwatch squad ... just to move on to be the joke of Overwatch's pro scene. They reiterated and they remained the joke of the OW's pro scene. This roster is supposedly slick and will be top tier. Problem is, 2 of the DPS players are not 18 years old yet, so they cannot compete until January of next year. This team needs hype more than anything else right now. It never hurts to educate yourself before making a donkey out of yourself!

EDIT: Not to mention that buying a city spot for the Overwatch League costs about 20 million dollars. Let that thought sink in.
    Post edited by Leon1e on