Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Best PVP MMOs of All Time - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Ultima, DAoC, Anarchy Online, WAR and Guild Wars 1. Why bother with anything else? =)

GW1 was so imbalanced - the Dual professions were never balanced right.

• mykonosmykonos Member UncommonPosts: 2
    SHADOWBANE, I love it

• suzumizusuzumizu Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Someone did say in some other post that no one actually read anything, and ppl would just look at pics anyways

I think someone read some comments hahaha...
    [Deleted User]
  • HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 102
    I'm getting verklempt looking at these nostalgic screenshots. Missing my DAoC Smite Cleric about now. :)
    The list seems pretty fair. I always gravitate toward PvP servers and wish there was more open world pvp in every game.
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited September 2017
    Hell yeah, DAOC was the best pvp I've ever played. Nothing has ever came close to comparing to the RvR and realm pride we had back in the day playin. I can still remember calls going out "they're on our relics" people run straight into whatever mobs they could to die and get to the portal pads as fast as they could. what was cool was we'd all gather and go as a massive herd, we took people in their 20s, 30,s 40s, didnt care what level they were everyone contributed with run speed/heals/buffs whatever. Best game and community ever to me. The battlegrounds were just awesome too. Good times.
    IselinRealizerAlomar
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Rawyn said:
    Hell yeah, DAOC was the best pvp I've ever played. Nothing has ever came close to comparing to the RvR and realm pride we had back in the day playin. I can still remember calls going out "they're on our relics" people run straight into whatever mobs they could to die and get to the portal pads as fast as they could. what was cool was we'd all gather and go as a massive herd, we took people in their 20s, 30,s 40s, didnt care what level they were everyone contributed with run speed/heals/buffs whatever. Best game and community ever to me. The battlegrounds were just awesome too. Good times.
    100% correct.

That real sense of community we had that would make us want to drop whatever we were doing to answer the call when the realm was in need is what I miss most in MMOs these days. The DAoC core servers (I played on Guin) didn't really have PVE players and PVP players. We all did both.

The way content is presented in MMOs these days feels like you're supposed to pick mutually exclusive types of content. You're a "PVPer" or "PVEr" or a "soloer" or a "raider." And the different types seem to go out of the way to dis and blame the others for whatever they feel is wrong with their preferred type of content.

DAoC was a whole game and we played it that way. Maybe a part of it was the times and those of us who played it. But I think it was also built with the thought that it should all tie-in together: Realm-wide PVE buffs based on PVP outcomes; entry into a prime PVE dungeon (Darkness Falls) also based on PVP outcomes and then the need to clean out the previous owners so we could PVE in relative peace.

I had hopes that ESO would also work that way but the 2015 player base did not want to have entry into its version of Darkness Falls (the Imperial City) restricted in any way. So it's open all the time to all 3 alliances. There were polls and the player opinion overwhelmingly wanted it that way. The typical opinion seemed to be "I paid for it so I want to go into it any time I please." Such a waste of a perfect opportunity to create a strong RVR/PVE connection.

Times have changed I guess.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Alomar
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

Just pics this time. No one reads it anyway. :D

I read them, wtf! I want to know your reasoning for it, otherwise it's just a list. And by the way not the best list...

Pirates of the Burning Sea?
    Planetside 2?
    GW2, ESO - LOL

Le sigh.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

kinido said:

Why isn't Lineage II on this list? o.O

I wonder more about Lineage 1... Not to mention Guildwars, it had awesome PvP but I agree that DaoC should top.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Strange list.. missing some heavy hitters and includes some really strange titles... But at least you got #1 right and for that, all else is forgiven.
  • ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Shadowbane was the best. Never liked PvP much in any game other than shadowbane where I really loved it.... Wish they had been able to keep that game going and ironed out some of the glitches and polished it more.

good list

---
    Ethion

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    I just came in to make sure Daoc was in the right spot. All is still right with the world....
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    Planetside 1 > Planetside 2
    Guild Wars 1 > Guild Wars 2

Agree that DAOC > all. Relics? Darkness Falls?

Modern large scale pvp games like Gw2, ESO, PS2 get stale quickly because its just a never ending keep capture merry-go-round with nothing ever on the line.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    All I remember about DAoC was getting one shot by stealthers all the time....
    Mendel
  • lindenmeyerlindenmeyer Member UncommonPosts: 55
    No Lineage 2? something wrong here.
  • GunnJDGunnJD Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited September 2017
    Bill, you're killing me! :D

Asheron's Call Darktide was easily the first, best mmorpg PVP experience. (More tactical than UO).

AC wasn't on the other list either, but was always a better game for PVP than PVE imo.

Ah, Dereth.
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    bleh planetside 2 made your list and not the more enjoyable original .
  • ShelvinarrShelvinarr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    I see several games didn't make the list..Asheron's Call, Lineage 2, Warhammer Online....some of the best PvP I've ever experienced happened in two of those games, and they don't make games similar to AC anymore..where skill mattered more than the gear or levels you had. I'll never forget the first time I saw a lvl 67 fast cast/slide cast a lvl 6 War Magic spell in a duel or seeing that same lvl 67 beat countless "max level" characters who in every right, between gear and levels (higher stats), should have won.
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    Some of the top most on this list I could never agree with.. Guild wars 2 over Guild wars 1? Elder scrolls online?

I actually enjoyed WoW battleground in AV way more than I ever enjoyed PvP in Guild Wars 2 or Elder scrolls.

I would also like to add Tibia to this list from it's earlier years 2003-2005.

Never had the chance to play the older games on this list like DAoC, Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima Online... Sadly. Which I had.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    What about a list for best combat to see which ones come up on the list as well?

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

rodarin said:

Once again another failed list with  obvious games not mentioned...Fallen Earth. I mean if PotBS makes the list Fallen Earth most definitely has to. Not to mention Warhammer. One MIGHT make an argument PvP wasnt a 'cornerstone' but it wouldnt be a very good one. Also Life is Feudal your own. Semantics with the 'released' part but I would say considering theyre making a full fledged MMO now the YO portion is released. Not sure what the official word is on that. But suffice to say theyre not going to be doing a lot of work on it going forward and havent done a lot of work on it the past 18 months.

So there is a blatantly obvious one and a couple that might fall into a semantics category.

PotBS was the best friggin PvP I've ever seen anywhere... It's just a game no one played so no one knew to appreciate it.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I always felt like a baby lamb in every PVP game.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    edited September 2017
    Iselin said:
    100% correct.

That real sense of community we had that would make us want to drop whatever we were doing to answer the call when the realm was in need is what I miss most in MMOs these days. The DAoC core servers (I played on Guin) didn't really have PVE players and PVP players. We all did both.

The way content is presented in MMOs these days feels like you're supposed to pick mutually exclusive types of content. You're a "PVPer" or "PVEr" or a "soloer" or a "raider." And the different types seem to go out of the way to dis and blame the others for whatever they feel is wrong with their preferred type of content.

DAoC was a whole game and we played it that way. Maybe a part of it was the times and those of us who played it. But I think it was also built with the thought that it should all tie-in together: Realm-wide PVE buffs based on PVP outcomes; entry into a prime PVE dungeon (Darkness Falls) also based on PVP outcomes and then the need to clean out the previous owners so we could PVE in relative peace.

I had hopes that ESO would also work that way but the 2015 player base did not want to have entry into its version of Darkness Falls (the Imperial City) restricted in any way. So it's open all the time to all 3 alliances. There were polls and the player opinion overwhelmingly wanted it that way. The typical opinion seemed to be "I paid for it so I want to go into it any time I please." Such a waste of a perfect opportunity to create a strong RVR/PVE connection.

Times have changed I guess.
    I was on Guinevere too <waves>. Guinevere was such a great community of people on all sides. We all worked together and had so many years of fun in those early years. Loved, loved, loved Dark Age of Camelot. Three cheers to Mark Jacobs and his team that created it. Those were some of the most epic battles I've had in pvp and I really hope Camelot Unchained will be my next loved RvR game for a long time.
    IselinMadFrenchie

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Yeah, I'm with a lot of other people here. Warhammer Online's RvR system was really ahead of its time and the only thing that existed at end-game when it came out. Pushing the other faction back and taking over their capitol was what the entire game was about for the longest time.

...i miss Warhammer Online. :'(
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    edited September 2017
    We do read the blurb Bill, just try not to make it more than a sentence or anyone under 25 will complain the post is abusive.

I have to call out GW2 here, do not see how it makes the list, apart from that spot on. And notice how many of the tops MMOs now and yesteryear are MMOs with top PvP.
  • PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145

SBFord said:

Just pics. @BillMurphy thought that would open discussion better. :)

Bill's getting lazy in his old age. I'll let it slide because he's a yuge DAOC fan.
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!