Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any other MMOs like Path of Exile?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
Are there any other MMOs like Path of Exile?

I know there is sorta Diablo 3, but that is more a singleplayer experience. Torchlight, but that is singleplayer as well. And Titan Quest, but that is definitely singleplayer.

Any actual MMOs though that are like PoE? Or is PoE pretty much the best there is? Is PoE pretty much the pinnacle of the top down loot based in its genre? I guess Ultima Online could sorta count, but its really different.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

ExcessionIselin

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I play POE in hardcore mode and I think it is the best but i'm biased and I can only play in hardcore. 

Here are others:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/219990/Grim_Dawn/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/345180/Victor_Vran_ARPG/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200710/Torchlight_II/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/475150/Titan_Quest_Anniversary_Edition/

I prefer POE, I dabbled in Grim Dawn, but never gave it a fair shake if I'm still addicted to POE. 

Cryomatrix
    Tsiya
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    edited September 2017
    Devilian. Guardians of Ember. Mu Legends will be available soon. Lost Ark may be available some time down the road. Marvel Heroes if you like comics.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Just do a Google search on Action Role Playing Games (ARPG) as this is what this style of game has been called since first made popular by Diablo 1.

ForgrimmMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

If you want an actual MMO (which Path of Exile isn't), Marvel Heroes.
    It's pretty obvious why he created the thread. Starting to wonder if Narius bought his account.
    [Deleted User]NildenMrMelGibsonKyleranpsychosiz1
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Just do a Google search on Action Role Playing Games (ARPG) as this is what this style of game has been called since first made popular by Diablo 1.

Thanks :) However many ARPG are singleplayer focused. Was more wondering if there was any MMORPG ones like PoE. 

Though I'll take a look at Marvel heroes. I have heard of it but never really looked more into it. Thanks @SedrynTyros :)
    Excession

Kyleran said:

Thanks :) However many ARPG are singleplayer focused. Was more wondering if there was any MMORPG ones like PoE. 

Though I'll take a look at Marvel heroes. I have heard of it but never really looked more into it. Thanks @SedrynTyros :)
    PoE is an ARPG, like Diablo, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, Victor Vran, etc. If you want an actual MMOARPG you have Guardians of Ember, Devilian, Marvel Heroes, Mu Legends.
    MrMelGibsonKyleran
    edited September 2017
    Also it is an MMORPG, look here...

http://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/path-of-exile (direct forum link).

Now look above the threads and look at MMORPG.com description of the game

Discussions / Path of Exile

Path of Exile is a free-to-play persistent online action MMO from Grinding Gear Games

Look at the "action MMO". So it isn't an MMORPG, but it is an MMO.
    MrMelGibsonExcessionKyleranpsychosiz1

Also it is an MMORPG, look here...

http://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/path-of-exile (direct forum link).

Now look above the threads and look at MMORPG.com description of the game

Discussions / Path of Exile

Path of Exile is a free-to-play persistent online action MMO from Grinding Gear Games

Look at the "action MMO". So it isn't an MMORPG, but it is an MMO.
    http://http//store.steampowered.com/app/238960/Path_of_Exile/
    Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in a dark fantasy world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_of_Exile
    Path of Exile is a free-to-play online action role-playing video game developed and published by Grinding Gear Games.

https://www.pathofexile.com/game

Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast.

MrMelGibsonKyleran
    I don't care what you call it or what other sites say. MMORPG.com lists it as an MMO.

Massively also calls it an MMO

http://massivelyop.com/tag/path-of-exile/

Official Site: Path of Exile
    Studio: Grinding Gear Games
    Launch Date: October 23, 2013
    Genre: Gothic Fantasy MMOARPG

So you can call it whatever you want, I'm going to keep calling Path of Exile an MMO as said by both two major MMORPG sites, Massively and MMORPG. 
    ExcessionKyleranpsychosiz1

So you can call it whatever you want, I'm going to keep calling Path of Exile an MMO as said by both two major MMORPG sites, Massively and MMORPG. 
    And I'm going to be the bigger person and put you on ignore, since it's become obvious that your new interest here is to instigate the same arguments over and over again.
    NephethNildenMrMelGibsonKyleranpsychosiz1
    Forgrimm said:

And I'm going to be the bigger person and put you on ignore, since it's become obvious that your new interest here is to instigate the same arguments over and over again.
    Now at least we can get back on topic.

Thanks for the suggestions for games :) Marvel Heroes looks great, and seems to get good feedback for the most part. Though I think PoE looks kinda the best of them all, because so many character builds and endgame content one can do. But its nice to see what is around.

Btw, does anyone have a good character build for a  Witch in PoE that is focused on summoning hordes of undead? I guess not following a build can lead your character to be really nerfed.
    Excession

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2017

Im not gonna post a Poll for this one but  i will give you the results ..

Is Path of Exiles an MMO ?

210 Votes

No:   87.5%

Yes:  12.5%

Post edited by Scorchien on
    [Deleted User]GdemamiNildenMrMelGibson
    edited September 2017
    Scorchien said:

210 Votes

Yes:  12.5

you seem to care very much what someone calls a game. But really, who gives a crap about if someone calls Skyrim co-op mod an MMO-esque experience or what they call a game or if path of exiles is an MMO not (like massively AND MMORPG say it is). Doesn't hurt my game experience any, but it seems to very much trigger you into making a comment because it somehow hurts whatever MMO you are or not playing. 

But let me tell you, no one cares.
    Excession

edited September 2017
    Scorchien said:

210 Votes

you seem to care very much what someone calls a game. But really, who gives a crap about if someone calls Skyrim co-op mod an MMO-esque experience or what they call a game. Doesn't hurt my game experience any, but it seems to very much trigger you into making a comment because it somehow hurts whatever MMO you are or not playing. 

odd ... there is the Pot calling the Kettle black .. you care more than anyone on this site ir possibly the entire interent , how these games are catergorized..

btw ...

GGG catergorizes there own game as .....

"    Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast."

Seems to me the developers in each of these instances is labeling there game correctly , its just some ignorant others who dont know what they are playing
    NephethGdemamiMrMelGibsonKyleranpsychosiz1
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

210 Votes

you seem to care very much what someone calls a game. But really, who gives a crap about if someone calls Skyrim co-op mod an MMO-esque experience or what they call a game. Doesn't hurt my game experience any, but it seems to very much trigger you into making a comment because it somehow hurts whatever MMO you are or not playing. 

odd ... there is the ot calling the Kettle black .. you care more than anyone on this site ir possibly the entire interent , how these games are catergorized..

btw ...

GGG catergorizes there own game as .....

"    Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast."

Seems to me the developers in each of these instances is labeling there game correctly , its just some ignorant others who dont know what they are playing
    Who cares? I'm calling PoE an MMO (like MMORPG.com AND Massively say it is), got a problem with that?

If that bothers you enough, keep ranting away in every thread and post that you don't agree with what the game is. But really no one cares if someone calls a game an MMO or not, except you because you seem to keep posting away at it. 

So onto the topic. Does anyone have a good Witch Summoning build? The talent tree in PoE is huge so its kinda overwhelming if I'm doing a good build or not lol
    Excession

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    edited September 2017

I know there is sorta Diablo 3, but that is more a singleplayer experience. Torchlight, but that is singleplayer as well. And Titan Quest, but that is definitely singleplayer.

Any actual MMOs though that are like PoE? Or is PoE pretty much the best there is? Is PoE pretty much the pinnacle of the top down loot based in its genre? I guess Ultima Online could sorta count, but its really different.
    D3 is regularly played with four players at end game if that's your thing.  POE has group sizes of 6 I believe, but is rarely played with that many outside of daily rotations.  I think Diablo 2 had groups of 5 maybe?

I break ARPGs down into two categories:

1) those with dedicated servers - D2, D3, POE, Marvel Heroes, Devilian
    2) those without dedicated servers - Torchlight 1&2, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, Van Helsing, Victor Vran

I believe most of the games listed in category 2 offer co-op play(I know TL1 doesn't and haven't tried Victor Vran yet).

I personally don't consider any of them to be true MMO's, but marvel heroes is the closest as it forces you into public zones with other players while doing the story. (DEvilian may as well, I didn't play too long) POE only does this for HUBs.
    TheScavenger

D3 is regularly played with four players at end game if that's your thing.  POE has group sizes of 6 I believe, but is rarely played with that many outside of daily rotations.  I think Diablo 2 had groups of 5 maybe?

1) those with dedicated servers - D2, D3, POE, Marvel Heroes
    2) those without dedicated servers - Torchlight 1&2, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, Van Helsing, Victor Vran

I believe most of the games listed in category 2 offer co-op play(I know TL1 doesn't and haven't tried Victor Vran yet).
    Thanks :) Torchlight 2 actually has 2 person co-op, I play it sometimes with my friend. Its a pretty awesome game, a lot of fun. 

Seems Marvel heroes gets recommended a lot. So I think gonna give it a download and try it out. How is character building in marvel heroes? is it like PoE at all or is it more talent trees like WoW?
    Excession

edited September 2017
    lmao .. you have never seen me rant ... you on the other hand .... well ...........

the passive tree is not overwhelming at all its actually very simple ...

but an easy and quick google search showed ..

https://www.poebuilds.net/srs1

There are many many helpful tools for the ARPG POE ....

And btw , GGG own data show that the vast majority play POE SOLO , well over 80% ..

Gdemami

Thanks :) Torchlight 2 actually has 2 person co-op, I play it sometimes with my friend. Its a pretty awesome game, a lot of fun. 

Seems Marvel heroes gets recommended a lot. So I think gonna give it a download and try it out. How is character building in marvel heroes? is it like PoE at all or is it more talent trees like WoW?
    I added in devilian after your response.   It's also closer to an MMO than POE imo.
    TheScavenger
    edited September 2017

oh and Marvel Heroes use to have trees.  They switched to D3 like skill and paragon systems.  It's available on PC, XBONE and PS4.  the console versions are months ahead in terms of new systems/items though.
    TheScavenger

I added in devilian after your response.   It's also closer to an MMO than POE imo.
    oh nice, Devilian looks up my alley. Kinda a bit more than the Marvel game. Gonna give it a try once its downloaded. Thanks :)
    Excession

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Troll thread in disguise!
    ScorchienForgrimmAzothNildenMrMelGibsonKyleran

Troll thread in disguise!
    Just because you don't like a thread, doesn't make it a troll thread. This is about games similar to PoE that are MMOs and worth playing or at least trying out. And so far really enjoying Devilian
    Excession

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited September 2017
    Forgrimm said:

Great idea. I'm going to put him on ignore and not bother to read any of his threads anymore. It's just blatant trolling and massive stupidity at this point.

Also Path of Exile is not a MMO.
    ForgrimmGdemamiKyleran

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited September 2017
    Why are some of you so anal about the abbreviation MMO? The OP is clearly interested in the multiplayer aspect of PoE. PoE is not a lobby game, you encounter random players in its world just like in a MMO. It has quests, you can chose to group with ppl you encounter to do said quests and its an open world.  It is just not your traditional idea of a MMO. This is also what makes PoE very different from Diablo3, Torchlight 2 and Titan like some suggested to the OP. But that it is not the point here.

The point here is that the OP asked if there are similar ARPG's like PoE with an open to everyone world. And didn't ask for a discussion about what makes a MMO.

Oh and please stop being so hung up about the word MMO.

Just to be clear : ARPG and MMO are not exclusive. A game can be both. Whether PoE is both, I really don't care, but MMO is not a game genre. It is just a set of features that can belong to many different game genres.

ExcessionKyleranFrodoFraginsGolelorn