Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Best PVP MMOs of All Time - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,648
    But whats up with lack of WAR ?

Anything can be said about the game but its PVP was amazing , and it was the thing everyone enjoyed

Its pure opinion, whats up with it is that their opinion doesnt include WAR
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Some of the games are pve games that have pvp. (Looking at ESO) And then excluded other games that do the same. (WoW)

Funny thing about Eve, most people pve in that game. Its also a sandbox, how can a sandbox be a pvp game? Isn't a sandbox just a framework of mechanics with no real direction till the player decides what they are going to do? So if one player does pve and one does pvp it suddenly becomes a pvp game?

I think games like Darkfall are truly a pvp game and it reflects the niche that a true pvp centric mmorpg is.
    Alomar
  • synfragsynfrag Member CommonPosts: 5
    No Aion?, maybe it's just me but the early days of that we're probably the best experience I ever had. Though from what I've heard L2 was NCSOFTs golden child of PvP.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member RarePosts: 2,078
    Lineage 2 should be in this list , as it is/was very , very focused in the PVP part. You have PvP all over the map, with HUGE Castle Siege events where hundreds of players were PvP'ing.

So yeah! I would of taken Planet Side 2 and add Lineage 2. Other then that, this list seems to be focused on "The Most Loved/Discussed Games from MMORPG.COM with PvP elements" .

"Top 10 BEST...PvP MMOs of all time" is a very wrong title. Darkfall "one of the 10 best pvp mmo of all time?" Wow! ...amazing!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 325
    The 1 thing I know I agree 100% with on this list, is that DAoC is king.
    RawynRhoklawAlomar
  • Nightshade98Nightshade98 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Good to see Shadowbane not getting the shaft, think UO should be up there (especially with Siege Perilous server)....Not really sure how Star Wars fits that deep into the list.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    synfrag said:
    No Aion?, maybe it's just me but the early days of that we're probably the best experience I ever had. Though from what I've heard L2 was NCSOFTs golden child of PvP.
    The first 8 months of Aion was truly amazing.
  • FreelancerNDFreelancerND Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Ultima, DAoC, Anarchy Online, WAR and Guild Wars 1. Why bother with anything else? =)
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 2,928
    Ultima, DAoC, Anarchy Online, WAR and Guild Wars 1. Why bother with anything else? =)

GW1 was so imbalanced - the Dual professions were never balanced right.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

• mykonosmykonos Member UncommonPosts: 2
    SHADOWBANE, I love it

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,336
    Had a great time in both ESO and GW2 pvp. I wish I could have played some of the titles listed on their prime glory but those two hold a special place in my heart in regards to PvP. 
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • suzumizusuzumizu Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Someone did say in some other post that no one actually read anything, and ppl would just look at pics anyways

I think someone read some comments hahaha...
    Torval
  • HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 40
    I'm getting verklempt looking at these nostalgic screenshots. Missing my DAoC Smite Cleric about now. :)
    The list seems pretty fair. I always gravitate toward PvP servers and wish there was more open world pvp in every game.
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited September 2017
    Hell yeah, DAOC was the best pvp I've ever played. Nothing has ever came close to comparing to the RvR and realm pride we had back in the day playin. I can still remember calls going out "they're on our relics" people run straight into whatever mobs they could to die and get to the portal pads as fast as they could. what was cool was we'd all gather and go as a massive herd, we took people in their 20s, 30,s 40s, didnt care what level they were everyone contributed with run speed/heals/buffs whatever. Best game and community ever to me. The battlegrounds were just awesome too. Good times.
    IselinRealizerAlomar
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,654
    Rawyn said:
    Hell yeah, DAOC was the best pvp I've ever played. Nothing has ever came close to comparing to the RvR and realm pride we had back in the day playin. I can still remember calls going out "they're on our relics" people run straight into whatever mobs they could to die and get to the portal pads as fast as they could. what was cool was we'd all gather and go as a massive herd, we took people in their 20s, 30,s 40s, didnt care what level they were everyone contributed with run speed/heals/buffs whatever. Best game and community ever to me. The battlegrounds were just awesome too. Good times.
    100% correct.

That real sense of community we had that would make us want to drop whatever we were doing to answer the call when the realm was in need is what I miss most in MMOs these days. The DAoC core servers (I played on Guin) didn't really have PVE players and PVP players. We all did both.

The way content is presented in MMOs these days feels like you're supposed to pick mutually exclusive types of content. You're a "PVPer" or "PVEr" or a "soloer" or a "raider." And the different types seem to go out of the way to dis and blame the others for whatever they feel is wrong with their preferred type of content.

DAoC was a whole game and we played it that way. Maybe a part of it was the times and those of us who played it. But I think it was also built with the thought that it should all tie-in together: Realm-wide PVE buffs based on PVP outcomes; entry into a prime PVE dungeon (Darkness Falls) also based on PVP outcomes and then the need to clean out the previous owners so we could PVE in relative peace.

I had hopes that ESO would also work that way but the 2015 player base did not want to have entry into its version of Darkness Falls (the Imperial City) restricted in any way. So it's open all the time to all 3 alliances. There were polls and the player opinion overwhelmingly wanted it that way. The typical opinion seemed to be "I paid for it so I want to go into it any time I please." Such a waste of a perfect opportunity to create a strong RVR/PVE connection.

Times have changed I guess.
    RhoklawNycteliosAlomar
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,410
    Iselin said:
    Rawyn said:
    100% correct.

That real sense of community we had that would make us want to drop whatever we were doing to answer the call when the realm was in need is what I miss most in MMOs these days. The DAoC core servers (I played on Guin) didn't really have PVE players and PVP players. We all did both.

The way content is presented in MMOs these days feels like you're supposed to pick mutually exclusive types of content. You're a "PVPer" or "PVEr" or a "soloer" or a "raider." And the different types seem to go out of the way to dis and blame the others for whatever they feel is wrong with their preferred type of content.

DAoC was a whole game and we played it that way. Maybe a part of it was the times and those of us who played it. But I think it was also built with the thought that it should all tie-in together: Realm-wide PVE buffs based on PVP outcomes; entry into a prime PVE dungeon (Darkness Falls) also based on PVP outcomes and then the need to clean out the previous owners so we could PVE in relative peace.

I had hopes that ESO would also work that way but the 2015 player base did not want to have entry into its version of Darkness Falls (the Imperial City) restricted in any way. So it's open all the time to all 3 alliances. There were polls and the player opinion overwhelmingly wanted it that way. The typical opinion seemed to be "I paid for it so I want to go into it any time I please." Such a waste of a perfect opportunity to create a strong RVR/PVE connection.

Times have changed I guess.
    That's not pvp. That's an intramural 3 team sports match.

There is and has been only one name in pvp and that's Lineage. No, seriously L1 was the first and best only to be followed by Lineage 2. All that other shtuff were some great attempts at figuring out what Lineage nailed right the first time. Sort of like how WoW has owned the themepark. :smirk: :lol: 
    IselinRhoklaw
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,257

Just pics this time. No one reads it anyway. :D

I read them, wtf! I want to know your reasoning for it, otherwise it's just a list. And by the way not the best list...

Pirates of the Burning Sea?
    Planetside 2?
    GW2, ESO - LOL

Le sigh.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

kinido said:

Why isn't Lineage II on this list? o.O

I wonder more about Lineage 1... Not to mention Guildwars, it had awesome PvP but I agree that DaoC should top.
    NycteliosTorval
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Strange list.. missing some heavy hitters and includes some really strange titles... But at least you got #1 right and for that, all else is forgiven.
  • ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Shadowbane was the best. Never liked PvP much in any game other than shadowbane where I really loved it.... Wish they had been able to keep that game going and ironed out some of the glitches and polished it more.

good list

---
    Ethion

• Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,574
    I just came in to make sure Daoc was in the right spot. All is still right with the world....
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    Planetside 1 > Planetside 2
    Guild Wars 1 > Guild Wars 2

Agree that DAOC > all. Relics? Darkness Falls?

Modern large scale pvp games like Gw2, ESO, PS2 get stale quickly because its just a never ending keep capture merry-go-round with nothing ever on the line.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 6,944
    All I remember about DAoC was getting one shot by stealthers all the time....
    Mendel
  • lindenmeyerlindenmeyer Member UncommonPosts: 47
    No Lineage 2? something wrong here.
  • GunnJDGunnJD Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited September 2017
    Bill, you're killing me! :D

Asheron's Call Darktide was easily the first, best mmorpg PVP experience. (More tactical than UO).

AC wasn't on the other list either, but was always a better game for PVP than PVE imo.

Ah, Dereth.