Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xbox One Reviews Coming in Bad Due to P2W accusations

Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
Apparently after looking into the reviews for the Xbox One version while I was downloading it, I saw a lot of reviews that were low ratings due to pay to win. The reasoning behind it is, there is expensive packs, and even though cosmetic a lot of players felt upset about that for some reason. In my opinion that's perfectly okay, this is honestly the only free to play game I've ever encountered that wasn't pay to win in any aspect whatsoever and only had cosmetics. 

The only gripe I have is that you have to pay for a stash tab to be able to use the trading board, which I find a little annoying but honestly it's like a dollar fifty, for a completely free to play experience giving them a dollar fifty to use a trading board seems perfectly okay with me. 

Comments

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Pay to win ??

People making such a claim have absolute no idea about what P2W is. Then again from the self entitled and mostly clueless console crowd this is to be expected.
    forcelimaManWithNoTanFrodoFragins
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited August 2017
    ...did they even look at what was IN those packs?  Do they even know what the word "Win" means?

Sigh.  I wish people would stop murdering the English language.
    Panther2103ManWithNoTanKyleran
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Tiamat64 said:
    ...did they even look at what was IN those packs?  Do they even know what the word "Win" means?

Yeah I really wish they would look at the packs. Because I saw one complaining about the 400$ pack, but it's literally 100% cosmetic with some points and maybe a stash tab.

Even the argument that you cannot trade at the marketboard without paying is moot considering you can trade with other players just fine. Plus the marketboard is an awful system to begin with since you cannot sort by anything other than item, which means you have to look through a billion pages / items to find the specific one at the right price. It could take hours!
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Since the late 90's Pay to Win has been applied to cosmetic items. This is nothing new. Why should anyone be surprised when it is applied this way today.
    ManWithNoTan[Deleted User]
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Path of Exile is not pay to win, it's also not a MMO.
    TheScavenger[Deleted User]

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    Nilden said:

It sure is an MMO! :)

I know people like you love to classify the term "MMO" to tailor to your specific needs but MMO means "Massive Multiplayer Online". 

Path of Exile is indeed Massively Multiplayer, and gasp, Online! Thus, MMO.

Hell, it's even an MMORPG because it also classifies as a Role Playing Game! Who woulda thought!?

Before you start pushing your opinions on other people, try to look at the facts.
    Bye!
    KyleranPanther2103TheScavengerIselinFrodoFragins
    Nilden said:

I know people like you love to classify the term "MMO" to tailor to your specific needs but MMO means "Massive Multiplayer Online". 

Hell, it's even an MMORPG because it also classifies as a Role Playing Game! Who woulda thought!?

Before you start pushing your opinions on other people, try to look at the facts.
    Bye!
    We don't need to start this argument in every single thread. Keep it on the main thread that always seems to be going asking what an MMO is. 

An MMO is what you want it to be, some people will always hold differing opinions. It really seems to push peoples buttons when some people think something is an MMO while others do not. I don't see why. 
    [Deleted User]KyleranTheScavenger
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    I see nothing different than what happens in most of the forum talk here.
  • LasterbaLasterba Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Tiamat64 said:

Yeah I really wish they would look at the packs. Because I saw one complaining about the 400$ pack, but it's literally 100% cosmetic with some points and maybe a stash tab.

Even the argument that you cannot trade at the marketboard without paying is moot considering you can trade with other players just fine. Plus the marketboard is an awful system to begin with since you cannot sort by anything other than item, which means you have to look through a billion pages / items to find the specific one at the right price. It could take hours!
    Using poetrade.com is pretty much required for trading.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Torval said:
    This is why meta review bombing is an issue. Complaining about the price or what a game costs is valid and appropriate for comments or a written review. It's not a valid reason to score a game poorly and tank its presence on a store page feed like Steam, Xbox, PlayStation, or W10 Store.
    I don't know if I agree, I see your point but I do feel price,  or specifically value for the price charged is one significant factor in a game's overall rating.

It shouldn't dominate but I can see where if a game goes from a fair price to one considered unreasonable (same for payment model changes) a previous recommendation on a store page might warrant a change to not recommended. 

Now, it would be a bit disingenuous to never have voted before and only  log in to down vote a game you previously enjoyed, but still no rule says you must vote when happy and of course people are more likely to weigh in when they feel slighted. 

I say,  "Bring in the Bombers"  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited September 2017
    Nilden said:

Bye!
    We don't need to start this argument in every single thread. Keep it on the main thread that always seems to be going asking what an MMO is. 

An MMO is what you want it to be, some people will always hold differing opinions. It really seems to push peoples buttons when some people think something is an MMO while others do not. I don't see why. 
    I see posts like his and think to myself, "oh why does he have to say he is from Florida, one more reason for people to mock us"

'Kyleran, making Florida great since 1980'

B)
    Panther2103

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I can see how it can be viewed as "P2W". It's a crappy name, but it's also becoming a shitty trend among devs. For a lot of players, cosmetics/vanity items matter more than lousy gear that'll be outdated the next expansion anyway - but since they figure it doesn't count as "winning", they can gate this behind increasingly insane high prices. Crowfall's fancy castle that you can only get by shelling out $10k is a gross example of this.

In a way this sort of thing IS winning, in the sense that these players can always dangle things in your face that you can NEVER have. On topic though; I don't think PoE is one of those games. They even let you upgrade packages (or used to) - so if you're a dedicated player, you can still get that $400 package over time.
    Kyleran

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2017
    Nilden said:

Bye!

then people shouldn't complain in every thread about what an MMO is or not. He wouldn't even have argued back if the first person (Nilden) didn't say anything about it.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Nilden said:

Bye!

then people shouldn't complain in every thread about what an MMO is or not. He wouldn't even have argued back if the first person (Nilden) didn't say anything about it.
    That's literally what I said. I wasn't pointing at either one I just said this argument needs to stop coming into every thread about every game.
    TheScavenger[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    I don't know if the store is any difference on Xbox but if it's similar to whats on PC than do NOT listen to negative reviews about P2W.  There isnt a single P2W item on the store.  Its either 100% appearance items or convenience as in more bank space.  
    I don't know if the store is any difference on Xbox but if it's similar to whats on PC than do NOT listen to negative reviews about P2W.  There isnt a single P2W item on the store.  Its either 100% appearance items or convenience as in more bank space.  
    It's 100% identical to the pc version. Maybe a little bit less on there.
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    It's 100% identical to the pc version. Maybe a little bit less on there.
    Then anyone claiming its P2W is a fucking idiot.  There's not a single item thats P2W on the store.  Its all Appearance items and convenience with more bank space, like I said before.  My god how pathetic are people.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Gorwe said:
    This makes no sense. Nowadays everything's pay to win. As long as you pay, you supposedly win. How do you win if you get a nice skin? It's not like your hp is going to go up by 20% or that Innocence's gonna swoon and keel over dead. /silly
    the same people complain BDO is pay to win (most things you can buy with in-game silver)...even though its pretty much all cosmetics. The only pay to win thing is not even winning, but like the desert fox helps you survive easier in the desert.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

edited September 2017
    Gorwe said:
    This makes no sense. Nowadays everything's pay to win. As long as you pay, you supposedly win. How do you win if you get a nice skin? It's not like your hp is going to go up by 20% or that Innocence's gonna swoon and keel over dead. /silly
    the same people complain BDO is pay to win (most things you can buy with in-game silver)...even though its pretty much all cosmetics. The only pay to win thing is not even winning, but like the desert fox helps you survive easier in the desert.
    BDO has pets that loot for you, which many people feel is almost essential to playing the game unless you want to pull out your hair.  Path of Exile doesn't even have that much.  (It's pets are 100% cosmetic and don't do anything besides various animations)

Oh, and BDO has ressurection items which are very useful to competitive world bossing (which again, PoE doesn't have)
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited September 2017
    Nilden said:

/disagree

it's also not a P2W system in any way.  Leave it to console reviewers to be simple minded :)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    A cash shop is bad and that is end of discussion.You have no control over it,and no clue as to how intrusive it can become over time.Cash shops are a BLIND future and seeing how arpg's are shallow enough as is,it is a combination for a poor reason to support this stuff.
    I have no idea how people get caught up in this build stuff,especially since most are likely just surfing you tube for the best builds and copying them.
    There is no way a cash shop is ever good,it might be better than some others,but mildly bad is not better than simply supporting better games and better businesses.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Liberals only care about how you look and nothing else so their number one concern about how to win in a game is appearance.  This is where these reviews come from.
    [Deleted User]GorwePanther2103
    edited September 2017
    Wizardry said:
    A cash shop is bad and that is end of discussion.You have no control over it,and no clue as to how intrusive it can become over time.Cash shops are a BLIND future and seeing how arpg's are shallow enough as is,it is a combination for a poor reason to support this stuff.
    I have no idea how people get caught up in this build stuff,especially since most are likely just surfing you tube for the best builds and copying them.
    There is no way a cash shop is ever good,it might be better than some others,but mildly bad is not better than simply supporting better games and better businesses.
    PoE is several years old and the cash shop's never changed at all from offering nothing but cosmetics and bank space.

The fact that this is enough to make people complain really makes me think they probably should have just sold it like... well, every other Diablo-esque game does.  Though they seem to financially be doing okay anyways, I suppose. ("okay" is far from "amazing", though)
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Tiamat64 said:

A stash tab is kind of important in a game like this.  That's a legit complaint, IMO.  Diablo III gives you in-game methods to gain multiple stash tabs (5 or more, I think?).

I think the bigger issue with this game is that the gameplay has literally no depth.  I kept wondering why I couldn't get into it, so I started watching streamers and YouTube videos.  Literally everyone runs around slamming one button killing everything - 2 if you're lucky.  That is not fun gameplay.  Not to me.