Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Best PVP MMOs of All Time - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    No love for WoW. Interesting.
    JamesGoblinghostfaeriesDreycraft

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Amathe said:

For this list’s sake, we’re focusing on games that made PVP a real priority in their design. So while some folks adore and still play World of Warcraft’s Battlegrounds, it’s out of the running. We’re talking about the games (that have already been released) which make player versus player a cornerstone of the gameplay as a whole.

• Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    edited September 2017

Forgrimm said:

Amathe said:

For this list’s sake, we’re focusing on games that made PVP a real priority in their design. So while some folks adore and still play World of Warcraft’s Battlegrounds, it’s out of the running. We’re talking about the games (that have already been released) which make player versus player a cornerstone of the gameplay as a whole.

I don't think they should diminish WoW by claiming 'some folks still adore and play WoW battlegrounds' as if the PvP population isn't larger than any of the games on the list. Blizzard introduced a multitude of PvP specific changes for Legion alone... obviously most of them weren't great, but the point stands. Also consider how Blizzard attempted to push arena as an esport for years... I just don't see how anyone can say PvP has no priority in WoW's development.
    Keldor837Dreycraft
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Agreed Lineage 2 should've been on the list. Other than that, I couldn't agree more. Really happy Shadowbane made it.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    1. DAOC, everything else 100......... Nothing comes close to DAOC in this area and surprisingly it s still king to this day by a mile.

RawynTsiya
  • SavilzSavilz Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Fk yea DAOC - Original Player... I still can't find anything that comes close to the feel of DAOC pvp... God how I miss it back in the days of Emain as a stealther...
    RawynTsiya
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    No Warhammer Online? Strange.
    Because they messed it up when they decided to copy WOW and add 15 minute instanced PVP to it which undermined the RVR when half your force would disappear when the scenario queue popped.

DAoC's 3-sided RvR worked. Warhammer's 2-sided one didn't.
    jmcdermottukCecropiaJamesGoblinTineaOzmodanNyghthowlerViper482
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323
    I love that they did not put WoW on this list, however, I am curious why Warhammer Online wasn't on there. Easily some of the best sieges and small scale pvp. Oh well.
    pantaroJamesGoblinKeldor837
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Iselin said:

No Warhammer Online? Strange.

Because they messed it up when they decided to copy WOW and add 15 minute instanced PVP to it which undermined the RVR when half your force would disappear when the scenario queue popped.

DAoC's 3-sided RvR worked. Warhammer's 2-sided one didn't.

I agree. I'm seriously baffled as to why DAoC's persistent battlegrounds system didn't become more popular.

It's still the absolute best pre-level cap PvP experience I've ever had. Like a mini-frontiers.
    IselinRealizerRawyn

• DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Not a fan of PvP. I can appreciate wanting to have more of a challenge than the typical NPCs bring to PvE. However, for me, in practice, PvP just means getting stomped all the time by kids with fast reflexes, expensive machines, high-end internet connections and/or not so much else they need to do besides spend hours getting good at a game.

I'm hoping they'll produce an interesting list of the top games that didn't make it out of the gate or never really got off the ground. I'm fascinated by potential that didn't get realized, possible greatness brought low by external factors. Hope that one has a lot of writing.
    [Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2017
    Believe it or not FFXI pvp was better than most all of these games and was held in the open game world not some instance.Thing is for the players we had a greater PVE experience so we didn't need pvp to fall back on.I assume also that because pvp was not so much about being better because of gear and more time spent that did not entice more pvp players.
    As to mention of L2,i played that game,never cared to pvp and actually had two players chase me while watching,they were way higher level than me which made it just dumb,how is pvp good if you can just auto win with higher levels/stats.As well they were too lazy to actually incorporate the castle,it was just an outside fake system.I played a game a number of years ago that actually had pvp within the guild halls,so not some fake castle wall.

I seriously don't understand the mentality of pvp in a mmorpg,as you can never replicate a realistic scenario for pvp which is why almost always in some instance.Like why are people pvp'ing in these games,just because it is there or does it make any sense within the game Lore/realm what reasons?
    A very old game named RFO "Rising Force online" used to congregate players together for pvp to earn the rights to an area for farming,it made sense and was part of the reason and the game design,not just some pvp to say you win or beat the other guy.
    Excession[Deleted User]Viper482

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    When i look at PUBG's popularity,it pretty much answered my own question,people are pvp'ing for very shallow reasons,just to say I WIN.So to think adding a rpg element into pvp doesn't change anything except allowing the ability to gaining an advantage through time played or better gear/stats.
    IDK about anyone else but i don't enjoy pvp unless it is straight up across the board fair,NO advantages of any kind.Even in the hayday of Unreal or Quake,people were very adamant about pings to keep the pvp fair,now a days people seem to be more in favor of advantages or unfair pvp even to the point of using cash shops.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Useless without text to explain the choices of the author.
    Leiloni
  • JusTnRJusTnR Member UncommonPosts: 6
    You never played and see Knight Online ? . So u r not a really player . The best pvp all of the time with Knight Online .
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Torval said:

Bill you shall be soundly scolded for not having Lineage on that list, let alone not in the top 5.

It was a great write up. You used words I can understand. :lol:

Agreed!
    [Deleted User]

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    But whats up with lack of WAR ?

Anything can be said about the game but its PVP was amazing , and it was the thing everyone enjoyed
    Keldor837TaishiFox

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Lineage 2 is a must in that list!Open world PK's, full drop, castle sieges, clan war, alliance war...how something like this is not on that list. Even today is one of the most played games and it started before WoW..
    [Deleted User]XophTensionxTazdrago

Beta tester maniac

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Can't disagree with the number one position for sure.
    collektTsiyaNyghthowler
    Chamber of Chains
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Some of the games are pve games that have pvp. (Looking at ESO) And then excluded other games that do the same. (WoW)

Funny thing about Eve, most people pve in that game. Its also a sandbox, how can a sandbox be a pvp game? Isn't a sandbox just a framework of mechanics with no real direction till the player decides what they are going to do? So if one player does pve and one does pvp it suddenly becomes a pvp game?

I think games like Darkfall are truly a pvp game and it reflects the niche that a true pvp centric mmorpg is.
    Alomar
  • synfragsynfrag Member UncommonPosts: 8
    No Aion?, maybe it's just me but the early days of that we're probably the best experience I ever had. Though from what I've heard L2 was NCSOFTs golden child of PvP.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Lineage 2 should be in this list , as it is/was very , very focused in the PVP part. You have PvP all over the map, with HUGE Castle Siege events where hundreds of players were PvP'ing.

So yeah! I would of taken Planet Side 2 and add Lineage 2. Other then that, this list seems to be focused on "The Most Loved/Discussed Games from MMORPG.COM with PvP elements" .

"Top 10 BEST...PvP MMOs of all time" is a very wrong title. Darkfall "one of the 10 best pvp mmo of all time?" Wow! ...amazing!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    The 1 thing I know I agree 100% with on this list, is that DAoC is king.
    Rawyn[Deleted User]Alomar
  • Nightshade98Nightshade98 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Good to see Shadowbane not getting the shaft, think UO should be up there (especially with Siege Perilous server)....Not really sure how Star Wars fits that deep into the list.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    synfrag said:
    No Aion?, maybe it's just me but the early days of that we're probably the best experience I ever had. Though from what I've heard L2 was NCSOFTs golden child of PvP.
    The first 8 months of Aion was truly amazing.
  • FreelancerNDFreelancerND Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Ultima, DAoC, Anarchy Online, WAR and Guild Wars 1. Why bother with anything else? =)