Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interview Teaser - 'Booze & Drugs Were Added to FFXIV to Give Adventurers a Way to Unwind' - Final F

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageInterview Teaser - 'Booze & Drugs Were Added to FFXIV to Give Adventurers a Way to Unwind' - Final Fantasy XIV - MMORPG.com

Final Fantasy XIV News - In tomorrow's second half of our Final Fantasy XIV interview with Square Enix's Koji Fox, we'll learn that the team wanted players to have a more "adult" experience while playing the game and that adding drugs and booze as a way to unwind was integral to providing that.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Torval said:

Would it just be a role play thing? How does spending time in the tavern in the game help the players unwind?

I don't know if it's any answer but I do know in a lot of the guilds I've been in, they tend to go do a bunch of content, and then hang out in the housing areas and just talk to each-other. I wonder if it's the same kind of idea. Just with booze and drugs, which would surely make that type of situation more interesting to look at.

It wasn't even just one guild that did that either. It was like 4 or 5 of the ones I've been in. They all go to the housing areas and just hang out and talk to people. It was oddly social for modern MMO's.
    [Deleted User]Zeneren
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Torval said:

Torval said:

Would it just be a role play thing? How does spending time in the tavern in the game help the players unwind?

I don't know if it's any answer but I do know in a lot of the guilds I've been in, they tend to go do a bunch of content, and then hang out in the housing areas and just talk to each-other. I wonder if it's the same kind of idea. Just with booze and drugs, which would surely make that type of situation more interesting to look at.

It wasn't even just one guild that did that either. It was like 4 or 5 of the ones I've been in. They all go to the housing areas and just hang out and talk to people. It was oddly social for modern MMO's.

In LotRO alcohol and pipeweed are used for RP purposes after events or during gatherings just like you describe. Alcohol has a visual screen affect and pipeweed has a cool smoking and smoke cloud animation. They don't have useful affects though. It was added for RP like the music system. Those kinds of systems build a lot of community cohesion and add longevity to a game. I don't think LotRO would have lasted half as long without them.
    I like a lot of the features LotRO had in general. The music playing system was great, and a lot of my friends who didn't even like the game that much would sit there and make music for hours. It had so many random fun things added to it. 
    [Deleted User]
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    lol Booze and Drugs
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    They have that creepy baby race and have you kill giant ladybugs, and they're worried about players having a juvenile experience?
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited September 2017
    I think that would be so awesome. When I'm afk having a puff myself, or just sitting around doing nothing, I would love to have my character smoking something in his downtime and/or getting a bit drunk. It's so annoying that when I get offered alcohol in game by npc's, I don't get to ever accept, and my guy always refuses 'cause I guess he's too cool for that shit.