Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Destiny 2 an MMO:Poll

Comments

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    edited September 2017
    Scorchien said:
                                         Vast Majority .........
    Is Destiny 2 an MMO
    1. Is Destiny 2 an MMO215 votes
      1. Yes
        18.14%
      2. No
        81.86%

A poll with 215 responses on a site that has no way to ensure data integrity means nothing.
    Gdemami
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    There's no real debate here.  There are two sides to this; the people who recognize what a MMO is and the people who don't.  The people who don't may classify Destiny 2 as a MMO and they may also decide that Chicken is Sea Food, but either way they're fucking wrong.
    I wouldn't be so quick about that Sedryn

[Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Some people in this thread would login to an MMO, but be the only person in the entire game and go "wow this is such a great massive multiplayer experience!"
    This has been explained ad nauseum to you, and your only argument is to keep repeating the same thing over and over, akin to sticking your fingers in your ears shouting "Lalalalala!"
    Gdemami

edited September 2017
    klash2def said:
    The really silly thing is that Bungie doesn't even call Destiny an MMO. LOL
    So what? Uber does not call itself a taxi either. its called a "shared ride system".. but its still a taxi.
    That's wrong.  It's a shared ride service because they aren't driving licensed taxi cabs.  Additionally, taxi cab vehicles have applicable insurance that's active 100% of the time; ride sharing auto insurance is only active while the driver is actually sharing the ride.

Much like the genre issue being discussed here, the difference lies in the technical features of the two services, not some "feeling" you get while using them.
    CecropiaGdemami

Eldurian said:
    gervaise1 said:

Different countries, different definitions but if you go with 5% I suspect 100 will be massive!

Is it fun - all that matters.
    One hundred is a debatable number. Sixteen is not.

The definition of massive matters considerably when trying to have an intelligent conversation about MMOs. 
    You can decide what you are willing to debate.

You don't get to decide what is debatable.
    Maybe that's technically true by some silly semantic argument, but it's still a pretty asinine stance to take.

This sentence has five words.  That's not really debatable.
    Gdemami

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited September 2017
    There's no real debate here.  There are two sides to this; the people who recognize what a MMO is and the people who don't.  The people who don't may classify Destiny 2 as a MMO and they may also decide that Chicken is Sea Food, but either way they're fucking wrong.
    I personally don't give a shit....really I don't...... But I am bored so.......

Grammatically, it's not an MMORPG.

Massive(LY) (adv) - Multiplayer
    Multiplayer (adj) - game
    Online (adj) - game
    Role (adj) Technically, this should be hyphenated with "playing" to form a compound adj.
    Playing see previous
    Game (N) and the subject

This is means it turns the word Massive from  an adjective into an Adverb. This means it CANNOT be used to describe the word "game" in this context. It's a Adverb so it can only be used to describe an adjective or a verb.

The context has it describing Multiplayer. So, it's not Game that is massively. It's not Online that is massively.....the statement is saying that Mutiplayer is what is massively. Meaning the amount of players online together at the same time.

That being said......If that's how it's being described, then WTF do I care. If people want to speak incorrectly, they should at least be aware of The English Language's rules, instead of carrying on in ignorance.

And yes, I admit, this is a reverse troll post.....I think......not sure.

In any event, the definition is not subjective.
    jmcdermottukExcessionGdemami
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Multiplayer (adj) - game
    Online (adj) - game
    Role (adj) Technically, this should be hyphenated with "playing" to form a compound adj.
    Playing see previous
    Game (N) and the subject

This is means it turns the word Massive from  an adjective into an Adverb. This means it CANNOT be used to describe the word "game" in this context. It's a Adverb so it can only be used to describe an adjective or a verb.

The context has it describing Multiplayer. So, it's not Game that is massively. It's not Online that is massively.....the statement is saying that Mutiplayer is what is massively. Meaning the amount of players online together at the same time.

That being said......If that's how it's being described, then WTF do I care. If people want to speak incorrectly, they should at least be aware of The English Language's rules, instead of carrying on in ignorance.

Wow .. you must be very "bored" to write such a long post, rehashing all the word definition and logic for something you don't give a shit .. actually for something you "REALLY" don't give a shit.
    I have not been here for a few days, and what happened? This is *still* the most popular topic, with almost 300 posts now. And what is the second most popular topic? 

Also about what is a MMO. 

Now is there any doubt that a lot of people here care deeply about how to use a label? Certainly a lot more than whether a particular game is fun (although they don't admit it, of course!).
    Lawlmonster

Multiplayer (adj) - game
    Online (adj) - game
    Playing see previous
    Game (N) and the subject

Wow .. you must be very "bored" to write such a long post, rehashing all the word definition and logic for something you don't give a shit .. actually for something you "REALLY" don't give a shit.
    Actually, I don't and yeah, I was on a Webex at work that had nothing to do with me, so Yeah, I was very bored. What are you trying to imply? That I must really give a shit when I said I didn't?

So, call it an MMO.....see, my day still carries on.......Boringly Online.
    Gdemami
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 532
    It is. 

Everyone voting "no" is just a protest vote because they are upset about Destiny 2 in general.

It's online. It's massive. It's MMO.

Get over it guys. 
    MadFrenchieExcession

Multiplayer (adj) - game
    Online (adj) - game
    Playing see previous
    Game (N) and the subject

Actually, I don't and yeah, I was on a Webex at work that had nothing to do with me, so Yeah, I was very bored. What are you trying to imply? That I must really give a shit when I said I didn't?

I am implying nothing. Can someone agree with you (well, i guess i said "VERY bored" .. may be a level of boredom beyond what you were really experiencing) and be amused and amazed by how you tried to (or you did?) alleviate that boredom?  
    It is. 

Everyone voting "no" is just a protest vote because they are upset about Destiny 2 in general.

It's online. It's massive. It's MMO.

Get over it guys. 

and so it goes ...

from camp 1, halfmyster said "it's online. It's massive. It's MMO". I have to point out too that this site's game list agrees ... Destiny is a "MMOFPS" by their classification.

from camp 2, the language police is going to point out that the first 2 Ms stands for "massiveLY multiplayer", and that "massiveLY" is a world's different from "massive".

Is camp 1 going to prevail because of this and other (like massivelyop) websites more visible classification?

Or is camp 2 going to carry the day because of two little letters "LY" backed by a long discussion of logic and reasoning?

TheScavenger
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    I have not been here for a few days...
    Where did you go?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Cecropia said:
    Where did you go?

Banned .. most like from upsetting one of you with my witty, and hard-hitting comments?

Multiplayer (adj) - game
    Online (adj) - game
    Playing see previous
    Game (N) and the subject

I am implying nothing. Can someone agree with you (well, i guess i said "VERY bored" .. may be a level of boredom beyond what you were really experiencing) and be amused and amazed by how you tried to (or you did?) alleviate that boredom?  
    I was just stirring the pot to see what floats.

Multiplayer (adj) - game
    Online (adj) - game
    Playing see previous
    Game (N) and the subject

I was just stirring the pot to see what floats.
    me too .. and this implying nothing either, except agreeing that stirring the pot is fun. 
    Cecropia said:
    Where did you go?

Banned .. most like from upsetting one of you with my witty, and hard-hitting comments?
    Not me, stopped reporting you years ago. I just watch you come and go in a never ending cycle.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Cecropia said:
    Cecropia said:
    Where did you go?

Not me, stopped reporting you years ago. I just watch you come and go in a never ending cycle.
    Sometimes it was banning. Sometimes things get boring here. That is why there is a cycle.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited September 2017
    klash2def said:
    So what? Uber does not call itself a taxi either. its called a "shared ride system".. but its still a taxi.
    That's wrong.  It's a shared ride service because they aren't driving licensed taxi cabs.  Additionally, taxi cab vehicles have applicable insurance that's active 100% of the time; ride sharing auto insurance is only active while the driver is actually sharing the ride.

Much like the genre issue being discussed here, the difference lies in the technical features of the two services, not some "feeling" you get while using them.
    No. just no. Where do you live? I've driven for Uber before and Uber's insurance is active as long as the APP IS ON in the car. So as long as you are on the clock picking up rides the insurance is on. Its no different than a taxi cab. Both are licensed so what are you talking about?  You really think Uber is just  random people with cars? Dude its a a licensed taxi service! Few years ago Uber couldnt go to LAX Airport where I live at because of city license.. now they can. Its the exact same thing as a Taxi. 

Your argument is "its not a city licensed taxi so its not a taxi at all"

You act like it cant be a privately owned taxi service.. key word "Taxi Service". Please tell me if Uber isn't a taxi service what is it? A cat sitting service? lol wtf? 

You talk about technicalities but you are uber wrong. TECHNICALLY SPEAKING uber is a freaking taxi service. It does not matter what you say about the presentation. Don't be fooled by that. 

That's the whole thing with Destiny.. tell me what is preventing Destiny from being a MMO? Don't say "iT nOt eNoUgh plAyErS"  dude its not a 2 player co-op game, people are playing with up to 20 people having a MMO experience. Technically its one, because Its doing the exact same things. It may not be the same as other MMOs (Just like Uber isn't the same as other Taxi services) but its still a MMO. Even if its MMO-Lite. You cannot deny its doing the same thing. If you deny it, then I question if you have even ever played the game. 

MadFrenchieExcession
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

Cecropia said:
    Cecropia said:
    Where did you go?

Sometimes it was banning. Sometimes things get boring here. That is why there is a cycle.
    If you say so...

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    16 players iT nOt eNoUgh plAyErS.
    ExcessionConstantineMerus
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:

No. just no. Where do you live? I've driven for Uber before and Uber's insurance is active as long as the APP IS ON in the car. So as long as you are on the clock picking up rides the insurance is on. Its no different than a taxi cab. Both are licensed so what are you talking about?  You really think Uber is just  random people with cars? Dude its a a licensed taxi service! Few years ago Uber couldnt go to LAX Airport where I live at because of city license.. now they can. Its the exact same thing as a Taxi. 

Your argument is its not a "city licensed taxi so its not a taxi at all"

You act like it cant be a privately owned taxi service.. key word "Taxi Service". Please tell me if Uber isn't a taxi service what is? A cat sitting service? lol wtf? 

You talk about technicalities but you are uber wrong. TECHNICALLY SPEAKING uber is a freaking taxi service. It does not matter what you say about the presentation. Don't be fooled by that. 

That's the whole thing with Destiny.. tell me what is preventing Destiny from being a MMO? Don't say "iT nOt eNoUgh plAyErS"  dude its not a 2 player co-op game, people are playing with up to 20 people having a MMO experience. Technically its one, because Its doing the exact same things. It may not be the same as other MMOs (Just like Uber isn't the same as other Taxi services) but its still a MMO. Even if its MMO-Lite. You cannot deny its doing the same thing. If you deny it, then I question if you have even ever played the game. 

No.

https://www.allinjurieslawfirm.com/blog/post/1721/What-s-The-Difference-Between-Ride-Sharing-And-Taxis-#.Wc1PQXpOnqA
    ExcessionConstantineMerus

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited September 2017
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:

You act like it cant be a privately owned taxi service.. key word "Taxi Service". Please tell me if Uber isn't a taxi service what is? A cat sitting service? lol wtf? 

No.

https://www.allinjurieslawfirm.com/blog/post/1721/What-s-The-Difference-Between-Ride-Sharing-And-Taxis-#.Wc1PQXpOnqA
    I literally said Uber isnt the same as other Taxi Services. That means, I realize and recognize there are differences between Uber and Traditional taxi. You have selective reading..

It's still a taxi, you didnt prove anything lol..

I can post links too.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Uber-really-not-a-taxi-service 

"Uber is the worlds most famous and successful on-demand taxi service."
    Excession
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited September 2017
    Eldurian said:
    gervaise1 said:

Different countries, different definitions but if you go with 5% I suspect 100 will be massive!

Is it fun - all that matters.
    One hundred is a debatable number. Sixteen is not.

The definition of massive matters considerably when trying to have an intelligent conversation about MMOs. 
    You can decide what you are willing to debate.

You don't get to decide what is debatable.
    My apologies. Allow me to correct my statement. 16 is not a number that a sane and intelligent person would put forth as a number that qualifies for the title "massive".

100 is at the bottom of what a reasonable and intelligent person might consider debating.

So for me personally if someone wants to say a 100 man Minecraft server is an MMO I'm going to at least going to respect their opinion on the matter as being within the realm of reasonable debate. If you want to argue 16 is "massive" don't expect me or anyone else to take you seriously.
    MadFrenchieExcessionGdemami
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:

No.

I literally said Uber isnt the same as other Taxi Services. That means, I realize and recognize there are differences between Uber and Traditional taxi. You have selective reading..

It's still a taxi, you didnt prove anything lol..

I can post links too.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Uber-really-not-a-taxi-service 

"Uber is the worlds most famous and successful on-demand taxi service."
    The law quite literally differentiates between the two. My link explains the law, yours is just some user on quora posting with no reference to how the law differentiates the two and no real credentials to supercede how current laws view the two.

It makes sense, considering your other posts, that you would link to someone with no credibility posting something with no credible references.
    ExcessionGdemami