Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I've heard Valve has removed over 173 games from Steam.

Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
Seems some studios have been creating 'fake games' by 'asset-flipping' games that use pre-made Unity assets to release games faster and less expensively.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited September 2017
    Just saw this on Steam's forums: http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1520386297679824403/

Person complaining that 20 out of 624 games disappeared from his library.
    Octagon7711
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    So if you bought these games do you get a refund or are you just out the cash.  What a kerfuffle!

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    AFAIK you keep the games, but they are removed from the store, with so many 'devs' engaging in asset flipping, among other things, its well past time that Valve started cleaning up Steam, there are so many early access games etc. there that really should not be.
    PhaserlightKyleranOctagon7711
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I don't support the fact that they can "remove" games that you have either purchased or received without your consent. This is why people originally didn't like the fact that they have digital only DRM programs. Because you never really own your games, you just license your ability to use the game on your account. If it's gone it's gone. It sucks. That's why I've always collected physical games and go out of my way to get physical versions. Now that's not to say my steam account doesn't have 650 games on it, because it does. But it just really sucks they can take things away. 

But I'm also kind of glad that valve is willing to remove asset flips. It's a very bad practice and promotes people just releasing 15 of the same game to flood the market and hope for a few sales on each, with little to no investment at all. 

It's a weird situation, and I'm hoping eventually we get a more solid system in place for digital marketplaces and ownership. 
    Phaserlight
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Good on them for responding to malicious marketing and development tactics.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Phry said:
    AFAIK you keep the games, but they are removed from the store, with so many 'devs' engaging in asset flipping, among other things, its well past time that Valve started cleaning up Steam, there are so many early access games etc. there that really should not be.
    Actually you are right about keeping the games. But I'm not really sure how it works with games removed due to asset flipping. I now remember I still have Lineage 1 on my steam games, and that shut down a long time ago. 
    Octagon7711