Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Middle-Earth Shadow of War Memorial DLC to be Free to All, Warner Bros. to Donate to the Family

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMiddle-Earth Shadow of War Memorial DLC to be Free to All, Warner Bros. to Donate Directly to the Family - MMORPG.com News

After an eruption of controversy surrounding the Middle-Earth: Shadow of War Forthog Orc-Slayer DLC to honor Mike "Forthog" Forgey who passed away from cancer earlier in the summer, Warner Bros. has had a change of heart. The controversy began when it came to light that donations would only be given through purchases made in the US and only from certain states. In addition, purchases of the DLC outside the US would not be eligible for the donation to Forgey's family.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    I might buy at release now.
    SBFord
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This was unexpected. I thought them matching the share they were giving on a global level was the right thing to do but this is even better. Good job WB.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Always nice to see a company take a second look, then do the right thing.

Kudos

My father passed on the 15th of this month from cancer after a 10 year battle. The last four months we're horrible. He spent over a month in hospice for his last days, he was a tough soul. He was a very wise, compassionate and wealthy man. I've come to really appreciate the genuine care and service that our local hospice provided for my father and others. Every day or two, another name would be added to the book. It's a very eye opening and humbling experience.

I'd encourage anyone and everyone to donate to your local Hospice Society.

[Deleted User]Ginaz

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    really good ending to what was a lot of hate, even if justified. thu it will not bring him back, it give them a chance to move forward knowing the world is willing to show support.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    laserit said:
    Always nice to see a company take a second look, then do the right thing.

Kudos

My father passed on the 15th of this month from cancer after a 10 year battle. The last four months we're horrible. He spent over a month in hospice for his last days, he was a tough soul. He was a very wise, compassionate and wealthy man. I've come to really appreciate the genuine care and service that our local hospice provided for my father and others. Every day or two, another name would be added to the book. It's a very eye opening and humbling experience.

I'd encourage anyone and everyone to donate to your local Hospice Society.

I'm so sorry for your loss. <3

I 100% agree with what you said about hospice. While my mother didn't go to hospice, she was in a full care Alzheimer's unit and the care that these people showed to her and to us as we stood vigil was inspiring and moving. 
    laserit[Deleted User]GinazConstantineMerus

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    So is Portalarium going to follow Warner and not charge for the memorial to Richard Garriots late mother?
    [Deleted User]

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Nightshade98Nightshade98 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Good stuff, good company. Legal hurdles and changes are NOT always as easy as people expect them to be from the outside looking in...
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

Good stuff, good company. Legal hurdles and changes are NOT always as easy as people expect them to be from the outside looking in...

It would be streching it to say a "good company". They have been doing a piss poor job on ports, making terrible excuses as to why they cant fix things, have crappy gambling microtransactions in this game and then added paid shaddy as hell dlc with this, but changed that after the massive backlash. This to me is more of them doing damage control.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    This is really what they should have done in the first place.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    zanfire said:

It would be streching it to say a "good company". They have been doing a piss poor job on ports, making terrible excuses as to why they cant fix things, have crappy gambling microtransactions in this game and then added paid shaddy as hell dlc with this, but changed that after the massive backlash. This to me is more of them doing damage control.

Remove the poor gameplay decisions from the equation and instead focus on the charity portion. They tried to stay within the constraints of the laws of various countries and in the end they decided to just scrap all that, refund anyone who bought and just donate money directly to the family. 

They tried one way, realized it was a legal nightmare and so just went the easier route and donated directly. They could have done this in the first place but I never credit large corporations with choosing the easy route but still they deserve a kudos.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Good for them finally getting it right.
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Better late than never .
    [Deleted User]

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

Kefo said:

zanfire said:

Remove the poor gameplay decisions from the equation and instead focus on the charity portion. They tried to stay within the constraints of the laws of various countries and in the end they decided to just scrap all that, refund anyone who bought and just donate money directly to the family. 

They tried one way, realized it was a legal nightmare and so just went the easier route and donated directly. They could have done this in the first place but I never credit large corporations with choosing the easy route but still they deserve a kudos.

It wasnt just the legal jargon, they could have left that to themselves and ate the cost while donating dollar for dollar all the DLC for the character straight to the family or charity, instead we had to find out they were only giving a portion, using the other for fees (not to mention the limited places it would even work). There was an easy way and good way to handle it but they couldnt even do that right.
    [Deleted User]