Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PUBG and Fortnite – The Drama Continues - General Columns

1235»

Comments

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    taukuota said:
    As I understood it, the main problem here is that PUBG is using unreal engine to build BR game. Unreal engine is not suited for sich type of game therefore PUBG had to create custom modifications for unreal engine to make it work. And now they think that those custom modifocations from PUBG team were used to build Fortnite?
    Thing is. People have already made blueprints for Battle Royale type game modes. It is completely doable using blueprints as it is and the engine is quite literally already capable of it through blueprints. People sell those blueprints and PUBG actually used a lot of assets from epic's unreal marketplace. 
    MaxBacon said:
    Fortnite ain't gonna drop Battle Royale, it's going F2P in 2 days (the specific game mode) and highlights the main game, so it shows they have a strong development direction to iterate on PvP.

This gives is bad publicity is to Unreal Engine, that Epic would be willing to take upon their clients and create direct competitors to them with no refrain while charging them royalties.
    It doesn't though. Epic has been doing that for 20+ years. The industry has never had an issue with it until bluehole started up. Epic has never had an issue supporting and making competitive products at the same time as supporting licensees of their engine. Unless epic is flat out using bluehole's code there is nothing to see here and unless bluehole submitted that code directly to epic epic has 0 access to it and they know better not to use that code. They aren't some new doe eyed company like I said. 
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    PUBG is just giving Fortnite a bunch of free publicity. I'm sure many people didn't even know the game until they saw it mentioned everywhere in the last few days.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2017
    It doesn't though. Epic has been doing that for 20+ years. The industry has never had an issue with it until bluehole started up. Epic has never had an issue supporting and making competitive products at the same time as supporting licensees of their engine. Unless epic is flat out using bluehole's code there is nothing to see here and unless bluehole submitted that code directly to epic epic has 0 access to it and they know better not to use that code. They aren't some new doe eyed company like I said. 
    One can't simply make the code claim when both use the same engine that Epic Develops.

In that aspect, they use a lot of the same code, now it gets more over being the same base codebae being also the same game idea and design copied under the Fortnite title, pissing off PUBG lol

If you as a game developer get Unreal Engine, you're paying royalties to Epic, make your own game under it, then Epic decides to make a game directly based on your design that will be direct competition, you won't be so happy paying them royalties then wouldn't you? :p
    MaxBacon said:
    One can't simply make the code claim when both use the same engine that Epic Develops.

In that aspect, they use a lot of the same code, now it gets more over being the same base codebae being also the same game idea and design copied under the Fortnite title, pissing off PUBG lol

If you as a game developer get Unreal Engine, you're paying royalties to Epic, make your own game under it, then Epic decides to make a game directly based on your design that will be direct competition, you won't be so happy paying them royalties then wouldn't you? :p
    The thing is there are multiple ways to do a blueprint. Also people are selling Battle Royale/LMS blueprints and have been for a bit now. To further a dd epic has been making games and competing with people that use their engine again as I stated. You seem to of ignored the rest of the comment entirely. Epic could go back to their old model which would mean these people have to pay out a lot more money up front for each and every project and they can deem who they want to work with or not and then all these developers springing up would need to make their own engines to do anything from the ground up or deal with epic controlling the gates as it were entirely. 

Epic makes games and was a game developer before they made their engine available for licensing and when they did it was closed off and you had to pay a large fee to them at a time up front. They have since the later part of UE3's lifespan made the engine free to use up front, but collect royalties if you make money from your game (and only if you plan on making money I might add) also. No developer has in epic's long history of licensing their engine ever had a problem with epic (other than silicon knights who sued them and lost for "not providing a complete engine, and silicon knights were in breach of contract for not paying what they were supposed to) 

You just seem to happily ignore the long history epic has of both making games that compete with licensees while also happily supporting licensees of their engine. They also have far more experience making games than Bluehole does so them able to turn around and make a game mode (that isn't all that complicated) doesn't mean they "stole" anything. Not to mention again that a lot of what bluehole used was Unreal Marketplace assets in the first place. Hell they might of bought a blueprint from someone for all we know. 
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Dakeru said:
    If they had at least changed a few things but it's an obvious 1:1 copy and they didn't even try to hide it.

You guys are convinced that there is nothing that can be done about it. That's fine.

I think pointing out all the "borrowed" elements is enough to give it a shot at court.
    The fact fortnight has base building makes it far far from being 1:1 copy.
    Different gun system, graphics, mechanics. the only thing that is similar is the parachuting in part, any other parts can be found in any other BR game
    [Deleted User]laxie
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Torval said:
    If you're going to extrapolate to that degree then every program in existence shares code base.

BlueHole may be inexperience with this but it's not an uncommon practice at all.
    This is a very specific case.

What I know is if I was a client of Epic, using their engine and paying them royalties, I would be pissed if Epic created a game that is very similar and directly competes with my game and offers pretty much the same thing. But this is one annoyance though, not something to sue for.
  • DeadlyDagDeadlyDag Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Arskaaa said:
    hope they sue shit out fortnite. i dint buyed that game for pvp.

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but you know that the PvP-part of the game is free, and that the PvE-part is totally separate and are fully functional, yes?
    They are even implementing zombie/horde-mode soon on PvE.
  • saintriku92saintriku92 Member UncommonPosts: 87
    For the people saying epic is in the wrong, and that they carbon copied pubg, theres this game called h1z1 king of the king....and oddly enough its got the same opening sequence as pubg. funny huh? 
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited October 2017
    For the people saying epic is in the wrong, and that they carbon copied pubg, theres this game called h1z1 king of the king....and oddly enough its got the same opening sequence as pubg. funny huh? 
    H1Z1:King of the Kill was my intro to the genre.  I honestly thought PUBG was just copying them.

I just don't get the complaint at all.  Maybe they worked together behind the scenes during development and they feel that Epic only entered the fray after seeing what they were doing?  but on its face it's a joke.