Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO/RPG lore would you like to be made into a TV series like Game of Thrones with high budget

2»

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    If it's not based on actual books. it's not going to turn out well at all.
    Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul prove that's not always the case.
    Carrie Fisher thought Star Wars was going to a B movie.  
    MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    WoW. Warcraft has more lore than most MMOs, and its fantasy which is always more popular than other settings and its also the most well known MMO setting to be made into a show.

It also has a HUGE potential funding behind it, since Blizzard rakes in the dough. And WoW is still played by millions, and remains most subbed MMO decades later.

And it be very successful in the Asia region, where as an MMO like ESO is more a western thing.
    Looks like someone didn't bother to read the OP.  He said not to post about Wow since it already has a movie.
    a movie and a tv series like game of thrones are two very different things.

Also star wars already had tv shows (they/it (I think there were multiple) were cartoons, but still were star wars shows)

The OP just doesn't like WoW is all. Star wars is a movie, but also had at least one tv series on it.

So I'll trigger you, and still say a game of thrones style warcraft show is the best and would make the most money since it would do extremely well in asia
    Me pointing out your stupidity is not triggering anything lol.  Maybe my laughter.  But go ahead and hit "wtf" like you always do when someone disagrees with you.
    you are the one who got overly defensive and complained that I said WoW lol. This thread is just for fun, so who cares if someone says a star wars game of thrones style show or warcraft or whatever else.
    Lol, overly defensive?  You really struggle with reading comprehension.  You'd think with the million pointless threads you start on this site you'd be able to read a simple sentence.  Don't forget to hit "wtf" since my replies seem to get you so emotional.
    TheScavengerExcession
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    WoW. Warcraft has more lore than most MMOs, and its fantasy which is always more popular than other settings and its also the most well known MMO setting to be made into a show.

It also has a HUGE potential funding behind it, since Blizzard rakes in the dough. And WoW is still played by millions, and remains most subbed MMO decades later.

And it be very successful in the Asia region, where as an MMO like ESO is more a western thing.
    Looks like someone didn't bother to read the OP.  He said not to post about Wow since it already has a movie.
    a movie and a tv series like game of thrones are two very different things.

Also star wars already had tv shows (they/it (I think there were multiple) were cartoons, but still were star wars shows)

The OP just doesn't like WoW is all. Star wars is a movie, but also had at least one tv series on it.

So I'll trigger you, and still say a game of thrones style warcraft show is the best and would make the most money since it would do extremely well in asia
    Me pointing out your stupidity is not triggering anything lol.  Maybe my laughter.  But go ahead and hit "wtf" like you always do when someone disagrees with you.
    you are the one who got overly defensive and complained that I said WoW lol. This thread is just for fun, so who cares if someone says a star wars game of thrones style show or warcraft or whatever else.
    Lol, overly defensive?  You really struggle with reading comprehension.  You'd think with the million pointless threads you start on this site you'd be able to read a simple sentence.  Don't forget to hit "wtf" since my replies seem to get you so emotional.
    I still see you complaining. Why not post something related to the topic? All you've done is complain and complain, then complained I said WOW would make a good TV series. You are very amusing, not one post have you done related to the post except that one first post on the first page. After that, mentioning WoW really bothered you. You are still ranting away on page 2.

As for the thread. Another good MMO to be a TV series, its an old one, but in terms of setting and theme...Anarchy Online. That would be an epic sci-fi series in terms of looks, though I dunno how the lore would hold up.

I guess Conan the Barbarian (Age of Conan/Conan Exiles) could work too, but its already been done before...but hey hollywood does remakes all the time lol.

Ark Survival could be okay, but I see it turning more into a B-rate tv series than anything. When I think of a dinosaur movie, I don't think of the most amazing experience ever like game of thrones or star wars lol

Actually you know what be a cool MMO with quite a lot of lore for a TV series? Guild Wars. Yup. Awesome races, awesome creatures, great landscape...and lore isn't so half-bad either.
    MrMelGibsonExcession

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

It's not that I dislike WoW, it's just that they already made a movie or a show about it. Therefore, it is disqualified, i was looking for creativity and wonder for something that wasn't done before. They also already made star wars and LOTRO, so if I try to imagine a series with them, I just see the movies. 

Thanks Eldurian for educating me on the lore of EVE, I can never get into the lore of any game, I don't even know why. Maybe, i like the progression factor more than anything else, than the story. Or perhaps, if I want a story, i'll read a book. 

Cryomatrix

Gdemami
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Not an mmo or rpg but wish they made a live action movie from Sword of the Stranger.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Elder Scrolls could have a fantastic series, FF as well.
    Elder scrolls would be my choice. There is a lot going on and it's all really great lore. Final Fantasy would depend on which one, 14 might make an alright series, but most of the mainline games probably wouldn't work.
    Sovrath
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Elder Scrolls could have a fantastic series, FF as well.
    Elder scrolls would be my choice. There is a lot going on and it's all really great lore. Final Fantasy would depend on which one, 14 might make an alright series, but most of the mainline games probably wouldn't work.
    I was just thinking this weekend on how awesome (if it was done well) one of the Elder Scrolls games would be as a movie.
    Panther2103
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited September 2017
    I wouldn't want any MMO that I play to be made into a TV series. I can't stand television, and I hate most movies. I have watched LOTR about a thousand times because that was the last time that I actually enjoyed a movie. Well, I enjoyed "The Girl with All the Gifts", but it was based on a book like LOTR.
    Post edited by Allerleirauh on
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Carrie Fisher thought Star Wars was going to a B movie.  
    Actually, the entire cast and George Lucas thought that. Lucas hoped it would play in enough cash so he could make a low budget sequel. When the plane with the cast landed in LAX for the release Mark Hamill looked out of the window and said "lots of people out there, must be someone famous on the plane"... 

As for MMO IPs worth a series I rather skip that, the lore is generally terrible. Lets make it Dune instead (and make a MMO based on it as well).

If you must make it based on a game IP make it Forgotten realms or Shadowrun at least, I would watch that. Otherwise be get a bad hybrid between the Wow movie and "Legend of the seeker".

My bet for the next GoT is probably the Wheel of time series that are in production but I have some hope for the Amber series as well.
    MrMelGibson
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I could see The Secret World being made into an X-Files like show.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited September 2017
    The point is games don't turn into good movies or TV.  And fantasy TV/movies not based on books don't work well either.

Good luck turning a video game narrative into compelling TV/movie narratives.  They are completely different beasts
    And fantasy TV/movies not based on books don't work well either.
    Are the Pirates of the Carribean movies based on books?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited September 2017
    The point is games don't turn into good movies or TV.  And fantasy TV/movies not based on books don't work well either.

Good luck turning a video game narrative into compelling TV/movie narratives.  They are completely different beasts
    They don't turn out well because they are not handled well.

Let's take Doom. Could have been good but wait, changes were made and now the monsters are no longer "from hell". Which then means that they have far less variety in what one was used to and it almost felt like they just rushed through the whole thing.

I had fun watching it but disappointed how too many changes.

Prince of Persia? Had fun in that until they started shoehorning the whole "weapons of mass destruction thing". And "pro tip" if you have a character that dresses all in black and looks evil then if he is actually evil you have "done it wrong". And shouldn't he have had more "making his way through traps and the like"?

Silent Hill? Here is one that I felt was decent but they crammed too much into it and the whole cult thing didn't feel like is was done well.

It's almost as if they need to have great writers writing them and less fans writing them.

MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    ESO of course. The Elder Scrolls may be the greatest fantasy lore ever written.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

While I mostly agree with you.  The new Castlevania show on Netflix is surprisingly really good.  So I can't agree 100% because there is hope after seeing that.
    Asheram
  • XxxusernametakenxxxXxxusernametakenxxx Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Divinity original sin 2 just started playing and there are so many plots and twist with each character.  Be a great Got type show. 
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited September 2017
    Screeps...  

Just take a bunch of crazy programmer, hacker, survivalist and miner tropes on a new planet at the edge of the universe.   Start with setting up giant mining robots, then have everyone slowly realize that there's no real law so they start to fight each other over the best spots in GIANT ROBOT CGI FIGHTS...   While the character narrative is driven by all the crazies arguing with each other over comms, while being utterly detached from the reality that they're having GIANT ROBOT FIGHTS WITH WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION because everything is just drones/AI/repairable/replaceable.

(lets be honest anyone willing to go up into space, set up automated robot mining facilities in complete isolation...   Will not be normal,  they will have some aspect like immense greed/dysfunction/escapism/similar to even want to consider such a job).

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

I think with the right director or just Michael Bay Max Payne 3 would make for a good movie, a far better movie than the last one imo, even though I did enjoy Marky Marks.