Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay WTF is a MMO? Really?

Comments

• cloud3431cloud3431 Member CommonPosts: 9
    "what is a mmo". it's quite self explanatory. but here's the explanation, since you missed it somehow. MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE........now, if you add the actual genre after that, it would be "MMOFPS". seeing how we're talking about a fps, that's would it's supposed to be classified as. if we were talking about an rpg, it would be "MMORPG". the mmo part isn't just exclusive to rpgs. destiny 2 is an mmofps. get over it. i really can't believe someone has to clarify this......
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited September 2017
    klash2def said:
    Watching vids on Destiny 2 (im hype yes I know) and I keep seeing the same argument on each comment section.. " FFS DESTINY IS NOT A MMO!" 

Well, considering the defintion for MMO upon a basic google of the acronym here is what I found.. 

MMO
    noun
    1. an online video game which can be played by a very large number of people simultaneously
    So if Destiny: Raids, Guilds, Loot Drops, Dailies, Heroics, Weekly, Shared Open Space
    and if MMO: Raids, Guilds, Loot Drops, Dailies, Heroics, Weekly, Shared Open Space

Then how is Destiny NOT an MMO? I think the term MMO needs to be redefined for the current generation of games because people are still trying to apply a old system to new games which said rules no longer apply. 

SO in 2017 what do we consider a MMO if Destiny isnt one? Just curious? 
    how big are the raids?  How many people can fit in a single zone together?

To me, those are the primary factors in determining if a game is an MMO.  too many games are basically lobby games, which we've had for ages.  I could play WC3 or Quake matches against a large list of people.  But only a small number at one time.

For me, if you can't fit 50 characters in a zone at the same time, it's almost certainly not an MMO.

JamesGoblin
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    cloud3431 said:
    "what is a mmo". it's quite self explanatory. 
    Obviously either it is not self-explanatory, or people ignore, or don't care, its meaning. Why do you think this is one of the most popular topic on this forum?
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    When you see someone use MMO...massive multiplayer online....just walk away.

There is no subject....if they are too lazy to properly define the subject how can anyone have a discussion.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2017
      The People have spoken

1. Is Destiny 2 an MMO     190 votes
      1. Yes
        18.95%
      2. No
        81.05%

Eldurian
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Do you want the evolved current "public Opinion" definition, or the original literal definition?
    Either way, they are all MMOs and yet none are.
    Gdemami
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    cloud3431 said:
    Obviously either it is not self-explanatory, or people ignore, or don't care, its meaning. Why do you think this is one of the most popular topic on this forum?
    Because you keep bringing it up.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]JamesGoblin
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Millions of people play online poker, so poker is the ultimate MMO. Right?
    laseritJamesGoblin
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Millions of people play online poker, so poker is the ultimate MMO. Right?
    As is Tic Tac Toe when played online. There's always someone bored at work, ready for a quick couple of rounds. One of the oldest of the original MMOs.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Who even cares at this point. Play the games you like, whether that be an MMORPG or an FPS or a farming simulator. Just enjoy what you play. I like Destiny 2, I like ESO, I have my own opinion on what an MMO is, but I don't honestly care. I don't see why everyone seems to.
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    @klash2def
    Guild Wars 1 is a CORPG. 
    Anet itself conjured up the name due to the fact the game was instanced and did not have a persistent world. 

I've always determined the "Massive" part of a game based on the number of players who simultaneously are capable of doing something together in-game. In most games I see with the MMORPG-Label, most of the content is designed to be for single parties. Massive to me means a point in the game where entire regions come under attack and all the players in that region/zone have to work together against swarms of enemies. Guild Wars 2 had this during the Scarlet Briar Invasions.

As it stands: 

Typical MMO Dungeon is 4 - 8 players 
    Typical FPS Team Deathmatch Party = 8  - 16 players (per team)

When I see a shooter, I find it to be more "Massive" in the fact more people do things together than the amount of people who do things together in MMORPGs, excluding the minor percentage of endgame content that requires multiple parties to actually win a map. 

The Genre to me is becoming "Less Massive" and more "Solo-Friendly" by the year. 
    Shooters are becoming more "Massive" and more "group-oriented" by the year. 

klash2def
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2017
    Who even cares at this point. Play the games you like, whether that be an MMORPG or an FPS or a farming simulator. Just enjoy what you play. I like Destiny 2, I like ESO, I have my own opinion on what an MMO is, but I don't honestly care. I don't see why everyone seems to.
    I've mentioned elsewhere that I don't think anyone who recognizes the difference between multiplayer and massively multiplayer will straight up refuse to play a game because it's mislabeled.

It's about clearly delineating between the success of smaller multiplayer and the success of massively multiplayer.  Lumping them in skews the market view of each genre, as well as providing misleading views about what specific game mechanics work well in one genre or the other.  It's also a term that was created specifically to delineate between two different types of multiplayer; if massively multiplayer is the same as CoD, there's no reason to even have the label massively.  Just call everything multiplayer and be done with it.

That wouldn't work so hot for sites like this one or massivelyop.
    GdemamiJamesGoblin

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    At some point , i don't even care what mean for MMORPG and just hope all those sucked games extinct like the big *** dinosaur off the face of earth .

evolution screwed up , go back to the start maybe better chose .

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    edited September 2017
    i consider 2-9 players Multiplayer and 10+ Massive Multiplayer.
    JamesGoblin
    Eldurian said:
    cloud3431 said:
    Because you keep bringing it up.
    I wish. I posted ONE post yesterday (or was it the day before), and 20 more pops up today. Plus,  did not even start this (or other MMO definition) topics.
    Obvious the crusaders who can't stomach their own definition of MMO is NOT being used care a great deal.

Look at all the long posts about "logic" and "reasons" and lessons about the English language. You probably already notice that people are not here to talk about games they like to play. They are here to crusade against their position, whether it is ffa pvp, or how MMO should be defined.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Obvious the crusaders who can't stomach their own definition of MMO is NOT being used care a great deal.

Look at all the long posts about "logic" and "reasons" and lessons about the English language. You probably already notice that people are not here to talk about games they like to play. They are here to crusade against their position, whether it is ffa pvp, or how MMO should be defined.

Dude, you're the only terminology crusader on these boards.

IselinScorchienMaurgrimGdemamiJamesGoblin

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Terminology troll would be more accurate. I don't think he actually gives a shit.

A clue is how he never gives us his own definition. He just tries to troll those who attempt to define it.
    ScorchienMaurgrimGdemamiJamesGoblin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

Terminology troll would be more accurate. I don't think he actually gives a shit.

A clue is how he never gives us his own definition. He just tries to troll those who attempt to define it.

Of course i don't give a shit. A game will not be magically more fun (or less) to me if their labels are changed.

That is why it is so funny to see so many here give a shit, to the point that they won't even acknowledge, or make wild spins, on the classifications on the game list on THIS site.

In fact, let me hear again why Destiny 2 is classified as a "MMOFPS", and WoT is classified as a "action MMO". 
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Iselin said:

Well he finally got banned :D
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Maurgrim said:
    Iselin said:

I've lost count of how many vacations he's taken. Always comes back with improved behavior that deteriorates pretty quickly. 
    MadFrenchie

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited September 2017
    massively multiplayer online rpg

multiplayer online rpg

as close to mmo as fps gets

multiplayer online fps

MadFrenchieCecropiadeniterSteelhelmJamesGoblinChildoftheShadows
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    MMO is a marketing term, to suggest anything else is willful ignorance.
    Gdemamiklash2defJamesGoblin
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    One of the problems of using today's terminology to talk about "yesterday's" terms is that meanings change. 

What did "massively" mean 20 years ago? It would be two years before EQ1 would launch - and like UO it would not be an mmo based on some of the definitions being used above! 

As others have said what really matters at the end of the day is whether a game is fun.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited September 2017
    Cecropia said:
    Maurgrim said:
    Iselin said:

I've lost count of how many vacations he's taken. Always comes back with improved behavior that deteriorates pretty quickly. 
    The ban sentence increase everytime you get banned, after 90 days and you still write stupid things you get perm ban, with his track record, I really hope they IP ban him.

And the sad part is, I don't think hes a troll I think he are that kind of guy who thinks everyone are wrong and he is always right, his posts tend to be more narcissist than trollish.
    GdemamiCecropiaJamesGoblin