Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PUBG and Fortnite – The Drama Continues - General Columns

Comments

• taukuotataukuota Member UncommonPosts: 4
    As I understood it, the main problem here is that PUBG is using unreal engine to build BR game. Unreal engine is not suited for sich type of game therefore PUBG had to create custom modifications for unreal engine to make it work. And now they think that those custom modifocations from PUBG team were used to build Fortnite?
    bcbully
  • TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
    I'm starting to really dislike the guys behind the game... regretting my PUBG purchase (only 3 hours logged) but at least Fortnite is getting free PR everywhere including Twitch from PUBGs own big-time players like DR DISRESPECT and many other well known players.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    This makes me want to try Fortnite.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Great article Garrett. You certanly have a point there for bad or good.

On one side this should perhaps be implemented since the game industry right now is simply plagued by most blatant clones. From our dear MMORPGs to genres like DOTA, and not to mention mobile games where the situation is catastrophic

But than again, where is the line ? As you said , some game concepts like RPG stats could than be pronounced exclusive.

That being said Fortnite is certainly pushing it to far. I didnt play any of battle royale mods or games, but what i seen from PUBG videos and Fortnite videos - Its almost 1:1 carbon copy of every gameplay element.

Its a same game done in different engine

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited September 2017
    Aztok said:
    Sounds like all the want is for Epic games to play fair and not cripple Bluehole. when really its already to late. Epic games will cash in on the genre's success and eat bluehole alive. its just business.

They shouldve made contracts that wouldve prevented Epic games from doing this very thing.
    PUBG is huge, Epic isn't taking a big piece of their pie easily.

I am curious as to what makes PUBG better than H1Z1 king of the kill though.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    BruceYee said:
    This makes me want to try Fortnite.
    This is what I was thinking, they've just given Epic free marketing at the same time making themselves look like dicks.

Now they have nearly every game outlet discussing and hyping a new BR game
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Like everyone pointed out this has made people sit up and want to try Fortnite. Free advertising when advertising is so expensive is worth its weight in gold ,very stupid of  them to give this much free press to a rival.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Stop calling Bluehole "indies" they are not

Have they played fortnite?

While it is same genre, nothing wrong there, it has a way different gameplay than pubg

I'm glad i don't play PUBG anymore, they don't deserve their success
    Scellow said:
    Stop calling Bluehole "indies" they are not

Have they played fortnite?

While it is same genre, nothing wrong there, it has a way different gameplay than pubg

I'm glad i don't play PUBG anymore, they don't deserve their success
    Thing is, Fortnite BR is literally shameless carbon copy of PUBG, its not even funny how much

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Look and feel can be protected, but general functionality or gameplay elements can't.

This article about the 2012 Tetris decision is helpul in understanding how one court viewed it.

www.b2ipreport.com/swip-report/copying-the-look-and-feel-of-tetris-is-software-copyright-infringement/

MadFrenchie

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I think that everyone is defending Fortnite but Epic made real blatant rippoff.
    Like they practically copied the game in their engine. Every single thing.

Its very dirty - where did gaming come to when people are simply copying other game to every single detail ?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2017

Its very dirty - where did gaming come to when people are simply copying other game to every single detail ?

Er....WOW clones galore, numerous L2 ripoffs, doom clones, mobas, etc, copying gameplay mechanics and even the UI have been standards in gaming for a very long time.

As I read through this thread (you did read the thread before posting, right?) there is mention of several differences, including setting, base building and more so while one may borrow very heavily from the other this is certainly not new at all in gaming.

ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2017

I get the distaste, but as was hashed out here, this isn't something that's unique in the industry or unheard of.

Unless Epic is using their engine rights to the detriment of PUBG solely for the profit of their directly competing title, I don't see how PUBG wins any kind of legal challenge.  But hey, stranger things have happened.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2017
    Fortnite ain't gonna drop Battle Royale, it's going F2P in 2 days (the specific game mode) and highlights the main game, so it shows they have a strong development direction to iterate on PvP.

This gives is bad publicity is to Unreal Engine, that Epic would be willing to take upon their clients and create direct competitors to them with no refrain while charging them royalties.
    FrodoFragins
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Kyleran said:

Er....WOW clones galore, numerous L2 ripoffs, doom clones, mobas, etc, copying gameplay mechanics and even the UI have been standards in gaming for a very long time.

As I read through this thread (you did read the thread before posting, right?) there is mention of several differences, including setting, base building and more so while one may borrow very heavily from the other this is certainly not new at all in gaming.

I think the perception of it being a direct copy is really because the very beginning is a mirror of PUBG.  You start on an island with these people and can run around and grab weapons to try... then you find yourself in an aircraft (bus...) flying over the map... which you jump out of to skydive to your location... and eventually use a parachute/hang-glider to land.   Then the whole "Get in the circle" mechanic kicks in.

Up to that point it's really just a reskin of PUBG.     From that point on it has some differences.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

MaxBacon said:
    Fortnite ain't gonna drop Battle Royale, it's going F2P in 2 days (the specific game mode) and highlights the main game, so it shows they have a strong development direction to iterate on PvP.

This gives is bad publicity is to Unreal Engine, that Epic would be willing to take upon their clients and create direct competitors to them with no refrain while charging them royalties.
    Not sure I can agree.  PUBG could've created their own engine if they wished, or used another engine.  I don't feel like Epic has a responsibility to stay out of a genre just because someone used their engine for their own title.  Epic paid for the development of the engine in-house.  They have a right to use it as they see fit, barring any contractual agreements with other parties regarding its use.
    FrodoFragins

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    hope they sue shit out fortnite. i dint buyed that game for pvp.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Isn't the Battle Royale mode free for Fortnite?
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

How Can they sue them? They don't own the idea for drop in and out 1st/3rd person battle royal, You'd think they would focus on fixing the game up a bit instead of dumb drama shit. Reminds me of when bethesda/zenimax tried to sue over the term Scrolls in a video game. Are you kidding?

There's a difference between telling someone they can't use a copy-written part of your name, and telling someone they can't be influenced by the ideas in your game. One has a lot more ground to stand on than the other. Not defending either, but they both have perspective.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Please let them clone whatever mechanic/game mode. As player I really don't want game modes' rights being owned by one game developer.

I mean, who cares about shitty clones? Just play the better game of the choices. Also, this is always better then having one shitty original that can't be improved upon by a clone because of exclusive rights.

Competition leading to better games is what is needed. Not milking mediocre games (/franchises) because of exclusive rights.

Now, someone please clone GTA5, but without the shark card (or silly grind for the masochist) dependant online multiplayer.
    Kyleran said:

But isnt rampant cloning just what destroyed MMORPGs ?

Before WoW every MMO tried to be original, than came the simple wish to do exact same game as WOW.

And what about endless stream of DOTA games ?

How is this good for anything ?
    aliven

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Kyleran said:

Before WoW every MMO tried to be original, than came the simple wish to do exact same game as WOW.

WoW's success though was based on cloning popular ideas and improving upon it (whether you like WoW or not).

But after/because of WoW's financial success, AAA MMORPG's just went typical mainstream. So, instead of developers brainstorming ideas and coming up with original ideas, you get a marketing department having a lead role in game design, which destroys creativity.

And because MMORPG's are very expensive to develop, the alternative indie developers that actually come up with different concepts rarely make it because they run out of money before they can even start to polish. And not because they have bad ideas.

In other game genres though, especially in cheaper genres to develop in, the cloning can lead to improvement because competition. This is why some survival games are a lot better then  others, even though they use the same concept.

Cloning is not always bad. Some mechanics/game modes are simply too good not to reuse. You don't have to always reinvent the wheel just for originality's sake.
    Kyleran
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    If you fear competition, you should just get out of the game.  The only story here is the idiots at PUBG acting out their foolish fantasies about owning the market.
    ConstantineMerusaliven
    Kyleran said:

Well, it gave us a 3rd person version of MOBAs (Smite), as well as other titles with unique spins on the genre (HotS for another).  As others have mentioned, that competition can breed innovation in these developers' attempts to carve out a slice of the pie for themselves.

It's a double-edged sword, to be sure, but there's an argument to be made that it's a net gain in the end.
    [Deleted User]

• GoldbryanGoldbryan Member UncommonPosts: 8
    edited September 2017
    I love PUBG but if they sue Epic Games for this then let them do it and then Epic Games takes their rights for developing a game on their engine and that's that your move Bluehole.