Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PUBG and Fortnite – The Drama Continues - General Columns

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Wonder how long until lawyers come in?

Who holds the patent to the game genere anyone?
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Remember forum lawyers live in another dimension that is not reality.

When the Ark devs got sued everyone laughed it off, then they had to pay 40 million dollars.
    Excession
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    MaxBacon said:

When the Ark devs got sued everyone laughed it off, then they had to pay 40 million dollars.
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ark-dev-settles-lawsuit-for-reported-40-million/1100-6438902/

Don't remember it but wasn't it because someoen from their team had a contract or something they violated or something?
    Renoaku said:
    MaxBacon said:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ark-dev-settles-lawsuit-for-reported-40-million/1100-6438902/

Don't remember it but wasn't it because someoen from their team had a contract or something they violated or something?
    Something as that. But this is pretty much attempts to make cheap money from who sues, just as this.

But very much the lack of details, such as this there's some base they must believe it's worth to pursue and sue.
    Excession
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Herase said:

However, in the interest of fairness...

http://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-exec-clarifies-objection-to-fortnite-battle-royale-its-not-about-the-idea-itself-its-about-epic-games/

Seems the specific issue is that PUBG is paying royalties to Epic for using their engine, and now Epic is creating a direct competitor.  That complicates things.

Lets be honest here, in no way is Fortnights BR going to be any sort of competition to them. Period.

No disrespect to the Epic team, heck they even said they made the game in homage to PUBG , but PUBG is probably the top played game on Steam and Twitch, if they honestly think the game is going to even touch their number or players, they must be smoking some strong ass shit at BHole

You are correct about PUBG's current popularity but I think that speaks more about the wildly successful battle royale game mode then it speaks about PUBG itself...which is a very poorly made game but is THAT much better then downloading ARMA mods or playing H1Z1 or DayZ to get your battle royale fix. PUBG does audio very well but the rest of the game runs like shit..which millions of people overlook because the battle royale game mode is so fun to play, especially with squads.
    [Deleted User]
  • lodestone90lodestone90 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    edited September 2017
    Renoaku said:
    MaxBacon said:

Yeah this a completely different scenario and I think the poster of this comment was just trying to discredit anyone who wanted to voice any sort of legal opinion. Anyway in that case the guy probably violated a non-compete clause in his contract. It didn't make it to court so it's not like they were forced by a court to pay 40 million. They opted to settle for that amount.

Anyway in this one, I honestly don't see any legal recourse for PUBG here. They are using an engine that EPIC owns. EPIC is free to use that engine however they choose. If the roles were reversed, then there would be a case. If they truly have a problem with what EPIC did they are free to use a different engine or construct their own.
    Dexter64
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    MaxBacon said:

But very much the lack of details, such as this there's some base they must believe it's worth to pursue and sue.
    That's probably true. If all of us amateurs know it's ridiculous, there must be more to the story.

What's more, the last thing you want to do is alienate your engine developer. They must be pretty damn sure there is something to it if they are making these accusations.
    laxie said:
    That's probably true. If all of us amateurs know it's ridiculous, there must be more to the story.

What's more, the last thing you want to do is alienate your engine developer. They must be pretty damn sure there is something to it if they are making these accusations.
    But still, those accusations lie in the grey area, a lot of straws and manipulation.

This rampage against the devs of Unreal Engine might feed drama for a while until it is clarified.
    Excession
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I'd be shocked if Epic had deals that prevented them from entering the same gamespace as a dev using their engine.  The idea of a battle royale itself also isn't new.  It will be interesting to see where things go.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Xelus said:

Am I understanding correctly that they're attempting to lay exclusive claim to the Battle Royale game mode?

If so, someone needs to give the team behind PUBG a swift kick in the ass.

People keep reading this as they are laying claim to battle royale. And they are not.

PC Gamer: So it's not the mode you guys have an issue with. From your statement or your press release earlier today, it said that there were similarities in the UI, and the other things mentioned were the gameplay and structural replication in the battle royale mode. Can you specify exactly, if you're not objecting to a battle royale mode in another game, then what do you mean by concerns about gameplay?

There are a lot of different issues but everyone else that released a battle royale game mode made their own thing, but it was Epic Games that made this game that is similar to us that has similar elements, and that's the concern, that it was Epic Games.

We use Unreal Engine to develop PUBG, and we pay a large amount of royalties based on the size of our success to Epic Games, and Epic Games always promoted their licensing models [saying] "We want to support the success indie developers", and [Bluehole is] this indie developer that has been the most successful one using the Unreal Engine this year, and that's the problem that I see.
    They are naive.  The industry is filled with clones of other games down to the UI level.
  • DeasantDeasant Member UncommonPosts: 198

Herase said:

However, in the interest of fairness...

http://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-exec-clarifies-objection-to-fortnite-battle-royale-its-not-about-the-idea-itself-its-about-epic-games/

Seems the specific issue is that PUBG is paying royalties to Epic for using their engine, and now Epic is creating a direct competitor.  That complicates things.

Lets be honest here, in no way is Fortnights BR going to be any sort of competition to them. Period.

No disrespect to the Epic team, heck they even said they made the game in homage to PUBG , but PUBG is probably the top played game on Steam and Twitch, if they honestly think the game is going to even touch their number or players, they must be smoking some strong ass shit at BHole

Well, PUBG is a really bad shooter. It's fun because of the battle royale aspect. But the positional audio is absolute trash. And the mechanics are trash too. Get the bead on someone? 2 headshots? That's OK they'll still kill you. I've already moved on. Waiting for 2004 Joint Operations to go on sale on Steam to play a legit shooter
    Deasant said:
    Well, PUBG is a really bad shooter. It's fun because of the battle royale aspect. But the positional audio is absolute trash. And the mechanics are trash too. Get the bead on someone? 2 headshots? That's OK they'll still kill you. I've already moved on. Waiting for 2004 Joint Operations to go on sale on Steam to play a legit shooter
    It's all about popularity, and it is popular so that will be the standing ground they have, for me to react like this to Fortnite shows they feel threatened.

And that is just a game-mode and not the main game even.
    Excession
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    They pay EPIC royalties because they licensed to use their engine. If EPIC wants to make a Battle Royale game, they have every right to.

You can't copyright game modes. Petty lawsuit by a petty company.
    [Deleted User]
  • darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    If they where to somehow pull this off they would kill their own game. As ether epic would no longer allow them the use of the unreal engine or h1z1 would in turn pursue legal action again pubg for ripping off king of the kill. This is a pr stunt from blue hole that is just backfiring badly.
    [Deleted User]
    Dauzqul said:
    They pay EPIC royalties because they licensed to use their engine. If EPIC wants to make a Battle Royale game, they have every right to.

You can't copyright game modes. Petty lawsuit by a petty company.
    Yeah I got the same.

Sure it leaves a salty taste on EPIC's clients on creating direct competitors to their games at the same time they charge them royalties to use their engine, but end of the day they aren't doing anything that would be logically illegal.
  • DeasantDeasant Member UncommonPosts: 198
    MaxBacon said:
    Deasant said:
    It's all about popularity, and it is popular so that will be the standing ground they have, for me to react like this to Fortnite shows they feel threatened.

And that is just a game-mode and not the main game even.

And popularity is actually a good 'unintended feature'. It certainly helps to have a robust playlist of games queuing up. So yeah that's another "+" I could've credited them. Will watch this game for awhile to see how they do with audio improvements.
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    This article makes me glad not to have played PUBG.
    lulz @ missing out on one of the biggest breakout successes in the last 5 years.....
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    People sniffs da money and the nasty comes out. News at 6.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Nyctelios said:
    ianicus said:
    This article makes me glad not to have played PUBG.
    lulz @ missing out on one of the biggest breakout successes in the last 5 years.....
    Why are you not playing Candy Crush and that-facebook-game-with-the-boobie-girls?

According to your logic the greatest games ever made.
    because they review facebook games on this website every day...come on, be serious. when we are talking SERIOUS games, not mobile/fb garbage, there is usually (always) a reason for their success...dont be a troll.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Sounds like someone is trying to avoid paying all the royalties they owe...
    ScellowSlyLoK

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• AztokAztok Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Sounds like all the want is for Epic games to play fair and not cripple Bluehole. when really its already to late. Epic games will cash in on the genre's success and eat bluehole alive. its just business.

They shouldve made contracts that wouldve prevented Epic games from doing this very thing.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I'd prefer to play Fornite anyways. So in my own little selfish world, I am happy. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • KrynKryn Member UncommonPosts: 172
    edited September 2017
    I don't play either game but heres an idea. How about PUBG make their game BETTER. Quite bixxhing and make your game BETTER than Fortnite. Are they scared their game is not better and they will lose out? That is called survival of the fittest. Man up on your game and shut up I say.
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    There is nothing pubg can do at all, battle royale has been around long before pubg was even a thing. They are just scared that fortnite will do better as it has more than just pointless run around shooting people. Mind you I find games lile pubg completly pointless and don't see what the draw to them is at all.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    TheHavok said:

You are correct about PUBG's current popularity but I think that speaks more about the wildly successful battle royale game mode then it speaks about PUBG itself...which is a very poorly made game but is THAT much better then downloading ARMA mods or playing H1Z1 or DayZ to get your battle royale fix. PUBG does audio very well but the rest of the game runs like shit..which millions of people overlook because the battle royale game mode is so fun to play, especially with squads.
    Re-thinking I guess you're right. I haven't played PUBG yet so didn't realise it was poorly made. I guess at this point if your slight steep up in the BR genre and offer that little bit more you're going to draw the crowd. If Epics BR has crisper game play and very competitive gameplay, they could be a bigger competitor maybe.