Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Derek Smart is right about Star Citizen - His facts and why SC is likely to fail

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2017
    Kefo said:
    The company isn't defunct if a publisher buys it. The company would be defunct if it went into bankruptcy and its assets were sold off to the highest bidder. 
    Ah, finally you did post outside the biased BS and start getting a bit of business in.

A company that will shut doors sells the IPs, the Assets and such to one Publisher, that Publisher can even buy out the offices and employe the same people and even rebrand the game, the responsibilities were tied to the defunct company, not to the actual game IPs and assets.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    What publisher in their right mind would take over this project after CR himself whipped his fan base into a frenzy over how evil publishers are?

Even if a publisher overlooked CR's comments about how terrible they are they would run for the hills once they see the community. You can't voice constructive criticism without getting shouted down about it so what do you think the toxic community is going to do when a publisher starts cutting unrealistic features?

You are so unaware of how this actually works it's lol, what matters to publishers is resumed in one word: Money.

Not how good or bad game is, not communities, not any of that BS... Just money. If they see profitability, they are interested. Vocal minorities within a community are highly irrelevant to that. lol
    I would partially agree. I do think though that with CR's critism of the established publisher system and seen as how SC has been the poster child for the "new model" that they would really want to get involved. They would have plenty reasons to just let it burn and crash.

Of course if CR straight out gave it to a publisher to finish, they just might take it. Might. Though if the road to finish is too long it might be deemed unprofitable to finish it, as the lions share of the "sure" money, the fan money, have already been earned. Any additional earning would be from Joe Average gamer, and that might be a harder sell. In addition it is not an easy port to consoles for additional earnings.

At this point it is not an easy sell to get an additional investor on board if the current cash have been burned already.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    Let's see.

toxic community to drive away potential customers...check
    1) Toxic here is who generalizes one community because of loud minorities that exist in ANY community to attempt to make a point. Untrue and Irrelevant.

2) Mostly Irrelevant to it.

3) Your opinion and mostly irrelevant to it.

It looks to me you just looking for straws while lacking an actual business perspective on what actually matters.
    1) and you think companies wouldn't be looking at the community before they buy a company? Big publishers keep psychologists on staff now a days because gamers are fickle creatures so looking at the community would be a factor.

2) mostly irrelevant lol so you can't argue it so you try to diminish it.

3) how is it my opinion when you know for a fact what has been promised and what has been delivered so far? You can't spin this one max and you know it
    MaxBaconExcession
  • RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    On June 24th, Derek Smart posted...

"THE STAR CITIZEN PROJECT IS IN FINANCIAL TROUBLE After raising over $150 million in crowd-funding, plus unknown investor amounts and bank loans, on June 13th, 2017, CIG/RSI took out a high-risk loan secured by all the assets backers had poured money into..."

and

"As I have reported in the past, for some time now sources have informed me that the project was in financial dire straits."

So his inside sources would know far more than fans or people watching the game, and know even more than the haters themselves. It is true, and signs point to mass money loss and vast management issues.

Not only that, but Chris Roberts is well known for mismanagement and wasting money, sort of like the guy behind Black and White god game series and Fable. So it should be no surprise about this.

On top of that, they keep adding shit to the game that isn't needed...why in the hell waste time literally adding shit? Like literal shit they added. That is the biggest waste of resources ever, and I do NOT want to play a game where I have to worry about going to the bathroom and also at the same time have to use the bathroom in real life. This is a great example of resources and feature creep taking over the game, and wasting so much money on NEW features and not enough on existing projects.

On top of that, while that large refund WAS a scam and lie, the game is still being refunded at a large rate according to Derek Smart and they took advantage of the lie, but do not tell the truth of how many are refunding the game. Even if the company refuses a refund, you can call a bank and get them to do a charge back...easy as that.

But the biggest worry and sign of a game being mismanaged, as seen in many games of mismanaged projects (like remember Kingdoms of Amalur?), is just so many unneeded features being added.

On top of that, taking out loans is NOT a good sign after making so much money from crowdfunding. What happened to all that crowd funded money that required to take out a loan?

Just this morning I did a charge back on Star Citizen (called my bank), only put in 50 dollars, but I can't support a company that is so badly mismanaged. And I don't want to play Sims in space, MMO edition where I have to worry about stupid bathrooms...no thanks lol

What are your guys thoughts on all this and what Derek Smart has said and discovered about the game?

"they keep adding shit to the game that isn't needed...why in the hell waste time literally adding shit? Like literal shit they added. "-I ask myself the same about this post...
    edited September 2017
    hfztt said:
    I would partially agree. I do think though that with CR's critism of the established publisher system and seen as how SC has been the poster child for the "new model" that they would really want to get involved. They would have plenty reasons to just let it burn and crash.

Of course if CR straight out gave it to a publisher to finish, they just might take it. Might. Though if the road to finish is too long it might be deemed unprofitable to finish it, as the lions share of the "sure" money, the fan money, have already been earned. Any additional earning would be from Joe Average gamer, and that might be a harder sell. In addition it is not an easy port to consoles for additional earnings.

At this point it is not an easy sell to get an additional investor on board if the current cash have been burned already.
    I think SC continues to prove its revenue strength, its potential there is very high mostly because it simply isn't released yet and the real in-game monetization hasn't even begun.

CIG unlike it would be with a publisher, the 160 million they crowdfunded are not a "loan", the money was literally donated so you as a publisher would not see any "160m debt", less risk there because the game continues to generate dozens of millions yearly during the dev process (and they could see/take part of that money as a return/interest guarantee).

Kefo said:
    1) and you think companies wouldn't be looking at the community before they buy a company? Big publishers keep psychologists on staff now a days because gamers are fickle creatures so looking at the community would be a factor.

2) mostly irrelevant lol so you can't argue it so you try to diminish it.

3) how is it my opinion when you know for a fact what has been promised and what has been delivered so far? You can't spin this one max and you know it
    1) Yes and they would see nothing as a normal game community of one irrelevant impact to the money factor, the active community is by itself (in any game!) a minority of its total community. The publishers themselves so often ignore their own communities because the backlash and outcries represent a minority of their totals, not being of relevant impact to their decision.

3) SC is heavy tech-based, they have developed massive chunks of it for years, the only debt they have is that they ARE ambitious and need more tech to tackle in what they want to do, this would not be seen as debt by a publisher as obviously, they would prefer to just adjust the scope to be able to use the already existent tech. If anything SC could sell/lease tech or even assets (even with the licenses attached).
    KefoExcessionGdemami
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    DS could be right, but it would probably be for all the wrong reasons.

I think it's fair to say that if CR is a good producer, there's not much evidence of it in this production.  It's wonderful to be a dreamer, but if you can't keep a project to a reasonable scope, you're likely to have an incoherent product at the end, if a product at all.  There's very good odds that the end product for this project will instead be a lesson for future producers.

But I do have a theory as to why CR keeps adding nonsensical "features" to the project, and it's a simple one.  The basic gameplay is not compelling.  Even with all the beauty of flying to a planet and landing with 0 load screens, getting out and walking around, sniping an NPC or 2 from 500m away, I have yet to see any interesting gameplay.  So he keeps piling literal shit and other unnecessary features on top of the whole to keep the project in progress, hoping that along the way, the base gameplay will come together.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't.  It's in my interest that it does.  I got a free ship with my last vid card purchase 2+ years ago, and I'd like to use it.  But I have my doubts, and they have nothing to do with DS's comments.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's possible the game could end up another Freelancer.  A deal is made with another publisher, a lot of stuff gets stripped away and basic game is launched to be slowly upgraded if it looks successful.  Also the same for SQ42.

Freelancer is a space trading and combat simulation video game developed by Digital Anvil and published by Microsoft Game Studios. It is a chronological sequel to Digital Anvil's Starlancer, a combat flight simulator released in 2000. The game was initially announced by Chris Roberts in 1999, and following many production schedule mishaps and a buyout of Digital Anvil by Microsoft, it was eventually released in March 2003.

Development

In 1997, Chris Roberts began work on a vision he had since he first conceived Wing Commander. He wanted to realize a virtual galaxy, whose systems execute their own programs regardless of the players' presence; cities would be bustling with transports and each world's weather changes on its own time. Commodity prices in each star system would fluctuate, according to the activities of the computer controlled traders, who import and export goods. Roberts envisioned thousands of players simultaneously interacting with and influencing this world through a unique and intuitive user interface never seen before in other games. Each player could pursue a quest set up for their character, and join other players to attempt other missions together without needing to exit the game and start a new mode of play. Artificial intelligence would fly the players' spacecraft, letting them concentrate on combat or other tasks. Roberts intended the cutscenes and gameplay visuals to be of equal quality so players would be unable to distinguish between the two.[34][35]

Two years later, the project was officially announced as Freelancer at GameStock, an annual showcase to the mass media of Microsoft's games.[36] The media covered the event, focusing on the features promised for this game. There were concerns about the state of the graphics and uncertainties over the promise of a dynamic economy, but gaming site GameSpot gave Roberts and his company, Digital Anvil, the benefit of their doubts.[37] Initially in 1999, Roberts announced the game would be available on the market by fall 2000.[34] However, the project suffered delays and by Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2000, Roberts said the earliest release for the game was at the end of 2001.[5]

In June 2000, Microsoft started talks to buy Digital Anvil. Roberts admitted that his team required large sums of money, which only a huge company could provide, to continue developing Freelancer with its "wildly ambitious" features and unpredictable schedule; the project had overshot its original development projection of three years by 18 months. Roberts trusted that Microsoft would not compromise his vision for Freelancer, and was convinced the software giant would not attempt the takeover if it did not believe Freelancer could sell at least 500,000 copies when released.[38] Roberts left the company on completion of the deal, but assumed a creative consultant role on Freelancer until its release.[39] Microsoft instructed Digital Anvil to scale down the ambitions of the project and focus on finishing the game based on what was possible and the team's strengths.[13][19] Features such as the automated flight control, conversations that had different choices of responses, and sub-quests were abandoned.[12] Despite the reductions, several reviewers believed the resultant product was still true to Robert's vision.[5][13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_(video_game)

RobsolfKefobartoni33

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    So the guy that just recently made a name for himself by being contrarian to SC, because it doesn't look like he has anything else worth noting going on... is a trusted and non-biased source of information?... along with another anonymous inside "source"?

*That Country Time moment where the validity of "anonymous sources" weren't laughed at*

As background I may purchase in the far future when SC is fully released (who doesn't want to play Spike) but I have no vested interest now. I do hope it works because it's a great idea and it's funny to see this hooplah everyday about the "pending dooooom" of SC. Certainly keeping it on the front page.
    ShodanasMrMelGibson
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Wow! 4 pages necessary to say why DS is right? It's quite simple, post 3 proves that he's unreliable, so anything he states cannot be taken seriously, the same way that the anti-SC crowd isn't wrong to say that they cannot take any release dates for this project seriously. I don't know what the debate is, OP is obviously wrong. DS might be right the same way that doomsday prophets will be right at some point too, but it won't be because he's a genius, it'll be because, statistically, he's GOT to be right about SOMETHING at some point. There are posters on here who post more relevant and factual information. 
    MrMelGibson

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    MaxBacon said:
    I think SC continues to prove its revenue strength, its potential there is very high mostly because it simply isn't released yet and the real in-game monetization hasn't even begun.
    As far as I understand they will only do cosmetics. And the game is B2P.

How exactly are they going to monetize? Going the cosmetics way only work with a very large player base. (League of Legends, Path of Exile)

Selling SQ42 in slices is pretty much the only thing they can rely on for major cash boosts. And that is only provided they can make it run on average hardware and not what they require now for a decent frame rate.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    gir243 said:
    I'm confused.  OP, weren't you pro-SC in your other thread that has now been edited?  Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.
    I'm not a big fan of SC anymore. I was a big fan, but they keep adding stupid crap that doesn't need to be in the game instead of finishing the game and THEN adding stuff. Plus I read lots of information from Derek Smart last night, and discovered a lot about the game that caused much suspicion.

I'd rather use the 50 dollars to a different game, like I can get a bunch of games on sale on Steam for 50 dollars during the Winter sales
    Don't ever listen to Derek Smart. He is a scourge on the gaming community. Pure poison.
    MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    hfztt said:
    MaxBacon said:

How exactly are they going to monetize? Going the cosmetics way only work with a very large player base. (League of Legends, Path of Exile)

Selling SQ42 in slices is pretty much the only thing they can rely on for major cash boosts. And that is only provided they can make it run on average hardware and not what they require now for a decent frame rate.

Well many have said that they will only monetize cosmetics.... until they are dying and then they turn to monetizing whatever they can. There is actually plenty that you COULD monetize, even if only we are just talking about cosmetics. Housing, billboards in cities, space stations, clan hangouts, planets, moons, asteroids, ship skins, just to name a few. These could all be cosmetic-based, too. 
    MrMelGibson

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Talonsin said:
    Derek Smart has one of the biggest egos in the business.  Both him and Chris Roberts have been living for years off the work they did decades ago and that work was assisted by countless others who get no credit for their contributions.

Derek has been predicting the financial collapse of CIG for years.  I think goons feed him this information just to watch him get an O-Face and then come and post another prediction of CIG collapsing.

Chris Roberts is really just like Derek, if you gave Derek 150 million to build a game we would be looking at the same degree of mismanagement and the forever addition of useless features like we are now.

If both of them were hanging from a building and I had to pick one to save I honestly dont know which one I would lend a hand to.  They would probably both die as I mulled the decision over in my head.

I pretty much agree here. Both DS and Chris have a healthy dose of narcissism, which is funny because in reality their success was built on the backs of others. DS really has done nothing to be overly proud of and Chris is living off history. Neither of them can manage well anything, I am honestly surprised that people give money to Chris. That is extreme folly in and of itself. Derek has made himself irrelevant by failing to make anything and making a career out of naysaying Chris. imo they are both jokes and a study in how not to do things.

Not saying that Chris does not have good ideas, he obviously does but to let him have any say in how money is spent is just a terrible idea.

Having said all that, I am not really in either camp. I dislike both principals on either side of the debate and distrust them about as much as I do career politicians. I think a game will be made (probably better to say finished at this point, since there is already a game) how good it will be is too objective to say, I doubt I would like it (with the exception of the Star Marine bit). But I am thinking we will see something.

As to Derek, he is grabbing at strings in a vain attempt to remain relevant in some way. His best bet is to quietly back out of this, get to the lab and try to design a game that sells more than ten copies if he wants to be relevant. Let this fight go.

They have both had way more fame than they deserve. I, for one, am going to let them fade away as they deserve.
    Arglebarglebartoni33

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

edited September 2017
    hfztt said:

It's not cosmetic, it is a currency microtransaction, it will depend on its implementation and value to see how it will drive. SQ42 is the side thing that will be sold on its own, then its sequels, but those still have to be developed, but SC specifically will face the normal revenue models we see in MMO's, without the sub-based ones (cause is B2P) and paid expansion-based ones (their plan shows to do that but under SQ42).
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    hfztt said:
    MaxBacon said:

They have said that after launch they intend their main income to be from selling in game currency.

If that is their intention then they have to designing the game to "encourage" people to buy in game currency. It's something I would really like for them to clarify. I do not believe for one second that it will be a totally benign system aimed solely at the guy with lots of money but no time to play.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    hfztt said:
    MaxBacon said:

They have said that after launch they intend their main income to be from selling in game currency.

If that is their intention then they have to designing the game to "encourage" people to buy in game currency. It's something I would really like for them to clarify. I do not believe for one second that it will be a totally benign system aimed solely at the guy with lots of money but no time to play.
    It never is. It will be aimed at the guy with lots of money unless you like playing a waiting game for timers to count down before you can fly again. 

Pirate just blew up your ship? No problem! Spend x amount of dollars and we will jump your ship to the front of the insurance queue so you get it back faster!

Dont feel like spending all that time mining? No problem! Give us 10 bucks and we will add 30% increase to your laser power for the next week so you can increase your yields!
    edited September 2017
    This is just the deal, this is how MMO's do mainly generate revenue, by monetizing the "time vs money" factor, and when it comes to SC one just has to come to terms with that because there's no magical solution, as he said things like vanity shops do work but for games with a very large player base.

The currency shall be set on that aspect, the same thing you earn and buy to allow you to play and get, spend and get, or (what I believe will be the main case), both.

When I spend money in microtransactions, is mostly to get more of something I can already earn to reduce the necessary time I'd have to play for it.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    MaxBacon said:
    This is just the deal, this is how MMO's do mainly generate revenue, by monetizing the "time vs money" factor, and when it comes to SC one just has to come to terms with that because there's no magical solution, as he said things like vanity shops do work but for games with a very large player base.

The currency shall be set on that aspect, the same thing you earn and buy to allow you to play and get, spend and get, or (what I believe will be the main case), both.

When I spend money in microtransactions, is mostly to get more of something I can already earn to reduce the necessary time I'd have to play for it.

Some MMOs, there are still plenty of MMOs that don't cater to that nonsense.

Anyway this isn't about "time vs money". If selling UEC is their intended main income am I going to find myself pushed towards buying UEC, will the game be designed to make it harder for those that don't buy, ie like those crappy F2P games?
    We don't know but the fact that they are basing their income around selling in game currency means that they forsee a demand for it, are they going to engineer that demand?

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    MaxBacon said:
    hfztt said:

It's not cosmetic, it is a currency microtransaction, it will depend on its implementation and value to see how it will drive. SQ42 is the side thing that will be sold on its own, then its sequels, but those still have to be developed, but SC specifically will face the normal revenue models we see in MMO's, without the sub-based ones (cause is B2P) and paid expansion-based ones (their plan shows to do that but under SQ42).
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them introduce an optional sub like ESO or SWTOR.  I'm betting it's already been talked about in house.  After all, it would be easy money.
  • ScoliozScolioz Member UncommonPosts: 110
    edited September 2017
    If you spend 150 million dollars developing any kind of software and it still isn't done.. There's fraud and scamming going on. End of story. It's just common sense. This game is nothing more than a game designed to be a big money pit collecting as much money from suckers as possible before it just goes bankrupt.  If a company needs crow funding to build their product then they are losers who could never secure real investors who would never give them money without meeting deadlines and milestones.  EA and Ubi Soft don't crow fund their projects.. because their successful companies that are not managed by broke criminals.

rpmcmurphyGdemamiMaxBacon
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Scolioz said:
    If you spend 150 million dollars developing any kind of software and it still isn't done.. There's fraud and scamming going on. End of story. It's just common sense.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure gross incompetence has been the cause for failures around that size in the past, too.
    ArglebargleKefoAsm0deus
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    edited September 2017
    Reading Derek Smart's assessment of Star Citizen is like reading a Fox New article on... well...anything...most of it is just hyperbole.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonTalonsin
  • donjuanagaindonjuanagain Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Ive probably spent close to $800 on this game and I have no intentions of asking for a penny back.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    It's crap post like the one the OP has started that has pretty much kept me away from MMORPG.com - this post does nothing but promote Derek Smart and his agenda.  It serves no other purpose and one other little truth - DS has predicted the SC failing almost since day one - guess what OP SC is still on track and getting made and the game development has not collapsed yet.

Saxx0ngervaise1MaxBaconMrMelGibsonExcession
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Rhoklaw said:
    Teala said:
    It's crap post like the one the OP has started that has pretty much kept me away from MMORPG.com - this post does nothing but promote Derek Smart and his agenda.  It serves no other purpose and one other little truth - DS has predicted the SC failing almost since day one - guess what OP SC is still on track and getting made and the game development has not collapsed yet.

Uhm, technically speaking, SC is NOT on track, but that doesn't even concern me. I'm more concerned about what they spend their money on.
    Yeah, and they keep adding features instead of working with what they got. I do remember them saying they'd add features post-release, so why can't they do that and finish the game?

They seem too focused on getting more money, so much that they do is for additional funding. But they already got a lot of funding, the most of any kickstarting project. Tells me its not being managed correctly, which Robert IS well known for not managing things well in the past

As for Teala's post. I guess he gets triggered when anyone has a different opinion than himself lol. That is the good thing about MMORPG.com, you can have a variety of opinions. Not like reddit or most other forums/sites where you get banned or warned or severely hated on if you don't agree with the majority on the site/forum. MMORPG.com allows for a variety of opinions and beliefs. 
    HeraseMaxBacon

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul