Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Destiny 2 an MMO:Poll

Comments

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Eldurian said:
    The gamelist on THIS website classifies Destiny 1 & 2 as, and i quote, "MMOFPS". You can repeat "destiny is not an mmo" many times (in fact, many has done so). It does not seem to be changing minds.

That's fine. This site admits they intentionally muddle the meaning to get more people to use the site.

With the exception of you and like 2 people minds don't need to be changed. The vast majority of us already know what an MMO is.
    I'm not sure this site ever said that.  I think they said they cover things which people think are interesting.  They even cover single player games.  

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    edited September 2017
    AAAMEOW said:
    Eldurian said:
    The gamelist on THIS website classifies Destiny 1 & 2 as, and i quote, "MMOFPS". You can repeat "destiny is not an mmo" many times (in fact, many has done so). It does not seem to be changing minds.

That's fine. This site admits they intentionally muddle the meaning to get more people to use the site.

With the exception of you and like 2 people minds don't need to be changed. The vast majority of us already know what an MMO is.
    I'm not sure this site ever said that.  I think they said they cover things which people think are interesting.  They even cover single player games.  

In fact, did they actually publicly associate Destiny 1 & 2 with the label "MMO"? If they just put the classification in the game list, it does not look like an overt act to deceive people. Also i highly doubt that just the label will drive traffic.

Do you really believe that you need to classify Destiny 2 as a MMO here to drive traffic, as opposed to just talk about it as a co-op shooter RPG?

But obviously I am not the one who put the label there, so you have to ask them their real intentions. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      Annnnd   the people have spoken again :) lol
    Forgrimm
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    For the people that voted yes,

How exactly is Destiny 2 a MMO and not just multiplayer?

I don't see 3 people running instances as Massively Multiplayer in the least.

Where is the logic?
    Gdemami

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Its MASSIVE......
    Its MULTIPLAYER........
    Its ONLINE........

All words that describe something.....what is that something?
    Destiny 2 is indeed a massive multiplayer online game. 

Destiny 2 is not a massively multiplayer online game. 

Those two extra letters make a big difference. 
    To be fair .. Talu did not state clearly of whether Destiny 2 is a MMO or not .. he just wrote a bunch of words, and claims that those words describe "something".

Obviously, he may not even be aware of what the first M stands for. Most people, including those who classifies games on this website, don't care. Why should he?
    Also to be fair, he was seperating words and shortening them to entirely change their meaning. Which leaves me with a question to you, what is a lie?
    When an argument is based on a lie it defines the nature of the argument itself. :/
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    millions playing=MMO :o
    Phry
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Rhoklaw said:
    I'm just going to keep saying all apples are oranges now, because apparently it's the same argument. There is no logic behind games that are played online should all be considered MMOs. If Meridian 59, UO and EQ only had 32 people per server when the term MMO was first introduced, you'd all have a leg to stand on, but I'm afraid that isn't the case. I remember when CoD and BF4 were called FPS games, but now they are considered MMOFPS? Oh wait, no one ever called them that. Only Planetside 2 acquired that title so far. I wonder why that is?
    Does anyone besides me remember "portal storms" in AC? When there were more players in an area than the game could handle comfortably, the area got culled and you got teleported somewhere nearby.

There have been technological advances since those early days and servers and clients can handle many more players in an area than what AC could handle in 1999 and the numbers would be even bigger if we had 1999 graphics.

The thing is that we want both: cutting edge graphics and a large population all in the same spot. Problem is that we can't have both. So MMO developers started coming up with instancing and phasing tricks to give us the illusion that we can.

It's all that instancing and especially LFG queues for PVE and PVP content that confuses the issue for those who have no clue why modern MMOs do things the way they do or are just easily confused. So they start lumping games that ONLY do the lobby + queue + instance together with the ones that do other things that support much, much larger numbers of players playing togethr, not just standing waiting for their queue to pop, on screen simultaneously and ADDITIONALLY have instances and queues for some of their content.

There are also some MMO players who don't really care for the world, the leveling, the stories, etc. They're the ones who park themselves near vendors and AH's and just queue for instanced content non-stop. I can see how to them, Destiny feels no different than WOW.

Gdemami[Deleted User]VelifaxMadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Raquis said:
    If that was even remotely true then Minesweeper would be the biggest MMO ever.
    Phry said:
    Raquis said:
    If that was even remotely true then Minesweeper would be the biggest MMO ever.
    And online poker lol.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    I'm just going to keep saying all apples are oranges now, because apparently it's the same argument. There is no logic behind games that are played online should all be considered MMOs. If Meridian 59, UO and EQ only had 32 people per server when the term MMO was first introduced, you'd all have a leg to stand on, but I'm afraid that isn't the case. I remember when CoD and BF4 were called FPS games, but now they are considered MMOFPS? Oh wait, no one ever called them that. Only Planetside 2 acquired that title so far. I wonder why that is?
    Does anyone besides me remember "portal storms" in AC? When there were more players in an area than the game could handle comfortably, the area got culled and you got teleported somewhere nearby.

There have been technological advances since those early days and servers and clients can handle many more players in an area than what AC could handle in 1999 and the numbers would be even bigger if we had 1999 graphics.

The thing is that we want both: cutting edge graphics and a large population all in the same spot. Problem is that we can't have both. So MMO developers started coming up with instancing and phasing tricks to give us the illusion that we can.

It's all that instancing and especially LFG queues for PVE and PVP content that confuses the issue for those who have no clue why modern MMOs do things the way they do or are just easily confused. So they start lumping games that ONLY do the lobby + queue + instance together with the ones that do other things that support much, much larger numbers of players playing togethr, not just standing waiting for their queue to pop, on screen simultaneously and ADDITIONALLY have instances and queues for some of their content.

There are also some MMO players who don't really care for the world, the leveling, the stories, etc. They're the ones who park themselves near vendors and AH's and just queue for instanced content non-stop. I can see how to them, Destiny feels no different than WOW.

If you are going by the criteria based on 'feels' rather than 'fact' then games such as Dragon Age:Inquisition also 'feels' like your playing an MMO because of things like grind, quests etc.
    Massively Multiplayer has only one meaning, as does Online, its when people deliberately try to change that meaning or obfuscate it with straw man arguments or more often than not factually incorrect arguments, that 'people' become confused as to what the actual meaning is.
    DA:I is not an MMO, despite having more than a few features that are drawn from certain MMO's, likewise Destiny 1 and 2 are not MMO's though at least they are Online Games, but the multiplayer aspect is by no means able to be classed as being 'massively multiplayer' there aren't thousands of players, there are not even hundreds of players, there is just a maximum of 16, and there are caveats even with that figure, honestly, there are more players in a single match of CS:GO than there are simultaneous players in Destiny 1 or 2.
    Feelings are not based on facts or logic, it is an ephemeral sensation that is subject to change and are largely irrelevant. :/
    ConstantineMerusGdemamiVelifax
    edited September 2017
    Phry said:
    Iselin said:
    Rhoklaw said:

If you are going by the criteria based on 'feels' rather than 'fact' then games such as Dragon Age:Inquisition also 'feels' like your playing an MMO because of things like grind, quests etc.
    Massively Multiplayer has only one meaning, as does Online, its when people deliberately try to change that meaning or obfuscate it with straw man arguments or more often than not factually incorrect arguments, that 'people' become confused as to what the actual meaning is.
    DA:I is not an MMO, despite having more than a few features that are drawn from certain MMO's, likewise Destiny 1 and 2 are not MMO's though at least they are Online Games, but the multiplayer aspect is by no means able to be classed as being 'massively multiplayer' there aren't thousands of players, there are not even hundreds of players, there is just a maximum of 16, and there are caveats even with that figure, honestly, there are more players in a single match of CS:GO than there are simultaneous players in Destiny 1 or 2.
    Feelings are not based on facts or logic, it is an ephemeral sensation that is subject to change and are largely irrelevant. :/
    It's not me going on feelings. I'm just speculating as to why some people who seem to be reasonably intelligent insist that Destiny is. How it feels to them based on their MMO playing style is the best I could come up with :)
    Gdemami[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited September 2017
    Destiny 2 is the most fun I’ve had in am MMORPG since EverQuest back in the day. 

Yes. I consider it an MMORPG. I actually think it’s better since it’s an FPS type game and it isn’t so heavily designed around either solo or group play. It seems to strike a much better balance between the two than any MMO that I’ve played (they tend to be polarizing in how far the pendulum can be shifted by conventional MMORPG developers). 

The nature of of the game also means is completely playable on consoles and you can master the controls in an hour or so - not really the case for something like FFXIV. 

Im totally sold on it.

PC MMOs are going to start bleeding customers to console MMOs like this. The consoles are cheap and remove system requirements as a barrier, and these games have better gameplay along with all the communication tools being built directly into the platform. 

I doubt I will go back to PC MMOs again. I don’t see a point in them, anymore. The nostalgia is good, but I can’t be bothered sitting at a desk and being so monetarily limited when I can lie in bed comfortably while playing a game like this on a cheap console and controller with good graphics and consistent, reliable performance. And don’t have to worry about upgrading until the next console generation...
    Excession[Deleted User]MadFrenchie
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited September 2017
    Darksworm said:
    Destiny 2 is the most fun I’ve had in am MMORPG since EverQuest back in the day. 

Yes. I consider it an MMORPG. I actually think it’s better since it’s an FPS type game and it isn’t so heavily designed around either solo or group play. It seems to strike a much better balance between the two than any MMO that I’ve played (they tend to be polarizing in how far the pendulum can be shifted by conventional MMORPG developers). 

The nature of of the game also means is completely playable on consoles and you can master the controls in an hour or so - not really the case for something like FFXIV. 

Im totally sold on it.

PC MMOs are going to start bleeding customers to console MMOs like this. The consoles are cheap and remove system requirements as a barrier, and these games have better gameplay along with all the communication tools being built directly into the platform. 

I doubt I will go back to PC MMOs again. I don’t see a point in them, anymore. The nostalgia is good, but I can’t be bothered sitting at a desk and being so monetarily limited when I can lie in bed comfortably while playing a game like this on a cheap console and controller with good graphics and consistent, reliable performance. And don’t have to worry about upgrading until the next console generation...
    The quality of the game is irrelevant to it's status as an MMO. The question is "Is it massively multiplayer," not "Is it fun?"

I think Deus Ex, SMITE, Age of Empires 2, Total War Attila and Starcraft 2 are pretty fun. Doesn't make the MMOs. Just makes them fun games.
    Gdemami
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Nilden said:

Where is the logic?
    Guess WoW isn't an MMO either if we go by "3 people running instances". WoW has tiny co-op sized groups to do dungeons and just slightly larger for raids (raids however were much larger in vanilla WoW and more a "massively" experience), and its all instanced content unless you want nerfed items found in the world. In fact, most of WoW's gameplay is an instance. If you want to get the best items in WoW, gotta be in an instance and its all co-op groups. No one can interact with anyone else outside that group in WoW.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Nilden said:

Where is the logic?
    Guess WoW isn't an MMO either if we go by "3 people running instances". WoW has tiny co-op sized groups to do dungeons and just slightly larger for raids (raids however were much larger in vanilla WoW and more a "massively" experience), and its all instanced content unless you want nerfed items found in the world.

And WoW also has world content where hundreds of people can see and interact with each other. "Nerfed" items or not, it is a world that people can actually see people in and interact with each other.

In fact, most of WoW's gameplay is an instance. If you want to get the best items in WoW, gotta be in an instance and its all co-op groups. No one can interact with anyone else outside that group in WoW.

This is just false. People can interact with each other outside of groups. And they do it all the time.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Nilden said:

Where is the logic?
    Guess WoW isn't an MMO either if we go by "3 people running instances". WoW has tiny co-op sized groups to do dungeons and just slightly larger for raids (raids however were much larger in vanilla WoW and more a "massively" experience), and its all instanced content unless you want nerfed items found in the world. In fact, most of WoW's gameplay is an instance. If you want to get the best items in WoW, gotta be in an instance and its all co-op groups. No one can interact with anyone else outside that group in WoW.
    Completely untrue. In Legion especially, the open world is always well populated with people due to world quests and world bosses.
    ConstantineMerus
    Forgrimm said:
    Nilden said:

Where is the logic?
    Completely untrue. In Legion especially, the open world is always well populated with people due to world quests and world bosses.
    Yes, but this is solely about instances as in what I quoted by Nilden. Destiny 2 also has open areas where people can all interact, so that then makes it an MMO. So both Destiny 2 and WoW have open areas where lots of people come together, and also both have co-op sized instances.

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353
    I'm so fed up with developers claiming their games are mmo's when clearly their not, how about you ask three simple questions.
    1. Is it Massive ? 
      ( this pertains or should pertain to the total number of players able to be in the same game space and interact with each other, and personally I feel that number should be easily over 150-200 players, which is the very upper limit for fps style games.)
    2. Is it Multiplayer. ?
    3. Is it Online. ?
    Destiny is a firm no, 1:No, 2:Yes , 3:Yes .. Not an MMO
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Taiphoz said:
    I'm so fed up with developers claiming their games are mmo's when clearly their not, how about you ask three simple questions.
    1. Is it Massive ? 
      ( this pertains or should pertain to the total number of players able to be in the same game space and interact with each other, and personally I feel that number should be easily over 150-200 players, which is the very upper limit for fps style games.)
    2. Is it Multiplayer. ?
    3. Is it Online. ?
    Destiny is a firm no, 1:No, 2:Yes , 3:Yes .. Not an MMO
       Bungie and ATVI both say its not an MMO ..  Single player / Multi Player /Coop

DeVoDeVo
    Forgrimm said:
    Nilden said:

Where is the logic?
    Yes, but this is solely about instances as in what I quoted by Nilden. Destiny 2 also has open areas where people can all interact, so that then makes it an MMO. So both Destiny 2 and WoW have open areas where lots of people come together, and also both have co-op sized instances.
    Destiny 2 has an open, non-instanced world where you can see, group up, interact and adventure with 100's or 1000's of other players? News to me
    Forgrimm said:
    Nilden said:

Where is the logic?
    No. Just no. Again and again and again with your posts. Just no.
    Excession
    Forgrimm said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Nilden said:

Where is the logic?
    Destiny 2 has an open, non-instanced world where you can see, group up, interact and adventure with 100's or 1000's of other players? News to me
    What does the amount of people have anything to do with it? When I logged onto Istaria (the MMO with a dragon), at usual peak time on a weekend there was only around 20 people logged on. Does that make it not an MMO then since I can't interact with 100s or 1000s of players in istaria?

Same with Ryzom, though Ryzom is a bit more populated than Istaria is.
    Excession

Forgrimm said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Nilden said:

Where is the logic?
    What does the amount of people have anything to do with it? When I logged onto Istaria (the MMO with a dragon), at usual peak time on a weekend there was only around 20 people logged on. Does that make it not an MMO then since I can't interact with 100s or 1000s of players in istaria?

Yeah, what does the amount of people have to do with anything?

Guys?

Guys?!
    Forgrimm said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Nilden said:

Where is the logic?

It was a question. Does Destiny 2 have an open, non-instanced world where you can potentially see, group up, interact and adventure with 100's or 1000's of other players? 
    Forgrimm said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Nilden said:

Where is the logic?

It was a question. Does Destiny 2 have an open, non-instanced world where you can potentially see, group up, interact and adventure with 100's or 1000's of other players? 
    Not 1000s, no. But that then makes Istaria, Ryzom and many other tiny populated MMOs not MMOs either then if that is what you are implying. Also, who cares about the potential to play with 1000s when most MMOs (especially old ones like Istaria) will never see over 100 let alone even 50. They are still MMOs however despite having such few players, doesn't make them any less MMO.

I love the people that think an MMO is the number of "potential" players...like that is the most useless comment ever. Who cares if the servers can hold 1,000,000 players if there is only 20 people playing.

That is their usual fall back excuse is they then say "potential" when confronted with the new types of MMOs. Like the potential makes up for whatever. That is the only excuse they can come up with when people bring up that Destiny is an MMO and many other games fit the genre as well.

Istaria will never have the potential of hundreds of players, its too old and a dead MMO. Doesn't make it not an MMO though.
    ExcessionMrMelGibson