Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2018 Overall Production Roadmap (updated 19th January)

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Nice to know 3.0 will release with close to zero bugs.   B)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    You mean "zero" bugs?
    Kefo said:
    You mean "zero" bugs?
    Five does sound close to zero.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Kefo said:
    You mean "zero" bugs?
    Don't forget all the bugs they handwaved away when they reclassified them all
    SlyLoK
    Kefo said:
    Kefo said:
    You mean "zero" bugs?
    So what's the real number?  :-(

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2017
    That's the bugs remaining for the Evocati release.

This is just the bugs blocking the first testing phase, during the testing, there's much to fix, then to start the PTU and then to push the Live release.

And even after 3.0 is released we'll likely get 3.0.1, 3.0.2... There's never 0 bugs, there's just X number of bugs they consider must-fix before release.
    Excession
    Kefo said:
    Kefo said:
    You mean "zero" bugs?

No clue but on Sept 7 they had 76 bugs of which 10 were blockers, 50 were critical, 14 were high and 2 were moderate.

On Sept 15 they dropped to 26 bugs of which 11 were blockers, 10 were critical and 5 were high.

What happened to the moderate category and how did they reclassify bugs is what I'd like to know. Did they just shove a bunch of bugs Into the moderate category and then delete it off the chart or what?

SlyLoK
    Kefo said:
    What happened to the moderate category and how did they reclassify bugs is what I'd like to know. Did they just shove a bunch of bugs Into the moderate category and then delete it off the chart or what?
    Because none of the issues they selected had the Moderate category. The moderate category is back in yesterday's update with 1 issue on it.

How they did reclassify bugs is also explained in the update where the change happened.
    Excession
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    Because none of the issues they selected had the Moderate category. The moderate category is back in yesterday's update with 1 issue on it.

How they did reclassify bugs is also explained in the update where the change happened.

No they said they reclassified bugs in the post but I don't see any info on how they came to it. Are they overlooking critical bugs because they want to get it in testers hands?
    Kefo said:
    No they said they reclassified bugs in the post but I don't see any info on how they came to it. Are they overlooking critical bugs because they want to get it in testers hands?
    The actual burndown video shows their table meetings talking just about that.

They are getting the Evocati release sooner, the bugs are still there but they were just considered not critical to release to the first group (so those bugs safe to assume are now critical for PTU, will be worked on during Evocati).
    Excession
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited September 2017
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

Why would you care if they are "overlooking critical bugs" to release 3.0 to evocati or normal backers for that matter lol? You are neither how does that affect you in any way? Unless the release of 3.0 makes you restless in some way I don't see how does it matters in what form it's released.
    Excession
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    The actual burndown video shows their table meetings talking just about that.

They are getting the Evocati release sooner, the bugs are still there but they were just considered not critical to release to the first group (so those bugs safe to assume are now critical for PTU, will be worked on during Evocati).
    Ah never watched that video. Thanks for the info
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

Why would you care if they are "overlooking critical bugs" to release 3.0 to evocati or normal backers for that matter lol? You are neither how does that affect you in any way? Unless the release of 3.0 makes you restless in some way I don't see how does it matters in what form it's released.
    You only know how to insult don't you?
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

I'm not insulting you in any way. I'm asking a simple legitimate question. You don't play Star Citizen now or ever, you don't have access to Evocati. Why would you care about what or how many bugs go into each build? How does that affect you in any negative way lol?
    Excession
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

I'm not insulting you in any way. I'm asking a simple legitimate question. You don't play Star Citizen now or ever, you don't have access to Evocati. Why would you care about what or how many bugs go into each build? How does that affect you in any negative way lol?
    Why would I be getting restless unless you're implying something like you typically do?

id like to know where the bugs went since this project is the most open development project ever!
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

Why would I be getting restless unless you're implying something like you typically do?

id like to know where the bugs went since this project is the most open development project ever!
    Well you tell us lol. Since you don't play the game, any build that releases will go first to the evocati group first. Whatever bug that appears won't affect you in any way, so why would you care in the first place lol?

If you would like to know "where the bugs went" the Bugsmasher's Show might be a good place to start:

And it is because of it's open development nature that we are being reported on those bugs. Otherwise you would get nothing until release.

MadFrenchieExcession
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

How about watching a few dozen video episodes of "Bugsmasher" on the SC homepage ?

Have fun
    Excession
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

How about watching a few dozen video episodes of "Bugsmasher" on the SC homepage ?

Have fun
    The post they made isn't enough? Why do I need to goto several different sources to try and figure out where the 50 bugs disappeared to?
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

Have fun
    The post they made isn't enough? Why do I need to goto several different sources to try and figure out where the 50 bugs disappeared to?
    Because you asked for it. 

Have fun
  • AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    MaxBacon said:

Alumicard said:
    You forget that for the Javelin it is min. 23 crew and that there also is a hangar. So you have one ship per server, given that the Javelin is a destroyer class ship I assume you would want something to destroy. So add some more ships and double the crew size at least. If they manage to do server to server shots then great but so far we haven't seen that. Given that they can't drive a rover up a ramp (failing their demo mission in probably the best of the best built they have) call me sceptical.

And if they can handle 24 players currently then why did the game crash so often at the GC floor room? There were less than that, iirc half, per server.
    Is the 24 after the upgrade they plan for 3.1?
    Okay we take this by steps.

First, the focus of the limitation of players is on ships and not player characters, the ships are what costs most resources to the server so by what was said, set to cap the number of ships and not the number of player characters, tackling in crews without much of a fuss.

The GC demo restarted every 15 minutes so most of what of the times we saw them restarting was the planned reset of the server every time new visitors played in the booth. And the build was obviously early even if limited so we could notice the instability and breaking bugs as they played.

As for the 24 players, it still accounts for 24 in 3.0, the netcode is still on dev, from the schedule is put on Alpha 3.2 (the Object Container Streaming). The objective with it is having different servers processing different regions of space, until they achieve that the player pops are to remain low because it's still one single server handling the entire game space.
    First: So you are saying the max is ships? That is great to hear, given my Javelin might have 300+ people on board that won't be a problem for the server given they are all one. Granted no software engineer will agree but hey, I believe you. You can remove the movements of those people from the server load somehow.... Ehm... What if the ship gets attacked and there is a hull break? So all my 300 people on board even if they are in that section are safe right? I mean I wont kill my ship but might kill a few people but they are no part of the netcode so they are safe right?

2nd, "most of what of the times we saw them restarting was the planned reset of the server"
    great that we agree the GC demo had bugs and had to restart because otherwise it would even go more fubar than it did.

3rd: 24 players until 3.2: 3.0 is one year late, 3.1 is nowhere to be seen and according to the GC demo will include full foip and 2 player teams not seeing the same NPC/Quest Giver at a time, bummer. Guess if you have double the money of the most expansive game GTA5 you cant get NPC working. THose are hard....
    Excession
    Alumicard said:
    First: So you are saying the max is ships? That is great to hear, given my Javelin might have 300+ people on board that won't be a problem for the server given they are all one. Granted no software engineer will agree but hey, I believe you. You can remove the movements of those people from the server load somehow.... Ehm... What if the ship gets attacked and there is a hull break? So all my 300 people on board even if they are in that section are safe right? I mean I wont kill my ship but might kill a few people but they are no part of the netcode so they are safe right?

2nd, "most of what of the times we saw them restarting was the planned reset of the server"
    great that we agree the GC demo had bugs and had to restart because otherwise it would even go more fubar than it did.

3rd: 24 players until 3.2: 3.0 is one year late, 3.1 is nowhere to be seen and according to the GC demo will include full foip and 2 player teams not seeing the same NPC/Quest Giver at a time, bummer. Guess if you have double the money of the most expansive game GTA5 you cant get NPC working. THose are hard....
    1) Yes the intention on the caps is on proper vehicles, not players, even in the older design the instances were meant to calculate even the ships docked inside a capital to determine the spots it would take.

They will be part of the netcode, the matter here is that is much less costly for the game servers to handle player characters than ships, that's where the cap is meant to hit. Now for how many people are inside your ship I think they'll come up with something to prevent filling your ship of players at 0 cost, I heard discussions the life support modules would only generate enough to the ship crew+passagers capacity.

3) This number won't really face any proper improvement until we start seeing signs of the server mesh. Currently, it's one server handling the entire game space, with the server mesh that same space will be handled by many servers instead, this is stuff we'll see as it develops towards what is meant to be.
    Excession
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

Have fun
    The post they made isn't enough? Why do I need to goto several different sources to try and figure out where the 63 bugs disappeared to?
    FTFY

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

Have fun
    Because you asked for it. 

Have fun
    What?
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:

Have fun
    Are you serious? You literally just said you want to know what happens to those bugs and was told they have an entire series of videos dedicated to showing you this, you're even linked an episode and you say "Why do i need to". Really? You don't need to do anything, but if you really want that info, it's there. 

For people who label themselves "critics" you guys seem to be very unwilling to read up on the game you talk so passionately about.