Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Star Citizen deserve its hate?

Comments

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    edited September 2017
    If you can't logically follow the money it raises big time concerns. I hope SC is real and gets made properly, but I am skeptical.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    <snip> mass feature creep (like bathrooms where you have to worry about shitting...like wtf lol. I don't play MMOs for that.) <snip>

Is it hated by many or trolled by a few?

However as far as "using bathrooms" what was actually said (in summary) was: no degradation in game play but there would be degradation and a penalty (stamina penalty?) after a few / couple maybe) of weeks if people did not address stuff like washing etc.

So how might that be achieved?

Well if you step back there are an amazing number of games were e.g. you have to repair your gear. Were you have to visit a blacksmiths to hammer out the dents - WTF! And if you don't your gear fails. Geez if WoW or LotR or DAoC or ..... were to launch and I knew that I would have to fix the bridal of my horse I sure wouldn't be playing those games. No way. I don't play MMOs for that.

Oddly enough though ........

How it will pan out and and when it does I don't know. The key for me however is the "no impact on gameplay" statement.

And as such I doubt it will be any sort of a deal - let alone a big deal. Now do trolls shit silicon? 
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    gervaise1 said:
    Is it hated by many or trolled by a few?
    Trolled by a few absolutely, as explained.
    ErillionExcession
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:

My biggest issue with the game is the microtransactions for ships costing 54 dollars before the game is even finished. 

Fixed it for you.

Fixed it for you. The game costs around 50 bucks. At one time it was available for as low as 20 bucks. Everything else is VOLUNTARY!

Let me spell it out again to you once again for clarity:
    V.O.L.U.N.T.A.R.Y.
    You can support the development of the game with as much money as you want. Hundreds of dollars. Thousands. Millions. If you do, I thank you for helping to develop such a game.

Have fun
    Excession
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    kumoblade said:
    Unwarranted Self Importance. Illusions of Grandeur. Envy and Extreme Personal Insecurity.

He can't see or blame his own shortcomings, so he has to blame others....

Funny thing, that quote sounds just like a description of Chris Roberts.  Probably why the he and Smart go after one another so much.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Kefo said:
    kumoblade said: 

With that out of the way...

CIG is incorporating tech into Star Citizen that other gaming companies haven't even dreamed up or thought of.  

Innovation, R&D.  They take time and Money.  

What tech are they incorporating that no other gaming company hasn't dreamed or thought up yet?
    I am honestly wondering about that too. And I would like to ad that it has to be useful stuff, not just new for the sake of being new. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

You fail to mention that one will be able to get all these ships - that you claim do cost hundreds and thousands of dollars - in the game for in game money after the game has launched.

So in reality they DO NOT cost thousands of dollars. I will be able to get them for the price of the basic game. I fully intend to acquire these ships in game once the game has launched. 

Those people that support the game development by voluntarily obtaining such ships now before the launch - I thank them for their dedication and deep wallets ;-)

Have fun
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    You fail to mention that one will be able to get all these ships - that you claim do cost hundreds and thousands of dollars - in the game for in game money after the game has launched.

So in reality they DO NOT cost thousands of dollars. I will be able to get them for the price of the basic game. I fully intend to acquire these ships in game once the game has launched. 

Those people that support the game development by voluntarily obtaining such ships now before the launch - I thank them for their dedication and deep wallets ;-)

Have fun
    You're really trying hard today. Can you buy these ships right now for in game cash or are they still only available for real world cash up to thousands of dollars?

Ill save you the time in typing a reply and say no you can't buy them for in game cash yet so @DMKano is correct in what he said. There is no claiming they cost thousands.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Is it hard to write while you are choking? 
    Octagon7711Kefo
  • Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    I think hate is too strong a word and gets tossed around way too much.

What games need (not just Star Citizen) is a healthy dose of skepticism, which seems lately to be majorly lacking, it's getting ridiculous the sums of money people are splashing out for games that for all intents and purposes don't exist.

As for SC, the skepticism is I think justified, there's been way too much BS surrounding the project, with all the deadlines that have been missed (some have to have been just blatant lies) as stands with the 3.0 mess, it was first touted that it would be available December 2016 it's now September 2017 and going by the mess that was Gamescom is still no where near ready.

I honestly think the game would've been better off if they stuck to selling just £50 packages, it probably would've been done by now or at least the core would've been, instead they went with selling ships for vasts sums and ended getting too much money too fast which made the scope explode, and now they're struggling to catch up.
    Turrican187
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    In short, no. Maybe some heckling, but the constant drumming and people throwing fits is a bit much. it's not as bad anymore tbh, few years ago shit and piss was flying everywhere, but thing most understand whats happening now.

Imho the only reason some people are so hateful is that it isn't a common development and they keep treating it as such and just aren't used to it or they just are unable to accept the projects moving forward. People keep bringing up money, but forget this company has no previous titles or even a company before this, place on top that it's a crowded funded project and place on top of that the money they made was accumulated across the 5 years, not up front. There are so many circumstances that come into play, judging it like your average dev process would be ridiculous. 

I can see why some maybe suspicious as we've seen big names companies completely take advantage of their community, but I don't feel this is the case here. CR does spew out dates like a ass, but that in no way equates to a scam or trying anything, thing's could maybe handled way better, I don't know, not going to pretend i', some management guru or whatever. 

This is a big project, it may have been nice if they released what they first wanted, but the fan wished for it to continue, now that they're doing it it's kind of weird to kick up a fuss that it's taking "too long" (tbh it's people who have no interest kicking up the most fuss lol). Taking into account what I mentioned above I feel it's all bit overly dramatic hate tbh

As i said before, if we get into 6 going 7 years without some real head way, then maybe people should start raising eye brows.

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Just because people find something hilarious doesn't mean they feel hate toward it.
    Excession
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited September 2017
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:
    Still going at ships for money thing? It's been a thing since forever, if you don't like don't buy it. Stay away, no game has to be for everyone.

It's not like people were forced to put money upfront...

They do because they like the project. Haters or trolls will keep on being salty because that's the only thing they can afford to do lol

Life's a bitch for sad people who can't understand that life does not go around their wishes and wills. The sooner they refund the better. Star Citizen community is better off without frustrated and immature middle age underachievers anyway.
    Ho boy, as always, such an astute generalization, what with pegging every backer that's displeased as "middle age underachievers" and all.  Careful though, you might get mud on that shiny white armor.

Overarching point: if you're just going to fling insults at anyone who disagrees with you, you're better off just shutting the hell up.  You only encourage the whole cult mentality label most of the "haters" here attribute to folks who post in support of the project.
    You have the right to feel has you like but I reserve the right to acknowledge your "feelings" as I like.

The only cult I've seen is the cult of the trolling and hating. Every game has their audience, some people like Sport's games like FIFA/PES/UFC while others despise them, same with FPS you have people loving CS and hating BF, or loving COD and hating Overwatch.

No game is for everyone, so there's no problem if people don't fancy Star Citizen. Just go on with your life. The game will keep being developed just as fine without ya in case you haven't noticed, your negative feelings are as irrelevant as your opinion or past pledge.

Just let it go and go on with your life. Comments or no comments, nothing will change. Keep your frustrations for yourself as they are nothing more than food for amusement.
    You are right. You do however realise that your last two paragraphs could be applied to 'your' side as well? People can whine, people can praise, SC is doing what it does, for better or for worse. Both your and Madfrenchies posts are just as 'useless' as is mine. Opinions are a funny thing.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:
    Still going at ships for money thing? It's been a thing since forever, if you don't like don't buy it. Stay away, no game has to be for everyone.

It's not like people were forced to put money upfront...

They do because they like the project. Haters or trolls will keep on being salty because that's the only thing they can afford to do lol

Life's a bitch for sad people who can't understand that life does not go around their wishes and wills. The sooner they refund the better. Star Citizen community is better off without frustrated and immature middle age underachievers anyway.
    Ho boy, as always, such an astute generalization, what with pegging every backer that's displeased as "middle age underachievers" and all.  Careful though, you might get mud on that shiny white armor.

Overarching point: if you're just going to fling insults at anyone who disagrees with you, you're better off just shutting the hell up.  You only encourage the whole cult mentality label most of the "haters" here attribute to folks who post in support of the project.
    You have the right to feel has you like but I reserve the right to acknowledge your "feelings" as I like.

The only cult I've seen is the cult of the trolling and hating. Every game has their audience, some people like Sport's games like FIFA/PES/UFC while others despise them, same with FPS you have people loving CS and hating BF, or loving COD and hating Overwatch.

No game is for everyone, so there's no problem if people don't fancy Star Citizen. Just go on with your life. The game will keep being developed just as fine without ya in case you haven't noticed, your negative feelings are as irrelevant as your opinion or past pledge.

Just let it go and go on with your life. Comments or no comments, nothing will change. Keep your frustrations for yourself as they are nothing more than food for amusement.
    I largely don't comment on SC, as I don't have any interest in delving into the particulars of development.  What I don't do, specifically, is make sweeping generalizations labeling people immature, no-lifers, making condescending statements about the financial situations of ajyone who disagrees with my opinion about SC, and generally bait folks into more arguments.  You do.

I'm not a hater, as I don't have a vested interest either way.  I think @MaxBacon might agree that I'm a sound skeptic, but I don't devolve into calling names and baiting.  Again, you do.

So I say again: the best thing for you to do when you feel like posting vitriol is to just shut up.  Don't post it.  We all know you're just baiting.  We're not stupid.

• BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170
    DMKano said:
    Erillion said:
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:

My biggest issue with the game is the microtransactions for ships costing 54 dollars before the game is even finished. 

Fixed it for you.

Fixed it for you. The game costs around 50 bucks. At one time it was available for as low as 20 bucks. Everything else is VOLUNTARY!

V.O.L.U.N.T.A.R.Y.
    You can support the development of the game with as much money as you want. Hundreds of dollars. Thousands. Millions. If you do, I thank you for helping to develop such a game.

Have fun

Umm you didn't fix shit sorry, as you are not talking about the same issue at all.

The base game cost is completely unrelated to my comment, and to what was being originally claimed.

The original claim is that the game had ships costing 100s of dollars which is true.

But the game also has 3 ships that are over $1,000 - so to make a general statement of what exists as far prices go - it would be more accurate to say that the game has ships that cost 1000s of dollars - which again it does. Why omit the highest price options? 

The base price of the game is a completely separate issue. The fact that you don't have to buy these ships - a completely separate issue.

It's like someone telling you - there are cars that cost 1000s of dollars, you could tell them - you know what there are cars that cost 100s of thousands even millions of dollars - as yes that actually exists.

Telling that person that he could ride a bus or catch a taxi for $30 - completely unrelated (that was your attempt at "fixing")

That was my entire point - when describing the cost of something (in this case the specific thing I was addressing was the pricing of ships in the shop) - include the highest possibility.

Also a final note - none of my comments are related to what "OP" was talking about "SC deserving hate" - I am not even discussing that in any way shape or form - my comment was an isolated thing strictly focused on "when describing a price of items, mention the highest cost".

Just wanted to clear that up - my comment was 100% focused on that one thing, not the rest of this thread.

The highest cost of the game is $50, with that you've purchased everything required to play either SQ42 or SC. Now sure you could go and pay extra money to buy a ship or two, or you could fly around in the game for a bit and earn some REC to do it for free instead. Completely up to you. I have flown every ship currently in the game by using this method.

But hey, if you decide on whether or not to buy something based off the highest price for it, I can't stop you.
    ErillionExcession
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Balmong said:
    DMKano said:
    Erillion said:
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:

Fixed it for you.

V.O.L.U.N.T.A.R.Y.

Have fun

Umm you didn't fix shit sorry, as you are not talking about the same issue at all.

The base game cost is completely unrelated to my comment, and to what was being originally claimed.

The original claim is that the game had ships costing 100s of dollars which is true.

But the game also has 3 ships that are over $1,000 - so to make a general statement of what exists as far prices go - it would be more accurate to say that the game has ships that cost 1000s of dollars - which again it does. Why omit the highest price options? 

The base price of the game is a completely separate issue. The fact that you don't have to buy these ships - a completely separate issue.

It's like someone telling you - there are cars that cost 1000s of dollars, you could tell them - you know what there are cars that cost 100s of thousands even millions of dollars - as yes that actually exists.

Telling that person that he could ride a bus or catch a taxi for $30 - completely unrelated (that was your attempt at "fixing")

That was my entire point - when describing the cost of something (in this case the specific thing I was addressing was the pricing of ships in the shop) - include the highest possibility.

Also a final note - none of my comments are related to what "OP" was talking about "SC deserving hate" - I am not even discussing that in any way shape or form - my comment was an isolated thing strictly focused on "when describing a price of items, mention the highest cost".

Just wanted to clear that up - my comment was 100% focused on that one thing, not the rest of this thread.

The highest cost of the game is $50, with that you've purchased everything required to play either SQ42 or SC. Now sure you could go and pay extra money to buy a ship or two, or you could fly around in the game for a bit and earn some REC to do it for free instead. Completely up to you. I have flown every ship currently in the game by using this method.

But hey, if you decide on whether or not to buy something based off the highest price for it, I can't stop you.
    Again @DMKano was never talking about the base game price but about the cost of the ships. Why you and erillion keep bringing up the base game cost when it has nothing to do with what he said is beyond me except as a way to try and distract from the main point that there are micro transactions up to thousands of dollars for a game that hasn't been officially released yet
    Excession
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    To be honest I really don't give a crap about this game, I lost interest in it back in 2015, and if it does get released It wont be close to what they promised so kuddos to those who believe, I stay real.
    ScotchUp
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Erillion said:

That has yet to be seen.  You can not currently earn those ships in the game.  It might also take 10 years to earn enough in game to buy one of those 1000+ ships. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Talonsin said:
    Erillion said:

That has yet to be seen.  You can not currently earn those ships in the game.  It might also take 10 years to earn enough in game to buy one of those 1000+ ships. 
    Wait...I see that argument that you can get ships in-game after launch...

Then why does everyone complain about Black Desert Online's Cash Shop that you can buy everything in-game in the market?

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765

Then why does everyone complain about Black Desert Online's Cash Shop that you can buy everything in-game in the market?
    Not after launch alone, the current first implementations of ship earning are stated for 3.1

And your BDO example is not correct, only part of the cash shop could be purchased in the market.

A correct example would be GW2, with the currency you earn you can get to buy anything in the cash shop.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    MaxBacon said:

Not after launch alone, the current first implementations of ship earning are stated for 3.1

And your BDO example is not correct, only part of the cash shop could be purchased in the market.

A correct example would be GW2, with the currency you earn you can get to buy anything in the cash shop.
    yeah, that is a good example to. So one isn't paying for power, but for convenience. In GW2 you don't have to buy anything, can pay it all from in-game with game gold (though expansions you have to pay for). Same with BDO (some you can't buy though in-game you are right. But expansions are free so don't have to pay for those unlike GW2) and Star Citizen :) 

So paying for ships isn't pay to win in the typical sense, but for the convenience of not having to grind in-game to get them. Otherwise someone can earn money in-game and pay for them in the game itself.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

edited September 2017
    aliven said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Is it hard to write while you are choking? 
    Is it hard to write without .....

...... nevermind ....

Have fun
    Excession
    There is also the possibility to test ships in game during this Alpha using the REC simpod currency that you earn for playtesting. No more real world money required beyond a basic game package. 

It seems to me that some of the "hate" due to "ships costing hundreds or thousands of real world dollars" stems from a lack of knowledge about the SC Alpha, misinformation and/or an unwillingness to get information about participation in the playtesting. 

Have fun
    Excession
  • RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    hate ? well i spent £25 or £30 on it so atm i don't hate it, even if its vaporware i could not care less, the people that say they hate it either have spent to much cash on it or can't spend enough cash on it, greed or jealousy is why people hate on this game.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Erillion said:
    There is also the possibility to test ships in game during this Alpha using the REC simpod currency that you earn for playtesting. No more real world money required beyond a basic game package. 

It seems to me that some of the "hate" due to "ships costing hundreds or thousands of real world dollars" stems from a lack of knowledge about the SC Alpha, misinformation and/or an unwillingness to get information about participation in the playtesting. 

Have fun
    Am I assuming correctly when I say that REC isn't something that will be used to buy such ships at release?  I'm not interested in debating on it or anything, just straight curiosity.

This discussion has been closed.