Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As a huge Vanguard fan - I hope Pantheon fills that MMO void

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
edited September 2017 in Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
Vanguard still remains one of my favorite MMOs. A huge world, massive cities that were actually cities and not a tiny village with a few huts scattered and then called a city but are actually a tiny village. Each race had its own starting area. Large varieties of races. Some of the most in-depth classes of any fantasy MMO. 

Then one day...Vanguard was gone. No one gave it a try after launch and it died. It was never coming back.

But wait!

Pantheon!

I dunno much about Pantheon to be honest, except the Vanguard facebook group I'm in are all excited for it and we all hope that Pantheon fills the void that Vanguard did in the MMO genre.

I hope Pantheon ends up being just as good as Vanguard, with an amazing world and amazing classes. I'm very excited to see how Pantheon turns out :smiley:

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

delete5230JamesGoblinKilsinKiori001Gyva02deniterExcessiondcutbi001

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Is this like a facebook post of your feelings?  I just don't get the point of this thread.
    JamesGoblinScorchien
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2017
    Is this like a facebook post of your feelings?  I just don't get the point of this thread.
    What is the point of any thread or post? Its all useless crap that doesn't matter or make any difference to anything.

If you really want to get deep

Why play MMOs? One day that MMO will shut down and years of work and progress will be for nothing. It will just be one giant huge waste of time. Why even own anything at all? One day you'll die and you won't have any of that stuff anymore. Your computer? Will sit and gather dust somewhere or/and end up in a junk yard. Your house? When you die, you won't take it with you so why even have a house? What is the point in living when one day you'll die and everything you did, have, owned, all your friends, family...will mean nothing. 1000 and more years after anyone dies, except a lucky chosen few who make it into history books will all be forgotten. 

I just don't get a point of it all. Just like this quote says.
    MrMelGibsonExcession

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Dude!

are you ok? You seem all over the place today ...

So, since no one enjoyed Vanguard, nor even gave it a shot after launch...that is a HUGE sign this kind of MMO is not wanted, even by those on MMORPG.com asking for an oldschool experience.
    MrMelGibsonKyleranScorchienGyva02
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    What is the point of any thread or post? Its all useless crap that doesn't matter or make any difference to anything.

Why play MMOs? One day that MMO will shut down and years of work and progress will be for nothing. It will just be one giant huge waste of time. Why even own anything at all? One day you'll die and you won't have any of that stuff anymore. Your computer? Will sit and gather dust somewhere or/and end up in a junk yard. Your house? When you die, you won't take it with you so why even have a house? What is the point in living when one day you'll die and everything you did, have, owned, all your friends, family...will mean nothing. 1000 and more years after anyone dies, except a lucky chosen few who make it into history books will all be forgotten. 

WTF are you talking about lol.  Take your meds man.
    starstorm777

you said you don't get the point of the thread, so I answered back with what the point is with any post/thread on any forum or the point of anything at all
    Kiori001Excession

Sovrath said:
    Dude!

are you ok? You seem all over the place today ...

So, since no one enjoyed Vanguard, nor even gave it a shot after launch...that is a HUGE sign this kind of MMO is not wanted, even by those on MMORPG.com asking for an oldschool experience.
    At the end of that post, I also said

"Now you may think this is a negative thread. But in fact it isn't. Vanguard was by far my favorite MMO, and it was incredibly sad to see it die. However Pantheon can be successful if it thinks itself a very niche experience, since most obviously don't want an oldschool experience (which is sad). Pantheon is my most looked forward to MMO coming out, and if its anything like vanguard, it'll be amazing."

An MMO being a niche isn't a bad thing if its a successful niche. ELITE Dangerous is a niche MMO, and I love that as well and that is successful for what it is.
    Excession

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    How is it that pantheon is like or compared to Vanguard, this is the first time ive heard that? I was a big Vanguard fan and had hoped it would stay around but not.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I once had a dog. It died. I was sad.
    MendelKyleranMrMelGibsonBruceYeeExcession

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Something about Friday's trigger an uptick of threads like this, especially from certain members. 

Sometimes they are so similar as to seem to be the same poster.

Weird.
    MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Amathe said:
    I once had a dog. It died. I was sad.

Did you give it any water ?....... Dogs need water !
    [Deleted User]

you said you don't get the point of the thread, so I answered back with what the point is with any post/thread on any forum or the point of anything at all
    Most threads have points and create discussions.  This thread is just babble nonsense that you already said in a different thread that was almost the same.  
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
       I love Scrapple , cooked a bit crisp on toast with some ketchup...

I also liked Vanguard
    [Deleted User]
  • ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    I played Vanguard and, although it had tremendous potential, it didn't meet my expectations.  I'm willing to give Brad a second shot and I'm hoping Pantheon will be the game he intended Vanguard to be.

• Kiori001Kiori001 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Some threads can seem a bit random.  But really they are created by caring members of the community.  So that other members of the community with a bit of pent up emotion have something to complain about.

Well its a theory anyway.   Cheers to TheScavenger,  community minded member extraordinaire.
  • shassellshassell Member UncommonPosts: 105
    I really enjoyed Vanguard too. It was a crying shame it went the way it did. A combination of events led to its demise. Awesome world, inspired by some artist who has now died I believe, fantastic character classes. In some respects it was way ahead of its time. Just heard about Pantheon, have been away from gaming awhile, and there are a few of us oldies coming back together to play it on release. Online gaming has now grown so much that there will always be demand now for something a bit different. The click and win brigade have their own stuff. Looking forward to it.
    DullahanKiori001
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Vanguard IS my most favorite MMO.

I dont know if Pantheon can really replace it. It is much more EQ than VG. Especially with the rather limited number of abilities on the character. I loved how in VG I could play a character for years and still find new ways of playing it. If this "swap out abilities only out of combat" system will do something compareable, I kind of doubt it.

Although it will be nice to have a MMO without that many bugs, that one I'll have to admit.

Kilsin
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Vanguard IS my most favorite MMO.

I dont know if Pantheon can really replace it. It is much more EQ than VG. Especially with the rather limited number of abilities on the character. I loved how in VG I could play a character for years and still find new ways of playing it. If this "swap out abilities only out of combat" system will do something compareable, I kind of doubt it.

Although it will be nice to have a MMO without that many bugs, that one I'll have to admit.

If anything the swap out system promotes even more discovery. I don't know how other people played their classes, but on my disciple i had everything bound, and used it all. The only real discovery or evolution is when to use what and how fast you respond as circumstances change.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Well, I was a Cleric. You couldnt script much on Clerics.

Also later a Dread Knight, which admittedly was very different. I hardly had any button left on that character that wasnt some script.