Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ring of Scale Comes in as EQ's 24th Expansion - EverQuest - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageRing of Scale Comes in as EQ's 24th Expansion - EverQuest - MMORPG.com

EverQuest News - EverQuest is expanding for the -- get this -- twenty-fourth time with Ring of Scale. Players will return to Kunark and visit familiar places from the Empires of Kunark expansion that came out last year, though a host of new monsters will greet them. New gear, spells and AAs are included in the expansion content as well. The team has plans to reveal more about Ring of Scale in October and pre-orders will begin mid-month.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    edited September 2017
    I remember there being a bit of negative speculation on these forums regarding Daybreak's commitment to the franchise when it took over. Seems like they have earned some kudos.
  • shalhassanshalhassan Member UncommonPosts: 43
    edited September 2017

Finvega said:

I remember there being a bit of negative speculation on these forums regarding Daybreak's commitment to the franchise when it took over. Seems like they have earned some kudos.

Now I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the last few expansions haven't had a lot of content. This is especially in EQ2. I remember reading the full list of expansion features and feeling as though it really didn't match the asking price.
    Post edited by shalhassan on
    rammur65JeroKane

"A single battle you have won, but so quick to think that this will be the end? I, like fear, am eternal, and in your dreams, I shall forever haunt."

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    For games that are how old now.....who cares. Kudos for them for making it work for so long.
  • rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    pretty sure most content bein released by daybreak has been watered down and stretched pretty sure it was in the pipeline before soe let go.
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

skadad said:

They starting to sell spell-upgrades in the shop in eq1 aswell now?

There's not much Daybreak does not sell in the shop these days.
    JeroKane

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

Finvega said:

Now I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the last few expansions haven't had a lot of content. This is especially in EQ2. I remember reading the full list of expansion features and feeling as though it really didn't match the asking price.

You may be thinking of Daybreak's attempt to release paid for content at an accelerated rate, but being smaller and for a lower cost. I know I didn't favour it. I believe this has since been abandoned and they have returned to the traditional larger expansions for a greater cost.

Either way that such an old game is still being regularly expanded when so many newer games are either dead in the water, or just plain dead, shows a fair degree of commitment, by both Daybreak and the players of it.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    It's a clever strategy, you have to give Daybreak credit for that.

Take a game that is running mostly progression servers, and put out expansions for the 'live' game in the hopes that everyone playing on the progression servers will buy it so they can keep up.  Daybreak rakes in a nice influx of cash, maybe even gets a former player or two to return and re-up their Station Pass.

Only, the progression servers have pretty much pulled many, if not most, of the larger guilds apart.  So my question is, who is going to consume this content?  My guess is that each new expansion sees fewer and fewer people who complete a substantial percentage of that content.  When does it reach a point of no return?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• HomergdogHomergdog Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Daybreak has done a great job keeping EQ alive to be honest. I actually play Everquest still and it is still a fantastic game for being 18 years old. Daybreak took over around The Broken Mirror era.

The Broken Mirror was a rough expansion as there was a lot of transitioning going on from the CEO moving and a huge consolidation of staff. It wasn't a great expansion, but after bugs fixes it wasn't horrible either. I went back and played through it.

The last expansion was Empire of Kunark, and it was the best expansion they have released in quite some time. Lots of content, compelling and hard raid encounters, and overall a lot of fun.

On top of this, their team has been doing a lot of back end maintenance to the game, and the game itself has seen several Quality of Life improvements. Against all odds, I actually am liking the direction Daybreak has brought to Everquest.