Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - 7 Things to Do Before Path of Fire - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageGuild Wars 2 - 7 Things to Do Before Path of Fire - MMORPG.com

In a few short days, Path of Fire will be hitting the homes of players around the world, with new content, new builds and amazing new features. Before that day comes, players will be frantically making sure they have everything ready for a trip into the desert. This checklist will help you decide how to best use your last days of Heart of Thorns.

Read the full story here



¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


Comments

  • MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    The thing I want to do is map completion, but I can't because it makes no sense to me to do it without my mounts. So for now I log in, dodge and emote and then log out and go play sc2, hots, OW, DOS or something else waiting on my teleporting sand wolf.
    lockyto45


  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,356
    I only log in for the daily and making time gated ascended material.



    Too busy playing Divinity Original Sin 2 anyway.
    lockyto45
  • 10chai10chai Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Finish Legendary Items - Never start an Legendary b4 the exp...
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,862
    edited September 2017
    Good advice in that article. I myself will follow none of it and charge out there getting into all sorts of trouble and wishing I had listened. :-)
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on
    EvilGeeklockyto45

    "We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

  • IroncladIronclad Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Didn't realize many crafting mats would not go to storage. What a terrible design.
    ErithiaLionShardqu1cksilver
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,857

    Ironclad said:

    Didn't realize many crafting mats would not go to storage. What a terrible design.



    This has happened with certain new materials, but it almost always ends with said materials being added to material storage in the near future. The only big exception I can think of is a lot of the scribing unique materials. Scribing is a clusterfuck.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,356

    Ironclad said:

    Didn't realize many crafting mats would not go to storage. What a terrible design.



    That's so people actually put their mats on the TP instead of hording it, so price don't get super high despite there being a lots of it harvested. I'm not sure if it's going to work that much.

  • LionShardLionShard Member UncommonPosts: 30

    azarhal said:



    Ironclad said:


    Didn't realize many crafting mats would not go to storage. What a terrible design.






    That's so people actually put their mats on the TP instead of hording it, so price don't get super high despite there being a lots of it harvested. I'm not sure if it's going to work that much.






    In reality though it's just made to sell you more storage, bank and inventory space.
    First they inject inconvenience into the game and then charge you to get rid of it.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,857
    LionShard said:

    azarhal said:



    Ironclad said:


    Didn't realize many crafting mats would not go to storage. What a terrible design.






    That's so people actually put their mats on the TP instead of hording it, so price don't get super high despite there being a lots of it harvested. I'm not sure if it's going to work that much.






    In reality though it's just made to sell you more storage, bank and inventory space.
    First they inject inconvenience into the game and then charge you to get rid of it.
    I cannot for the life of me think of a single MMO with better inventory/bank design than Guild Wars 2. The material storage and crafting station banks alone make it one of the most convenient setups by far.
    Octagon7711Nepheth
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,862
    I was amazed at the amount of crafting space they give you.  Even when starting you could find bags as drops, plus auction house prices are decent.

    "We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

  • saintriku92saintriku92 Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I play this game alot, And if you think this game doesnt try to get you spend tons of cash or time farming gold for space your higher then me.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Holy shit. I bought PoF, and for some reason, I had thought it wasn't coming out until the end of October, and had to look it up to see if your "few short days" was a typo or something. lol

    Good. I was kinda looking for something new to do, so no I'll have this to play in a couple days then.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    edited September 2017
    I was amazed at the amount of crafting space they give you.  Even when starting you could find bags as drops, plus auction house prices are decent.

    To be honest, I don't think I've ever experienced a more reasonable auction house economy in an MMORPG before.  You can get quality enough gear aford able enough to ensure your very first character is well-equipped.  Obviously the prices balloon a bit at 80 and for exotics, but Rares are always quite affordable and Exotics only come into play at 80 when you start the gear and mastery progression gameplay.

    image
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,021
    I'm not sure why.  But I'm not interested in this expansion at all.  Maybe later down the road I will give it another look.
  • majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 417
    I can't play atm. I am looking forward to playing my Deadeye in the new content so much that I feel sad when i try playing now without!



  • LionShardLionShard Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited September 2017

    Aeander said:


    LionShard said:



    azarhal said:





    Ironclad said:



    Didn't realize many crafting mats would not go to storage. What a terrible design.









    That's so people actually put their mats on the TP instead of hording it, so price don't get super high despite there being a lots of it harvested. I'm not sure if it's going to work that much.











    In reality though it's just made to sell you more storage, bank and inventory space.

    First they inject inconvenience into the game and then charge you to get rid of it.



    I cannot for the life of me think of a single MMO with better inventory/bank design than Guild Wars 2. The material storage and crafting station banks alone make it one of the most convenient setups by far.



    It's only convenient if you pay, otherwise your inventory is a complete crapfest and without buying gems for even a single bag slot you were already feeling like you're playing some korean F2P game way before it actually went F2P.

    That's not to bash the other parts of the game like the gameplay and such, but the default inventory and bank space is obviously made on purpose to milk every player. You have way too little space, have to buy bags for the bag slots and constantly get utter trash from every single mob, clogging up your inventory space with "loot" which you also have to break down manually, making you feel like you're literally compacting trash as you're filled up with either literal trash items or useless runes that you get from breaking down tons of greens and blues. And that's not even going into mining tools being consumables to promote you buying infinite ones...with real money.

    Case and point - The system at the core in GW2 is designed to be as money-grabbing as possible and the only way to alleviate that is put your hard earned cash out, as with current gold to gem ratio you will need all the gold in the world to fix those problems...and even that will be for a single character, because regular bag slots are character-exclusive and the constant need to trade infinite mining tools between your characters does not help either.

    I like the game, but boy is it apparent what the devs were focused on when they made that "system". There's literally no way of defending that behavior.
  • zanzarothzanzaroth Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited September 2017
    i hate things that cant be done later because a map gets empty. stupid content.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    LionShard said:


    It's only convenient if you pay, otherwise your inventory is a complete crapfest and without buying gems for even a single bag slot you were already feeling like you're playing some korean F2P game way before it actually went F2P.

    That's not to bash the other parts of the game like the gameplay and such, but the default inventory and bank space is obviously made on purpose to milk every player. You have way too little space, have to buy bags for the bag slots and constantly get utter trash from every single mob, clogging up your inventory space with "loot" which you also have to break down manually, making you feel like you're literally compacting trash as you're filled up with either literal trash items or useless runes that you get from breaking down tons of greens and blues. And that's not even going into mining tools being consumables to promote you buying infinite ones...with real money.

    Case and point - The system at the core in GW2 is designed to be as money-grabbing as possible and the only way to alleviate that is put your hard earned cash out, as with current gold to gem ratio you will need all the gold in the world to fix those problems...and even that will be for a single character, because regular bag slots are character-exclusive and the constant need to trade infinite mining tools between your characters does not help either.

    I like the game, but boy is it apparent what the devs were focused on when they made that "system". There's literally no way of defending that behavior.
    Y
    You do know that you can left click on a salvage kit and select "salvage all mastercraft and lower" and "all rares", right? That and "send to the storage" button for crafting mats helps a lot.

    As for the infinite mining tool I at least got a shared slot for free from HoT (but I admit that I bought a silver fed salvage kit I have there so I never have to bother with making "mystic salvage kits for all my chars and I use that slot for it) so swaping is while annoying not that hard.  Of course you might not have gotten that slot for free and need to buy it or os grind gold for it.

    But I don't really have bothered getting extra bags for my alts, with 18 and 20 bags it doesn't fell that hard. My main I exchanged gold to gems the first 3 weeks when the price was low and got all slots filled up fast as well as another bankspace.

    Besides that I buy some gems every time I played for 3 or so months and had a good time to sponsor the game, 20 Euro or so seems reasonable to me but I mainly use those gems for additional char slots and to upgrade my mat storage.

    I don't think GW2 is more money grabbing then anything else, heck, certain games still have a monthly fee and yet want cash for server transfers and sells cometic stuff. Not to mention that they sell both the base game and new expansions as well.

    There are certainly cheaper MMOs you can play, but there are far more that is pricier. 

    And if you have a huge problem with carrying stuff you probably need to manage your inventory better. Still, I wish there was an option I could cross in that made me skip those green insignias and runes while salvaging, they take a lot of space and are a bit time consuming to trash when looting chest like in Auric Basin after a completed cycle.
    MrMelGibsonNephethEvilGeek
  • LionShardLionShard Member UncommonPosts: 30

    Loke666 said:


    LionShard said:




    It's only convenient if you pay, otherwise your inventory is a complete crapfest and without buying gems for even a single bag slot you were already feeling like you're playing some korean F2P game way before it actually went F2P.



    That's not to bash the other parts of the game like the gameplay and such, but the default inventory and bank space is obviously made on purpose to milk every player. You have way too little space, have to buy bags for the bag slots and constantly get utter trash from every single mob, clogging up your inventory space with "loot" which you also have to break down manually, making you feel like you're literally compacting trash as you're filled up with either literal trash items or useless runes that you get from breaking down tons of greens and blues. And that's not even going into mining tools being consumables to promote you buying infinite ones...with real money.



    Case and point - The system at the core in GW2 is designed to be as money-grabbing as possible and the only way to alleviate that is put your hard earned cash out, as with current gold to gem ratio you will need all the gold in the world to fix those problems...and even that will be for a single character, because regular bag slots are character-exclusive and the constant need to trade infinite mining tools between your characters does not help either.



    I like the game, but boy is it apparent what the devs were focused on when they made that "system". There's literally no way of defending that behavior.


    Y
    You do know that you can left click on a salvage kit and select "salvage all mastercraft and lower" and "all rares", right? That and "send to the storage" button for crafting mats helps a lot.

    As for the infinite mining tool I at least got a shared slot for free from HoT (but I admit that I bought a silver fed salvage kit I have there so I never have to bother with making "mystic salvage kits for all my chars and I use that slot for it) so swaping is while annoying not that hard.  Of course you might not have gotten that slot for free and need to buy it or os grind gold for it.

    But I don't really have bothered getting extra bags for my alts, with 18 and 20 bags it doesn't fell that hard. My main I exchanged gold to gems the first 3 weeks when the price was low and got all slots filled up fast as well as another bankspace.

    Besides that I buy some gems every time I played for 3 or so months and had a good time to sponsor the game, 20 Euro or so seems reasonable to me but I mainly use those gems for additional char slots and to upgrade my mat storage.

    I don't think GW2 is more money grabbing then anything else, heck, certain games still have a monthly fee and yet want cash for server transfers and sells cometic stuff. Not to mention that they sell both the base game and new expansions as well.

    There are certainly cheaper MMOs you can play, but there are far more that is pricier. 

    And if you have a huge problem with carrying stuff you probably need to manage your inventory better. Still, I wish there was an option I could cross in that made me skip those green insignias and runes while salvaging, they take a lot of space and are a bit time consuming to trash when looting chest like in Auric Basin after a completed cycle.




    Happy to hear that you managed to get on the game cheap, BUT, as a person who bought both the base game and the expansion at full price during release, I don't expect games to inconvenience me at every turn in order to get money out of me.

    At any high tier content your inventory fills up in seconds with trash that you later have to break down into other trash, with storage for the material cappin in seconds.

    You've admitted yourself that you invested into Silver-Fed Salvage-o-Matic yourself because of how annoying it is to keep buying salvage kits or making mystic ones, so you're literally giving a prime example of why this system is wrong.

    You also get runes and insignias which you have to get rid of at a constant basis, luck essences and just some actual trash, only real meaning to which is to clog up your inventory space even faster.

    So in other words: they literally injected sickness into the game only to provide you the cure at a pay, which is overall scummy as hell.

    And I am NOT talking about server transfers or any of that stuff, as it is an actual service that they provide.

    It's fine if you like doing a work of a garbage disposal and sit in your inventory for hours, but I can assure you that it is not in fact an actual game mechanic. I for one despise sitting and managing inventory longer than actually playing the bloody game.

    There's literally no point of defending this sort of crap. And please for the love of god don't give me "It does not bother me personally so it must be okay. You being able to "deal with it" does NOT make these business practices okay, just shows how low the standards for the players are these days.

    I am completely okay with rewarding devs for work they do and amazing games they make, but in this case game is trying to FORCE you to pay up for being inconvenient, which is irredeemable on any moral level.

  • LionShardLionShard Member UncommonPosts: 30
    The moment you say "they're scummy, but not as scummy as others" you just have to stop and look at yourself and look at what sort of practices you're allowing by having such train of thought.
  • algueralguer Member UncommonPosts: 12
    For a player that didn’t got HoT, do you recommend a return for this exp? Only have one toon at lvl60 :S
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,862
    alguer said:
    For a player that didn’t got HoT, do you recommend a return for this exp? Only have one toon at lvl60 :S
    I think they said it's designed to be played without having played HoT.  The glider sometimes comes in handy but you can get around without it as the new content is based on leveling mounts.

    "We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

  • KonanKonan Member UncommonPosts: 15
    why cant we play game without the char on screen like wow and eq2
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 2,532
    What if you just started the old stuff now? 

    This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,857
    Akulas said:
    What if you just started the old stuff now? 
    Then you'll generally be just fine. I could see some potential problems with Heart of Thorns map populations (at least temporarily) but you should be able to achieve any goal you set your sights on.
    Akulas
Sign In or Register to comment.