Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Richard Garriott: Classy move or new level of creepy?

I'll let you be the judge.  "To mark the recent passing of Richard Garriott’s mother, the team created an in-game Exodus portrait that players can purchase for $15. Some of the proceeds will go to a children’s museum that she supported in her life."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      http://massivelyop.com/2017/09/18/shroud-of-the-avatar-stuffs-in-more-dragons-preps-for-halloween/#comments

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    At the risk of sounding callous, with the current financial situation of the project and its dim outlook as far as hands-on previews/reviews, I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that SotA saw an opportunity in a tragic situation.  What judgement you make of that may largely depend upon how you view the underlying situation itself.
    LucienReneHatefullwingood

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Wow , the guy is actually trying to profit off of his mother's death. That is some next level degeneracy right there. What a piece of utter garbage.

FrodoFraginsTalonsinBruceYeeLeFantome

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Wow , the guy is actually trying to profit off of his mother's death. That is some next level degeneracy right there. What a piece of utter garbage.

yeah, I mean if it was 100% of the funds to donation...I wouldn't care and think this thread was BS.

But since its only "some"...wow what a lowlife scum. How much of a pathetic human do you have to be to see profit in having a parent die?
    pantaroHatefull

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    It's the fact that they're profiting off of this shit at all that I find creepy.  Would it have killed them to donate 100%?  "*Portalarium will donate 50% of the net purchase price of this item to the designated charity on a bi-annual basis. Net purchase price is determined by subtracting any transaction service fees and/or platform service fees from the full purchase price paid by the customer."
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    It's the fact that they're profiting off of this shit at all that I find creepy.  Would it have killed them to donate 100%? 
    In the case of Portalarium, it just might.
    LackingMMOcheyanebartoni33Scotty787

It's the fact that they're profiting off of this shit at all that I find creepy.  Would it have killed them to donate 100%? 
    In the case of Portalarium, it just might.

Brutal.
    MadFrenchie
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2017
    Guess they saw what Shadow of War was originally trying to do and since they dont have as big of a following, I imagine they aren't expecting as big of a backlash that will make them donate most of the money. This leaves as bad of a taste in my mouth ever since I heard of Christian mingle for the first time. "Find God's match for you!" (If you pay us!)
    MrMelGibson
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I guess the inheritance wasn't enough. 
    MadFrenchie
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2017
    Makes me think he probably screwed over NCsoft with Tabula Rasa, and was able to get away with it and win in court. If he is so greedy and such a lowlife human to take advantage of his mother passing away, what would he do to a company he is (or was in this case) working for?

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• LuposDavalteLuposDavalte Member UncommonPosts: 91
    As a long time groupy of Lord British, I find this reprehensible.  The man is a degenerate and is too busy getting high off his own farts.
    pantaro[Deleted User]
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    So how many of the 8 virtues does this break?
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Cash shop cancer is so bad now that they can't just put some digital memorial in a game they have to charge for it.

Warner Bros and Portalarium should both be ashamed.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

I know lots of people hate Blizzard, but they do this kind of thing right.  Remember the Shrine of the Fallen Warrior?  And their cash shop charity item sales go 100% to the charities, if I'm not mistaken.
    MadFrenchiePhry[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Yeah just looked this shit up. 50% huh? and the rest goes to the company? This is some serious low-rent. Oh how the mighty have fallen....
    FrodoFragins
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I would say LB's actions are more greed and selfishness than creepy. He puts his own wealth before his mother's name -- and he wants to further corrupt things by idolizing her death in his piss poor scam of an mmo.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    You know that old saying "he'd even sell his own mother if he could".....
    KyleranAzaron_Nightblade[Deleted User]kitaradHatefullScotty787ShaighMrMelGibson
    Chamber of Chains
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    It's sad and pathetic.  He should be ashamed.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Just wait until he sells his mother's blood in a vial.
    BruceYee

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    like others have said middle earth:shadow of war and WB was immediately the first thing that came to mind. it says alot about him as a person that he would be willing to do this so fast considering all the negative attention WB has gotten over doing what they did or claim to do.

Personally i find this to be even lower than what WB is doing.at the end of the day it's all in bad taste. some things are just way more important than making a buck.
    [Deleted User]
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Garriott is so far out of the loop on this project he probably didn't have a say in this happening.  It was probably all Darkstarr's doing.  He's the one that behaves and speaks like the CEO, not Richard.
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    edited September 2017
    I don't understand how anyone can sink this low? 

They managed to make her tragic death being connected to money greed.

Make money out of a dead parent is for me a new low.

I don't want my death to be discussed on the internet cause my son decided it could be profitable.

That is not how you cheerish the memory of a beloved parent.

It is just sick.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=51225&open=exodus_by_helen_garriott__digital_
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    DMKano said:
    Did anyone actually read this:

"Portalarium will donate 50% of the net purchase price of this item to the designated charity on a bi-annual basis"

So why not donate all the money to charity?
  • GrintchGrintch Member UncommonPosts: 132
    DMKano said:

"Portalarium will donate 50% of the net purchase price of this item to the designated charity on a bi-annual basis"

Yes, they did. What's your point? It should have been 100%.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    DMKano said:

So he's just making 50% profit from his dead mother. Alright, that's 50% less greedy and pathetic. But still greedy and pathetic. 
    bartoni33
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    He's keeping 50% of the net profit.  And it's a digital asset that they either got for free from Unity or something they created in house - either way, they're able to charge recurring fees for its production costs and inflate to whatever they want.  They're selling the digital asset for 15$ - so whatever they say it costs them to create is what they keep immediately... then, whatever is leftover they keep half of that immediately.  And that remaining 50% of *net profits* remains a vehicle for creating new revenue until they hand nit over and get the tax write-off.

bartoni33Talonsin