Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Divinity Original Sin 2 - RIP #1 - It's Hard to Tear Yourself Away - MMORPG.com

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I am so very happy reading this. I absolutely loved the first game with all its flaws. The cheese seller and that guy who tries to trick you into having sex with him, their voices still occasionally still run through my head. My son who did not play the game was singing one of the vendor chants without realising it. 

If you cannot get into the turn based combat or the way the game plays and looks I must say you're missing something really good and that's a pity. 

Will be playing this as soon as I finish with my current stuff or else they will all be shoved aside in favour of this gorgeous game. 

kitaradMrMelGibson
    Chamber of Chains
  • docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    So, I never finished the first game - I would guess I am at 25-30%.... Time and other games... Story aside, should I just forget about 1 and jump right into the second one instead? I am fairly certain I won't do both...

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    azarhal said:
    Iselin said:
    It's been a while since I played the first but I remember the game being much easier if all your characters could summon a minion of some sort. Is that still the case with this one?
    The easiest way to cheese DOS and DOS2 is actually barrelmancy.
    That's funny as hell.
    MrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gorwe said:

I wanna get into it, but I gotta known: are elemental status effects as huge a deal in the sequel as in the original?

Just look at the screenshots. Elemental diarrhea is all over them. So, yes, it is every bit as reliant on those as 1, if not more.

My question is, "Is it more serious?". Because helping Arhu get a date with a cat(s), the guy with many cheeses, Zixx Zaxx.../facepalm

I fucking hate such environs. Give me something somber like Warhammer, Witcher or Shadowrun any day in week over that silly crap.
    Wrong developer to follow then. I'm glad with them, there's enough angsty teen, emo stuff out there. Then again, these guys doing Warhammer? Yes please!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I liked D:OS but havn't gotten 2 yet. I mostly enjoyed the combat in the first one but the balancing of some of the encounters was sort of questionable. Overall though the combat mechanics remind me a lot of Troika's The Temple of Elemental Evil which is a good thing. I would love to see a remake of ToEEE with Larian's game engine though. That said, D:OS2 is definitely on my wishlist. I just need to find the time to squeeze it in.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Myrdynn said:
    they have a deal for 89 I am interested in, comes with everything they made, I have never played anything from them, worth it?
    Biased answer: hell yes. Saying that, Larian first 3 games were not turn-based party based games. Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity are real-time isometric games (no party). Divinity 2 is a 3rd person action game. Divinity Original Sin was their first turn-based and party based game. The things they have in commons: somewhat open world gameplay, in the sense that the game lack hand holding and you are left with solving things how you want it and maps are pretty large. How much depends on the game though and some comes off as more linear than others. Also, they tend to have weak 3rd act (except Divinity 2 and I can't say yet for DOS2) and Larian's humor is an acquired taste: despite having dark stories, ridiculous stuff abound in them. DOS2 is very toned down in comparison. DOS2 has their best writing to date too.
    edited September 2017
    Myrdynn said:
    they have a deal for 89 I am interested in, comes with everything they made, I have never played anything from them, worth it?
    Biased answer: hell yes. Saying that, Larian first 3 games were not turn-based party based games. Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity are real-time isometric games (no party). Divinity 2 is a 3rd person action game. Divinity Original Sin was their first turn-based and party based game.

The things they have in commons: somewhat open world gameplay, in the sense that the game lack hand holding and you are left with solving things how you want it and maps are pretty large. How much depends on the game though and some comes off as more linear than others.

Also, they tend to have weak 3rd act (except Divinity 2 and I can't say yet for DOS2) and Larian's humor is an acquired taste: despite having dark stories, ridiculous stuff abound in them. DOS2 is very toned down in comparison. DOS2 has their best writing to date too.
  • subxaerosubxaero Member UncommonPosts: 94
    European game developers have been killing it the last 3-4 years
    [Deleted User]Alomar
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Can describe this game in one word: Evil

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I have been waiting for this game since the first one was very good.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited September 2017
    Pesky said:
    How do you folks deal with the dreadful turn based combat?

I tried and tried to like the first game. But the combat is just so horrible, that I just couldn't play it.

Is the combat in this game as god-awful as the first game?
    I think you have to think of turn based combat less like "action - it's all happening now!" combat and more like a game.

So, more like checkers/chess/whatever where you plan your moves, they do their moves, etc.

I mean, if you've ever played X-COM or something similar then it's transferable to a certain extent.

MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Does DoS2 have a better pacing than DoS1 ? What I mean is, in part one you came into the first town at start and you had lots and lots of conversations and running around there. It was actually a little too much for my liking and became boring.

I like having stories and convos but I definately need some fights and dungeon crawls in between. ;)
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    QSatu said:
    Amazing game. The best rpg in years imo. I'm already hoping there will be an expansion.
    The Witcher 3 would like to argue that second sentence. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Avanah said:
    QSatu said:
    Amazing game. The best rpg in years imo. I'm already hoping there will be an expansion.
    Though if you think of it, a lot of people didn't like Witcher 3 as they felt that they were playing "someone else's character" or basically not something of their own making.

Some people don't like that.
    ConstantineMerusMrMelGibson

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Anthur said:
    Does DoS2 have a better pacing than DoS1 ? What I mean is, in part one you came into the first town at start and you had lots and lots of conversations and running around there. It was actually a little too much for my liking and became boring.

I like having stories and convos but I definately need some fights and dungeon crawls in between. ;)
    You definitely get into action pretty early on.  The pacing between the intro and starting area is a lot better imo.  Combat is also a lot better so there's that as well.
    Anthur
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    I remember being excited for the first game, and then just couldn't get into it. Maybe it was playing 2 main characters. Maybe it was the story dragging at the beginning of the game, or perhaps I was just preoccupied with some other game at the time. I quickly left it to rot in the depths of my Steam library all but forgotten.

Fast forward to Divinity 2, and despite my dislike of the first, I snagged it during the last 2 weeks of early access (something I swore I wouldn't do anymore). Wow, what a game. I must have played through Act 1 three times that first week. The story is head and shoulders above the first right from the beginning. A single primary character was a welcome change, and you can even bring along the others for their unique takes on the happenings as well. Or not. You can kill them off and go it alone if you like, or make your own custom character.

I liked it so much that I went back and played the first game and was able to enjoy it this time. The second is stand alone, and not a true sequel, but having played the first does give some cool insight into the world. So far, I'm about half way through Act 2, I think, at level 15. Made a Dwarf Slayer in honor of Warhammer for this playthrough, and I can't wait to try out more combos on the next. Here's hoping I can get my friends to play so we can go at it together.
    MrMelGibson

edited September 2017

Avanah said:

QSatu said:

In term of RPGness, DOS2 is miles ahead of The Witcher 3. You can be practically role-play anyone you want (and live with the consequences).
    [Deleted User]kitaradpantaroMrMelGibsonConstantineMerus
    I picked it up a couple of days ago and it has eaten my life. To me it feels a lot like DOS 1 except better in every conceivable way: better story, better pacing, better combat. I'm loving it.

Having said that, with respect to elemental status effects, don't kid yourselves, it is even more prominent here than in the original... with one BIG difference: every piece of armor you find other than the most basic trash stuff gives you elemental protection armor that you have to get through before the elemental effects start hurting you.

Characters all have 3 little bars on their portrait, physical armor, elemental armor and HP. As long as you have elemental armor you can walk through fire, poison, etc. without taking damage. Additionally there are abilities that buff/restore that elemental armor.

The status effects and their counters (water puts out fire, fire clears poison, etc.) and combos (fire ignites oil, electricity on water, etc.) are still there but the affect they have on game play is lessened by the armor.

MadFrenchieMrMelGibsonwanderica[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    I picked it up a couple of days ago and it has eaten my life.

oh crap, that's a pretty good endorsement. sigh. Ok fine will buy it tonight.

But you people are the reason I don't get 8 hours of sleep.
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    I picked it up a couple of days ago and it has eaten my life.

oh crap, that's a pretty good endorsement. sigh. Ok fine will buy it tonight.

But you people are the reason I don't get 8 hours of sleep.
    Yea, even if the status effects are still widely used, the addition of magic armor and counters/restoration of that armor makes it seemingly workable.

And hell, if that doesn't work, maybe I'll look to edit some game files to reduce the effectiveness ever so slightly myself. :P I'm generally a fan of the tough brute guys in my RPGs, not the skinny/withered old, but poweful, Mage. :wink:
    MrMelGibson

edited September 2017
    So I caved and bought it...  And holy funk, it's already got me hook, line, and sinker.  Playing a Necro Fighter (Bathe in the blood of my enemies for health!), pacing is a lot better than the first.

The magic armor system is a great solution to the issue I had with heavy status effect usage; no longer do I enter combat only to have two archers immediately set half my party ablaze.

The tag system creates a huge amount of replayability in quest lines.  The story seems a little darker up front than Original Sin did, which I'm enjoying.

Using one main character also feels much more natural yo me than having two.

All in all, it's almost as if Larian interviewed me directly about what kept me from completing the first entry, and improved all those areas for the sequel.  Excellent!
    maskedweasel[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonIselinwanderica

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Gorwe said:
    cheyane said:
    I am so very happy reading this. I absolutely loved the first game with all its flaws. The cheese seller and that guy who tries to trick you into having sex with him, their voices still occasionally still run through my head. My son who did not play the game was singing one of the vendor chants without realising it. 

If you cannot get into the turn based combat or the way the game plays and looks I must say you're missing something really good and that's a pity. 

Will be playing this as soon as I finish with my current stuff or else they will all be shoved aside in favour of this gorgeous game. 

The first one played like a crap if you didn't do what they wanted you to do(use elemental crap 24 / 7 / 365). It also looked like crap and had a crappy cartoon like story with one of most irritating cast ever. Idk, maybe manga guys can bear it. Me? Fuck off. Ugh, what a dreadful game!
    Nah, the turn based combat was good.  Some people just don't like it, or want easy mode.  D:OS2 actually has easy mode. Games like this are more tactical in nature instead of run and gun. D: OS2 also has a lot of really great storylines to follow, and it's well voiced, well acted, and very well put together.

Also magic isn't that overpowered here. They have some really cool new abilities for warfare and scoundrels, and the polymorph isn't a magic based class and is really exceptional at crowd control as well as ranged and melee.  In fact on the hardest difficulty which I'm playing, I went with more of a battlemage type, simply because warfare is so much stronger than it was before.

Temp0[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

Gorwe said:
    cheyane said:

The first one played like a crap if you didn't do what they wanted you to do(use elemental crap 24 / 7 / 365). It also looked like crap and had a crappy cartoon like story with one of most irritating cast ever. Idk, maybe manga guys can bear it. Me? Fuck off. Ugh, what a dreadful game!
    Also magic isn't that overpowered here. They have some really cool new abilities for warfare and scoundrels, and the polymorph isn't a magic based class and is really exceptional at crowd control as well as ranged and melee.

The battle stomp clearing all non-cursed status clouds is an excellent addition for my fighter.  It's not OP in the size of the area cleared, forcing you to bunch your party into a small lane if used in combat (opening them to AoE counter-attacks), but it's eternally useful for the classes that have very little to no ranged attacks.

I strongly disliked Original Sin's system because the status effects were so prevalent as to be annoying.  It also pretty much governed the rest of combat, instead of enhancing the rest of the combat.  That issue has been corrected through the use of magic armor imo.
    maskedweaselMrMelGibson

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Gorwe said:
    cheyane said:

Also magic isn't that overpowered here. They have some really cool new abilities for warfare and scoundrels, and the polymorph isn't a magic based class and is really exceptional at crowd control as well as ranged and melee.

The battle stomp clearing all non-cursed status clouds is an excellent addition for my fighter.  It's not OP in the size of the area cleared, forcing you to bunch your party into a small lane if used in combat (opening them to AoE counter-attacks), but it's eternally useful for the classes that have very little to no ranged attacks.

I strongly disliked Original Sin's system because the status effects were so prevalent as to be annoying.  It also pretty much governed the rest of combat, instead of enhancing the rest of the combat.  That issue has been corrected through the use of magic armor imo.
    Yeah that's one thing I forgot to mention before, magic armor plays a big part here as well as abilities that replenish armor or boost it.  On the higher difficulties, these are a must, even the first part when you're on the ship can be extremely tough if you don't plan accordingly. 
    MrMelGibsonMadFrenchie

Gorwe said:
    cheyane said:

Two other changes that I'm also loving is that movement takes fewer AP than the original, which come in handy especially with the other change... 3D fights. There are a lot of fights where you need to get at enemies on towers, battlements or just plain higher ground. I love the teleport spell in fights like that where I can take one of those pesky snipers and slam him down on the ground right in the middle of my party.
    MadFrenchiemaskedweasel

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED