Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Star Citizen deserve its hate?

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Have fun ...  in other games
    kikoodutroa8
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    The part that burns my britches is that the original concept was to get the core game out and then add other features in as updates but that has not happened.  We still dont have a core game, only a test server with around 15 missions.  Why are they working on new ships and planetary vehicles when we dont even have a populated planet to explore with them yet?  Why create mining ships when there is nothing to mine in the game?

To be fair, I have not logged into the game in quite some time so if mining or an actual planet with vegetation/fauna are in the game at this point I gladly accept that I am wrong.
    bartoni33FrodoFragins
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Talonsin said:
    The part that burns my britches is that the original concept was to get the core game out and then add other features in as updates but that has not happened.  We still dont have a core game, only a test server with around 15 missions.  Why are they working on new ships and planetary vehicles when we dont even have a populated planet to explore with them yet?  Why create mining ships when there is nothing to mine in the game?

To be fair, I have not logged into the game in quite some time so if mining or an actual planet with vegetation/fauna are in the game at this point I gladly accept that I am wrong.
    Because it's easier to create some marketing material and sell a million dollars worth of jpegs and have the fans use their imagination to fill in the rest then actually creating a game that many will find fun.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2017
    Kefo said:
    Talonsin said:

Because it's easier to create some marketing material and sell a million dollars worth of jpegs and have the fans use their imagination to fill in the rest then actually creating a game that many will find fun.
    yeah, that is what really gave my decision to stop supporting SC. Honestly, I am still very unhappy they added literal shit to the game. That is like one big  F U to the supporters and the biggest joke I've ever seen in an MMO. Just too many features being added, instead of focusing on the game being made.

Heck, I'd be okay (but still displeased) if they added literal shit after release, or even in beta or something, but not in alpha and when so many things need to be finished
    bartoni33

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556

From a project management, and expectation management perspective, Star Citizen is an abject failure.

The game may yet release, it may even be fun to play, but the process of getting there has not been well handled. 

The trouble with crowdfunding being, that customers are even harder to please than investors. The customer has a better idea of what he wants to pay for than the investor ever will, yet has even less patience and forgiveness.

MadFrenchiebartoni33
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Think of how far along the game would be if it had competent management!?   And the money it wouldn't have wasted....
    bartoni33rpmcmurphy

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Simple answer: No.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Kefo said:
    Talonsin said:

yeah, that is what really gave my decision to stop supporting SC. Honestly, I am still very unhappy they added literal shit to the game. That is like one big  F U to the supporters and the biggest joke I've ever seen in an MMO. Just too many features being added, instead of focusing on the game being made.

Heck, I'd be okay (but still displeased) if they added literal shit after release, or even in beta or something, but not in alpha and when so many things need to be finished
    To be fair they haven't added it, they talked about it being something they could do to make the world even more "real".

Regardless, it's a stupid thing for devs to even be discussing when there are far more important matters to deal with, like delivering the damn game...
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    edited September 2017
    Good thing about video games is you are free to completely ignore their existence if you dont like them. So no, I dont think it deserve its hate. Hating on SC, making thread like these seems like a massive waste of time to me.

I do enjoy laughing at SC though. Laughing at hilariously slow development pace, laughing at non-features they announce instead of working on actual content, selling webcams now , etc.

The game already brings me more enjoyment without even playing it, than most finished games. So ye, I actually love SC. All I need to do is wait for another of their announcement, because at this point you just KNOW its gonna be comedy gold.
    RidelynnrpmcmurphyConstantineMerusBabuinix
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Simple answer: No.
    You missed the original thread title. Our OP is a master of bait-and-switch.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited September 2017
    Kefo said:
    goboygo said:
    Jealousy.  Jealous of a guy that raised a bunch of money, jealous of people that have more money than them to donate.  All the negative posts and hate, all of it fueled by jealously in one form or the other.  Its what people do, its in our DNA.
    You're about a year and a half late. That was the excuse then and was proven wrong time and time again so can you come up with something new please?
    Something that's in peoples DNA doesn't go away after a year and a half.  Its still the default driver for almost all of the these posts.  I will give you though, that if people hate something or someone long enough they do forget the original reason and it just becomes a default response to a situation.
    MaxBacon
  • OdenBladeOdenBlade Member UncommonPosts: 66

Star Citizen deserve not its hate!

Xarko
    goboygo said:
    Kefo said:
    goboygo said:
    Jealousy.  Jealous of a guy that raised a bunch of money, jealous of people that have more money than them to donate.  All the negative posts and hate, all of it fueled by jealously in one form or the other.  Its what people do, its in our DNA.
    You're about a year and a half late. That was the excuse then and was proven wrong time and time again so can you come up with something new please?
    Something that's in peoples DNA doesn't go away after a year and a half.  Its still the default driver for almost all of the these posts.  I will give you though, that if people hate something or someone long enough they do forget the original reason and it just becomes a default response to a situation.
    It's really not and it's a piss poor excuse that you're trying to pass off. People hate on the game because CR is a incompetent moron and loves to waste backer money.
    MaxBaconBabuinix
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    goboygo said:
    I will give you though, that if people hate something or someone long enough they do forget the original reason and it just becomes a default response to a situation.
    I agree this is fully predictable now, all you need to know is the poster name and you already know what they are going to say, part of this will never change, independent of how successful the game becomes.
    Excession
  • kumobladekumoblade Member UncommonPosts: 86
    When people want to see a person, game, or company fail; it usually says a lot more about that person than the target of their vitriol. How petty and little some people are that feel the need to damn the success of others.

Derek Smart is scum of the Earth. A coalescence of the worst of human traits. Unwarranted Self Importance. Illusions of Grandeur. Envy and Extreme Personal Insecurity.

He can't see or blame his own shortcomings, so he has to blame others, like CIG.  To him, they're responsible for his failures, so he will do everything within his incredibly feeble ability to try and drown them and Chris Roberts.  To try and manipulate and remove their success in hopes that his failures won't look so bad when the smoke clears.  There is no Benevolent or Altruistic motive.  It is for personal gain for him, and nothing more.  Because he's obsessed with the fact that Second Place is just the first loser, and his games don't even make it on the charts. 

With that out of the way...

CIG is incorporating tech into Star Citizen that other gaming companies haven't even dreamed up or thought of.  

Innovation, R&D.  They take time and Money.  

And with that comes the opportunity to really raise the bar.  To not be just another half-assed space sim, but to take the genre and turn it on it's head.  To set a greater expectation.

Personally, I appreciate that.  From what I've played and seen, It looks like they're giving 200%. 

In the Not-so-immortal words of Washed up Rapper turned metal, Vanilla Ice.

"Anything less than the best is a Felony."

BabuinixConstantineMerus
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    The game's feature creep went so far as to add a toilet? That is a joke right? :D
    kumoblade said: 

With that out of the way...

CIG is incorporating tech into Star Citizen that other gaming companies haven't even dreamed up or thought of.  

Innovation, R&D.  They take time and Money.  

What tech are they incorporating that no other gaming company hasn't dreamed or thought up yet?
    MaxBaconExcession
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited September 2017
    Scot said:
    The game's feature creep went so far as to add a toilet? That is a joke right? :D
    The ships always had have toilets and such. Though this is over-dramatization BS over something as "shitting mechanic", what is not. A dev mentions that as stuff they think to do in the future relates to the set of RP-stuff as characters getting drunk, or even showering, design stuff not being worked on attm, the RP-meant stuff might also be optional from the talks stating against forced RP.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    MaxBacon said:
    Scot said:
    The ships always had have toilets and such. Though this is over-dramatization BS over something as "shitting mechanic", what is not. A dev mentions that as stuff they think to do in the future relates to the set of RP-stuff as characters getting drunk, or even showering, design stuff not being worked on attm, the RP-meant stuff might also be optional from the talks stating against forced RP.

Thanks for the clarification, that is a relief. But I do agree with OP there is no need to go down this route, stick to the basics and do it well, that is what gaming is about.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    If I'd bought into the Kickstart of SC, I'd be pretty pissed about now. The feature creep and stretch goals could all have been added after release as far as I'm concerned.

The fact that they've raised so much money selling pixel ships and there is still no finished product is something of a worry.

I'm not sure they deserve the hate, but they have to expect to be taking some flak.
    Viper482
  • penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    The answer to the post is - YES
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    If I'd bought into the Kickstart of SC, I'd be pretty pissed about now. The feature creep and stretch goals could all have been added after release as far as I'm concerned.

The fact that they've raised so much money selling pixel ships and there is still no finished product is something of a worry.

I'm not sure they deserve the hate, but they have to expect to be taking some flak.
    yeah, they should be focused on finishing the game. Though I guess the shit mechanic is something they WANT to do, but from what I heard yesterday and the previous night it was something they were already developing. But maybe the information was wrong.

Still, there is a lot of other things they've been adding instead of finishing the game. A lot of those things can be added after release.

The other thing, they seem VERY focused on making "content" where people buy for it (like ships), instead of working 100% on finishing the game. Its obvious they are hard up on money, since they are still heavily focused on making money and not the game. It should be the other way around.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• cormachcormach Member UncommonPosts: 98
    As a private company, they are not required to provide financial documents. You, and everyone else, can speculate on their financial health, but there's no way to know if it's true. Are they selling ships because they NEED the money, or because the WANT the money? I don't know. It could be either, both or neither.

I do wish they would focus on the game and finish it. I think CR has some interesting ideas, but they should be worked on and implemented down the road, once the game is finished.  I think they need to spend more time on finishing things from the initial pitch, rather than turning this in to Sims in space.

Also, I wouldn't recommend using Derek Smart as a source, unless you can verify what he says from a reputable source. His track record at game development isn't the best, just look at the latest one he's working on. It's been in development for six or seven years, it was an MMO, then it wasn't an MMO, now it's going to be an XBOX game, and, much like Star Citizen, there's no real development end in sight. Plus, he's made a lot of predictions over the last few years that haven't happened, just like his lawsuit against CIG either didn't happen, or didn't go anywhere.

If you like the game, buy it. If you don't like the game, don't buy it. It's your money, and your decision. Don't let some person on the internet talk you in to one or the other.
    Babuinix
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    First of all, I backed the game so I will complain all I want. I tried to get a refund and was refused, so I don't know how all these people claim they are getting refunds.

My biggest issue with the game is the microtransactions for ships costing hundreds of dollars before the game is even finished. This after getting a record breaking dollar amount to complete the game. Maybe if they spent less time on videos and art to sell their ships for real cash and more time on the actual game.....

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Viper482 said:
    First of all, I backed the game so I will complain all I want. I tried to get a refund and was refused, so I don't know how all these people claim they are getting refunds.

My biggest issue with the game is the microtransactions for ships costing hundreds of dollars before the game is even finished. This after getting a record breaking dollar amount to complete the game. Maybe if they spent less time on videos and art to sell their ships for real cash and more time on the actual game.....

Trick is to be persistent but polite to get a refund. Tell them they haven't delivered on what they promised you and if they deny you again let them know you will be filing complaints with various agencies.
This discussion has been closed.