Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Active Development Ends, Game Enters Maintenance Mode - Battleborn - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageActive Development Ends, Game Enters Maintenance Mode - Battleborn - MMORPG.com

Battleborn News - Gearbox has announced in a new post by Creative Director Randy Varnell on the Battleborn site that active development has ended and that he is moving off to a new project. It will not close, but simply go into "maintenance mode". The final update will be deployed in the near future. Afterward, a small team will address emergency bugs and keeping servers in shape.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Its a shame, it is a fun game.
    SoulsemmerFrankVLucasrertezGrend

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited September 2017
    Final update maybe should be f2p with cash shop.
    Shodanas

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    think the issues was not head to head with blizzard, it was poor designee overall. tanks did not feel like tanks, they got killed too easy. most assassin felt weird  or boring to play, then you had others assassins  that had high mobility around map an kill anyone  easily.

they also tried add talents to mix it up but it created a power scale were snowball matches were normal the moba aspect was interesting twist but poorly played out.

love em or hate em overwatch is simple in a good way, easy to pick up an play for anyone, no talent tree to try figure out, simple objectives to win.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Yeah...didn't see this coming...
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Wait ,wait.
    Charging a full AAA price in a market dominated by Blizzard's OW,didn't work out well?
    But Wildstar tried to do the same...oh.....ok.
    Shodanasdino2005
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited September 2017
    Pitchford's pride is truly a strange, embarassing thing. How is there more dignity in a game which immediately flops and goes into maintenance mode a year later than there is in an f2p relaunch which could very well save the game?

Sure, going f2p would put them into competition with Paladins, but Paladins is a joke. It's almost unplayable due to having poor anti-cheat and typical Hi-rez balance (which is to say none at all). If Battleborn was even semi-competent, it would surely be strong competition here.
    Nepheth
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    jimmywolf said:
    think the issues was not head to head with blizzard, it was poor designee overall. tanks did not feel like tanks, they got killed too easy. most assassin felt weird  or boring to play, then you had others assassins  that had high mobility around map an kill anyone  easily.

they also tried add talents to mix it up but it created a power scale were snowball matches were normal the moba aspect was interesting twist but poorly played out.

love em or hate em overwatch is simple in a good way, easy to pick up an play for anyone, no talent tree to try figure out, simple objectives to win.
    Yes, it was. They changed from a January release to releasing just around 1 or 2 weeks before Overwatch, that alone killed ANY momentum it could've possibly had.
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441

d_20 said:

Uhhhh it is already this for awhile now

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838

d_20 said:

Uhhhh it is already this for awhile now
    Sort of? Going on their site, it looks like they've only halfheartedly gone f2p. A trial with characters and missions locked behind the retail box and season pass isn't quite the same thing. 
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Boo-hoo. That's karma, Pitchford. Screw you, your game, and your pride.
    XarkoAeander

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Doubt the game would even survive as F2P, it just wasn't that good.
  • Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Project 1v1 is what they're working on. I spoke with the lead programmer.
    Wylf
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Yeah, that's just what the gaming world needs. LOL
    Konner920
  • Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Wylf said:

Yeah, that's just what the gaming world needs. LOL

Yeah, we need more Arena shooters than garbage MMOs that aren't worth playing.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Torval said:

If I had one reservation about a Borderlands sequel with decent multiplayer it would be this, that they would ditch it if and when things got tough.

Of course they would. Gearbox doesn't give a damn about their fans, or at least Bitchford doesn't. Case in point: A few days ago he did an interview with IGN, and he flat-out blamed his own customers for Aliens: Colonial Marines being a shit game. Never mind all the fake previews and blatant lies told to the press and gamers alike! Never mind that the game was outsourced (which he also lied about). Never mind the money from Sega which was used for Borderlands 2 instead. No, it's OUR fault because expectations were too high.

He's not only a greedy shyster, but a completely unrepentant narcissist. People who buy Gearbox games are supporting one of the absolute worst companies in the business, period.

And don't even get me started on how badly coded and unbalanced Borderlands 2 was, or how the violence was severely toned down...
    Aeander

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Even without OW, Battleborn's hit detection and responsiveness always felt subpar to me..  It's an issue I also experienced with the BL series.

I've knocked Blizzard for a lack of innovation before and will continue to so so where it seems appropriate, but FPSs, more than any other genre, need tight and responsive controls to make it to the top of the pile these days.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Even without OW, Battleborn's hit detection and responsiveness always felt subpar to me..  It's an issue I also experienced with the BL series.

I've knocked Blizzard for a lack of innovation before and will continue to so so where it seems appropriate, but FPSs, more than any other genre, need tight and responsive controls to make it to the top of the pile these days.

Quake ( at least 2/3 ) still has ( after those many years ) top notch responsive controls. I wonder why GearBox couldn't come up with awesome controls for Battleborn .

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239

Gorwe said:

Battleborn, Bloodborn...what's next?

Borneborn I guess ;)

Shame about BaB, but...it was visible, come on, don't deny it. It was practically a common sense what'd happen to it.

Let's see... Stillborn?

Anyway they had no chance in pvp but maybe if they made it pve the lootershooter kind of game they'd stand more chance?