Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More chillerific: Elite: Dangerous or Stellaris?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey folks, I'm wanting to play a relaxing space game.  I tried No Man's Sky, but I had to get a Steam refund because it kept crashing.  Anyway, which offers a more relaxing experience, Elite: Dangerous or Stellaris?  If I played E:D, it would probably be as a miner or trader who avoided conflict as much as possible.  Maybe with the Mobius PvE group.  I realize they're totally different games, just trying to figure out which one would offer the more chill experience for my money.  Thanks!

Comments

• LustsLusts Member RarePosts: 205
    If I recall, you asked about space games a couple days ago. I barely scratched Stellaris, but I do play a ton of ED. To me, Stellaris is more of a thinking / strategy game. ED however; depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a trader and take materials from one system to another, requires no thinking at all besides figuring out what to buy and where to take it. However, it is repetitive so listen to music or something while you do it cause you'll spend the majority if the time traveling.

That being said, ED is getting a big update here soon called "The Return" which will introduce the alien race called the Thargoids which were in the previous Elite game years ago. It will also introduce some story, as well as a few other changes to the game. It is a good time to jump in as many players will be active during the launch and months after.

My biggest suggestion, if you plan to get deeply involved with Elite: Dangerous, I'd recommend keeping the official Elite: Dangerous reddit page open in a tab. Community is friendly, you'll see a ton of cool stuff, and get a lot of information about the on-goings within the galaxy. They also have a ton of resources for players. Anything from how to change your UI color, to different third party sites that give you station statistics for trading and best bounty hunting places. It is a really involved community.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2017
    of those 2 Stellaris ,

But if its a 4x game you want Distant World and Gal Civ 3 both do it better , Particularly DW its in a class by itself .. the rest want to be like it..

That being said Stellaris is a solid game

And if your Battle Star Galatica fan ... this is a great game ....
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/544610/Battlestar_Galactica_Deadlock/

also Stars in Shadow is a nice old school feel with all the bells and whistles with depth that the others (aside from DW) bring ...  Nice game

http://store.steampowered.com/app/464880/Stars_in_Shadow/

Or if you can wait a few days ,, Ancient Frontiers will hit .. and is a great game with some unique spins on the genre ..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/521790/Ancient_Frontier/

Gonna expand on this a bit ...

If you are interested in more of an actiony but chill game , there are several i would recommend ..

Star Nomad 2.........really like this one as it draws you into a seemingly living galaxy with a very nice incline to the learning curve and not overly complex ..
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/414950/Star_Nomad_2/

Void Expanse ... Much the same as Star Nomad 2 but more action and class development , does not feel as alive as SN2 but has better combat and slightly better look and feel

http://store.steampowered.com/app/324260/VoidExpanse/

Drox Operative ..............If you want Diablo 2 in space with a a great mission/faction system and more loot than you will ever know what to do with....

http://store.steampowered.com/app/274480/Drox_Operative/

Stellar Tactics .. this one is really unique and in EA (but very well along and worth playing at this build)  Brings a really nice mix of Baldurs Gate/ Wasteland 2/ and Faster Than Light ...........very cool game .....
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/465490/Stellar_Tactics/

Post edited by Scorchien on
    Arglebargle[Deleted User]
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OK, thanks guys!  Yeah, I posted a couple of days ago and went with NMS.  Unfortunately, it wasn't playable for me.  I'll definitely check out those other games!

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Just keep in mind ED can be quite boring as you just do the same thing over and over, and with the roids coming be ready to die fast and often especially since I bet they will be balanced against engineered ships.

Engineered ships consists of farming and farming rare components and playing the random luck game to modify ship parts to get a ship that is much much better than a stock A ship.

Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Generally I find strategy games more relaxing as I control the pace.

Stellaris is an excellent experience if you enjoy 4x.  

I was checking out Stellaris on a FB fan page, and apparently, there's a huge patch coming 9/21.  Unfortunately, previous saves games will apparently not be playable after the patch.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I was checking out Stellaris on a FB fan page, and apparently, there's a huge patch coming 9/21.  Unfortunately, previous saves games will apparently not be playable after the patch.
    I would say if you're interested, simply use the time between now and the 21st to get familiar with game systems and the different governments/ethics and the effect they have on your species, so when the patch hits you can start a game and be knowledgeable enough not to make rookie mistakes when starting a new campaign that you can play for a while.
    Scorchien[Deleted User]

I would say if you're interested, simply use the time between now and the 21st to get familiar with game systems and the different governments/ethics and the effect they have on your species, so when the patch hits you can start a game and be knowledgeable enough not to make rookie mistakes when starting a new campaign that you can play for a while.
    Yea i would not let that stop you Mighty as Stellaris has a bit of learning curve ,particularly if you are new to that type of game ..

You will most definitley learn alot in that time and find things you will do differently the next time ...  

MadFrenchie[Deleted User]
    OK, thanks guys!  Soon as my refund posts to Steam, I'll pick it up.
    On a totally unrelated note to derail my own thread...Anyone play Age of Wonders 3?
    edited September 2017
    On a totally unrelated note to derail my own thread...Anyone play Age of Wonders 3?
    yea good game
      altho , i like .........http://store.steampowered.com/app/496730/Sorcerer_King_Rivals/

a bit better for one , couple others in that mold i would reccomend before AoW 3 , but it is a good game , well made

edited September 2017
    Torval said:
    Scorchien said:
    Yea i would not let that stop you Mighty as Stellaris has a bit of learning curve ,particularly if you are new to that type of game ..

You will most definitley learn alot in that time and find things you will do differently the next time ...   
    These aren't my main game play types and I often struggle with the learning curve that some (most) present. MadFrenchie's advice is especially on for people like me.

I have Galactic Civ II and Endless Space, both of which I've restarted on "Don't Hurt Me Daddy" mode. :smiley: I also have Starpoint Gemini 2 which I haven't gotten too far into because I'm still figuring out controls and how it works. I'm hoping dialing it way down will give me a chance to get hands on with the mechanics of the system so I can start thinking about tactics and strategy.

I can't remember if I asked, but have you looked into Wartile?  http://store.steampowered.com/app/404200/WARTILE/  It's still in very early development and I'm not sure what it's going to end up like, but I've been watching it for quite a while now.
      I like Wartile pretty good game so far and i like its direction ..

But ive been liking Longsword a bit better ...http://store.steampowered.com/app/428610/Longsword__Tabletop_Tactics/

Now , both these games have a way to go and i have high hopes for both , looking forward to continue playing both as the grow and update ..

I like both these dev teams also

And let me clarify a bit on that Torval,  Both games i really like , and i like the direction for both ..

But Wartile has tied itself into a Norse Mythology only (at this time) and seems to be there focus , and i like it

And Longsword is more basic High Fantasy bringing much more diversity to units and enemies(at this time)

The future looks bright for both and mechanically both are sound as of this build for each ....

Hope that helps

Post edited by Scorchien on
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Stellaris can definitely be a relaxing game.  It's speed is adjustable, so if you don't wanna go fast, you don't have to.  Also, it's one of those games that if you have to answer the door or hit the latrine, you can leave it going (for the most part.  If you're in a war or something, then obviously, potty has to hold or pause).

I play with a couple of friends, and we chit chat, while playing and it isn't taxing to do both.  So, I can definitely recommend this one.

Addendum... and of course, it's fun and not just relaxing ;)
    [Deleted User]

I self identify as a monkey.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Dont HurtMe Daady mode ... lol

Grab Gal Civ 3 on sale .. worth every cent ....All these games listed are really fun just take your time and done be afraid to fail . The best lessons come from the worst failures:)

Stay away from Distant Worlds for a while :)
    [Deleted User]
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    They are completely different games.

I've seen people jumping between both games, who get burnt off by grind/lack of content in ED jumping back to Stellaris, but to its core both games play differently and you should check gameplay to properly see what attracts you more.

edited September 2017
    Torval said:
    FYI Drox Operative, that you listed above, is on sale for $5 (75% off). Normal price is $20.

I've put Galactic Civ 3 on the list.
    Drox is such a great game , if you ever wanted to play D2 in space this is it ..

I really like Soldak and support them with all there titles , if you havent tried any of them they each have a really amazing dynamic questing system that other bigger devs would be wise to look at ...

for ex.. If D3,POE or Grim Dawn  had Dins Curse dynamic questing faction system , it would easily be the best ARPG out .. not even a conversation ..

Wartile is also on sale 15% off @ 16.99
    [Deleted User]
    edited September 2017
    Ancient Frontiers released today , nice game , 25% off right now ....

Here is a well done review ...
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/521790/discussions/0/1495615865208072211/

Also a really nice Paradox sale going on , Stellaris and others for a great prices ..

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/3100/Paradox_Grand_Strategy_Collection/

MadFrenchie
    And if that wasnt enough . Stardock giant sale .. Gal Civ 3 for 9.89 ..Woahhh

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/stardock

Selfless bump for any who were interested and missed it ,, There are some really good sales going on for these games