Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Star Citizen deserve its hate?

Comments

• gir243gir243 Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Erillion said:
    Kyleran said:
    Link to your kill board please?

;)
    Sorry.

I learned my lesson in other games not to give out in-game names on discussion forums  ;-)

Have fun
    I was more interested in the 64fps in the PU and how many other players were around.
  • g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    I'm sure my 2 year old will be in high school by the time this game releases. Hmmm maybe it will be in early access by then yet charge for an expansion... 
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    gir243 said:
    I was more interested in the 64fps in the PU and how many other players were around.

The moment i was referring to was a 2 vs 3 dogfight. Mostly Sabres.

Numbers were changing constantly as some joined the fight and others were shot down. About a dozen ships in total.

i7 rig with SSD and RX 480, with tweeked settings for optimal SC performance, using Thrustmaster joystick

Have fun

gir243
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I like the idea of the game but the way they do things seem usual to me and I've followed a lot of MMO's over the years.  It's not a black or white thing to me.  No game is 100% good or bad, but somewhere in the middle.  How far to the left or right it appears, boils down to personal assessments it seems.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2017
    Don't see what the issue is with a game taking a long game to release. Never hear anyone complaining about Cyberpunk 2077 taking ages to release. The only difference is CD Project says very very little about cyberpunk, and only occasionally says something to let people know the game is still alive.
    FrodoFragins

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    >>> Why the hell would anyone want to throw money at him at this point in the game when you can easily see he's repeating the same mistakes? >>>

Because they may trust him more than you ?

Have fun
    What you just said makes no sense since I wasn't asking people to trust me. Nice attempt at a strawman though
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2017
    Don't see what the issue is with a game taking a long game to release. Never hear anyone complaining about Cyberpunk 2077 taking ages to release. The only difference is CD Project says very very little about cyberpunk, and only occasionally says something to let people know the game is still alive.
    No. The difference between, say, CD Projekt Red and Blizzard taking their sweet time and delaying their release and CIG doing the same, is that Blizzard and CD Projekt Red are using industry standard means of funding and, as a studio, have successfully released multiple quality titles.
    Kefo

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    No. The difference between, say, CD Projekt Red and Blizzard taking their sweet time and delaying their release, is that Blizzard and CD Projekt Red are using industry standard means of funding and, as a studio, have successfully released multiple quality titles.
    Agreed. There wouldn't be as much criticism of CIG if they had deivered quality games already and proven that being patient results in a high quality game. 

As as it stands right now they haven't delivered any completed product, have taken a crapton of backer money and so far their results are mediocre at best if you take away the "ooh shiny graphics!"
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Kefo said:
    It's been 5 years and there are legit concerns regarding whether they'll ever get the engine to do what they promised.  There are also legit fears about whether they'll have enough money to complete it if they iron those issues out. 

At this point, every month that goes by without it being delivered makes it look worse.

SC is likely hurting other crowd funding projects based on how poorly its been managed and how sleezy CR is.

Why make it?  This is human nature when spending other peoples money.  If there exists a large group of people who are more than willing to throw what appears to be a never ending barrage of cash at you to develop a game with few, if any, questions asked why would anyone in their right mind make completing the game a priority?
    The better question would be give  CR's past history with running his own game studio

why the hell would anyone want to throw money at him at this point in the game when you can easily see he's repeating the same mistakes?
    He clearly found a niche waiting to be filled and some massive whales.  It's turning into a cult at this point.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Kefo said:
    It's been 5 years and there are legit concerns regarding whether they'll ever get the engine to do what they promised.  There are also legit fears about whether they'll have enough money to complete it if they iron those issues out. 

At this point, every month that goes by without it being delivered makes it look worse.

SC is likely hurting other crowd funding projects based on how poorly its been managed and how sleezy CR is.

Why make it?  This is human nature when spending other peoples money.  If there exists a large group of people who are more than willing to throw what appears to be a never ending barrage of cash at you to develop a game with few, if any, questions asked why would anyone in their right mind make completing the game a priority?
    The better question would be give  CR's past history with running his own game studio

why the hell would anyone want to throw money at him at this point in the game when you can easily see he's repeating the same mistakes?
    He clearly found a niche waiting to be filled and some massive whales.  It's turning into a cult at this point.
    The cult designation can be ascribed to most game communities.  Especially those unreleased ones.  Folks tie their self-worth to a game's success...  SC is not unique in that aspect.

kikoodutroa8PhaserlightKefo

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    g0m0rrah said:
    I'm sure my 2 year old will be in high school by the time this game releases. Hmmm maybe it will be in early access by then yet charge for an expansion... 
    After you drop them off at school you can put your spaceship on autopilot and sneak in some Star Citizen beta time on your way to work on the moon.
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    All the haters obviously don't understand game development but also don't realise SC is the game that's going to save pc gaming from consoles.
    ForgrimmlancerxxIselinExcession
  • maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Derek Smart makes some of the worst games ever.  He is the last person I would trust when deciding whether to spend money on a game or not.  All he is doing is riding the coattails of Star Citizen to get attention for himself.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I think crowdfunding might be a greater difference.  How many fans of Cyberpunk have put money into the game so far?
    MadFrenchieIselin

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited September 2017
    I think crowdfunding might be a greater difference.  How many fans of Cyberpunk have put money into the game so far?
    The difference there is night and day.  Even attempting to compare the two smacks of fanboying.

• lancerxxlancerxx Member UncommonPosts: 63
    All the haters obviously don't understand game development but also don't realise SC is the game that's going to save pc gaming from consoles.
    That last part of your quote seems very dubious to me.
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, I agree with all you guys that the game is pretty suspicious
    Post edited by TheScavenger on

• Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    WTF????   LOL
    lancerxx
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
    OP:  This MMO has the most anti-SC agenda of any pre-released MMO

100% correct and indisputable!

No other MMO has more anti-Star Citizen stuff than Star Citizen!!
    yes, I said the most anti-SC agenda. That is because no other MMO is SC, so it can't be hated by those who hate star citizen
    MadFrenchie

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Kefo said:

The cult designation can be ascribed to most game communities.  Especially those unreleased ones.  Folks tie their self-worth to a game's success...  SC is not unique in that aspect.

However, in SC's case, some may have their literal worth tied to the game's success.

SC wasn't the first to do it, but certainly the first on such a scale.  $45,000 personal, out of pocket on a video game is unfathomable to me. $18,000 out of pocket on a video game is crazy to me, too.  Doubly so that it doesn't even exist, yet (outside a few demos).  That's a helluva lot of trust. 

Other video games may have a cult following, but dare I say SC has developed a cult of personality surrounding Chris Roberts; it seems like there is a tacit agreement among the SC elite to basically ignore any video game not made by him.

That's my impression from wandering around various internet forums and article comment sections, anyway.  In real life I've not heard one person mention "Star Citizen", ever. 
    MadFrenchie

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    MMO?
    edited September 2017
    Phaserlight said:
    Kefo said:

However, in SC's case, some may have their literal worth tied to the game's success.

SC wasn't the first to do it, but certainly the first on such a scale.  $45,000 personal, out of pocket on a video game is unfathomable to me. $18,000 out of pocket on a video game is crazy to me, too.  Doubly so that it doesn't even exist, yet (outside a few demos).  That's a helluva lot of trust. 

Other video games may have a cult following, but dare I say SC has developed a cult of personality surrounding Chris Roberts; it seems like there is a tacit agreement among the SC elite to basically ignore any video game not made by him.

That's my impression from wandering around various internet forums and article comment sections, anyway.  In real life I've not heard one person mention "Star Citizen", ever. 
    Likewise, SC has developed a loud niche group of Derek Fans who want to see SC fail so derek smart can swoop in and make cash from it...or...even if it doesn't make him rich...he'll definitely be internet "famous" and able to brag about how right he was all along.

I'm a derek smart fan myself, because I think he has uncovered a lot of truth about the game. But I wouldn't play his games still.

edited September 2017
    lancerxx said:
    That last part of your quote seems very dubious to me.
    Was he being sincere?  I took it as a sarcastic post.
    Phaserlightlancerxx

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Phaserlight said:
    Kefo said:

Likewise, SC has developed a loud niche group of Derek Fans who want to see SC fail so derek smart can swoop in and make cash from it...or...even if it doesn't make him rich...he'll definitely be internet "famous" and able to brag about how right he was all along.
    Well, that's certainly sad if it's true. 

I tend to view Derek Smart as just another deity in SC's pantheon to the cultists; a usefully antagonistic one.  Nothing quite like a common enemy to bring folks together.

Truth is he is someone I'd not heard of prior to SC, who claims to hold multiple PhDs, that stumbled on what he thinks is the gaming "scoop" of the decade.  That's about as far as it goes, with me. 

I've tried multiple times to bow out of the various SC debates for good (until they have a tangible finished product) but it's hard to avoid online given my interests. The internet is abuzz. 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

I have since edited the thread, since I discovered information and the information relayed in this thread about what is really going on behind the scenes of Star Citizen. You can see my explanation here

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/468215/why-derek-smart-is-right-about-star-citizen-his-facts-and-why-sc-is-likely-to-fail#latest

I wanted to defend Star Citizen because for one, didn't want my 50 dollars wasted, two I legit really like the ideas behind it. But after reading so much about what Derek Smart has uncovered, and the people in this thread giving me info, I can't defend star citizen any longer and am no longer a fan of the game
    ShaddyDaddyMaxBacon

This discussion has been closed.