Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Greatest MMORPGs of All Time - 2017 Edition - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    The top 3 Eq, WoW, UO are where they should be.. can discuss the order but not important. The rest I can pretty much also agree with as well except I would kick ESO for something else and CoH I haven't played so shrug .. and the order, well who cares.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    A lot of you guys don't understand that this list is for 2017, not 2009. We can't have the same MMOs on every single list over and over, specially when your nostalgia in interfering with your concepts of a "good" MMO. 
    So you think Avengers might at some point replace Citizen Kane on the best movies of all time then?

Not that I got anything against this list though. But when you say all time you don't replace lesser titles with better titles just because they are newer. 
    While I agree with you in principle, the fact is a "best of" list has to also remain relevant. Unlike movies, games can only be experienced in the moment. We have reached a point where gamers weren't born when UO released and were roughly three when it reached its heyday. There is no way they can relate to UO on this list or even begin to understand why it's on the list. A movie you can just go rent, watch, and make an assessment. You can't go play UO in 1997.

Twenty years from now gamers will think of UO the way we think of Pong today. 
    I agree to an extent.  But movies also pull from contemporary society issues and values, so some of the value of Citizen Kane is lost in the context of the time in which is was created.

However, as you say, watching a movie is not dependent upon a community of movie watchers, as is experiencing an MMORPG.
    It's inevitable that modern context colors our perception of classics. Even more so, "best" is not really an objective measure even if we try our damndest to make it so. Metropolis may very well be one of the best Scifi movies ever but I'll pop Blade Runner or Arrival into my BD player over it 99 times out of 100.
    People are different mate, I don't. I tolerated Arrival and won't ever watch it again but I'll keep revisiting Metropolis every few years or so. Popularity, doesn't increase or decrease the quality. If that was the case we could've just shut down the world of criticism and weighed everything by their sales. And I also believe the special effects would only get old when the movie is about the special effects.

And regarding what @postlarval said, yes I understand that. And that is exactly the reason--as I mentioned before--I am totally okay with the list. 
    Top anything lists are strongly influenced by the current audience. 

If you were to ask most millineals where Citizen Kane rates many would say, huh?
    Depends on who comes up with the list and what is their purpose. I am a cinephile, I already know what's going on. So when Cahiers de cinema publishes a list, it doesn't care about my validation. It wants to influence those lads and lassies to go "huh?" then rent the movie and go "wow". 

But then again, as postlarval said, that cannot be done with MMOs that are no longer available. The list stops being influential. Hence, as I said, that is the reason I don't have any problem with such lists in the end. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • XaxonyXaxony Member CommonPosts: 3
    My personal list is as follows:

World of Warcraft
    Everquest
    Rift
    Everquest II
    Forsaken World
    RuneScape
    Dungeons and Dragons Online
    League of Legends
    SWTOR
    Vanguard
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Xaxony said:
    My personal list is as follows:

World of Warcraft
    Everquest
    Rift
    Everquest II
    Forsaken World
    RuneScape
    Dungeons and Dragons Online
    League of Legends
    SWTOR
    Vanguard
    One of these is not like the others....

ConstantineMerusMrMelGibsonbcbully[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Thillian said:
    What a terrible list. Why do I still bother with this website?

• blackgoatblackgoat Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Ultima online , Everquest and WOW for sure master pieces of the genre...

not in their current state but the old school state...

and they all can still be experienced..... in the case of ultima online and WOW in private servers , in the case of everquest , in progression server...

but i think games like everquest there s no space in the world today... totally anti life game.... sitting on the same virtual space for hours grinding makes you dumb...and there s realy no challenge besides ur own patience. Always regret the time lost in those modern progression server.
    A good list, but DAoC classified higher than ESO? Hum, no way.
    Hipster.  ;)
    postlarvalMrMelGibson[Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mentoplusmentoplus Member UncommonPosts: 73
    lololol dead pieces of shit like swg and coh and no ragnarok and lineage 1/2?
    wtf is this list made of? redditors wet dreams?
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Your list, your opinions. Personally, I don't think ESO or GW 2 deserve much recognition, and should have been replaced by AC or Lineage. It's an "All Times" list, after all.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

mentoplus said:
    lololol dead pieces of shit like swg and coh and no ragnarok and lineage 1/2?
    wtf is this list made of? redditors wet dreams?
    Pretty much a list of games players in the West are most a familiar with, which the OP mentioned I believe.

SWG and COH died mostly due to management mistakes on the part of their creators, and there's still some who would be willing to play them again today were they to re-open and start growing again.

A list on an Asian web site it would be very different I think.

MrMelGibson

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    AGE OF WUSHU #1

before it went full p2w...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Bill,

The list mirrors my own.  When you are measuring the games that defined the genre and created the various modes of play (themepark, sandbox), and then include the ones of successive generations which enjoyed the greatest success, you nailed it.

My list isn't about a favorite game, but games that mattered.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    This list actually made me go and recheck the WoW private server and also the EQ one.
    Chamber of Chains
  • LumicronLumicron Member UncommonPosts: 4

DMKano said:

The list is just opinion.

Games that I would put on my list (again my opinion)

Aion

Asherons Call

ArcheAge

BDO

Rift

Lineage

Runescape

dont Forget lotr i dont understand why linage and Lord of the rings arent on the list...and bdo is by far the best mmo in years, so it deserves rang 1!!!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Lumicron said:

DMKano said:

The list is just opinion.

Games that I would put on my list (again my opinion)

Aion

Asherons Call

ArcheAge

BDO

Rift

Lineage

Runescape

dont Forget lotr i dont understand why linage and Lord of the rings arent on the list...and bdo is by far the best mmo in years, so it deserves rang 1!!!

Lineage/Lineage 2 didn't do well here and the list reflects mostly Western and the two eastern games that had traction here. That explanation prefaces their list.

As I said above, Lord of the Rings doesn't do anything better than World of Warcraft and given the systems that they did implement, they also did a very poor job.

Radiance system? Legendary weapons, Mounted combat? Poor implementation of Helm's Deep?

Other than decent writing and one's personal enjoyment of Tolkien (which is all on Tolkien). What greatness does it actually have? (I"ll add Cartoonish gear).

So yeah, if one wants to talk about "great" mmo's solely from a personal standpoint then no one can question any list as it's all personal opinion.

[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    No Runescape. Totally bogus list.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    My list wouldn't even be 10 games long,maybe 5-6.
    If a game comes along AFTER the fact and does NOTHING new,just basically copies,same old new skin,that game idc if is equal to the best game on the planet gets no recognition from me,nothing more than a 4-5/10 average copy cat.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• annarchiegordonannarchiegordon Member CommonPosts: 4
    Where the fuck is Guild Wars 1? GW 2 is a sad "sequel" to the original
  • ScoliozScolioz Member UncommonPosts: 110
    edited September 2017
    Asheron's Call is not on the list??. hilarious.. Asheron's Call was one of the best MMORPG's ever made and WAY ahead of its time... It had the largest land mass map of any mmo back than ( about the size of Rhode Island ) and it was completely seamless and zoneless.. no other mmo had that at the time.. not even Everquest..

it was around in the same time period as Everquest and UO.... basically Asherons Call, Everquest and Ultima online were the big three and basically the only MMO's around in the late 1990's and early 2000's..
    BS list created by a green horn nooby.
    KyleranAdmin
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Some important cliff-notes for the reading impaired folk who seem deeply offended by the list:

The following is a list we compiled using something we like to call “our hearts and minds and asses”. In short, it’s not scientific, definitive, or in any way gospel. Our Top 10 Great MMOs of All Time list is merely our own thoughts, put to paper. We absolutely welcome your own insight, and soon we’ll begin a poll of our users to catalog the Players’ Choice for 2017 too.

In short, this list is mostly just us struggling to show love to every game we’ve adored, and can be taken with a grain of salt. As we update it every year or more, it can and will change.

Honorable Mentions: Asheron’s Call, Lord of the Rings Online, The Secret World, Rift, Black Desert, Meridian 59, Lineage 1 and 2, EverQuest 2, Planetside, Maple Story, Runescape, SWTOR and so many more. Maybe we’ll have to do a top 40 like Casey Kasem soon.

Kyleran[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonAdminMadFrenchie
  • ScoliozScolioz Member UncommonPosts: 110
    edited September 2017
      Asheron’s Call is not an honorable mention. You're on drugs..

Asheron's Call was one of the best MMORPG's ever made and WAY ahead of its time... It had the largest land mass map of any mmo back than ( about the size of Rhode Island ) and it was completely seamless and zoneless.. no other mmo had that at the time.. not even Everquest..  and it had very fast paced movement and had a great combat system

it was around in the same time period as Everquest and UO.... basically Asherons Call, Everquest and Ultima online were the big three and basically the only MMO's around in the late 1990's and early 2000's.  

KyleranAdmin
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Scolioz said:
      Asheron’s Call is not an honorable mention. You're on drugs..

Asheron's Call was one of the best MMORPG's ever made and WAY ahead of its time... It had the largest land mass map of any mmo back than ( about the size of Rhode Island ) and it was completely seamless and zoneless.. no other mmo had that at the time.. not even Everquest..  and it had very fast paced and great combat system

it was around in the same time period as Everquest and UO.... basically Asherons Call, Everquest and Ultima online were the big three and basically the only MMO's around in the late 1990's and early 2000's.  

I tried AC back in 2000 after taking a break from EQ, and I thought it sucked. Funny thing how opinions work eh?
    KyleranMrMelGibsonAdminturinmacleod
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Nothing and I mean nothing comes close to the fun and community that was DAOC.
    Admin
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Where is FFXI? It has held up wonderfully and is still supported to this day with a large player base. Not to mention it was the first cross platform MMO being able to play with other gamers on Playstation and eventually Xbox!
    Admin

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    I think Bill was pretty solid on this list.  Mine would be different and so would thousands of others given this opportunity.  Top 10 is tough to do for this genre and we all have our own personal paths through this awesome genre.  AC1 was no doubt a huge innovator for MMOs - I loved this game, I wanted so bad for AC2 to be 5x of it predecessor, and it was nowhere near it.  As with all of our articles this is just the opinion of one person, and no matter who gets the honor of putting pen to ink not everyone will agree with the end article.  

I think it is just best to post your own "top" list here to share your own viewpoint on it.  This site is founded on player discussion so let us know how you feel the past two decades of MMORPGs has left you feeling and what your own Top 10 is.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.