Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Actively Working to Stem the Tide of Toxicity - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlizzard Actively Working to Stem the Tide of Toxicity - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

Overwatch News - "If you're a bad person doing bad things in Overwatch, we don't want you in Overwatch" stated Jeff Kaplan in the latest Developer Update. The entire focus of this most recent developer video is the rising tide of toxicity in the game. Kaplan informs the community that he and his team are aware of the "rising tide of toxicity" and are actively working to tune the system to reduce bad behavior.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    "Play nice, play fair" together with a picture of an evil assassin representing the exact opposite.
    DavodtheTutt
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Xarko said:
    "Play nice, play fair" together with a picture of an evil assassin representing the exact opposite.
    LOL -- just because your character may be "evil", doesn't mean you have to be an evil jerk behind the screen. :P
    XarkoAzaron_Nightbladealiven[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:

Xarko said:

LOL -- just because your character may be "evil", doesn't mean you have to be an evil jerk behind the screen. :P

Never said it does. Just wanted to point out a bit of irony. SO STOP BULLYING ME!
    [Deleted User]PhrySBFordKyleranAlomarAsm0deusMabushii[Deleted User]obii
  • geburahsangeburahsan Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited September 2017
    Fighting against toxicity is expecting to rise the ocean level by peeing on it. Unless you make something that motivates to people to be positive is a wasted effort Fixing the mess of matchmaker would be a good start, is hard to be on a good mood after being raped in the ass 10 games straight since you are either grouped with incompetents or are just totally outmatched. Stomp or be stomped games with a few fair games here and there is not a good combination for good behavior. And sometimes you want to play solo instead of having to play with friends full time to avoid the salt levels reaching maximun levels that most of the time happens while playing solo
    [Deleted User]Deadind[Deleted User]Psym0n
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    One of the biggest problems with a game becoming popular and having a large playerbase, is that you will always get the 'few' whose behaviour is not really acceptable anywhere.
    pantaroSBFord[Deleted User]Mabushii
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    edited September 2017
    Phry said:
    One of the biggest problems with a game becoming popular and having a large playerbase, is that you will always get the 'few' whose behaviour is not really acceptable anywhere.
    league of legends and WoW come to mind.which is why this is hilarious to me WoW's community has been garbage for years,smaller communities tend to embrace every new player.

ironically the one mmo that i cant stand the most (FF14) i've lost count of how many friendly players i came across in that game.so i gotta give that game credit for at least giving some kind of incentives for the vets to embrace the new players.
  • n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited September 2017
    The only thing that works in society against anarchy and crime is having rules and enforce them. Toxicity in competitive games is manly because of matchmaking which cannot ever be perfect. So what to do against weird comp selection? how to remove the salt associated with that? You reduce the choice, make 2-2-2 only available comp . Sure, the game will not sell that well, people will complain and Blizzard will lose money but hey, toxicity will be reduced. easy

You want to have choice, freedom? Deal will it. Stop being offended. Block. Ignore .... etc.
    KyleranmrputtsGreyhaven
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited September 2017

DMKano said:

Fighting against toxicity is expecting to rise the ocean level by peeing on it. Unless you make something that motivates to people to be positive is a wasted effort 

Bingo.

When you create an environment that breeds toxicity - you aren't going to change by "fighting it".

Kind of like saying "We are going to end violence" - and then you go and beat up people to end it.

Yeah....

You two are waaay around this.

"Create an environment that breeds toxicity" ?! The fuck is this ? If you are telling me that OW breeds toxicity then quit playing games.

"Fixing the mess of matchmaker would be a good start, is hard to be on a good mood after being raped in the ass 10 games straight since you are either grouped with incompetents or are just totally outmatched."
    The fuck is this?! If they "fix" the matchmaking exactly like you want, then you will be either : Playing solo or wait around 10+ minutes to play a match. Sure, you may say "I'd wait 10 minutes to play a good match". But then 2 things will happen : 1) Long waiting = QQ-ing that you wait more then you play and then you come to za forums and create a QQ post which will end in : I /quit !!!. 2) High chances to get at least 1 guy in your team , which has a bad day and fuck up the match, even if his skills ( on paper ) are good.

Please you 2 , read what @Phry said. Other theories like yours, has no place in here.
    KyleranAzaron_NightbladealivenMabushiinatpick

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Xarko said:
    SBFord said:
    Xarko said:

Never said it does. Just wanted to point out a bit of irony. SO STOP BULLYING ME!
    I still <3 you. ^^
    Guess I need to go kill stuff in OW now...but I'll do it with cookies and milk for all!
    PhryKyleranXarko

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

DMKano said:

Fighting against toxicity is expecting to rise the ocean level by peeing on it. Unless you make something that motivates to people to be positive is a wasted effort 

Bingo.

When you create an environment that breeds toxicity - you aren't going to change by "fighting it".

Kind of like saying "We are going to end violence" - and then you go and beat up people to end it.

Yeah....

No. You can stop toxicity by identifying and severely punishing offenders, simple as that.

Not necessarily easy or cheap to do, but is very doable.

SBFordAzaron_Nightbladenatpick

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    One idea I had is to allow players to rate other players behavior and skill levels even.

The matchmaking system could be set up so players could chose what level of toxicity and talent they wish to group with.

Some folks might not care, preferring quick matches regardess, others might hold out to wait for only matches with players of similar temperament or skill.

SBFord

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• helbinderhelbinder Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Remove PVP and you remove toxicity ^_^ easy
    AlomarmrputtsGobstopper3D[Deleted User]
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    people only trolling when game dont make them happy anymore

helbinder said:

Remove PVP and you remove toxicity ^_^ easy

If only. Just go any PUG dungeon in random MMO and you might see some hilarious/sad stuff. More like remove multiplayer. Id say remove the internet while you are at it, but now that Suzie finally declared her love for me, Im going to need it.
    Azaron_NightbladeSBFordAsm0deus[Deleted User]KyleranMabushii
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    This is clearly a case of not having a Mac version when the game launched... it's all the Mac users being forced to boot into a PC operating system venting their frustration at Blizzard.

Solution is simple, release a Mac version and harmony will once again return to the world.
    XarkocmacqMabushiiDavodtheTutt
  • helbinderhelbinder Member UncommonPosts: 4
    You forget about a Linux version... but we don't care :p
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    One of the things I did when making mods for FPS games was that I simply said "Enough is Enough" and Disabled the Chat-Box in Unreal Engine games and Quake Engine games early on. 

My servers became the heaviest and most-traveled servers because I had eliminated the following: 

~People swearing and hurling insults at each other.
    ~People venting to others
    ~Idiotic people complaining that they were killed while typing. 
    ~Random, Idle Chat turning game servers into Social Servers. 

The Mod encouraged the following: 

~More Structured Playing by getting teams to get VoIPs
    ~Less Liability by publisher/developer/modders to deal with toxic people. 
    ~Much greater emphasis on Server Administrators to look for real infractions worth a kick or ban.
    SBFordMabushiiLiljna
  • TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    I doubt they could fix society since that is where the problem lie.
    Also having played WoW many years, they never seemed to bother much with that subject.
    AlomarSBFordMabushii
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Toxic people need to be banned. Either permament bans, temporary bans or just ban from writing in chat/speak with mic UNLESS you are on his/her friends list. There is no other way around it. You dont negotiate with bullies, you take away that which give them power - in this case, option to verbally harass. If they start trolling on top of being offenders then you bring big guns and start temporary band, and with serious ones permament bans. 

System is simple. 
    DeVoDeVoKyleranMabushiiAzaron_Nightblade
  • ZenJellyZenJelly Member UncommonPosts: 261
    People complain too much. "Toxic" no matter how you toss it out there is subjective. Someone calling me trash or worse in a game has never and never will bother me. I read it, I mute them if I can and move on. It has never ruined a game. Major games also have things in place to catch and punish toxic AFK, which is really the one thing that gets me. If words in a chat box on the screen are ruining your game, the game must not be that good to begin with.
    mrputts
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

Shinami said:

One of the things I did when making mods for FPS games was that I simply said "Enough is Enough" and Disabled the Chat-Box in Unreal Engine games and Quake Engine games early on. 

My servers became the heaviest and most-traveled servers because I had eliminated the following: 

~People swearing and hurling insults at each other.
    ~People venting to others
    ~Idiotic people complaining that they were killed while typing. 
    ~Random, Idle Chat turning game servers into Social Servers. 

The Mod encouraged the following: 

~More Structured Playing by getting teams to get VoIPs
    ~Less Liability by publisher/developer/modders to deal with toxic people. 
    ~Much greater emphasis on Server Administrators to look for real infractions worth a kick or ban.

Yeah, I do this in Overwatch when playing QP or Arcade modes. Shift+Ctrl+C disables the chat. I also turn voice off. It makes it far more enjoyable for me. I get to play some matches, have fun, and don't have to listen to a disgruntled tween.
    SBFord
  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Block and Mute is all you need. Block=Person will not be matched with you (If enough block dude can't get a game) Mute= You don't see or hear from person.

If I payed you money, and I am being a shit bag in your game let the community remove me, not some bliz employee that may or may not be bias, having a bad day, or sensitive enough to be "outraged" on a player's behalf ruling with emotion.
    SBFord

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    edited September 2017
    Thing is, when I become toxic it's usually due to some fucker that decided to play attack torb into 2-3 tanks. Or when I get 2-3 Mercy one-tricks in my team and they can't play anything else at the SR they are at. That's fucking bullshit. Fucking boosted imbeciles. 

Games like those above just make me regret starting Overwatch because I start feeling like I'm wasting my time. The enemy team stomps us, it's not funny. There's no fun in getting ganged because half of your team is made up of retarded chimps and die as soon as the fucking doors open. 

This is what breeds toxicity Blizzard. Grouping decent people with imbeciles who do nothing but throw. Or DPS insta-pickers. Once I feel like I'm wasting my time, without getting ANY fun whatsoever in return, I become super freaking toxic. 

No punishment they have in store for me will change that. I have 3 accounts in high masters ffs ... 

P.S: Deathmatch mode certainly helps to get some enjoyment out of the game after having 2-3 cancerous maps in a row 
    BruceYee
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited September 2017
    Xarko said:
    Um that's "Play nice, play Phara..."
    Post edited by bcbully on
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    Any game that requires random people to work together will breed toxic behavior. People are going to get mad and the internet allows them to think they are unknown so can do as they want.

I wiped my friend list of a group of people who were bragging about cheating. I left all the ways I used to communicate with the people. I do not support it so did what I could including sending screenshots of them discussing it in game. I did what I could.

I use the report tools that games have. I can get frustrated and want to lash out. That is when I take a step back for a minute or two now and calm myself and generally hide or disable chat for a while. Competition is something can just look at sports players. Even with the punishments that happen there, fights still do break out. It is not going away. I do agree that the person talking about removing chat from his server made things easier is something I can believe helps.