Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AO at a recent realistic glance

AntitheftheroAntithefthero Member CommonPosts: 3

Atlantica online is a great title and I must say it has been a great pleasure to have played this game for the last 4 years.  To be more specific, it had been a pleasure to have played for the first year.

First of all, this is not a bad mmo to play.  It is a great mmo.  The contents in this game is enough to keep you occupied for a long time.  In fact it's so good, virtually everyone within the game is willing to spend their cash on the item malls.  This is where things go down hill.

This is the most expensive item mall mmo i have played or heard.  Since I don't want to include other mmo's out there (were specifically talking Atlantica Online), I will tell you that the amount you need to spend in real cash increases exponentially as you level starting from lvl 110.

From lvl 1-110, I have had a great time playing this mmo.  I never used IM, yet I was lucky enough to enhance some items through vulcanus and was able to thrive in free league (the pvp portion of Atlantica online).

When lvl 111 hit me, I was able to enter the top tier of free league, division 1.  The majority of the people in division 1 were lvl 130-140s.  The difference in power was incomparable.  This is when the item mall siren's call comes to your head.  As I sat there pondering about my first nexon credit purchase, I came to a realization that I had 2 choices:  Spend the next 2 years getting the level and the gears that the top dogs owned (by that time those guys will be even greater), or spend cash at the item mall and catch up within a month or two.  Since I was so enthralled with the game, I chose the latter.  4 years later, I spent a few thousand dollars.  Enough to buy a car.  Was it worth it?  No.  Reason being is I had just as much satisfaction playing a subscription-based mmo tital and paid only $250 total in a span of 3 years. 

All the titles for Nexon has one crucial element for their past success:  gambling.  Anyone thats been playing their titles know what I mean.  The items you purchase from item mall are usually boxes that contain random prizes.  Everyone wants the best prizes, of course.  Unfortunately it is incredibly rare.  You need to either be lucky, or spend tons to finally win the prize.  In Atlantica Online, we have whats called Vulcanus and Atlas ores.  You can either enhance your equipment to the next level, or lose it all (with atlas ore, you simply lose precious atlas ores).  When players lose and they have the cash to spend, they usually go straight to the item mall to make up for their losses.  Brilliant job, Nexon.  And I was one of those guys.

The other half of the reason why we are leaving Atlantica is that a new title came out in the final fantasy series that is taking the mmo world by storm.  It allows you to play with console users making it the most massive mmo community in history.  Sadly, the game itself is superior to Atlantica Online.

Nexon decided to respond by adding in another sale onto their item mall, allowing you to purchase and win atlas ores at a bargain.  But that is all their doing.  For the past 6 months, they've been pumping new contents into IM than ever before.  Instead of trying to keep their existing players by adding better content, fix glitches, and respond to player demands, they are trying to make you spend more cash.  What this shows me is that their trying to cash in and cash out because they can't hang with the competition.  They will close this game and look for other lucrative titles.  This is very common amongst free-to-play mmos and Atlantica online is no different.

This is why I and other top spenders of this game have decided to end our accounts for good and move onto an mmo that offers much better content without having to spend hundreds and thousands to stay on par with the top guys.  I know we've invested a lot into our accounts but it will prevent us from making the mistake of returning to this game which cost us a lot of money.  This game is designed to give everyone a great sense of urgency to hit the item mall.  The announcements, the imbalance in PVP (purposely designed to make lower levels spend money in item mall), the lucky prize winner in-game pop ups, etc. is enough pressure to make a grown man want to actually pay an obscene amount of cash to get nexon cash.  Imagine how it is for a 12-18 year old.

Here is an honest, genuine advice from someone that truly is looking out for everyone out there.  Stay away from this mmo.  This game is coming to a close.  You won't see many of the top guys in free league no more.  Bots flourish.  The item mall influence will scream at you if this game survives long enough for you to reach lvl 110.  Either you pay money, or you spend the next few years playing catch up only to realize that your still far behind from the best.

Have fun, everyone.

Allerleirauh

Comments

• redjohn22redjohn22 Member Posts: 11

For a "realistic" glance of the game, log in and try it.  People will form various opinions on games like this, a lot of which will revolve around the type of guilds you hang with.

While a lot of what you said was true, a lot of it was assumptions...game is closing etc etc.  While North American financial outlook isn't something for Nexon to jump up and down about, it's still same pace at a fairly stable basis.  So no I doubt the game is anywhere near closing, it's still making way more profit than some older titles are that are still running and still running decently, from a profit stand point.  Visit the official site for the breakdown of this.

The pvp does need changed, but why do people always say you have to spend thousands of dollars to compete in there?  I never have and I do fairly well, I just suck at the tactics aspect with certain peoples formations.  Those item mall items are intended to get people to use it, and more often.  Most people know that and either choose or don't choose to go for them.  Those items shelf life in game are never long, it's best to not bother with them, as the gain is good and only that.  They lose themselves really quickly with new tier items u can get from crafting, so then you are stuck with a overpowered pve type weapon more than anything.  Officers shotgun, then Lucifer rifle, now a soon to be craftable judgment gun.  Still a pvp major content patch to come, maybe that will fix some things as well.

Atlas and Vulc are the quickest ways, if u want to gamble and have a lucky streak , to get to where you said, but not the only.  The atlas sale in itself was well known was coming for anyone that has played for years, as you claimed, it's done the same time frame almost every year, with some exceptions.

The game goes up and down with player base, as will any grinding style game.  Recently they increased guild member cap by 40 people for maxed level guilds.  Good and bad to this, but the player base has still been relatively stable as well.

Final Fantasy is a good game, but to compare the 2.......both games total opposite of each other, including being sub based vs item mall.  Turn based vs the norm style play.

It is a grind game, so it will take a lot of time to catch up, but people are hitting max levels in under a year, pretty fair compared to the fact some people have played for 5 years and when you hit max level...you get to keep that experience which carries over for them.

Customer service on this game, and a lot of Nexons, is horrid.  Doubt anyone can dispute that.  Even the community manager hasn't made a post in over a month.  They have begun to hire a few more tho, maybe it will get better, I won't to be optimistic but I doubt that, as well.

Lastly, this game has churned out more events, and given away more item mall type stuff in past 15months than most games ever have in a 4-5 year period.  Not saying all were awesome, but they still provided the content,  6 major patches with content happening now, with maybe a surprise one once the anniversary hits.

• SagonatorSagonator Member UncommonPosts: 12
    :o

Here is the opinion from other side. Played nearly 2 years and a half. Never spent a dine. Tier (0) rank. I even reached semi finals on grand championship. Might - 3.4m . Lvl - maxed with merces avaible to wear last tier equipment.

I have 1 alt give to me as a gift and he provides me with some ok cash.

The thing about this "pay to win" thing is not that game is like that, but the players are desperate to get competitive fast. Thats the real thing about AO. The game is huge and you must invest time in order to achieve something. Believe me, getting fast power leveled from IM with latest gear will get you nowhere. Will still need 2-3 months at least to constant join pvp to learn anything. So why trying desperate to reach the top and be clueless? Well my friends, thats the problem with any new mmorpg player. This is no MOBA style game where you can get everything in no time. In fact, thats old school mmorpg, where you have to invest a lot of your time to achieve and learn something. My advice is to go and play for fun. Never try to get competitive as soon as you can. Find a guild, enjoy the time spent, never play more than you desire just to get ahead by little :) I am myself playing around 4-6 hrs per day top. During week 2-3.

• AntitheftheroAntithefthero Member CommonPosts: 3

Leveling to 160 doesn't necessarily determine your free-league strength.  There are guys with lvl 130 gears that are stronger than most 160s.  Without IM, you cannot expect to catch up to the top players.  Please note, I'm talking about the TOP players, not the mediocre ones that that nobody remembers.

Virtually everything you can win from the events are either temporary items, non-trade items, or IM items that are incredibly rare to win.

As for the guy who claims he reached Division 0 without ever IM'ing while playing for only 2.5 years playing 4-6hours, he was merely stating a bogus claim.  What he states is impossible.  You cannot make enough gold, let alone reach lvl 160, with what he claims.

Don't say I didn't warn you folks.  There are other F2P titles that does not require even a fraction of the cost of this game.

• AntitheftheroAntithefthero Member CommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by Sagonator

Here is the opinion from other side. Played nearly 2 years and a half. Never spent a dine. Tier (0) rank. I even reached semi finals on grand championship. Might - 3.4m . Lvl - maxed with merces avaible to wear last tier equipment.

I have 1 alt give to me as a gift and he provides me with some ok cash.

The thing about this "pay to win" thing is not that game is like that, but the players are desperate to get competitive fast. Thats the real thing about AO. The game is huge and you must invest time in order to achieve something. Believe me, getting fast power leveled from IM with latest gear will get you nowhere. Will still need 2-3 months at least to constant join pvp to learn anything. So why trying desperate to reach the top and be clueless? Well my friends, thats the problem with any new mmorpg player. This is no MOBA style game where you can get everything in no time. In fact, thats old school mmorpg, where you have to invest a lot of your time to achieve and learn something. My advice is to go and play for fun. Never try to get competitive as soon as you can. Find a guild, enjoy the time spent, never play more than you desire just to get ahead by little :) I am myself playing around 4-6 hrs per day top. During week 2-3.

Your claim here is completely bogus.  I guess you are simply trying to make sure AO doesn't die by fooling new players into thinking you can reach the top without IM.  You just made my day.  Hilarious!

Are you sure? Why dont you try me? Players these days are so sad... All of them except to get money without putting 0 effords... The fact so many players think you cannot do anything without IM is so sad... so sad. I dont want  to start a flame topic so I'll stop here. If you want to talk with me meet me ingame and see for urself - DeathQueeNBG/Argos. 
  • SmashixSmashix Member UncommonPosts: 91

Just because YOU (OP antithefthero) couldn't hack it without spending tons of cash doesn't mean it can't be done.

Is it tempting to make things easier by spending some cash? Of course, and that's how Nexon makes its money, and I'm glad they are, otherwise I couldn't play this excellent game for mostly free. Are some things easier if you spend money on the IM (item mall), sure. Are they necessary? No.

To be fair, the OP does talk a lot about PvP, and having really good gear is far more important there than for PvE, so I'm sure there is a lot of incentive to spend money if you want to become a top PvP player quickly.

If you don't mind spending the time, nothing is off limits in Atlantica Online for free. No content is locked, no mounts or gear or mercenaries are cash shop only, you can buy anything you can get from the item mall in game, you just need to earn the gold for it.

There are frequent sales where you can get expensive items for much less money. Several times I have received item mall mercs from $5 sales boxes instead of paying the regular $70 price tag for item mall mercenaries. Some of them I kept, some I sold to pay for other things I wanted (like skills for those mercs). Those $5 boxes available during sales always give either a merc or at least 100 Atlas Ore, which right now sells for 60-70 million each on my server, so at minimum you will get 6 billion gold from a $5 box. That buys a lot of gear (yeah sure, less at higher levels).

AO also constantly has events where you get expensive stuff for free (usually non-trade, so you can't sell it to other players) like experience licenses, mercenaries, etc.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I like the post and agree with most of it.

I think Atlantica is unique and awesome.  But it sorely needs a reboot.  Needs to start over from the ground up with an Atlantica 2 and make it a bit less IM dependent. 

• atlanticavalofeatlanticavalofe Member CommonPosts: 1

Greetings, Our Beloved Atlantians! To all those who still stay playing with us, we salute you! You deserve a gift from our giftaway event <3 <3 <3 You will be drawn to choose one of the following prizes
    Incarnation of Archangel Card x10 (100 Winners)
    Arachnid's Treasure x10 (100 Winners)
    Archangel Wings Decoration Box x10 (50 Winners)
    Archangel Outfit Box x20 (100 Winners)
    Grim Ripper Package x1 (50 Winners)
    Carmilla's Cursed Coffin x1 (No Trade) (50 Winners)
    Christine's Sheriff Badge x1 (No Trade) (50 Winners
    Total 500 Atlantians will get our giftaway prizes, are you the one? Please register yourself at our giftaway site For more details, kindly please follow link below

Thank you very much! ❤ Regards, VALOFE SUPPORT Team
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Same... AO at recent glance, I thought "haven't played AO since last year, let's see some recent feedbacks".
    And it's a different A O, with a 4 years old post...
    :lol: