Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Greatest MMORPGs of All Time - 2017 Edition - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    S-mmo said:
    Making a top of best mmos all time whit no Lineage and Lineage 2? you most joking.I dont want to insult you but you have no fucking idea wtf you saying . And you put FF14 in the last place??!?! no comment just pathetic.
    Yeah man, those opinions, how could they. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Asheram[Deleted User]Robsolf
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    S-mmo said:
    Making a top of best mmos all time whit no Lineage and Lineage 2? you most joking.I dont want to insult you but you have no fucking idea wtf you saying . And you put FF14 in the last place??!?! But you place ESO in 7 ??!!no comment just pathetic.
    "In short, it’s not scientific, definitive, or in any way gospel. Our Top 10 Great MMOs of All Time list is merely our own thoughts, put to paper. We absolutely welcome your own insight, and soon we’ll begin a poll of our users to catalog the Players’ Choice for 2017 too."

DavodtheTutt
  • RufusUORufusUO Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I gave WoW a go back in late 2009, when they were offering free two-week trials with a lvl 20 character cap. I was waiting to deploy and had a lot of time on my hands, so I figured I'd check it out. I made two characters and quickly capped them out. When I went to log in on day 15 and it prompted me to pay, it took just a few seconds of consideration to close the program and never consider it again.

I know that might upset people who spend thousands of hours in WoW and love it, but I just didn't find the game captivating enough. Too linear, too grindy, too many boring quests. I don't know what the game is like today, but it could be different. I had a lot of friends that played (and still play) it... just didn't seem right for me.

I've played other MMOs, some great, some lackluster. Tibia, Runescape, Aion, ESO, UO. I'm currently eyeballing Black Desert Online and Albion Online. AO seems interesting mainly because I could potentially play on my tablet. I'm just way too busy right now to get involved with an MMO, which is why I haven't jumped right in but also why I'm considering AO.

Anyone around that's tried both BDO and AO and can give some insight?
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    koldmiser said:
    And to this day there is still no valid reason City of Heroes was shut down. If they suddenly decided to relaunch it as F2P I think the number of players that would flock to it would be amazing.
    Yes there is, it just doesn't happen to be a reason you want to hear. 

Companies don't shut down games for no reason. Most likely they decided the cost of doing business outweighed the revenue. Sorry, but that's a very valid reason.

Also, they lost roughly 7 mil in revenue that quarter. At the same time they were counting on GW2 to "fix" their losses. If you had shareholders breathing down your back demanding no more lost revenue, then cutting costs is the way to go. 

Let's see. Aging game with subscriber plateau or new game with lots of potential? 

They made the right choice. 
    Gorwe

• subxaerosubxaero Member UncommonPosts: 94
    edited September 2017
    Decent list
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    koldmiser said:
    And to this day there is still no valid reason City of Heroes was shut down. If they suddenly decided to relaunch it as F2P I think the number of players that would flock to it would be amazing.

Companies don't shut down games for no reason. Most likely they decided the cost of doing business outweighed the revenue. Sorry, but that's a very valid reason.

Also, they lost roughly 7 mil in revenue that quarter. At the same time they were counting on GW2 to "fix" their losses. If you had shareholders breathing down your back demanding no more lost revenue, then cutting costs is the way to go. 

Let's see. Aging game with subscriber plateau or new game with lots of potential? 

NCsoft made some strange choices though.  They dropped Tabula Rasa before it even really got started.  I remember even Auto Assault and Dungeon Runners both didn't really last all that long. We're looking at a year span on each of them from launch to close, and these weren't bad games really.  Sure they needed some support, but we've seen far worse games "release" since then. 

This was before the free to play liberation of games though.  I'd like to think if NCSoft wasn't so set on forcing subscriptions at the time we would have seen these games stick around and actually make some decent money. 

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    It's difficult to make a list like this.  It tends to look towards ill-defined past instances where specific games were at their peak, and ignores the case of the current state of the game.  That seems to be the case with Bill's post.

Who would put EQ1 in its current state in a top 10 list?  It was great, but now is bloated and dying.  Twenty years of almost pointless expansions have done that.  EQ1 isn't the game it once was.  When putting it on a list like this, does that include only the original game, or does it include expansions?  If so, what expansion is being hailed as the pinnacle of the EQ1 experience?  There's a reason that most of Daybreak's EQ1 'progression' servers end with the game at popular expansions.  Later expansions, like House of Thule and The Buried Sea, are pretty much abandoned in the 'main' game.  Players generally either experienced these expansions when they were new, or were driven off beforehand.

Relishing in past glories doesn't address the decline in quality of MMORPGs.  A list including discontinued games is certainly looking wistfully backward.  That doesn't drive the genre forward.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 102
    Great list! Though I agree that AC should be on there for sure. I am also 'still' really fond of SWTOR. I've played everything on the list (and a multitude of other mmos) extensively except City of Heroes.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Sovrath said:

Lord of the Rings Online? The fact that this didn't make the list makes me sad. :(

I played Lord of the Rings Online over World of Warcraft and even I wouldn't put it on this list.

Certainly is MUCH better than Final Fantasy!  Only one on the list I disagreed with.  I have tried FF14 multiple times and it is still a weak link!
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    koldmiser said:

They were not losing money.  They had a new game coming out and could use the server space.  So an old game bringing in X profit vs new game bringing in N*X amount makes sense.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    I feel that FFXI deserves to be on this list above FFXIV, but that's only because I played both extensively.

To each their own. I'm jealous you found 10 MMOs you enjoyed playing for long periods of time.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    I'm glad City of Heroes made the list.
  • OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    I think Anarchy Online definitely belongs on this list.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    This is my list of the ones I personally enjoyed the most:

10. WAR
    9. SWTOR
    8. AC
    7. WOW
    6. LOTRO
    5. GW2
    4. Rift
    3. TSW
    2, ESO
    1. DAoC

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    I've played all of the games on this list, and probably beta (or alpha) tested a good portion of them. I agree with most of the rankings, except for SWG. It should be much higher IMO.

WoW has been both good (more games) and bad (too many games) for the market. Game developers see the success Blizzard had and strive to match. The problem is, WoW is an anomaly that probably won't happen again. Call it what you will, but WoW dropped at the right time. EQ was still going strong and you had the "EQ is better" games out there. Enter WoW. An accessible game that already had a large fanbase due to Warcraft 1-3.

The next best thing will be a game with action based combat, open world, with no/light themepark, and destructible terrain.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited September 2017
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    The lack of LOTRO is a little disconcerting...
    It's not. It's not a "greatest game". It is one of my top 3 mmo's but if someone asked me to write a piece on what I thought the top 3 "greatest mmorpg's" were I wouldn't include it. Sadly there is nothing great about it. Except its community.

Not because I don't like it but because greatest must be more than "I like it".

there are many things I don't like but I recognize their impact, their superb construction, how iconic they are and their impact.

Greatest should encompass more than "favorite" if one is to speak about beyond my own nose.

I would even go so far as to say the order doesn't matter. More the idea of the group.

Someone could rebuke you rather easily. To some, it's not about some technical and / or objective reasons why something's good. To some, their personal enjoyment and fulfilment trumps any logical reason.

Guess you chose rationality. ;)
    That's great and they should, that's why we are having this discussion.

And I didn't really choose rationality just a stance that can be discussed. Having a degree in music and spending most my life in the arts has afforded me a certain perspective when looking at any creative endeavor. When actually looking at the breadth of work, who created what, why and when and what was going on at the time of creation including reaction by the audience causes one to think beyond "I really like it".

People on these boards like to use the word "depth". Well then let's talk depth!

If you asked me what my favorite mmo's are I would tell you but so what. There is no discussion there other than I agree/I disagree. Heck, the discussion can even turn to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxAEo3CWeq8

But discussing the features, development, the contributions of and the influences of various games lends to greater discussion and can even be eye opening.

So sure "to me" greatest has to be more than "I really like it".

That's why I can say that a game I don't like is greater than a game I do like.

Post edited by Sovrath on
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DewulfDewulf Member UncommonPosts: 139
    City of Heroes and Star Wars Galaxies should not even be in the list, those games died for a reason.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Well I'm a little suprised that Runescape didn't make the list. I didn't play it a lot back than and it is not an important game for me. But it is one of the biggest mmorpg's on the market for more than 10 years and it is the only real old school mmo which still popular.
  • calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    koldmiser said:

Got to agree on this one. I loved CoH and CoV as well since they let me play as a superhero of my choosing. While I thought the game was good and it filled an interest to me, I have to say the gameplay was flimsy at best. It was basically get a quest, go to instance, defeat everyone, turn in quest, repeat. I think once they introduced crafting and anti-heros things started getting more interesting for me but by that time the coffin lid was already sliding over.

koldmiser said:
    If they were making the money they wanted given the resources and effort put into the game they would never have closed it.

People have to realize that companies are really easy to figure out.

If you look at your retirement fund or "whatever" and see that it's not making you money you are going to pull your investment and put it into something else.

If people look at NC Soft and see it's not making them money they are going to put it into something else. No difference.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Seems about right. I've prolly got more time in any 1 of the four I love than all the rest combined.

koldmiser said:

NCsoft made some strange choices though.  They dropped Tabula Rasa before it even really got started.  I remember even Auto Assault and Dungeon Runners both didn't really last all that long. We're looking at a year span on each of them from launch to close, and these weren't bad games really.  Sure they needed some support, but we've seen far worse games "release" since then. 

This was before the free to play liberation of games though.  I'd like to think if NCSoft wasn't so set on forcing subscriptions at the time we would have seen these games stick around and actually make some decent money. 
    This could be a korean thing.

I remember reading about a korean car manufacturer that sent their people to their California (I think it was CA) Office and essentially fired a good many people in one fell swoop and no one saw it coming.

I don't think they have too much tolerance for "letting it ride ... "
    maskedweasel

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    edited September 2017
    Although I find it sad the direction Wow took through it's expansions and today's product is something I wouldn't even consider a successor to the original version, I have to agree Wow is a solid # 1.

There is a passion among the player base like no other on emulators. I play vanilla Wow and after trying BDO for a couple months it has become clear to me that cash shop mmos simply cannot, by design and purpose, create the games we once had. It changes too many fundamental design elements which destroys the very concept of an immersive mmorpg experience.

Vanilla Wow, despite all the controversy, exists because of how damn good it was despite it's flaws (flaws addressed of course in expansions but were largely 2 steps forward, 1 step back). It is driving the development of more modern, nigh-professional game cores capable of cross server and progression through multiple expansions. The controversy is why this even needs to be a controversy in the first place. A huge audience exists who want to play Wow from day 1 through all it's expansions again yet Blizzard appears to ignore this demand.

Fact remains that the demand for it exists and on a level no other mmorpg has even if their developers officially sanction emulators of their older designs. There is an audience out there who only think that it's illegal and therefore it shouldn't exist. They miss the point entirely and IF it were legal would come to the same conclusion and the hundreds of thousands who played Wow emulators: the older versions were flat out a better game.
    [Deleted User]

You stay sassy!

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    waynejr2 said:
    koldmiser said:

They were not losing money.  They had a new game coming out and could use the server space.  So an old game bringing in X profit vs new game bringing in N*X amount makes sense.
    You're right. They weren't losing money. They already lost money. ~7 mil. CoH obviously wasn't paying the bills. Investors aren't going to sit back and take a chance on a new game. They're going to say, "OK you've got a new game coming out. What are you going to do to ensure you don't lose money next quarter?"

They probably shut it down to safeguard against a loss if GW2 didn't do as well as they hoped. Damage control.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Good list, I would replace ESO with GW2 though.