Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massive Theft from Circle of Two Lights Up the EVE Sky - EVE Online News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMassive Theft from Circle of Two Lights Up the EVE Sky - EVE Online News

The Judge, once an integral part of one of EVE Online's biggest alliances (Circle of Two), has just perpetrated what many believe is the largest theft in the game's history. The Judge has since joined The Imperium alliance and dragged along about 1.5 trillion ISK as well as a

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    These knobs just backstabbed their 2nd coalition in recent years, it's about time they got what they deserved. I've flown with several of their corps over the years, but Gigx was such a toxic leader Eve is better off without him. This news makes me want to resub, boy there's no drama like Eve drama.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]holdenhamlet
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Are you sure 1.5 mil is right?

I played solo and my toon has over a billion ISK.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Ack I'd corrected it in the original article, but it doesn't automatically correct it on the forum thread. Doing so now. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    hell yeah the drama what made games back in the olds days fun kinda what made them mmorpgs like the realm,UO, even old everquest days. eve is literally the only game left thats hung on to those old school days of mmos what makes it great.
    AlomarpantaroKyleran[Deleted User]
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    The Mitani, a rather loud voice within The Imperium, wrote, "Aryth and The Judge send their regards -- Prepare for a PR-style hellcamp -- Hictors needed on deck -- Vengeance -- VENGEAAAAAAAAANCEEEEEEEEEE".

This person once when he found out that someone at an Eve event was suicidal he and the goons conspired to egg that person on. His perma ban was lifted.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    These guys don't realize how many people leave the game over stuff like this.  CCP and Eve are not doing particularly well as of late and the last thing they need is more players abandoning ship.
    GdemamibcbullyAlomarKyleranholdenhamlet
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

As it sits CO2 members lost everything. They are selling what they can before their assets get moved to another station by in game mechanics. They will pay 1/3 of the value to get access to it. But that new station will be hell camped. 6-8 months to get back to where they were and what they lost.

This was a killing blow.
  • KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137

Talonsin said:

These guys don't realize how many people leave the game over stuff like this.  CCP and Eve are not doing particularly well as of late and the last thing they need is more players abandoning ship.

Meh, it has had a good life. Probably better to slowly sink this way than put themselves in a NGE situation. As someone who never could get into EVE, i assumed this is what kept the people still around playing.
    Kyleran
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Talonsin said:

Happenings like this usually result in a player influx, so I suspect CCP are quite contend with the situation.
    GdemamiAlomarKyleran
  • toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Eve was always full of fudgeholes and scumbags. This kinda antics is normal. What can you say about a game that lets players instakill new players all day long. The devs are just as scummy as the pop in most cases.
    GdemamiAlomarKyleranApridise
    hfztt said:

Talonsin said:

Happenings like this usually result in a player influx, so I suspect CCP are quite contend with the situation.

No it doesn't. Big wars where ships go boom creats an influx. And for the record the majority of the last mad influx has left.

Back to the current drama....

someone posted this on the Eve forums.
    "I have had a family member commit suicide. I have struggled with depression my entire life. I don’t think half of you understand how hard it is to do simple things when you are extremely depressed. Just to get out of bed, to brush your teeth, to clean up the damn house. Depression that can lead to suicide is a very real thing in the gaming world. CCP I am absolutely ashamed of the way you handled Mittani back in the day".

someone else responded.....

Was it your child?

I know how you feel. I had a pet commit suicide, once. It was a goldfish. He ate himself to death. I think he had an eating disorder.

This is Eve.
    GdemamiAlomar
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Talonsin said:

This is why people join.
    pantaroholdenhamlet
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Makes it the biggest theft in the history of the game.

At market value, we would be talking around 30,000$ USD.
    holdenhamlet
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    hfztt said:

Talonsin said:

No it doesn't. Big wars where ships go boom creats an influx. And for the record the majority of the last mad influx has left.

Back to the current drama....

someone posted this on the Eve forums.
    "I have had a family member commit suicide. I have struggled with depression my entire life. I don’t think half of you understand how hard it is to do simple things when you are extremely depressed. Just to get out of bed, to brush your teeth, to clean up the damn house. Depression that can lead to suicide is a very real thing in the gaming world. CCP I am absolutely ashamed of the way you handled Mittani back in the day".

someone else responded.....

Was it your child?

I know how you feel. I had a pet commit suicide, once. It was a goldfish. He ate himself to death. I think he had an eating disorder.

This is Eve.
    Yup. That is EVE.

And with that in mind you need to think long and hard about how truthful the first post where. Not saying it was not, but do not assume that it was. The meta in eve is staggering.

Poster number two obviously had reached the conclusion that the first poster had ulterior motives for his post and thus deflated it.

If he was wrong, you, that is a horrible answer. If he was right on the money, that is a perfect answer.

That is EVE.
    AlomarGdemami
  • MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Hard to believe there are no controls to stop a single player destroying a massive corporation by stealing and selling everything off. Its like its designed to create maximum chaos and publicity.

I mean there must surely be a temptation at all of the biggest corps to replicate this since not only is there a massive financial incentive but the infamy that goes along with being the person who stole the most. Plus it creates paranoia with people thinking i'd better get in first before someone else does since its pretty inevitable that its eventually going to happen.
    Gdemami
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    bcbully said:

Talonsin said:

This is why people join.
    gotta agree,i love reading about what players do in eve. I can't think of any other mmo that i even care about what players do like that!
    Kyleran
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    pantaro said:
    bcbully said:

Talonsin said:

This is why people join.
    gotta agree,i love reading about what players do in eve. I can't think of any other mmo that i even care about what players do like that!
    I have to agree as well, I do enjoy reading about Eve drama.

That said, there is no way in HELL I would ever think about playing this trainwreck of a "video game"

People do leave because of this nonsense.
    Alomar
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Mykell said:
    Hard to believe there are no controls to stop a single player destroying a massive corporation by stealing and selling everything off. Its like its designed to create maximum chaos and publicity.
    That's because you're coming from a unicorns and rainbows theme park mindset. This is the way EvE is designed and always has been. It's not for those with delicate dispositions. 
    Alomar

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Makes it the biggest theft in the history of the game.

At market value, we would be talking around 30,000$ USD.
    A pittance when you consider one donor in COE spent $40K for kingships in a non existent game.

There are players in EVE who wield trillions of ISK all by themselves, likely this alliance contains some.

The bigger loss is their leader getting perma banned as most of these big organizations thrive due to the cult of personality around their often eccentric leaders.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Mykell said:

I mean there must surely be a temptation at all of the biggest corps to replicate this since not only is there a massive financial incentive but the infamy that goes along with being the person who stole the most. Plus it creates paranoia with people thinking i'd better get in first before someone else does since its pretty inevitable that its eventually going to happen.
    There are controls to prevent such thefts if the CEO choses to use them. 

Thing is, running a corp or worse an alliance is a big effort, so to ease the burden power is often shared with trusted members and this the result.

A few years ago I flew over a year with a trusted officer in our corp who had complete access to our shared assets.

One day he decided our alliance wronged him somehow and he took it on our corp for some reason and stole everyones ships and the corp wallet.

He tried to make some weird excuses about how the corp leader was to blame, but when pressed to give back players personal ships he declined.

We stalked him for a bit until he sold his accounts and CCP confirmed the characters were owned by a different player. (As we were still stalking until then)

No idea what possesses people to betray others,  assets weren't worth that much (most of my ships were stored in a private POS) and I joined with other long time players to buy ships for those in corp who lost most of theirs. 

Life goes on, most of us still kept playing as the drama is what EVE is all about.

I'd consider going back but just haven't found anything new worth returning for.

Heck, maybe I should give corporate espionage a go.  ;)

Kidding...don't have it in me.

Alomar

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

Mykell said:

That's because you're coming from a unicorns and rainbows theme park mindset. This is the way EvE is designed and always has been. It's not for those with delicate dispositions. 

Mate i've played plenty of hardcore pvp games where you lose everything like Darkfall, Mortal Online, ARK etc and i'm fine with it but imo having 1 person with so much power and incentive just leads to stuff like this.

I call it bad design but it works for EVE (i guess) so as long as it keeps those crazies in there and playing i've totally fine with it.