Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated PvP Server Announced, Oktoberfest Ramping Up - Black Desert Online - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageDedicated PvP Server Announced, Oktoberfest Ramping Up - Black Desert Online - MMORPG.com

Black Desert Online News - Kakao Games and Pearl Abyss have announced that a dedicated PvP server will be coming soon with new rules that "negate the karma loss players normally receive after killing another player". The goal is to bring open-world PvP to the forefront on this server. Feedback was provided by the Russian community after a recent test period. The PvP server will be live once this week's maintenance is complete.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Well I still think a lot of open world PvP was happening on the normal servers, so I don't see what the point of this specific server would be other than to have a bunch of people running around killing each-other with no repercussions.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    They also added four more NORMAL servers. Which is something that deserves to be mentioned too. I'll be glad for the additional space. Things had gotten a liiiiitle too crowded since the Steam launch!

Also, a big "HAH!" to those who still try to claim that the game isn't doing well, and that the only metric that counts are new servers being added! Time to come up with a new excuse as to claim the game population isn't booming. It isn't the first time they've added servers either.
    [Deleted User]holdenhamletLumicron

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    What exactly is the point?  Maybe PvP from level one?  That would be a shitshow
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited September 2017
    Does the PVP start at earlier levels?
    TheScavenger
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    The PVP Channel is just for the fun of open world PvP without any disadvantages like the karma system. So, if you want some quick fights you can just change into this channel and go ham. I really like that. It doesnt disturb our fellow carebare life skillers and gives PvPers more options to have fun. Great addition.
    BitterClinger

Hodor!

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    They also added four more NORMAL servers. Which is something that deserves to be mentioned too. I'll be glad for the additional space. Things had gotten a liiiiitle too crowded since the Steam launch!

Also, a big "HAH!" to those who still try to claim that the game isn't doing well, and that the only metric that counts are new servers being added! Time to come up with a new excuse as to claim the game population isn't booming. It isn't the first time they've added servers either.
    The game does seem to have staying power and seems to be pretty much one of the main mmorpgs out these days in terms of population and active interest.

I've tried it a couple of times and never got into it, but I can see why people enjoy it -- large open world, fun combat. I just didn't feel the lore/world/characters I need personally to get involved in a game. But I can see where people don't need that if they would rather a more sandbox type of experience where the only lore and characters that matter are other players/guilds.

I'm glad this is filling the need for a gaming home for a lot of people.

d_20 said:

The game does seem to have staying power and seems to be pretty much one of the main mmorpgs out these days in terms of population and active interest.

I've tried it a couple of times and never got into it, but I can see why people enjoy it -- large open world, fun combat. I just didn't feel the lore/world/characters I need personally to get involved in a game. But I can see where people don't need that if they would rather a more sandbox type of experience where the only lore and characters that matter are other players/guilds.

Lore/story is sadly one of the areas where it's very much lacking. If we could get a BDO/ESO or BDO/GW2 hybrid, taking the best of both worlds - I'd be a very, very happy gamer. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. Asian devs are friggin' great with graphical stuff, while the Western ones excel at story content.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

What exactly is the point?  Maybe PvP from level one?  That would be a shitshow

No it wouldn't. At least not for people who wanted pvp from level 1. Heck, Lineage 2 had pvp from level one and it was some of the more interesting pvp in the game for those actually around that level as no one was really very overpowered.

We need to stop this thinking that every game should be for every person and that everyone actually likes the same things.

I applaud this effort as there are people who think pvp should not have a karma system and that karma systems stymie pvp. That the consequences are more in line with gaining the wrath of other clans/factions.

Not really my opinion but I know players who do think this way.

Heck, maybe this will remove those players from other servers, those who "cry" about being karma bombed
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited September 2017

d_20 said:

Lore/story is sadly one of the areas where it's very much lacking. If we could get a BDO/ESO or BDO/GW2 hybrid, taking the best of both worlds - I'd be a very, very happy gamer. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. Asian devs are friggin' great with graphical stuff, while the Western ones excel at story content.

hmmm, we need less story. ONe of the reasons I think Elder Scrolls Online is almost unplayable (for me). Quest after quest, it gets so tiring.

Lore? There is quite a bit of lore in Black Desert, but one learns it through taking many of the quests (which I don't like) or paying attention to the cues around the game.

One of the reasons I changed my Valkyrie's hair to red ...
    holdenhamlet[Deleted User]Mikeha

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Sovrath said:

d_20 said:

hmmm, we need less story. ONe of the reasons I think Elder Scrolls Online is almost unplayable (for me). Quest after quest, it gets so tiring.

Lore? There is quite a bit of lore in Black Desert, but one learns it through taking many of the quests (which I don't like) or paying attention to the cues around the game.

Oh yeah, there's tons of it. The presentation is just a lot different from on most MMOs.
    I've got almost 450 energy from collecting knowledge in game. It's cool to read hints about regions that aren't in game yet too; like the Snowlands south of Valencia, where [spoiler] is from!

I do like story content, but there should be a feasible alternative for those that don't care for it, yeah. Either straight up grinding, or world events a la GW2.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    The unfortunate truth is too many people think they want PvP instead of actually wanting PvP.

Soon the usual complaints will start and they'll move back to their old servers, leaving the dedicated PvPers wondering where everyone went.
    TalonsinSovrath

Sovrath said:

d_20 said:

Oh yeah, there's tons of it. The presentation is just a lot different from on most MMOs.
    I've got almost 450 energy from collecting knowledge in game. It's cool to read hints about regions that aren't in game yet too; like the Snowlands south of Valencia, where [spoiler] is from!

I do like story content, but there should be a feasible alternative for those that don't care for it, yeah. Either straight up grinding, or world events a la GW2.
    That's very true. And you have wayyyyy more energy than I have. I'm more about leveling and collecting money to buy my gear.

And I agree, there should always be alternatives to Story content. Don't get me wrong, I love quests (though think the word "questing" is a dirty word in context of these games) but they are never that great when developers try to get THOUSANDS OF QUESTS into their games and I'd much rather have fewer but better quests. And then ignore them when I want to I can go out and BE in the world.

holdenhamletAzaron_Nightblade

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    What I found about Black Desert was that there was a great potential for some really interesting lore given the visuals and races and set up but so little is shown or I have not been able to discover much by interacting with some NPCs. I am saddened that more time and resources was not devoted to lore given the rich canvas.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

gwei1984 said:

The PVP Channel is just for the fun of open world PvP without any disadvantages like the karma system. So, if you want some quick fights you can just change into this channel and go ham. I really like that. It doesnt disturb our fellow carebare life skillers and gives PvPers more options to have fun. Great addition.

"Carebears" is so last century, can't you meat heads come up with anything better/new? lol
    DMKano said:

The game is doing well - but it's not "booming"

You are not telling the full story at all here.

What you fail to mention is that four of the steam launch servers are completely dead. The Olvia servers are completely dead - that's 9 dead servers

if the game were BOOMING as you claim - these would be packed.

Also look at steam charts - the pop is declining - and remember that steam players have to use steam to play BDO - so this is a good trending tool to see how the game has been doing - and again - doing well but not "booming".

Steady decline in concurrent population on Steam.

Again - BDO *is* doing just fine - but since Striker release - where is Kamasilve? Where is Mystic? 

The devs have basically stopped releasing major content in NA/EU since Striker/Steam launch and add to that the end of summer + school start - the game has less players now than ever.

Don't be fooled by new server additions as a "trend" for growing or booming population - it's just not happening when they have 8 servers that are not needed anymore.

Yeah, the content drought brought the numbers down. I suspect the Olvia servers will be needed again when Kama finally gets here. Or at least I believe that's the main reason they haven't repurposed them. I disagree with the numbers lower than ever thing however. Player numbets seem to be way up compared to what they were in the first half of '17.