Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old Love EVE cannot die but i also cannot play it with these people.

Comments

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Kyleran said:
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    The "chance" of being ganked in high sec is much greater these days, so your level of precautions to avoid has increased as well.

(I moved out to null sec about 3 years ago, preferred the easier identification of hostiles.)

At some point you just decide it's not worth the bother. 
    Nah, you are just grumpy.

There is always part of the playerbase that will be unhappy about any change CCP makes, and some of those will start summoning doom and gloom...how it will drive people away, etc.

Nothing new there, regular business.

You are right, with the significant increase in subs the past 5 years clearly its just disgruntled curmudgeons who move on. 

I had to leave as well. You are correct, at some point, it just isn't worth the bother.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Having played off and on for a long time myself, I have to agree that high sec is not what is once was in terms of safety. After thinking about it, I don't think it's that gankers have grown more bold or anything like that. It's more that the balance between pve and pvp has been lost. Early on, I knew players that did almost exclusively pvp, but they were rare. Most people, even hard core pvpers, did some of both sides of the game. PVP in nullsec was to provide support for miners and industrialists; random killing for the sake of killing wasn't really worth the effort.

As numbers grew, the PVE side of the game got satuarated until now there is really isn't much to do on the PVE side of the game except repeat the same content over and over, whether it be mining, missions, or some mixture of the above. The markets are basically dominated by a few players/corps to the point that new people really aren't going to get very far in that arena without joining one of the megacorps in control of that aspect of the game. On the other side of the game, there really is no satuaration point for PVP. It has never been more than a repetitive grind, and time hasn't changed that, so PVP has just kept growing and growing.

For me, the shift came about five years ago when I came back after a bit of a break, and found that the PVP aspect of the game had started to become more prominent, with far more people I came across in the corp I joined being strictly PVP than had been the case in the past. The PVE aspect was still fun, but definitely showing signs of satuaration and boredom settling in. It really hit home in the last two tries I've made in returning to the game. Now, even just undocking in a shuttle in high sec is cause to go into high alert mode, which to me is really fricking stupid. PVP when it has a reason is fun; PVP for the sake of PVP is just dumb, and EVE has gotten to a point where a large majority of the players are doing PVP for the sake of PVP. And the PVE hasn't kept pace, meaning that the game is now drawing a more specific type of player whereas before there was a pretty good balance in the type of player it attracted. It's unfortunate, but the reality is that EVE is going to continue to become more and more PVP focused as it slowly dies unless CCP does a major shakeup on the PVE side to breath new life into it.
    GdemamiKyleran
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Kyleran said:
    Malcanis said:
    Kyleran said:
    Probably heading back to EVE here in a few weeks, time to try something new though, just have to figure out what.

Well the recommendation for INIT remains. We're mining a whole bunch right now because we've been on campaign for literally a year, so that will feel familiar to you, but that phase won't last long. Then we'll go stir up some trouble :)
    The Initiative right?  Mostly a Euro Alliance as I recall, still true?  (US player here)

Kyleran said:

Probably heading back to EVE here in a few weeks, time to try something new though, just have to figure out what.

Have you tried living in a WH yet?
    Actually I did fly with a few WH corps back when they were first introduced to the EVE universe, but in recent years I've only used them as conduits for fast travel between empire and null sec.  I'm sure a lots changed in terms of what life is like living in them these days.

After many years, we've finally acquired an active USTZ.
    Kyleran

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I like EVE, played eve with 6 different accounts but I don't really like too much how the game works, I love the idea, but Combat is what feels boring to me locking down targets, i suppose if you just got out and PVP constnatly as a newbie learning how to do it once you have fits and builds you can fly its a great game, but without a source of income if you lose your ships you can either spend (Plex) or currency to buy new ships, or have a clan back you or miners...

It seems that a lot of people I have played with are too pussy afraid to lose everything I had a fleet of active miners that would go out and mine boosting ship too, but people were too afraid to run huge events and take capitals or transport off the POS and such in Null Sec, not the exact type of game play I was looking for for rewards there has to be risk involved.

So for me I found this game somewhat boring and went mainly into MOBA games, and Dark Fall perhaps Crow Fall, or some other game will be great.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Kyleran said:
    Malcanis said:
    Kyleran said:

Well the recommendation for INIT remains. We're mining a whole bunch right now because we've been on campaign for literally a year, so that will feel familiar to you, but that phase won't last long. Then we'll go stir up some trouble :)
    The Initiative right?  Mostly a Euro Alliance as I recall, still true?  (US player here)

Kyleran said:

Have you tried living in a WH yet?
    Actually I did fly with a few WH corps back when they were first introduced to the EVE universe, but in recent years I've only used them as conduits for fast travel between empire and null sec.  I'm sure a lots changed in terms of what life is like living in them these days.

If you don't want to find a corp and live there, you could daytrip. I like flying around in a Stealth Bomber and killing people running sites or mining. Not sure if Drake's can still do C3's solo. Pretty sure a Tengu can, but the odds of losing one is quite high unless you scout the system for awhile.

I used to have a lot of fun taking newbros on ninja gas huffing trips. We all flew Ventures. These days I tend to hang out in FW space. 
    Kyleran
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Eve was really going places when the game's philosophy was to "be the best science fiction universe simulation". In those days, CCP was working towards 'walking in stations'.

Eve lost it when the philosophy changed to "it's all about the spaceships, man!" Since then, Eve has been like stale recycled spaceship air.

Kyleran
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    hfztt said:
    Pfff...

Same shit as allways. Ganking in empire is more costly today then in the begining. The only thing that has changed is that the empire bears have more money to burn on bling, and are suppriced that they then cross the fine line that means killing them is actually worth it, even if it is only for salty tears. 

Problem is that some carebears think that they should be able to fly bling, bling ships in empire without risk.

Sorry, but that is not EVE. If you want to blaze though content wihtout risk, WoW is that way. In EVE there is always a risk/reward balance, even in empire. Do not run missions or incursions in bling, bling ships, if you do not like getting ganked. Hell, do not bling, bling mine if you do not want to be ganked.

Simple as that. Deal or leave. Same as always.
    Have it your way then, don't gain and keep new players and eventually the game will be you and a couple of others, if it hasn't already died. 

I left for the same reason as many.  I us want to play it like it was when released without the grief and saddos who can't get their enjoyment without ganking those that can't fight back.
    Gdemamidrachennwolf
    Eve was really going places when the game's philosophy was to "be the best science fiction universe simulation". In those days, CCP was working towards 'walking in stations'.

Eve lost it when the philosophy changed to "it's all about the spaceships, man!" Since then, Eve has been like stale recycled spaceship air.

Sorry you feel that way. The period Feb 2016-March 2017 was probably the best year of EVE ever for me. And I've had some pretty good times since.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Malcanis said:

Sorry you feel that way. The period Feb 2016-March 2017 was probably the best year of EVE ever for me. And I've had some pretty good times since.
    I was really enjoying EVE until the off grid boosting changes in the Nov 2016 expansion, haven't found a good reason to return since. 

This latest expansion hasn't changed that.
    Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• drachennwolfdrachennwolf Member UncommonPosts: 23
    The game is almost as toxic as their community pages. Such a shame. The game operates at such a high learning curve and has such a great ambiance to it, but the suicide gankers and the mouth runners just absolutely ruin it. I've NEVER seen such a toxic community, and I played ArcheAge for a year at launch.

If this is truly the trend of MMO games with this next generation of meme-fed gamers, I'll probably be resolved to playing Hello Kitty online to get away from it. I deal with enough bad/horrible/unimaginable shit in real life I don't need my relaxation time to be run by the village idiots.

Game is a total loss for me, personally. If CCP can get their community in check they might have a chance, but suicide ganking new players in high-sec zones and then major shit talking after is just stupidity.
    Gdemami
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    There is to many Free to Play games out there to pay CCP 15$ a month to get suicide ganked or at least not for long. In my opion Eve will have to seriously look at having a pve server or go completely free to play when SC comes out.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Elsabolts said:
    There is to many Free to Play games out there to pay CCP 15$ a month to get suicide ganked or at least not for long. In my opion Eve will have to seriously look at having a pve server or go completely free to play when SC comes out.
    So they've got about 4 to 5 years to prepare then.

;)
    JamesGoblin

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Elsabolts said:

;)

LOL, You just might be right Kyleran, did you see Eve is gonna have a mobile app that's pve.
                                            MAGA
  • drachennwolfdrachennwolf Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Kyleran said:
    Elsabolts said:

;)
    I love your optimism.
    JamesGoblin
    Kyleran said:
    Elsabolts said:

;)
    I love your optimism.

So does the Swiss banking system.
                                            MAGA
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Kyleran said:
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    The "chance" of being ganked in high sec is much greater these days, so your level of precautions to avoid has increased as well.

(I moved out to null sec about 3 years ago, preferred the easier identification of hostiles.)

At some point you just decide it's not worth the bother. 
    Nah, you are just grumpy.

There is always part of the playerbase that will be unhappy about any change CCP makes, and some of those will start summoning doom and gloom...how it will drive people away, etc.

Nothing new there, regular business.

You are right, with the significant increase in subs the past 5 years clearly its just disgruntled curmudgeons who move on. 

I am not saying the Op is correct as it is a pvp game,so what did you expect,however this argument about disgruntled carries no weight at all.it is a two way street,it works both ways,the same could be said about a vet who thinks it is just fine the way it is and you know why,because the vet is likely thinking selfishly and NOT in the best interest of the game.
    This is actually what i see all across the board in all games,selfish opinions instead of thinking about the game itself.

This is sort of along the same lines as what that Shapiro guy was on about,just because you are not directly involved in that particular situation does not mean you don't understand it as well as the next guy or that your opinion is weighted any less.
    MOST people talk as fanbois,heir opinions are fanbois based ,instead of finding ANY flaw within their game,they will fight tooth and nail to prevent the game from improving by defending every inch of it.

So by being selfish and a fanbois,people are preventing their favorite game from being better and to me that makes no sense at all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Kyleran said:
    Malcanis said:

I was really enjoying EVE until the off grid boosting changes in the Nov 2016 expansion, haven't found a good reason to return since. 

What was so necessary about off grid boosting?
    pantaro

hey, whenever you hear some scrub crying about how awful the "EVE community" is because he encountered PvP in a PvP game, remember this: https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/a-tribute-to-ccp-blaze-an-incredible-community-effort/

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    EVE is like the filtration system at a sewage treatment plant. It traps all the shit in one place so it doesn't contaminate the player bases of other MMOs. It's not perfect, but it's infinitely better than no 'filtration system' at all. For that reason alone, I hope it lasts a long time. 
    pantaroWraithoneErillion

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Malcanis said:
    Kyleran said:
    Malcanis said:

What was so necessary about off grid boosting?
    To park your Rorquel safely inside a POS and provide full mining boosts to everyone else in the system. 

With the change no one was willing to undock one.  Well except maybe to PVP.

;)
    pantaroGdemami

edited January 2018
    EVE is like the filtration system at a sewage treatment plant. It traps all the shit in one place so it doesn't contaminate the player bases of other MMOs. It's not perfect, but it's infinitely better than no 'filtration system' at all. For that reason alone, I hope it lasts a long time. . 
    Except its not at all like that, and apparently far better than games like BDO or any MOBA, or so I've read.
    pantaro

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Kyleran said:
    EVE is like the filtration system at a sewage treatment plant. It traps all the shit in one place so it doesn't contaminate the player bases of other MMOs. It's not perfect, but it's infinitely better than no 'filtration system' at all. For that reason alone, I hope it lasts a long time. 
    Except its not at all like that, and apparently far better than games like BDO or any MOBA, or so I'v read.
    still waiting for the epic return of @Kyleran to eve online so he can start a corp for us all called "Harbingers" lmao
    WraithoneKyleran
    pantaro said:
    Kyleran said:
    Except its not at all like that, and apparently far better than games like BDO or any MOBA, or so I'v read.
    still waiting for the epic return of @Kyleran to eve online so he can start a corp for us all called "Harbingers" lmao
    Since CCP appears hell bent on continuing on making  changes to encourage conflict perhaps I should abandon my building & gathering ways and join the ravaging hordes.

"Harbinger's Horde" has a nice ring to it, right?

;)

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited January 2018
    I'm trying to separate the actual OWPVP players and the toilet paper thin skinned folks who just want a "PVE server". I can never get a good read on the folks making threads like this. All I've learned through the years is that EVE is such a crappy spread sheet simulator game that people have to full time hardcore RP as scumbags for entertainment.

The games reputation precedes itself and it has never seemed the type of game that I'd go out of my way to see for myself.

Some of the stuff I've read about that happens in EVE would warrant fisticuffs though.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    How do so many people die in PvP in EVE unless you are actually looking for PvP in unsafe areas.

Played 3 years, only got PvPed in low sec. Sometimes got pvped in nullsec but nullsec (at the time) was actually safer than high-sec lol. But never once did I get pvped in high sec, not a single time.

That is like black desert online...from forums, you'd think people were getting ganked 24/7 dozens of times a day. But I only got PvPed twice thus far in BDO (in the past year) and actually tried to go to the pvp server to get more pvp, but its even rarer since not many people on the pvp server lol

Not sure how people get ganked or killed so easily and get killed so many times. I'm pretty carebear, but never have that problem lol. Sure I die sometimes, but I don't die every single square inch I go like some of these posts suggest.
    pantaro

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul