Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you won the lottery . . .

Comments

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I would give money to my family and friends and then move to an exotic Island somewhere lay on the beach and drink pina colada's until I was dead
  • aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619
    Probably the most boring answer ever, but I would take the first 10 million and invest in no risk/low risk, low return things like IRAs or CD or something. Even a 1% interest on 10 million is 100k. Thats more than enough to live on. 

Then I could take the rest and do pretty much whatever, since I have the first 10 mil as a cushion. Buy houses for me and family, pay off any debts (lots of school loans and such to deal with). I love to travel, so there will be plenty of that. 

Give some to charities of my choosing. Invest a small amount in the fun high risk, high payoff things. Pretty much just blow as much as I want without touching the 10 mil. And that should set me for life. (Probably start 5-10 mil trusts for my kids). 
    Gorwe
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i would buy an iphone to see for myself whats all the fuss about it.
    lancerxx[Deleted User]cameltosis

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I would invest much of it and start a foundation to donate the interest each year to charities in my area.  I would keep a chunk out to start a gaming studio of course.  I would make an updated version of StarFlight-2: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula!
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    I am able to control myself around money. 

Maybe I am weird, but for the most part I have almost everything I want in my life as far as money goes. 

So lets see...
    I win a billion dollars. 
    Next thing you know my name is on the paper and all across the world. 

Now every jackhole will want to "become my friend" in order to have me "fund" their project. Every single evil associated with money will pop up and regardless what I spend or don't spend money on, the media will make sure that I am labeled as dark and evil for not giving it all away to idiotic charities. 

Money won't buy me friends. Only associates and people who want my money.
    Money won't buy me time to speak to those whom death has taken away from me. 

What I have learned is that while making money or winning money is a nice thing, it doesn't make life that easier, it makes it harder and everyone who earns more and has more than you will try to take it from you. 

In this world, the very second you have anything worth of value to another, 
    You can rest assured that someone will exist to take it away from you. 

One day you will wake up and find that unless you worked real hard to make good friends, that people around you exist to take advantage of your social, political, and economic capita to their own ends... Unless you learn how to politely send them to hell and the art of how to make friends while annihilating your enemies. 

Octagon7711Gdemami
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Hire an investment company that manages lottery winners assets.  Move. Get a private number.  Hire someone to take my calls and screen my emails.  Don't take investment opportunities from strangers or relatives.  Buy gadgets. 
    You're loads of fun mate. 
    My first thought was to put a server farm in the basement. :smile:
    ConstantineMerus

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited September 2017
    Shinami said:
    I am able to control myself around money. 

Maybe I am weird, but for the most part I have almost everything I want in my life as far as money goes. 

So lets see...
    I win a billion dollars. 
    Next thing you know my name is on the paper and all across the world. 

Now every jackhole will want to "become my friend" in order to have me "fund" their project. Every single evil associated with money will pop up and regardless what I spend or don't spend money on, the media will make sure that I am labeled as dark and evil for not giving it all away to idiotic charities. 

Money won't buy me friends. Only associates and people who want my money.
    Money won't buy me time to speak to those whom death has taken away from me. 

What I have learned is that while making money or winning money is a nice thing, it doesn't make life that easier, it makes it harder and everyone who earns more and has more than you will try to take it from you. 

In this world, the very second you have anything worth of value to another, 
    You can rest assured that someone will exist to take it away from you. 

One day you will wake up and find that unless you worked real hard to make good friends, that people around you exist to take advantage of your social, political, and economic capita to their own ends... Unless you learn how to politely send them to hell and the art of how to make friends while annihilating your enemies. 

I watched a documentary on lottery winners once.  Strangers always asking you for money, friends and family demanding it.  Winners being murdered over it.  One lady won big and has a nice home in Hawaii, she spends a lot of time reading emails from people who need life saving operations, money to get away from an abusive spouse, you name it and she's heard it.

Someone once said, "Money doesn't fix problems, it amplifies them."  Now if you have few problems in your life you're ahead of the game when you do get rich.
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on
    Gdemami

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited September 2017
    Quizzical said:
    Get a lawyer and see if it's possible to prevent anyone from knowing that I've won the lottery.  The laws commonly say that it isn't, and if not, then try to negotiate some way to give the money to charity without anyone finding out that I was the source.  Failing that, seriously consider burning the winning lottery ticket.

The thing that you have to understand about lottery winnings is that they're basically cursed.  If you win the lottery, you'll have fourth cousins twice removed that you didn't even know you had and probably don't coming out of the woodwork asking for money.  Friends, relatives, co-workers, and random hangers-on will constantly beg you for money, at all hours of the day and no matter where you go.  You'll get suicide threats and all manner of sob stories to try to get money out of you.  It will not stop until you die, even if the money runs out first.

And why shouldn't they beg?  After all, you've established yourself as someone with a ton of money and no clue how to manage it.  You demonstrated the latter by playing the lottery in the first place and the former by having the misfortune of winning it.  The only way to truly win the lottery is not to play.
    Oprah said family members that use to ask her for five or ten dollars now ask for five or ten thousand.

In my state winners give up all anonymity, they plaster your face everywhere for publicity, so everyone will know.

On the flip side there have been people who won big and started successful businesses that made them even more money.  It was usually something they always wanted to do but didn't have the funds.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

On the flip side there have been people who won big and started successful businesses that made them even more money.  It was usually something they always wanted to do but didn't have the funds.
    And why didn't they have the money sooner?  Because they spent it on the lottery.

The amount of revenue that state lotteries raise is staggering.  It's commonly hundreds of dollars per person per year, even including the many people who don't play the lottery at all.  They're not raising that kind of money from someone who casually burns a few dollars on it every once in a while.

Everyone pays taxes:  the rich pay income taxes, the middle class pays sales taxes, and the poor play the lottery--which helps them to stay poor.
    Gdemami
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Since i like my job, i probably will just live my life as it is now ... may be a little more lavishly. Collect a few more bottles of more expensive wine. Charter flights instead of flying coach. Donate money to areas I find worthwhile.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:
    Hire an investment company that manages lottery winners assets.  Move. Get a private number.  Hire someone to take my calls and screen my emails.  Don't take investment opportunities from strangers or relatives.  Buy gadgets. 
    You're loads of fun mate. 
    I'm probably pretty close.

I'd buy my loft in Cambridge (MA), but before I did anything I'd hire a lawyer and and set up a Foundation. I would have to do this because in MA you have to give your name for any lottery winnings. In order to still be anonymous you can put it in a Foundation and be the manager of it and still be anonymous.

Then a new Classical Guitar, new Harp, and essentially live off the interest, travel, and just enjoy life.

I wouldn't hire anyone for calls and the like.
    If you can play that guitar you should setup a stage and fly all of us in to become your groupies. Heck, it doesn't even matter if you can play or not, since you are super rich we'd applaud anyways. ;)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • lancerxxlancerxx Member UncommonPosts: 63
    i would buy an iphone to see for myself whats all the fuss about it.
    Iphones are not that expensive  :D
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Well, I after putting enough into safe investments to ensure my family should be comfortable for a generation or 2, I'd get the game in my sig going, look at making the company a non profit. 
    If that went well maybe go into politics back in Canada, try to turn it into a Communist Technocracy and then take over the rest of the word from there . . . .  after that it gets a little grandiose . . .
    Octagon7711MrMelGibson
    How much does 1 billion dollars receive on 2% interest rate Quarterly?
    5 million dollars 

How to arrive at this answer: 
    $1,000,000,000 (1 Billion) x .02 (2 percent interest) = $20,000,000 (20 million) per year 
    $20,000,000 per year / 4 (Quarterly) = $5,000,000 (5 million)

You wouldn't have to invest in anything just put the money in a safe account and live off the interest.  Just don't do anything crazy.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited September 2017
    How much does 1 billion dollars receive on 2% interest rate Quarterly?
    5 million dollars 

How to arrive at this answer: 
    $1,000,000,000 (1 Billion) x .02 (2 percent interest) = $20,000,000 (20 million) per year 
    $20,000,000 per year / 4 (Quarterly) = $5,000,000 (5 million)

You wouldn't have to invest in anything just put the money in a safe account and live off the interest.  Just don't do anything crazy.
    You're forgetting about the Government's cut on that interest. Most places in the western world, with that amount of interest, their cut is going to be bigger than yours. ;)
    Octagon7711Gdemami

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    I wouldn't need close to a billion.  I'd buy my mountain in the hills of NC, and there I'd be, doing as much nothing as possible for the rest of my days.  I wouldn't even call in to work.  Me and the dogs would be in the truck headed west by noon.  What would I do with $1 billion?  I'd finally be able to afford to be the hermit I want to be.  None of this work stuff.  Ya'll can keep that.  Running a gaming company sounds too much like work.
    MrMelGibson

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I would invest and keep hoarding money and pay politicians crumbs to tell their constituents I need more tax breaks and deregulation and that I'll trickle the money down to Middle America. Then I'd take all that extra money I got from the stupids and hoard it some more. I'd also be making sure that I'm not tied to the US dollar as that's been going down in value (thanks in part to me people like me hoarding the paper) 

I'd probably have a few sh!##y spoiled brat kids, buy their way out of their life screw ups. Make sure all the dirtier stuff gets expunged.  Maybe engage in some good old American nepotism somewhere at a corporation I own a majority stake in so the kids know the value of hard work.

What else? I'd definitely start a charity because more tax breaks, plus totally a good retort for when people accuse me of being apathetic to others and forgetting where I came from. Who need a hail Mary when you got 1 million to donate.

I'd love to maybe own sports franchise, preferably NFL, because that's as close to being an owner of people as legally possible AMIRITE?  I think I'd love how people will inherently identify with me as opposed to the people I bough... I mean paid to work for me.

I think I better write some of this down, just in case.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I would spend whatever it took to create an Open World PVP 16 Faction Warhammer MMO. Complete with Old World, New World and Under Empire. Do that shit big.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Quizzical said:
    Get a lawyer and see if it's possible to prevent anyone from knowing that I've won the lottery.  The laws commonly say that it isn't, and if not, then try to negotiate some way to give the money to charity without anyone finding out that I was the source.  Failing that, seriously consider burning the winning lottery ticket.

The thing that you have to understand about lottery winnings is that they're basically cursed.  If you win the lottery, you'll have fourth cousins twice removed that you didn't even know you had and probably don't coming out of the woodwork asking for money.  Friends, relatives, co-workers, and random hangers-on will constantly beg you for money, at all hours of the day and no matter where you go.  You'll get suicide threats and all manner of sob stories to try to get money out of you.  It will not stop until you die, even if the money runs out first.

And why shouldn't they beg?  After all, you've established yourself as someone with a ton of money and no clue how to manage it.  You demonstrated the latter by playing the lottery in the first place and the former by having the misfortune of winning it.  The only way to truly win the lottery is not to play.
    Here in France, lottery winners are automatically anonymous unless they ask otherwise.
    So I wouldn't have that problem.
    Think it's the same here in the UK. You have the option of keeping it private or go public.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    immodium said:
    Quizzical said:

Here in France, lottery winners are automatically anonymous unless they ask otherwise.
    So I wouldn't have that problem.
    Think it's the same here in the UK. You have the option of keeping it private or go public.
    Pretty sure it goes for most of Europe, including in my little corner of it. Automatically making it public seems like a god awful idea to me...
    MrMelGibson

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• XxxusernametakenxxxXxxusernametakenxxx Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Sure I would create a video game but it wouldnt have forums.  Unfortunately today official forums, sub non official forums and sites like this are just toxic cesspools of haters most who don't even play the game they are crying about.

The development team would be in game and would not bow down to the minority who are upset we didn't call them for a game decision or are offended by something in game.

The game would have metrics tracked in game to determine issues and areas needed for improvement we would also open up discussion sessions for only those who have met certain prerequisite in game.  
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Sure I would create a video game but it wouldnt have forums.  Unfortunately today official forums, sub non official forums and sites like this are just toxic cesspools of haters most who don't even play the game they are crying about.

The development team would be in game and would not bow down to the minority who are upset we didn't call them for a game decision or are offended by something in game.

The game would have metrics tracked in game to determine issues and areas needed for improvement we would also open up discussion sessions for only those who have met certain prerequisite in game.  
    Eh, that's why you make the forums subscribers only, a la SWTOR.
    Many haters and trolls have posted loooong rants about that restriction on sites like this one, since they'd have to pay to do it on the official one (and some DO in fact pay for the privilege LOL).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• XxxusernametakenxxxXxxusernametakenxxx Member UncommonPosts: 127

Many haters and trolls have posted loooong rants about that restriction on sites like this one, since they'd have to pay to do it on the official one (and some DO in fact pay for the privilege LOL).
    Swtor official forums are still just as toxic as the rest even with the sub only aspect.  
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Swtor official forums are still just as toxic as the rest even with the sub only aspect.  
    It's an easy fix and something the community manager should handle. Just have very little tolerance for nonsense.

The issue is that game companies seem not to want to alienate any customers and tolerate certain behavior. Though another thought is that these companies are are started and run by gamerz and therefore they might just be clueless.
    Azaron_Nightblade
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • aeunexcoreaeunexcore Member UncommonPosts: 45
    btdt said:
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    Retire and live life to the full.
    And this is why most people who win the lottery go bankrupt within a year...

You'd be surprised how easy it is to blow through that amount of money... hell, my parents went through a million dollars in medical expenses alone in one year.

We live in a world in which a trillion dollars is now considered a lot of money, not billions.  By the time some of our kids retire, a trillion will be worth what a million is today... not much.

Well that depends if his life is as short as a year...