Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMO definition has evolved and the old definition no longer applies

124»

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Please stick to the original post. If you want to go off topic, please do so in another thread or via PM. Thank you.
    Kyleran

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Rebornc said:
    Why bother with those mmos. Everything is called mmo today.
    We should just invent a new Term for what we think is an mmo.

Let's call it RealMMO or TrueMMO ;)
    By definition a TMMO needs to have all these things. If it doesnt its just a mmo ;)
    Fuck your mmos ;) i want tmmos back ;)
    Or we could just call them 'games'

Oh, never mind. People here will just start arguing about the definition of a 'game'.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited September 2017
    Two people here tries to convince that an apple is not an apple any more It's an orange, because there are several brands of apples these days so you can't just say this is an apple It might be a orange because both are round and sweet.
    Several people in this thread are defending that very thing and says an apple are just that an apple because It has always been an apple, we can see It's an apple, we can taste it and do indeed tastes like an apple, yes a shocker It dosent taste like an orange even if both a round and similar size.

But we who enjoy apples are according to these two guys, the old apple tasters generation  living in the old days when apples were apples, to day in this modern era these apples have evolved to oranges and we old timers can't keep up with the new changes.

This is what I gathered from this useless thread.

Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • FaunNoeFaunNoe Member UncommonPosts: 56
    edited September 2017
    Rebornc said:

By definition a TMMO needs to have all these things. If it doesnt its just a mmo ;)

Oh, never mind. People here will just start arguing about the definition of a 'game'.
    CALL THEM GAMES!? EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT THE DEFINITION OF A GAME IS IN YOUR OPINION RIGHT NOW! I'M SURE OUR OPINIONS WILL DIFFER! ACTUALLY I'LL MAKE SURE OUR OPINIONS DIFFER NO MATTER WHAT!

Edit: Forgot to add "jk" at the end. On a serious note if the apples are indeed apples and not oranges then where do the pineapples fit in? I think in order to have a true debate the entire fruit family should be present. Give their thoughts on the situation. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    FaunNoe said:
    Rebornc said:

CALL THEM GAMES!? EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT THE DEFINITION OF A GAME IS IN YOUR OPINION RIGHT NOW! I'M SURE OUR OPINIONS WILL DIFFER! ACTUALLY I'LL MAKE SURE OUR OPINIONS DIFFER NO MATTER WHAT!

Edit: Forgot to add "jk" at the end. On a serious note if the apples are indeed apples and not oranges then where do the pineapples fit in? I think in order to have a true debate the entire fruit family should be present. Give their thoughts on the situation. 
    Pineapples are P2W.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Here are a couple examples of a word changing its meaning and definition

For example, people keep using the word "Bae" to describe their loved ones...guess what Bae means in Danish?

Poop. Bae means poop in Danish.

However, people turned that word into something good to describe a loved one, so it no longer means poop. That is one example of a word changing definitions.

Also, gay...gay used to mean happy. Now today it obviously has a different meaning.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    I just don't see how LoL is a mmo to people, did massive lose it's definition, does a couple mean many now?  I want to see less instances, more open mmos.  I think all the instancing stuff, it may be quicker to get action, I also think it is more bland/boring in the long term.   I don't agree with the rebranding, it doesn't make sense, use a different term that will not be confused.  If you expand mmo to mean every game, it has no meaning in the end, then you have to kill the term, and make a new one, which you should of just done in the beginning.
    KyleranMaurgrim
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Maurgrim said:
    Just close this fars thread allready, nothing good will come of it.
    What do you mean "nothing good"? You don't see people are having forum pvp fun?
    Iselin said:
    There's already a new term being used that captures MMOs and not-so-MMOs alike and would stop all these debates once you start using it too: Shared World.

I still think this site should change it's named to sharedworlds.com.
    Good luck making it happen. When you do, i will change my usage. Before that, work hard!
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    wait .. that horse is alive???