Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bungie to Remove Gauntlet that Resembles Hate Group Symbol - Destiny 2 - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MazingerZMazingerZ Member UncommonPosts: 52
    edited September 2017

SBFord said:

Aeander said:

That isn't a hate symbol. It was intended as a hilarious reaction to the absurdity of Hillary Clinton's website manager declaring Pepe the Frog to be a hate symbol.

So the fact that it's been adopted by white supremacist neo-Nazi groups is irrelevant? Wow.

That's because you let them have power over you [mod edit]

They could adopt a friggin' Welsh Corgi as their symbol and there would people would be throwing their dogs into traffic, euthanizing them, etc, etc.

That's how much power you give them.
    Post edited by Vaross on
    WalkinGlennLeiloni[Deleted User]GreyhavenWraithoneAlomarMusket-Squidforcelima[Deleted User]bartoni33
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Siphaed said:
    Go figure that this thread has attracted a bunch of the alt-right defenders who try to gas light the issue by saying it's either just a joke, nothing, or "liberal fake news".

The problem is that the symbolic flag that this is issued from was a parody of the NAZI flag. However not a very good one considering it was combining the Nazi flag with one of the KKK's early symbols and just throwing a bit of green and a clover or hearts (?) in the corner. But still looks very much like a Nazi flag with the KKK on it.

And that is why the white supremacists adopted and love it so much. It is combining their groups and their love of hate into a more "oh but it's a cute flag" style. They want people to associate liking it and laughing at it because then it allows people to get their guard down towards their actual groups (almost like psychological brainwashing).

"Kek" is not the same as "K-layered bars-backwards K", so don't even try to go there saying that they're the same thing. Real WoW players understand the difference 100% and wouldn't make the mistake of defending now adapted symbol of racism.
    ^
    Musket-Squid
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Rockard said:

SBFord said:

Aeander said:

That isn't a hate symbol. It was intended as a hilarious reaction to the absurdity of Hillary Clinton's website manager declaring Pepe the Frog to be a hate symbol.

So the fact that it's been adopted by white supremacist neo-Nazi groups is irrelevant? Wow.

That doesn't change it's meaning, though. Just because a literal handful of hateful people like something, that doesn't mean that thing is hateful. If they suddenly declared a love of MMO's or this website, would you suddenly shut down? That's crazy.

Are you serious? Dude they took out a symbol that is remotely close to a hate symbol. period.. KKK, alt-right, Neo-Nazi.. whatever you want to call that BS its all hate period. Bungie didnt shut down Destiny 2.. they removed a symbol they deemed to close to a hate symbol.

A bigger worry is why so many people think that's a issue? Are you offended by the removal of a symbol that looks close to a hate symbol?
    I think you're missing a lot here. Might want to go back and reread the comments. The thing is sort of resembles isn't actually a hate symbol. That's the discussion being had here. Supposedly some of the protesters had the flag but the symbol has been around long before that and doesn't have any hateful meaning to it. Just because a hateful person had it, that doesn't mean the thing itself is hateful. 

That's like being a kid in preschool and when the preschool bully take your favorite toy you just let him have it and walk away. I don't have any attachment to this whole idea, but I am really tired of people labeling everything as hateful. It's really tiring and not at all good for this country. If Harvey and Irma taught us anything, it's that much of what we read in the media - and stories like this - are utter BS and do not at all represent the American people and our spirit. 
    101% if there were guys holding a kekistan flag in that rally,they where either trolls or were trolled into holding the flag.
    I recently viewed a video,where a master troll,trolled a crowd of demonstrators that seemed to be politically leaning  to the left,by quoting a prominent figure of the NAZI regime(yeah,that dude),and in the end got them all to applaud him for it.
    When a society stops studying history and loses it's sense of humour and satire,it's on the door step of totalitarianism.
    If we allow the retards that can't tell the difference between kek and KKK,and applaud A.H quotes while demonstrating against fascism,to reset our rules of behaviour based on their profound ignorance,then we are even more retarded than them.
    I think I saw that video actually. A couple months ago wasn't it? He basically just spent an entire speech quoting nothing but direct quotes and they applauded him for it.
  • saintriku92saintriku92 Member UncommonPosts: 87
    so is it racist to say LOL? Because kek means lol, always has, always will to me.
    LeiloniAlomarKatrisa
    edited September 2017
    @RockHard People who recognize and see a correlation between KEK and KKK are not retards. Bad choice of words for one, furthermore maybe its you that doesn't see what's really happening. Maybe you should log off and go outside for a minute or two.  

EDIT: it has nothing to do with video games..
    Musket-Squid
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited September 2017
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    Also, for the record, it is news to me that the symbol even appeared in Charlottesville. To me, the entire Charlottesville debacle was a case of irrelevant, racist assholes being protested by other irrelevant, racist assholes who then got promptly run over by an even more irrelevant, racist asshole. 
    No, it wasn't "other racist assholes". Sorry (not sorry) to break the forum rules, but no. It was facist racists and people who stand against that. No one is a racist for standing against fascists. That doesn't make racism. White supremacy is racism by definition.

I joined the military, went to war, and risked my life so you can love this country, hate this country, fly flags and yeehaw, or burn them. But I did not do that to stand by and left fascists gain equal voice or standing and take over this country. We joined a world war to fight fascism. No, no, and NO or we won't remain a country.

It's a symbol. An artist can make a new one. Nothing of value is lost.
    I agree that the crowd taking a stand against facism in this case may not have been collectively racist. Most may well have been there for the right reasons, as you have stated. And no disrespect has been meant towards these.

However, let's not deny for one second that there is a cancer in the left. When I call some of them irrelevant, racist assholes, it is because some of them are. The biggest reason we now have a science illiterate, bigoted oompa loompa in the oval office is because of far left extremists like antifa. They give the rest of us a bad name, and it almost makes me ashamed to call myself a liberal. Almost.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    Alomarbartoni33
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    SBFord said:

Aeander said:

Totally.  You said it your self. It existed and had its own meaning long before the "Neo Nazi" groups decided to use something like it. 

The proper response would be to tell those who are *eternally* "offended", to either grow up, or be ignored.

But as in all such things, it is the Will of KEK... :)
    WalkinGlennMazingerZ
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited September 2017
    In this case society had a choice: ignore it or give a lot of free advertisement to quasi-terrorist group (before this accident I didn't know they exist). And as usually - idiots won. Also I imagine 10k years later every word and symbol will be forbidden as offensive because this crap tend to accumulate over time (and average IQ drops by 1% every 10 years since WW2).
    LeiloniAlomar

Thank you for your time!

Rhoklaw said:
    Torval said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    I love how you can get something removed from a game because it's offensive, but our lovely backwards media will still plaster videos of people burning the American Flag calling it Freedom of Speech. I know this websites rules, but if that doesn't seem extremely ironic, I don't know what does.

Burning the flag and ranting against the government is a right and freedom of speech we bestow on citizens. Hate and oppression are not because we've also decided that all people have the unalienable right to pursue life equally as peers without regard to their ethnic or racial origins.

Burning the flag doesn't violate that. Burning the flag show hate, discontent, or frustration and anger at the government which is totally acceptable. We've built into our very government nature the right to hate it to the point we replace it if it's gone bad.

But hating others just for their DNA composition does violate all of that. You can have freedom of speech and still not have freedom to oppress and intimidate others with that speech. That freedom to speak also doesn't imply freedom from consequences of those words.

In short, they're not equivalent just as standing against hateful racists doesn't make one a racist themselves.
    So, you don't see the irony in your statement? People burning a flag of the country that gives them the right to burn a flag? That is by definition... true irony. If you are protesting a government, you do so by voting. You don't burn 200 years of history because your unhappy now. That is called irrational behavior.
    Being American is Ironic in general. I don't need to give a history lesson..

Burning a Flag is not comparable to a racist pep rally that promotes Hate against other people
    SBFordAlomar

edited September 2017
    Stizzled said:

I wonder what most of you immediately relate this symbol to? It doesn't matter where a symbol came from, it matters what people use it to represent.

I don't care if they remove the symbol from the game. But, people on here trying to claim that the symbol can't have a hateful meaning to it because it originated as a meme are being purposefully obtuse.
    The vast majority of people using the Kek/Kekistan/Pepe meme's (all related) are doing so as a joke and have been for years. The amount of white supremacists that even exist in this country are a tiny minority, and the amount that are potentially using it as a hate symbol are a minority of a minority.

The symbol you linked however was used by an entire country for years. Not quite a good comparison. The only reason we even know (and I'm assuming this is true but I haven't seen it for myself) that they had this flag at the protest was because some liberal news outlets said so and said it meant that it was then a hate symbol. This is only a thing because they made it a thing. We'd likely have never heard about it otherwise.
    WraithoneAlomarbartoni33
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    edited September 2017
    Kekistan is being forcefully associated with hate groups because of what it was originally created to do, which is troll dopey lefties and libs.

The sheep are eating it up, hook line and sinker.
    LeiloniWraithoneforcelimaTsiyabartoni33
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    klash2def said:
    Aeander said:
    Also, for the record, it is news to me that the symbol even appeared in Charlottesville. To me, the entire Charlottesville debacle was a case of irrelevant, racist assholes being protested by other irrelevant, racist assholes who then got promptly run over by an even more irrelevant, racist asshole. 
    ????

The incident in Charlottesville was sparked by Racist white people. They were literally marching around chanting "White Power" "You will not replace us"  and "White lives matter." What are you talking about.. There is no two sides of Hate in this situation. I hate that bullshit narrative. The hate was coming from the racist southerners calling themselves "Neo Nazis" "Alt Right" "KKK" "White Nationalist"

whatever the hell they want to call it, its Racist. Simple. The people who got ran over were not racist, they were protesting against Racism and at such a large Hate Rally happening in their very own community/neighborhood.

Get your facts straight before you start insulting dead people. 

Your point makes no sense. According to you, the people who were Protesting against  the "Racist Assholes" are actually racist assholes for protesting against them? 

The stupidest shit I've seen on here in a long time. 

The blame for that incident is only with the racist white people who were clearly there to spread a Hate message. There is no way around that.

White lives matter is racist,as is black lives matter,as in both those phrases the separative quality between people is their skin colour.
    Human lives matter,is not racist.
    The racist behaviour of others is not an excuse for one to behave like a racist.
    Now I'm not an expert on matters of sociology,but the way I see it and as far as the American case is concerned,racism is a far deeper problem than what many seem to understand,because it, ironically,transcends race and seems to be a quality found throughout the various ethnic groups in the US.

Tsiya
    klash2def said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Torval said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    I love how you can get something removed from a game because it's offensive, but our lovely backwards media will still plaster videos of people burning the American Flag calling it Freedom of Speech. I know this websites rules, but if that doesn't seem extremely ironic, I don't know what does.

Burning the flag and ranting against the government is a right and freedom of speech we bestow on citizens. Hate and oppression are not because we've also decided that all people have the unalienable right to pursue life equally as peers without regard to their ethnic or racial origins.

Burning the flag doesn't violate that. Burning the flag show hate, discontent, or frustration and anger at the government which is totally acceptable. We've built into our very government nature the right to hate it to the point we replace it if it's gone bad.

But hating others just for their DNA composition does violate all of that. You can have freedom of speech and still not have freedom to oppress and intimidate others with that speech. That freedom to speak also doesn't imply freedom from consequences of those words.

In short, they're not equivalent just as standing against hateful racists doesn't make one a racist themselves.
    So, you don't see the irony in your statement? People burning a flag of the country that gives them the right to burn a flag? That is by definition... true irony. If you are protesting a government, you do so by voting. You don't burn 200 years of history because your unhappy now. That is called irrational behavior.

Burning a Flag is not comparable to a racist pep rally that promotes Hate against other people
    It wasn't a pep rally. They were originally protesting against the removal of a statue and nobody would have paid any attention to them had Antifa not showed up and made a thing of it as they are wont to do. 
    TsiyaRexKushman[Deleted User]
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Stizzled said:

I wonder what most of you immediately relate this symbol to? It doesn't matter where a symbol came from, it matters what people use it to represent.

I don't care if they remove the symbol from the game. But, people on here trying to claim that the symbol can't have a hateful meaning to it because it originated as a meme are being purposefully obtuse.
    Hinduism. . .a symbol for Kali. that was my initial reaction but then I realized the swastika  was clockwise so it  is depicting the sun deity not Kali my mistake.

as far as bungie is concerned: they are within their rights to remove or keep whatever art they want. . .just as I am within my rights not to play their games if I don't want to. . .

it would be another matter entirely if the Government forced them to remove it, but that isn't the case so no Constitutional rights were infringed.

LeiloniGreyhavenAlomarshawnpat
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Poor Tyrone(a black guy and the president of Kekistan) must be REEEEing like a mad man seeing people keep calling his national flag a symbol of hate and white supremacy.
    [Deleted User]SwamiOnTheMountain
    Leiloni said:
    klash2def said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Torval said:
    Rhoklaw said:

It wasn't a pep rally. They were originally protesting against the removal of a statue and nobody would have paid any attention to them had Antifa not showed up and made a thing of it as they are wont to do. 
    Statue of General Robert E Lee.. look him up.. also look when the statue was put up.. I will help you.. he was a slave owner and his statue erected during the civil rights era.. years after slavery.

fast fwd to 2017.. people want it removed because of what it stands for.. enter in
    "White Nationalist." Its very quickly turned into a pep rally for racist as they attacked people physically for no reason even killing one and almost killing several others. 

figure out the narrative. 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]RexKushman

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Leiloni said:
    klash2def said:

Leiloni said:

SBFord said:

Aeander said:

That doesn't change it's meaning, though. Just because a literal handful of hateful people like something, that doesn't mean that thing is hateful. If they suddenly declared a love of MMO's or this website, would you suddenly shut down? That's crazy.

Are you serious? Dude they took out a symbol that is remotely close to a hate symbol. period.. KKK, alt-right, Neo-Nazi.. whatever you want to call that BS its all hate period. Bungie didnt shut down Destiny 2.. they removed a symbol they deemed to close to a hate symbol.

A bigger worry is why so many people think that's a issue? Are you offended by the removal of a symbol that looks close to a hate symbol?
    I think you're missing a lot here. Might want to go back and reread the comments. The thing is sort of resembles isn't actually a hate symbol. That's the discussion being had here. Supposedly some of the protesters had the flag but the symbol has been around long before that and doesn't have any hateful meaning to it. Just because a hateful person had it, that doesn't mean the thing itself is hateful. 

That's like being a kid in preschool and when the preschool bully take your favorite toy you just let him have it and walk away. I don't have any attachment to this whole idea, but I am really tired of people labeling everything as hateful. It's really tiring and not at all good for this country. If Harvey and Irma taught us anything, it's that much of what we read in the media - and stories like this - are utter BS and do not at all represent the American people and our spirit. 

So if there is something I hate, will they remove  it?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

klash2def said:
    @RockHard People who recognize and see a correlation between KEK and KKK are not retards. Bad choice of words for one, furthermore maybe its you that doesn't see what's really happening. Maybe you should log off and go outside for a minute or two.  

EDIT: it has nothing to do with video games..
    From what I see,I get out a lot more than you do.
    The whole point of this flag was to troll people like you.
    And it's working.
    Kek.
    Leiloniforcelima
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited September 2017
    Leiloni said:

Bull shit. Any time people run around proudly waving the Nazi flag and chanting about white supremacy while spewing facist rhetoric, reasonable thinking caring Americans (and others in the world) take note and object. Please don't "whitewash" what that "rally" was. 
    Iselinklash2def[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Leiloni said:
    klash2def said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Torval said:
    Rhoklaw said:

Extremists on both sides enabling one another.
    How original.
  • AselliaAsellia Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Yeah, I saw a video on this 'flag'. It's not the same flag as the one at charlottesville, someone did a zoomin on those- its alarmingly SIMILAR but the one at the charlottesville was some KKK related order-type flag or something, it had similar colors, but the symbol in the flag itself was entirely different- media outlets just jumped on it and falsely reported that it was the same.
    LeiloniTsiya
  • GreyhavenGreyhaven Member UncommonPosts: 38
    edited September 2017
    And lets all clutch our Perls and virtue signal......All of this pretty much came about to give the finger to the easily offended and as a response to the hypocritical idiots that worship at the church of Sarkeesian.

Shit like this is why the industry is nosediving and well played to whoever once again triggered the usual suspects.
    SBFord said:
    Leiloni said:

Bull shit. Any time people run around proudly waving the Nazi flag and chanting about white supremacy while spewing facist rhetoric, reasonable thinking caring Americans (and others in the world) take note and object. Please don't "whitewash" what that "rally" was. 
    By that definition every protest is a pep rally then.
    Greyhaven
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97

Kekistan and KEK has nothing to do with hate or hate groups. The entire thing is a troll against libtards. The whole kekistan thing started when a libtard professor as some collage was spewing nonsence about Syria. A student trolled him by saying he was also forgetting about the persecution of the Kekistan people. The professor began speaking about said Kekistan persecution as if it was real, proving how full of shit he was. Also proving how gullable he and people like himself are. 

The only people who think thats a symbol of a haye group is fake news and leftist nutballs that get trolled by it.

Come on people... KEK is lol to the oposite factionin wow. So this is basically LOListan....

Congrats on spreading fake news. Kekistan is uses to troll liberals and lefties so all the leftie/libtard outlets used Charlottesville as an opportunity to associate Kekistan flag and pepe the frog with racists. 

Be informed and dont be a sheeple

Praise Kek.

Fully agree with you my Arian brother. Just because PewDiePie, (who's not even American and lives in the UK, mind you. The dude is hilarious off camera in that way.) can't watch his mouth on camera as of late. Just because most folks who ain't from a good southern family with deep traditional and conservative values don't see the red cap as the right way to think and live and just because everyone wants to be an keyboard Social Justice Warrior, doesn't mean every gall damn symbol means hate.

Praise KEʞ they be thy lord and name. /s
    WalkinGlenn
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Guys! I turned BLUE!!!
    GreyhavenSBFord[Deleted User]
This discussion has been closed.