Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bungie to Remove Gauntlet that Resembles Hate Group Symbol - Destiny 2 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageBungie to Remove Gauntlet that Resembles Hate Group Symbol - Destiny 2 - MMORPG.com

Destiny 2 News - Bungie has been called out by Destiny 2 players for the Road Complex AA1 gauntlets that have a stylized version of the word Kek emblazoned down the sleeve over a green background. Many felt that this was eerily close to a similar symbol used by a white supremacist group that was seen during the recent Charlottesville rally where a woman was killed by a car that plowed into a crowd of counter protesters.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited September 2017
    HAHAH It doesn't even look close tho lol what internet hero decided to pick up this heroic action to put an end to this gloved menace. Bravo sir/madam
    TyserieLeiloniExcessionforcelimaGreyhavendraetlinAlomarAsm0deus[Deleted User]rojoArcueidand 8 others.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I never would have guessed that. But I also didn't know that KEK got turned into a hate symbol. Wasn't it a WoW thing? The other faction typing LOL showed as KEK.
    SBFordExcessionLeiloniKellerForgrimmAlomarGorweAzaron_NightbladerojoArcueidLeFantomeand 4 others.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    I yearn for the day when people once again learn to use their spine.
    WraithoneAlomarTsiyaAsm0deus[Deleted User]rojoArcueiddragonlee66Dhamon99bartoni33JemAs666and 3 others.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited September 2017
    I dunno. It's close enough not to want to have in the game afaic. On a different color, maybe nobody would have noticed or cared but better just to get rid of it to kill the conversation before it rages out of control the way these things always do. The fact that every gaming news outlet is reporting it says all you need to know.

kek.png 15.1K
    BillMurphyklash2defKyutaSyukoAlomarMadFrenchiecatofmanyKyleranKatrisashawnpatBananaSoup

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Leiloni said:

I yearn for the day when people once again learn to use their spine.

Not going to happen. It's just going to get worse until people are offended by each other's mere presence.
    LeiloniforcelimaPastor_DameMazingerZForgrimmpoobin420[Deleted User]dragonlee66vito11bartoni33and 2 others.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    That isn't a hate symbol. It was intended as a hilarious reaction to the absurdity of Hillary Clinton's website manager declaring Pepe the Frog to be a hate symbol.
    ExcessionLeiloniforcelimaZandogpoobin420AlomarTsiya[Deleted User]bartoni33JemAs666and 2 others.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited September 2017

Aeander said:

That isn't a hate symbol. It was intended as a hilarious reaction to the absurdity of Hillary Clinton's website manager declaring Pepe the Frog to be a hate symbol.

So the fact that it's been adopted by white supremacist neo-Nazi groups is irrelevant? Wow.
    catofmany[Deleted User]gervaise1LackingMMOMellowTiggerbartoni33JemAs666Katrisasarah116Psym0n

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:

Aeander said:

So the fact that it's been adopted by white supremacist neo-Nazi groups is irrelevant? Wow.
    Nothing is irrelevant. And I am in no way condoning Neo Nazism. But when something is public domain, it can be adopted and tainted by anyone.
    SBFordAlomarghettocelebTsiya[Deleted User]Kyleranbartoni33pantaroKatrisagearchin13and 1 other.
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    edited September 2017
    Oh yeah.!!!!!
    A obvious and lame attempt by Bungie to play the cool developer by referencing kek,becomes even lamer when the usual  haters that supposedly go after hate groups by hating everyone and everything they don't understand(which is pretty much everything and everyone other than them on this planet and beyond), demand for it to be removed.
    This is the age of retard,where you can't kek because it looks like KKK.
    Glorious times indeed.

LeiloniAlomarghettoceleb
    SBFord said:
    I dunno. It's close enough not to want to have in the game afaic. On a different color, maybe nobody would have noticed or cared but better just to get rid of it to kill the conversation before it rages out of control the way these things always do. The fact that every gaming news outlet is reporting it says all you need to know.

I think I've heard of this thing before but I don't think it was considered a hate symbol until recently. I think people are just being overly sensitive because I guess they're saying people in Charlottesville had the flag? Honestly that doesn't mean anything. If those protesters had an American Flag they'd start saying that was a hate symbol just because one person in a hate group had it.

I'm just tired of all the name calling, hate, labeling, and divisiveness. I think it's far more divisive to start calling random years old meme's "hate symbols" and banning them. It'd be much better to just ignore stuff like this that is honestly completely minor and unimportant. Besides if you really think a symbol truly has power, the best way to get rid of that power is to not make a big deal out of it and ignore it. Things have no power if nobody pays attention to them.
    ExcessionforcelimaPastor_Damepoobin420AlomarTsiya[Deleted User]KyleranDhamon99bartoni33and 1 other.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    This is just dumb. This is allowing the bad guys to win. It's allowing them to dictate things in the lives of others.

It should be kept in game DESPITE them!

This is allowing any hate group to just TAKE whatever they want. This needs to stop.

At some point the line must be drawn damnit.

LeiloniPastor_DameXarkopoobin420AlomarGorweghettocelebTsiya
    edited September 2017
    Aeander said:
    That's what I had read a while ago as well, that the entire thing was supposed to be a joke? I mean I'm not surprised because some people take things too seriously. Oh well.

It's also worth pointing out that the word originated in Starcraft since it's what the Korean gamer's used to say "lol" and made it's way into WoW later on as an Orcish word for lol. So really it's been a gaming thing since the beginning anyway.
    poobin420Alomarbartoni33Psym0n
    edited September 2017
    SBFord said:

Aeander said:

That doesn't change it's meaning, though. Just because a literal handful of hateful people like something, that doesn't mean that thing is hateful. If they suddenly declared a love of MMO's or this website, would you suddenly shut down? That's crazy.
    poobin420AlomarTsiyaKyleranLackingMMODhamon99bartoni33gearchin13
    Torval said:
    I never would have guessed that. But I also didn't know that KEK got turned into a hate symbol. Wasn't it a WoW thing? The other faction typing LOL showed as KEK.

Anyway, it's sad whenever a hate group coopts a symbol or saying and the rest of us have to bow and defer to that theft.
    You don't have to do anything. You are choosing to do that, and you can also choose to do something else.
    Alomarbartoni33JemAs666
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited September 2017

Leiloni said:

SBFord said:

Aeander said:

That doesn't change it's meaning, though. Just because a literal handful of hateful people like something, that doesn't mean that thing is hateful. If they suddenly declared a love of MMO's or this website, would you suddenly shut down? That's crazy.

Are you serious? Dude they took out a symbol that is remotely close to a hate symbol. period.. KKK, alt-right, Neo-Nazi.. whatever you want to call that BS its all hate period. Bungie didnt shut down Destiny 2.. they removed a symbol they deemed to close to a hate symbol.

A bigger worry is why so many people think that's a issue? Are you offended by the removal of a symbol that looks close to a hate symbol?  Or do you just want to be mad about something? 
    Alomarcatofmany[Deleted User]gervaise1bartoni33JemAs666
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

edited September 2017
    klash2def said:

Leiloni said:

SBFord said:

Aeander said:

Are you serious? Dude they took out a symbol that is remotely close to a hate symbol. period.. KKK, alt-right, Neo-Nazi.. whatever you want to call that BS its all hate period. Bungie didnt shut down Destiny 2.. they removed a symbol they deemed to close to a hate symbol.

A bigger worry is why so many people think that's a issue? Are you offended by the removal of a symbol that looks close to a hate symbol?
    I think you're missing a lot here. Might want to go back and reread the comments. The thing is sort of resembles isn't actually a hate symbol. That's the discussion being had here. Supposedly some of the protesters had the flag but the symbol has been around long before that and doesn't have any hateful meaning to it. Just because a hateful person had it, that doesn't mean the thing itself is hateful. 

That's like being a kid in preschool and when the preschool bully take your favorite toy you just let him have it and walk away. I don't have any attachment to this whole idea, but I am really tired of people labeling everything as hateful. It's really tiring and not at all good for this country. If Harvey and Irma taught us anything, it's that much of what we read in the media - and stories like this - are utter BS and do not at all represent the American people and our spirit. 
    poobin420goobsnewsAlomarghettoceleb[Deleted User]bartoni33
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    This is hilarious. When you think about all this is happening literally just because Hillary was dumb enough to think Pepe is a symbol of white supremacy. Without that one moment, non of this would happen, kekistan wouldnt even exist. I really love America.
    LeiloniGreyhavenpoobin420AlomarghettocelebTsiya[Deleted User]Dhamon99bartoni33JemAs666and 3 others.
    Also, for the record, it is news to me that the symbol even appeared in Charlottesville. To me, the entire Charlottesville debacle was a case of irrelevant, racist assholes being protested by other irrelevant, racist assholes who then got promptly run over by an even more irrelevant, racist asshole. 
    XarkoLeilonicoleman11b3domNyghthowlerpoobin420AlomarSlapshot1188bartoni33JemAs666and 3 others.
    Leiloni said:
    klash2def said:

Leiloni said:

SBFord said:

Aeander said:

A bigger worry is why so many people think that's a issue? Are you offended by the removal of a symbol that looks close to a hate symbol?
    I think you're missing a lot here. Might want to go back and reread the comments. The thing is sort of resembles isn't actually a hate symbol. That's the discussion being had here.
    I didn't miss a thing. Read what I wrote.. actually let me help you out w/ quotes directly from my post

"they removed a symbol they deemed to close to a hate symbol." 
    "Are you offended by the removal of a symbol that looks close to a hate symbol?"

I'm confused on what you think I missed.. 

Your train of thought too about how "If you ignore bad things it goes away" is a problem. To actually get rid of issues like Hate you must face it head on, not ignore it and act like it does not exist. People who act like its not real are part of the problem. I never said the Logo used in D2 "IS" a hate symbol, I said it closely resembles one.

Question remains.. why does its removal bother you so much? 

SBFordAlomar[Deleted User]
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    edited September 2017
    Let's get rid of all lighting bolts and all eagles and the letter H and the number 8 from all print , television and video games. I think I covered the basics oh and hammers no picture of hammers. Damn racist hammer bros oh the color red and grey . There let's keep a running list of items that are offensive by association.
    XarkoLeiloniGreyhavenpoobin420goobsnewsAlomargearchin13
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    edited September 2017
    Kekistan and KEK has nothing to do with hate or hate groups. The entire thing is a troll against libtards. The whole kekistan thing started when a libtard professor as some collage was spewing nonsence about Syria. A student trolled him by saying he was also forgetting about the persecution of the Kekistan people. The professor began speaking about said Kekistan persecution as if it was real, proving how full of shit he was. Also proving how gullable he and people like himself are. 

The only people who think thats a symbol of a haye group is fake news and leftist nutballs that get trolled by it.

Come on people... KEK is lol to the oposite factionin wow. So this is basically LOListan....

Congrats on spreading fake news. Kekistan is uses to troll liberals and lefties so all the leftie/libtard outlets used Charlottesville as an opportunity to associate Kekistan flag and pepe the frog with racists. 

Be informed and dont be a sheeple

Praise Kek.
    LeiloniWraithonepoobin420goobsnewsAlomarTsiyaIosevusLackingMMODhamon99bartoni33and 2 others.
  • GrintchGrintch Member UncommonPosts: 132
    A big problem is that once you give in to these people, the demands never stop. The people who complain the loudest always get their way, while the Silent Majority who couldn't care less are ignored even though there's lots more of them. But I come from a time when people had thicker skin and if you didn't like something, it was just too bad, you had to live with it and just ignore it. When the hell did this country become a bunch of pansies?
    LeiloniWraithoneAlomarTsiyabartoni33
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    edited September 2017

SBFord said:

Aeander said:

I think you're missing a lot here. Might want to go back and reread the comments. The thing is sort of resembles isn't actually a hate symbol. That's the discussion being had here. Supposedly some of the protesters had the flag but the symbol has been around long before that and doesn't have any hateful meaning to it. Just because a hateful person had it, that doesn't mean the thing itself is hateful. 

That's like being a kid in preschool and when the preschool bully take your favorite toy you just let him have it and walk away. I don't have any attachment to this whole idea, but I am really tired of people labeling everything as hateful. It's really tiring and not at all good for this country. If Harvey and Irma taught us anything, it's that much of what we read in the media - and stories like this - are utter BS and do not at all represent the American people and our spirit. 
    101% if there were guys holding a kekistan flag in that rally,they where either trolls or were trolled into holding the flag.
    I recently viewed a video,where a master troll,trolled a crowd of demonstrators that seemed to be politically leaning  to the left,by quoting a prominent figure of the NAZI regime(yeah,that dude),and in the end got them all to applaud him for it.
    When a society stops studying history and loses it's sense of humour and satire,it's on the door step of totalitarianism.
    If we allow the retards that can't tell the difference between kek and KKK,and applaud A.H quotes while demonstrating against fascism,to reset our rules of behaviour based on their profound ignorance,then we are even more retarded than them.
    LeiloniWraithoneAlomar[Deleted User]LackingMMODhamon99JemAs666bartoni33BrunalHermod
    edited September 2017
    Aeander said:
    Also, for the record, it is news to me that the symbol even appeared in Charlottesville. To me, the entire Charlottesville debacle was a case of irrelevant, racist assholes being protested by other irrelevant, racist assholes who then got promptly run over by an even more irrelevant, racist asshole. 
    ????

The incident in Charlottesville was sparked by Racist white people. They were literally marching around chanting "White Power" "You will not replace us"  and "White lives matter." What are you talking about.. There is no two sides of Hate in this situation. I hate that bullshit narrative. The hate was coming from the racists calling themselves "Neo Nazis" "Alt Right" "KKK" "White Nationalist"

whatever the hell they want to call it, its Racist. Simple. The people who got ran over were not racist, they were protesting against Racism and at such a large Hate Rally happening in their very own community/neighborhood.

Get your facts straight before you start insulting dead people. (Yes a innocent woman died) 

Your point makes no sense. According to you, the people who were Protesting against  the "Racist Assholes" are actually racist assholes for protesting against them? 

The stupidest shit I've seen on here in a long time. 

The blame for that incident is only with the racist white people who were clearly there to spread a Hate message. There is no way around that.

IselinMadFrenchieMusket-Squidgervaise1

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Go figure that this thread has attracted a bunch of the alt-right defenders who try to gas light the issue by saying it's either just a joke, nothing, or "liberal fake news".

The problem is that the symbolic flag that this is issued from was a parody of the NAZI flag. However not a very good one considering it was combining the Nazi flag with one of the KKK's early symbols and just throwing a bit of green and a clover or hearts (?) in the corner. But still looks very much like a Nazi flag with the KKK on it.

And that is why the white supremacists adopted and love it so much. It is combining their groups and their love of hate into a more "oh but it's a cute flag" style. They want people to associate liking it and laughing at it because then it allows people to get their guard down towards their actual groups (almost like psychological brainwashing).

"Kek" is not the same as "K-layered bars-backwards K", so don't even try to go there saying that they're the same thing. Real WoW players understand the difference 100% and wouldn't make the mistake of defending now adapted symbol of racism.
    klash2defSBFord[Deleted User]AlomarZaphyrMusket-SquidTsiyaJemAs666LiljnaBrunal

This discussion has been closed.