Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'v3.0 is Moving into a Phase Akin to Early Access' - Star Citizen - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Didn't they say picking the Cryengine wasn't the best way to make an MMO? Also I thought after the design of the new game you are going to make, the next big step would be creating the engine for it? So after this long shouldn't us backers get to see the engine we helped them create with our money?

Just want the darn games to be done and playing.
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Lol, yes, "all things being equal", depending on the scope of the modifications being made and depending on what type of engine you're creating and how much experience you have making engines. However if we're talking about specifics, and I thought we were, then we don't have enough information to make any sort of commentary about which scope is larger. 
    When you don't have specifics, you work with what you've got.

If you're not willing to do that, you shouldn't have posted in the first place.  I responded to your jumping into the thread to qualify CIG's progress as a comparison to CSE's.  Are you attempting to submit you weren't making any assumptions with that post?

With what we've got, building the engine seems clearly the larger endeavor.  Specifically when it's being done on a shoestring budget (comparatively) and with a much smaller team.

What we've got is a project at a level of complexity that the most senior developers who CREATED Cryengine have taken years to make the necessary changes. So are you saying that is trivial? Or are you contending that these guys are idiots? Or don't know what they're doing? I'm not sure what point you're making. You think we don't have any information, but we do. We have enough information to make pretty good estimates of the work that was being done and the complexity of that work. What we can say is that the work is non-trivial work that took a team of people, larger than the entire CU team (maybe double the size), who CREATED Cryengine years to rewrite. I think that's pretty significant. 
    And CSE is attempting to to create an enginer, from scratch, capable of handling destructible environments, projectile and AoE spells that have to be tracked in real-time as they travel since they should interact, all the while rendering record numbers of players in the same space simultaneously.  See?  I can expound on assumptions, too!

Yup! I can't really comment on the complexity of that either. It's probably a lot of non-trivial work which is being worked on by quite a few people, and has been for quite some time now. We can talk about lots of nebulous stuff that we really have no fucking clue about. So I guess good job to us! 
    MadFrenchie

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Lol, yes, "all things being equal", depending on the scope of the modifications being made and depending on what type of engine you're creating and how much experience you have making engines. However if we're talking about specifics, and I thought we were, then we don't have enough information to make any sort of commentary about which scope is larger. 

If you're not willing to do that, you shouldn't have posted in the first place.  I responded to your jumping into the thread to qualify CIG's progress as a comparison to CSE's.  Are you attempting to submit you weren't making any assumptions with that post?

With what we've got, building the engine seems clearly the larger endeavor.  Specifically when it's being done on a shoestring budget (comparatively) and with a much smaller team.

What we've got is a project at a level of complexity that the most senior developers who CREATED Cryengine have taken years to make the necessary changes. So are you saying that is trivial? Or are you contending that these guys are idiots? Or don't know what they're doing? I'm not sure what point you're making. You think we don't have any information, but we do. We have enough information to make pretty good estimates of the work that was being done and the complexity of that work. What we can say is that the work is non-trivial work that took a team of people, larger than the entire CU team (maybe double the size), who CREATED Cryengine years to rewrite. I think that's pretty significant. 
    And CSE is attempting to to create an enginer, from scratch, capable of handling destructible environments, projectile and AoE spells that have to be tracked in real-time as they travel since they should interact, all the while rendering record numbers of players in the same space simultaneously.  See?  I can expound on assumptions, too!

Yup! I can't really comment on the complexity of that either. It's probably a lot of non-trivial work which is being worked on by quite a few people, and has been for quite some time now. We can talk about lots of nebulous stuff that we really have no fucking clue about. So I guess good job to us! 
    Half the arguments on this forum are less useful than this one, so I don't feel bad thatwe're arguing about it one bit!

Don't get me wrong, part of me hopes both pull it off, as both sound like games I would enjoy.  I do feel as if, had CR focused on the smaller scope first, then added ala the route E:D went, there would be much less speculation and criticism being leveled their way.
    ExcessionKyleran

• RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    And what do we tell people that accuse us of something we did not do? 'Go ***k yourself'.

I do not Envy Chris... All these nay-sayers - and half of them either unstable or there just for the kicks - and he can't tell them that. On the other hand it was never any different for anyone else who start enterprise of that scale.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    So, early access is the name most indie devs give a release they want to start selling their game to people, on Steam most often. 

Any indication in the interview if that is where they are headed for in the 3.0 release?

Also, whatever happened to SQ42 and Star Marine, still in the plan?

While they seem to have a plan CR continues to be adverse to being held to dates,  a trait he shares with most devs these days, which I still object to.  

But supporters seem to be willing to keep the faith so no incentive for the Devs to do so.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

EA release is apparently behind the corner. Soon all the fans will get the game they have been waiting for and the people who claimed they will never release will be proven wrong.

Have fun.
    Serious? Or sarcasm?

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Half the arguments on this forum are less useful than this one, so I don't feel bad thatwe're arguing about it one bit!

Don't get me wrong, part of me hopes both pull it off, as both sound like games I would enjoy.  I do feel as if, had CR focused on the smaller scope first, then added ala the route E:D went, there would be much less speculation and criticism being leveled their way.
    The greatest difference between the two projects isn't the budget. MJ by and large is still trying to deliver on the scope promised in the KSer, whereas CR appears to have largely forgotten SQ42.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Before the fighting starts - remember, Early Access doesn't mean complete. It's still going to be a rough ride.
    I could have swore you have said before something to the effect  "They are charging money. I'm going to review it like it's released." 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    With CR saying the game is basically basic and in early access coupled with the earlier statement of "least viable product" the game has soft released in his eyes....at-least what the lawyers told him to could get away with legally......that's my take away.

Kudos to having a dream.....but the word on the street is CR never had an issue with dreams...it was just delivering on those dreams.
    Arglebargle