Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KR Closed Beta 2 Trailer Spotlights New Content - Lost Ark Gameplay Footage

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageKR Closed Beta 2 Trailer Spotlights New Content - Lost Ark Gameplay Footage

Lost Ark is ready to enter closed beta 2 in Korea. In order to show players what they can expect during CBT 2, players will be able to explore new islands, sail ships, fish and be subject to the weather system.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MasterDCTMasterDCT Member UncommonPosts: 39

DMKano said:

Thats nice and all but the core probelm still remains - this is a linear gear progression class based, limited build MMO-hybrid just like all the other failed/low tractiom KR MMO-hybrids so far.

What western gamers love about ARPGs - deep character building and deep gearing options like - Path of Exile, D2, Grim Dawn. Heck even D3 has 100x more build depth than Lost Ark.

Sure Lost Ark is a high production value game, but that wont help that the core gameplay is not something that western playerbase will tolerate for more than a month.

I have not played the game so I dont know if the game is linear or not but Lost Ark is wonderful at its skills, combat and variety of game plays. It's just CBT so I dont think we should judge the game yet
    MYTHGuy
  • asnowasnow Member UncommonPosts: 43
    gorgeous anyway:)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    DMKano said:
    Thats nice and all but the core probelm still remains - this is a linear gear progression class based, limited build MMO-hybrid just like all the other failed/low tractiom KR MMO-hybrids so far.

What western gamers love about ARPGs - deep character building and deep gearing options like - Path of Exile, D2, Grim Dawn. Heck even D3 has 100x more build depth than Lost Ark.

Sure Lost Ark is a high production value game, but that wont help that the core gameplay is not something that western playerbase will tolerate for more than a month.

I just wonder if those people who DON'T like character building to that level would be the better group for this game.

For example, I don't like "deep" character building as it seems one has to constantly do it every time someone comes up with some counter build. Then the game becomes about always tinkering with builds.

This is beyond tedious. I think it's why a poster made that that thread a while ago asking if gamers "loved math" as it seemed (at least to him) that people loved comparing stats and percentages in order to optimize their builds.

I'm much more a player who would just rather dive in with what I have and be "doing" rather than tinkering.

As far as the other games that "failed" did they fail because the reasons you gave or did they fail because their just weren't great at what they tried to do.
    ConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    It's shaping up to be a nice looking game. CB2 will start on the 15th and the best part is their is no NDA, so people will be live streaming it on twitch.
    wingood

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Lost Ark looks amazing.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118

DMKano said:

Oh shut up already!

Game looks good. As @Sovrath said , "deep" character customization can be a pain in the ass.

I am now more curious to see NcSoft response with Lineage Eternal , because they need to come up pretty soon with an announcement about the game.

Also .. I have a good feeling that we will see an announcement about Diablo MMO soon. Or at least with some MMO features.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Unless I miss my guess, I believe the developers/publishers of Lost Ark have already stated they have no plans to release this game in the West.  It's a shame IMHO, since I would probably love it, but if what I have read is correct, they basically said they do not want to deal with the Western audience.  In all honesty, I can't say that I blame them.  The game would be flamed as "too Asian", people would whine and moan and bitch about cleavage or revealing costumes worn by characters, and since it originates from the East it would immediately be judged as "p2w."  If Smilegate has a good thing going on overseas with this game, I'm sure they are only too happy to keep it there.
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

beebop500 said:

Unless I miss my guess, I believe the developers/publishers of Lost Ark have already stated they have no plans to release this game in the West.  It's a shame IMHO, since I would probably love it, but if what I have read is correct, they basically said they do not want to deal with the Western audience.  In all honesty, I can't say that I blame them.  The game would be flamed as "too Asian", people would whine and moan and bitch about cleavage or revealing costumes worn by characters, and since it originates from the East it would immediately be judged as "p2w."  If Smilegate has a good thing going on overseas with this game, I'm sure they are only too happy to keep it there.

Your guess is incorrect. this Quote is taken from here:https://steparu.com/news/1643-lost-ark-online-developers-aiming-for-global-market

The Exact Quotes taken from Koreatimes written by Yoon Sung-won

Start

Ji said the game is designed to target both domestic and overseas markets "We tried to depict a background which has both colors of western and eastern cultures to aim at the global market," he said. "We will think over how to localize detailed parts of the game to attract foreign users."

End

Honestly, I'd like the game as it is without any localization (local-what? It usually means make it less grindy and add some NA flare stuff.) Anyhow, looks like Smilegate aims to please everyone around the world. English version confirmed or is it official? It's probably going to take some time given the game hasn't even launched its first private or closed beta yet. Let the waiting games begin! I also forgot to mention that they might need to search for a worth publisher!
    Mikeha

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:
    DMKano said:

I just wonder if those people who DON'T like character building to that level would be the better group for this game.

For example, I don't like "deep" character building as it seems one has to constantly do it every time someone comes up with some counter build. Then the game becomes about always tinkering with builds.

This is beyond tedious. I think it's why a poster made that that thread a while ago asking if gamers "loved math" as it seemed (at least to him) that people loved comparing stats and percentages in order to optimize their builds.

I'm much more a player who would just rather dive in with what I have and be "doing" rather than tinkering.

As far as the other games that "failed" did they fail because the reasons you gave or did they fail because their just weren't great at what they tried to do.
    I'm with you. Designing one's character is part of the fun. I try to neglect studying the optimum builds and find my own build--which is the one I'd be having the most fun.

But since I take pleasure doing that, a deep character progression actually helps. Jist because it is deep doesn't mean you have to surrender to min/maxing approach. 

What I mean is, you can enjoy character building without considering math at all. And depth doesn't affect that approach, even if you are given 2 options, one of them would be the optimum one and after a while it would change.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung