Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Elf-Fantasy the most popular?

Comments

• lancerxxlancerxx Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Here is my contribution:
    Here is my contribution:http://elfquest.com/
    Here is my contribution https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfquest
    Here is my contribution https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfquest
    edited September 2017
    Sorry about the multiple posts anyway can i get a mod to just leave one with the elfquest link please
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Scorchien said:
    Loke666 said:
    Scorchien said:

I blame this Guy

Except that MMOs featured Elves before the first time he put on pointy ears.

I don't think elves popularity is so much Tolkiens fault as Ed Greenwood (the guy who created Forgotten realms). It was Forgotten realms and Dragonlance that really brought elves into computer games and they have become the standard setting to rip off for MMOs.

EQ, Wow and the rest besides LOTRO are way closer to the D&D settings then Middle earth.

Tolkien did not invent elves, they are part of Norse mythology but he did make them popular with fantasy fans but D&D made them insanely popular with gamers.

And I think it is that "look good at all times" that make so many players like them. And the standard type of MMO elves are closer to the sun elves, moon elves and drows of FR then Tolkiens elves that are much closer to the mythological ones which is more demi Gods then mortals.
    LMAO .it was a joke ..wtf ... get a grip on yourself ... FFS
    Relax a bit, you did probably nail 25% of the elf players with a picture, it just ain't the whole story. 
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Phry said:
    lahnmir said:
    Xasapis said:
    Immortality and eternal beauty and youth are popular ... I wonder why ... :blush:
    Twilight man, Twilight.  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    And then there are vampires, although i am not sure immortality and undead are quite the same thing, twilight did 'glamorize' vampires and i think werewolves, though personally i prefer the Underworld version;

Probably because of her :p

Really liked Underworld, but hated the twilight series, only watched a bit of the first film, which was more than enough. :/
    It's hard to relate with teenage angst, especially considering how far away we are from that age and how trivial they seem from the distance.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Can I just play a human-vulcan hybrid instead?
    Scared Shiftless in Shasta Spock-blocked

Jemcrystal

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited September 2017
    Phry said:
    lahnmir said:
    Xasapis said:
    Immortality and eternal beauty and youth are popular ... I wonder why ... :blush:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    And then there are vampires, although i am not sure immortality and undead are quite the same thing, twilight did 'glamorize' vampires and i think werewolves, though personally i prefer the Underworld version;

Really liked Underworld, but hated the twilight series, only watched a bit of the first film, which was more than enough. :/
    Yeah. World of Darkness predates Twilight and I'd say that's the main popularization of those races for gamers. Twilight is just the standard thing people use to make fun of anyone who likes Dark Fantasy races.
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Loke666 said:
    Scorchien said:
    Loke666 said:
    Scorchien said:

I blame this Guy

I don't think elves popularity is so much Tolkiens fault as Ed Greenwood (the guy who created Forgotten realms). It was Forgotten realms and Dragonlance that really brought elves into computer games and they have become the standard setting to rip off for MMOs.

EQ, Wow and the rest besides LOTRO are way closer to the D&D settings then Middle earth.

Tolkien did not invent elves, they are part of Norse mythology but he did make them popular with fantasy fans but D&D made them insanely popular with gamers.

And I think it is that "look good at all times" that make so many players like them. And the standard type of MMO elves are closer to the sun elves, moon elves and drows of FR then Tolkiens elves that are much closer to the mythological ones which is more demi Gods then mortals.
    LMAO .it was a joke ..wtf ... get a grip on yourself ... FFS
    Relax a bit, you did probably nail 25% of the elf players with a picture, it just ain't the whole story. 
    Another 50% is this guy.

Hatefullcameltosis[Deleted User]Jemcrystal
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Loke666 said:
    Scorchien said:

I blame this Guy

Pretty sure dude meant the character Legolas, not Orlando Bloom.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Loke666 said:
    Scorchien said:

I blame this Guy

I disagree with ed greenwood as the reason.  Certainly dnd and adnd of the 70s popularized them even in those few fantasy crpgs we had back then.  Dritz the dark elf isn't the reason because Drow started being played as PCs after 1978s TSR module G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King which had drow details at the end of the module.  People turned those NPC rules into PC rules right away.  They were so popular (and a bit annoying to me) that in 1985 they were added to AD&D 1st ed Unearth Arcana. Forgotten Realms didn't come out until 1987 and the legend of drizzt until 1988.  So far behind the curve.
    Gdemami
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Depends on timing and just how popular something actually is in relation to it's popularity on a media level.

For example with the Drow, a big thing in D&D is both the metagame of how appealing a race's stats and potential unique traits are, and also just how much variance they introduce on a more general level. Drow being jumped on quick makes sense for both those reasons. The fact that they had better baselines that made them a level-adjusted race in formal play, which players kind of just fudge(d) with the NPC race, already put it at a leg-up, and on top of that they were the grim moody conspiracy-driven counterpart to the other elf races, making them a fond juxtaposition to many of the other offerings.

But there also is not really a way to deny just how influential iconic characters are to the popularity of a race, as you can see often rather clearly by class choices and character design where their concepts draw inspiration from. When every other dark elf you see is a dual wielding tempest ranger it's hard to divorce them from the dark elf that got branded that race's mascot.

On a personal level I feel like I've always been in a minority that prefers novelty. Elves are my fallback when the other options are equally generic or otherwise don't fit a more "cute/pretty" aesthetic that I prefer. I like it though when a fantasy setting ventures into their own race concepts and designs. Like I adore the asura in GW2 or bird and aquatic themed races in D&D.

...I don't feel like I fall into a minority for loving the genasi, but I have never been certain...
    Jemcrystal
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Because elf chicks are the hottest

Image result for hot elf chick
    Octagon7711Kyleran
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited September 2017
    As a person who almost always plays an elf, if I were given more options, I would not play an elf. The reason that I choose an elf, is that it's the most relatable class; they are almost like humans, but with the fantasy element. I became more interested in Pantheon after I've heard that they will have a mermaid race. Wasn't a fan of Orlando Bloom's Legolas, I preferred Thranduil. Not all elves look good either, I have an elf in Rift and I never really liked her look (they are shaped like men, and you cannot edit the body). :/
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Eldurian said:
    Phry said:
    lahnmir said:
    Xasapis said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Yeah. World of Darkness predates Twilight and I'd say that's the main popularization of those races for gamers. Twilight is just the standard thing people use to make fun of anyone who likes Dark Fantasy races.
    ^Very much this.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    We've never had an MMO where you play a god.

Imagine black and white 1+2, SPORE and many other god games...make that into an MMO! :cold_sweat:

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited September 2017
    DMKano said:
    Sorry but dwarves > elves any day

Orcs > dwarves

Ogres > Orcs

Trolls > all
    Basically all the races I couldn't care less about. ;)

Although I always had you pegged as a halfling player tbh xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/