Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Elf-Fantasy the most popular?

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
Not complaining just curious.  Other themes:  Space-Science-Fiction, Crime-Stealth, Mythology-Gods, Survival-Environment, Auto-Racing, Abstract-Construction, Historical-Fiction-(Medieval, Western, Urban, etc), Superhero-Comic, Zombie-Apocalypse, Cyber-Steampunk, Martial-Arts-Orient, Dinosaurs-Creatures, Home-Management, Puzzle-Solving, Chat-Room-Social-Dating, Action-Adventure-Exploration, Horror-Dystopia, Nature-Utopia, Anime-Drama, Mystery-Cloak-n-Dagger, Politics-Governing, Comedy-Satire, Music-Creative-Arts, Tragedy-Occult, etc.

Out of all the rp genres mmorpgs can be what makes elf-fantasy (also called Sword-n-Sorcery or Heroic-Fantasy) the highest chosen?

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Tolkien most likely.
    ConstantineMerusMrMelGibsonPsYcHoGBRHatefullIselinRusquemrputtsGorweYashaX[Deleted User]and 3 others.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Not complaining just curious.  Other themes:  Space-Science-Fiction, Crime-Stealth, Mythology-Gods, Survival-Environment, Auto-Racing, Abstract-Construction, Historical-Fiction-(Medieval, Western, Urban, etc), Superhero-Comic, Zombie-Apocalypse, Cyber-Steampunk, Martial-Arts-Orient, Dinosaurs-Creatures, Home-Management, Puzzle-Solving, Chat-Room-Social-Dating, Action-Adventure-Exploration, Horror-Dystopia, Nature-Utopia, Anime-Drama, Mystery-Cloak-n-Dagger, Politics-Governing, Comedy-Satire, Music-Creative-Arts, Tragedy-Occult, etc.

Out of all the rp genres mmorpgs can be what makes elf-fantasy (also called Sword-n-Sorcery or Heroic-Fantasy) the highest chosen?

I understand your point and @Phry provided the best answer I suppose. But, elf-fantasy has got nothing to do with Sword and Sorcery or Heroic Fantasy. As in, it is not also called...

Tolkien made elves and orcs popular. Many grabbed those races in their fantasy worlds. 
    MrMelGibsonHatefullYashaX[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung

I understand your point and @Phry provided the best answer I suppose. But, elf-fantasy has got nothing to do with Sword and Sorcery or Heroic Fantasy. As in, it is not also called...

Tolkien made elves and orcs popular. Many grabbed those races in their fantasy worlds. 
    I think for me, that Tolkien was the most influencing, i first encountered his books back in the 70's, i had just started secondary school and the school library had a few complete sets of the Lord of the Rings, i don't know how many times i read them, but that i think marked my 'entry' into the whole fantasy genre including everything from Robert E Howards books to John Normans rather more 'provocative' fantasy series, since i still read a huge amount of books, although my wife has long since banned me from buying physical books due to 'volume' my kindle library is probably fairly large. But it was Tolkien who ultimately shaped my conceptions of what Elves are, and fantasy worlds in general. :)
    MrMelGibsonConstantineMerusHatefullJemcrystal
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Phry said:

I think for me, that Tolkien was the most influencing, i first encountered his books back in the 70's, i had just started secondary school and the school library had a few complete sets of the Lord of the Rings, i don't know how many times i read them, but that i think marked my 'entry' into the whole fantasy genre including everything from Robert E Howards books to John Normans rather more 'provocative' fantasy series, since i still read a huge amount of books, although my wife has long since banned me from buying physical books due to 'volume' my kindle library is probably fairly large. But it was Tolkien who ultimately shaped my conceptions of what Elves are, and fantasy worlds in general. :)
    Because Tolkien is not just a writer. I even believe his other skills surpasses being simply a novelist. He is not only a master linguist but also a scholar in legends and folklore. 
    PhryJemcrystal
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Phry said:
    Tolkien most likely.
    And DnD (which is in turn Tolkien inspired).
    PhryHatefullGorweYashaX[Deleted User]JemcrystalAmathe

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yk5dbxJ558s/maxresdefault.jpg

Star Trek Online / Movie Series there are elves there too?
    ExcessionProudsoul11Jemcrystal
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Because fantasy is fantastic
    XarkoYashaX
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    well if you really need to break it down to simplicity it sex sells

A ) 99% of all elf are beautiful long living

B ) it easy to design for them just humans with small changes

C ) require no knowledge of lore or desire for fantasy as it easy to grasp an enjoy for anyone

JemcrystalTsiya

jimmywolf said:

C ) require no knowledge of lore or desire for fantasy as it easy to grasp an enjoy for anyone

And yet Dwarves are significantly less 'sexy' unless you have a thing for beards, i wont judge :p and they are just as popular as Elves :)
    HatefullGorweJemcrystal
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited September 2017
    Phry said:
    jimmywolf said:

And yet Dwarves are significantly less 'sexy' unless you have a thing for beards, i wont judge :p and they are just as popular as Elves :)
    I wouldn't quite go as far as to say JUST as popular... Many MMOs and RPG's have elves as playable races, and dwarves as NPCs. Still popular, but not entirely on par with elves. Especially when you factor in Korean MMOs like BDO, TERA, AA, and numerous others - who tend to have playable elven classes, while dwarves are NPCs - when they exist at all in those settings.
    BeansnBreadJemcrystal

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

I blame this Guy

Azaron_NightbladeHatefullPhryRidelynnViper482Gorwe[Deleted User]Jemcrystal
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2017
    Phry said:
    jimmywolf said:

I would disagree on this point as I think dwarves are far less popular than elves, both in terms of players choice as well as developer offerings. 

It's not uncommon in high fantasy (the term I would use) for elves to be the most popular race or edged out slightly by humans.

In many DnD inspired games there is often more than one elf race, and sometimes they are the main theme of the game or story. 

Dark elves come to mind, along with high elves, wood elves, half elves just to name a few.

They often have great powers such as seeing in the dark, better magic abilities, longer life spans,  portrayed as more noble than common humans, perhaps more insular and elitist, but always superior and above filthy, greedy, materialistic dwarves who grub about in the earth for gold and treasure.

I doubt more than a small number of female players have ever chosen dwarf as their race, largely because female dwarves are often omitted as a choice, or largely unattractive (see WOW) while elves are likely the dominant selection. (Ever see a short, fat, female elf model in games or movies?  Nuff said.)

On rare occasion a game or story will offer multiple dwarf races, but normally they are all characteristically similar with variances mostly on what they mine or where they live.

While dwarves often have super human powers they are frequently relegated to roles such as fighter, priest or thief.  Rare is the dwarven mage as usually their racial charcteristics (remember when games had those? ) favored strength, piety, poison resistance  vs intelligence, agility and magic resistance normally reserved for elves and sometimes elf/human hybrids.

Any who elves are a corner stone of most any high fantasy game, and even if a game does not specifically mention elves (as seems to be case with some Asian titles) usually there's still a racial choice or 3 which look and have the characteristics of elves (though frequently given more child like features which I still find creepy and disturbing,  but hey, I'm just out of touch or so I'm told)

Elves are almost damn sexy, and beautiful, even if in the Asian variants males tend to be somewhat feminine looking.

While the OP mentions a dozen other possible worlds for MMOs there's been numerous discussions over the years by both players and devs as to why high fantasy remains the king despite countless iterations and truthfully,  is still favorite of mine over the years. 

Yes, I have always included at least two elves in all of my parties (remember when RPGs were about controlling parties of 4 to 6 characters,  oh how I miss the single player games from the 80s and 90s)

While I'm  currently having a great time with Fallout  New Vegas (post apocalyptic earth being also a long favorite thanks to this series and Wasteland) I can't help wishing for a similar game in fantasy world, which included a 3rd or 4th companion as well.

If Bethesda ever made such a game, count me in. 

Hmm, come to think of it, my character in FNV looks suspiciously like a dark elf...

;)

Azaron_NightbladeHatefullPhryConstantineMerusYashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    Dwarves as popular as elves? That's just not true just look at graphs for any mmorpg that have these two races available to play as. Elves are, on average, always among the top 3 or top 1 for that matter if they are aesthetically good looking. A lot of people like aesthetics they'd rather represent themselves as good looking in video games for some reason rather than some stumped figure like dwarves. It simply takes a different mindset. Of course if you are going to be looking at the backside of your character 24/7 it might as well be a elf. 

I'm a dwarf guy myself. But there's stigmas around everywhere that revolve around what sort of type of a person plays what race and how it reflects them irl. They're mostly just hilarious stereotypes but, you know, whatever we all think em. 
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Scorchien said:

I blame this Guy

Except that MMOs featured Elves before the first time he put on pointy ears.

I don't think elves popularity is so much Tolkiens fault as Ed Greenwood (the guy who created Forgotten realms). It was Forgotten realms and Dragonlance that really brought elves into computer games and they have become the standard setting to rip off for MMOs.

EQ, Wow and the rest besides LOTRO are way closer to the D&D settings then Middle earth.

Tolkien did not invent elves, they are part of Norse mythology but he did make them popular with fantasy fans but D&D made them insanely popular with gamers.

And I think it is that "look good at all times" that make so many players like them. And the standard type of MMO elves are closer to the sun elves, moon elves and drows of FR then Tolkiens elves that are much closer to the mythological ones which is more demi Gods then mortals.
    Gdemami
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited September 2017
    Here is a graph I found. Not sure exactly how accurate, but it looks like previous ones I have seen

https://www.statista.com/statistics/276315/distribution-of-world-of-warcraft-characters-by-race/

Edit: WoW has racials though which of course skews this in various ways.

Azaron_NightbladeLimnicGorwe
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Immortality and eternal beauty and youth are popular ... I wonder why ... :blush:
    SovrathConstantineMerusYashaXJemcrystal
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    The setting you're referring to is called High Fantasy.
    HatefullYashaXJemcrystal
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    No doubt there are multiple reasons.  But in ad&d they had many advantages over plain humans.  And humans player elves covert power.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Loke666 said:
    Scorchien said:

I blame this Guy

Except that MMOs featured Elves before the first time he put on pointy ears.

I don't think elves popularity is so much Tolkiens fault as Ed Greenwood (the guy who created Forgotten realms). It was Forgotten realms and Dragonlance that really brought elves into computer games and they have become the standard setting to rip off for MMOs.

EQ, Wow and the rest besides LOTRO are way closer to the D&D settings then Middle earth.

Tolkien did not invent elves, they are part of Norse mythology but he did make them popular with fantasy fans but D&D made them insanely popular with gamers.

And I think it is that "look good at all times" that make so many players like them. And the standard type of MMO elves are closer to the sun elves, moon elves and drows of FR then Tolkiens elves that are much closer to the mythological ones which is more demi Gods then mortals.
    LMAO .it was a joke ..wtf ... get a grip on yourself ... FFS
    Hatefull
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited September 2017

Well, as a person that always plays Elves, and prefers fantasy, I can say that (as others of said) being exceptionally beautiful, graceful and long living beings is a draw.

Fine features, well educated, graceful, a strong sense and love for aesthetics etc.

As far as the genre? I've always preferred fantasy (though I oftentimes think the designers go overboard with it it such as "floating castles and the like") and like the idea of magic along with wielding a sword or a bow or a mace. There's something very primal about that.

"Science Fiction" is rarely about the "science fiction" and is more about being in the future with gadgets. I lose interest in those very quickly unless it's a 4X game.

I could do Steam Punk but it would have to be done "right".

I like super hero movies and that's about it. A Western "might" intrigue me but I wouldn't play that for long.

Not sure what to say but "fantasy" does it for me.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Xasapis said:
    Immortality and eternal beauty and youth are popular ... I wonder why ... :blush:
    Twilight man, Twilight.  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Phry
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2017
    I believe Fantasy reaches out to more options .As well MANY are also using more than just Elf,example Mythology is huge in many games.Most of those choices cannot be mixed they are too out there and have very few options within.

It also seems to be the oldest,so devs even the crappy ones have enough ideas to copy to build a decent game.
    I could go for a Western or a Space mmorpg but nobody out there is coming close to building one i would want to play.The developers need to be reminded of the term ROLE PLAYING.There are a couple Westerns coming out that look kind of cool,i have no idea as of yet if they are a complete game or like so many just a couple lame gimmicks with a cash shop and selling early access.

Something like puzzle solving is again an idea to ADD into a solid game build,not to be a one trick pony gimmick to surround an entire game around it.I have no idea how a developer would draw up the design to make a puzzle game remotely plausible in the scope of role playing.The same goes for Mystery,that is not even a role playing element but more so an idea and again would be an idea that is built into a game not THE GAME design itself,unless and the ONLY idea i can think of would be if you were role playing Sherlock Holmes or something similar.

I guess after having think it over a Mystery rpg is possible,you could be role playing a mystery seeker,who travels the world seeking out mysteries to unravel,like ancient heiroglyphics and hidden treasures that again need to be deciphered from ancient mysteries,sort of like Tomb Raider.

Bottom line is i could go for ANY type genre/game,i just want to see a quality game,not some moba that took 3 months to build,just give me effort and quality.
    Jemcrystal

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Wizardry said:

Something like puzzle solving is again an idea to ADD into a solid game build,not to be a one trick pony gimmick to surround an entire game around it.I have no idea how a developer would draw up the design to make a puzzle game remotely plausible in the scope of role playing.The same goes for Mystery,that is not even a role playing element but more so an idea and again would be an idea that is built into a game not THE GAME design itself,unless and the ONLY idea i can think of would be if you were role playing Sherlock Holmes or something similar.

I guess after having think it over a Mystery rpg is possible,you could be role playing a mystery seeker,who travels the world seeking out mysteries to unravel,like ancient heiroglyphics and hidden treasures that again need to be deciphered from ancient mysteries,sort of like Tomb Raider.

Bottom line is i could go for ANY type genre/game,i just want to see a quality game,not some moba that took 3 months to build,just give me effort and quality.
    Secret World. It is this already and does it quite well.

Also, for the record, you can roleplay in any game it's up to you. Or are you so unimaginative and lazy you can't be bothered to use your mind to suit the situation to your needs?

Tolkien was the first author to really grab me, he was my gateway Author to DnD and every other fantasy setting. Although I am more into WH40K at this point, Tolkien will always be the one that hooked me.

As far as way Elves are so popular, I have no idea. Elves, much like tree's, make me want to put an axe in them.
    Scorchien

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

lahnmir said:
    Xasapis said:
    Twilight man, Twilight.  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    And then there are vampires, although i am not sure immortality and undead are quite the same thing, twilight did 'glamorize' vampires and i think werewolves, though personally i prefer the Underworld version;

Probably because of her :p

Really liked Underworld, but hated the twilight series, only watched a bit of the first film, which was more than enough. :/
    SovrathlancerxxConstantineMerusTuor7AsheramJemcrystalKyleranAmathe
  • lancerxxlancerxx Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Here is my contribution: