Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quitting MMOs for good (edit/update: Not fully since still play Ultima Online/Elite Dangerous)

2»

Comments

• TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,872
    GW2 is a good antisocial MMO. I'm in 3 guilds just for daily harvesting material and never have to talk to anyone if I don't want to.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,978
    I've found ESO to be pretty antisocial. It's easy to get the zone gear sets solo or in a small group of friends and the only time I've ever had a conversation with a dungeon group was when I started the conversation.

Honestly, if your looking for an MMO that plays like Skyrim (somewhat) and doesn't force you to interact with others if you don't want then ESO is a good choice.

Then again, you said you've played pretty much everything, so I guess your experience with ESO must have been different from mine.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,569
    I like that you found what you wanted to play. We always see threads about how nobody can ever find an MMO they want to play, and even though you didn't find an MMORPG you wanted to play at least you found something to play and have fun with. 

I'm similar to you in some aspects, I absolutely hate being on the phone (although where I currently work I have to be on it a lot) and I hate talking on voice chat unless it is with someone I know in real life. But I find things I can do solo in MMO's quite often, and ignore the group aspects of them even while doing group activities if that makes sense. If I need to do a dungeon to progress, I join the dungeon and turn off chat so I don't have to talk to people unless necessary. Or I'll participate in a raid without voip or any form of chat as long as I understand the fights (Which I will read up on before doing them). I feel like you can definitely play and enjoy MMO's while not having the social aspect really effect you at all, even while doing the social things in the games. But if that isn't for you, it's good you found what you wanted to do. I'm going to keep riding each game until I get bored, because MMO's are still my favorite genre, even if I have the attention span of a gnat. 
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,038
    Grow up. Grow a pair. No one cares if you are quitting/notquitting/quitting/butnotquitequitting MMO's.
    vito11Nepheth7SilentNightsThebeasttt
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,298
    madazz said:
    Grow up. Grow a pair. No one cares if you are quitting/notquitting/quitting/butnotquitequitting MMO's.
    Apparently you cared enough to post here. You lose, he wins.
    Ukurv
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,697
    madazz said:
    I don't care but I care enough to tell you I don't care because you should know who cares and who doesn't and when someone does care you should know the precise amount of care they cast upon you. So just grow a pair, eh?
    Jean-Luc_Picard
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    A lot of people ruin MMOs for themselves by playing them obsessively.

The problem with MMOs is that if you let them they tend to consume you in a way very few other games do. Playing them becomes the one singular thing you sink your free time into. Tens, hundreds of thousands of hours. Then, when the burnout comes it hits like a fucking freight train. You get bitter and angry with your game, and you start looking for a fix in other titles. You get into a new MMO and go 'oh, this is so much better' but that only lasts 2-3 months because at that point youre pretty much sick and tired of the whole genre. But you cant accept that so you keep jumping from MMO to MMO until you despise the very nature of those games. 

Rhoklaw
    madazz said:
    I don't care but I care enough to tell you I don't care because you should know who cares and who doesn't and when someone does care you should know the precise amount of care they cast upon you. So just grow a pair, eh?
    Seems like you love telling people to "grow a pair". Why is that? Do you lack one yourself?
    Let's do psychology !
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,697
    madazz said:
    Seems like you love telling people to "grow a pair". Why is that? Do you lack one yourself?
    Let's do psychology !
    I was just being funny. :| 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 7,127
    Actually, I think a study should be done on the adverse affects of technology on human maturity. I'm curious if the availability of mass communication behind an anonymous screen has allowed an increase of immaturity to spawn within the younger generations. I grew up in the 70's and 80's, thus spent most of my time outside when I wanted to be entertained. Since the late 90's, technology and media have pushed children into a new form of socializing and I can honestly say it is NOT for the better. When I see parents buying iPads and iPhones for children, I can already see the demise of the human race. Which leads me to the point of why I think the social aspects of MMOs is dying.

When I think of MMOs back in the day that did force grouping for a majority of the content. It didn't bother me. Mostly because the people I grouped with weren't annoying little !@#% mongers with zero respect for others and in need of a serious attitude adjustment. Forced grouping or socializing is NOT the problem in MMOs. It's being forced to group with what I like to refer to as the problem generation that has left a bad taste in the MMO genre. So now, it really boils down to being in a good guild, because lets be honest, grouping with good people DOES make an MMO experience far more enjoyable than playing a single player game.

This is partially the reason why I now avoid MMOs that focus on PvP. For some reason, those types of games seem to attract the problem childs, the instigators, the smack talkers, the exploiters, the cheaters and the griefers.

So, in summary. MMOs didn't fail, humanity did.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,774
    edited September 2017
    Rhoklaw said:

So, in summary. MMOs didn't fail, humanity did.
    lol .. really? You form your opinions on humanity solely based on how some people play online games?

Personally, the human elements in the Harvey disaster (like the good samaritans who went out to help and got electrocuted ... literally sacrificing their LIVES to try to help others) is 1000x more telling and important than how some gamers blow off steam in video games.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    So I expanded to a 3rd MMO, Black Desert Online. Dunno if I'll stick with it, but it is a good MMO for my playstyle. No dungeons/raids so no needing voice chat, joined a guild where voice chat isn't required, tons to do for a solo player (probably one of the best solo MMOs out there, especially for an open world one)...only thing...

Not sure about forced PvP. But without PvP, there wouldn't be anything to work for or any obstacle in the game. Its either PvP, or raids and dungeons and I'd pick PvP any time since I don't like raids/dungeons at all due to needing voice chat (at least for the hardest content, depending on the MMO). And honestly, I don't care if a random person runs up and kills me lol. It doesn't bother me. In fact, I find it adds danger and excitement.

But I've been playing lots of games. Starbound, Civ 4 caveman2cosmos mod, starcraft 2, path of exiles...lots of games. I'm no longer limiting myself to one single game or one genre (MMOs) that I get way too addicted to, that is what happened with WoW lol. When I was playing WoW, literally did no other game and barely anything else but WoW.

But now I'm branched out a lot, and the MMOs I DO play are more my style.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

edited September 2017
    So I expanded to a 3rd MMO, Black Desert Online. Dunno if I'll stick with it, but it is a good MMO for my playstyle. No dungeons/raids so no needing voice chat, joined a guild where voice chat isn't required, tons to do for a solo player (probably one of the best solo MMOs out there, especially for an open world one)...only thing...

Not sure about forced PvP. But without PvP, there wouldn't be anything to work for or any obstacle in the game. Its either PvP, or raids and dungeons and I'd pick PvP any time since I don't like raids/dungeons at all due to needing voice chat (at least for the hardest content, depending on the MMO). And honestly, I don't care if a random person runs up and kills me lol. It doesn't bother me. In fact, I find it adds danger and excitement.
    In BDO, if you never do the level 49 quest, you'll never be engaged in PvP. But you'll be stuck at 49. Still a decent option for alts, if you have some just for crafting for instance.