Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom making a third Conan game.

AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
http://massivelyop.com/2017/09/05/funcom-will-still-love-conan-exiles-when-the-new-baby-is-here/
Funcom plans to make another Conan game as soon as Exiles leaves EA in 6 months.
I wonder what type of game the third Conan game will be, mobile maybe?

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I'd love an ARPG. 
    Forgrimm
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    A bad card game lol, or maybe the moba?
    laxie
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Would be nice if they gave AoC the same treatment the did with TSW, Age of Conan Legends .
    GorweAzaron_NightbladeSomArroyoAsm0deus
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    A single player/co-op RPG that does a better job capturing Howards world would be nice. And no magic earrings please, I don't see Conan wearing stuff like that.

Basing the world of the comics books with some influences from Tolkien and Greenwood does not help the IP at all. Something closer to the original books thanks.
    pantaroGorweAzaron_NightbladeConstantineMerusPhrydeniterAsm0deus
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I was thinking card game as well.  Single player rpg would be great though
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I can totally see a TCG built in the Conan universe. It's the "thing" these days for popular IPs to do that AND they'd get even broader cross-platform play by including mobile.
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    I bet you're right, everyones on the fucking card game bandwagon
    SBFord
  • nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    SIGH....How about a sequel to Age of Conan back in 2008 it was ahead of its time and then they simply abandoned it......I would love to go back to AoC....
    MikehaRexKushman
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    card games or moba's i wont touch
    Asm0deusshalissar
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2017
    TCG...oh sorry...CCG (collectible card games they got renamed to for digital card games) are a rip off. At least in real life TCG you can actually TRADE cards. not the con that digital card games are where the company forces you to pay 1000s or 10s of thousands or someone spent 100 thousand+ once on stupid collectible digital cards. And notice how they don't allow trading and removed the word trading from the whole part of the game that was in the name?

Very smart way (because people are dumb enough to pay for it) to force people to buy cards instead of people trading cards where they (the company) don't gain money.

Better money spent on real cards, cause at least you can TRADE them or physically collect them. 

What is worth more

Magic the Gathering Collectible Card

or

Crappy digital (for example) hearthstone card? that you can't trade or sell?

Easy answer.

And I'm 95% sure that the next Conan game is gonna be a lame collectible digital card rip off.

If its a singleplayer RPG though, I'll be pleasantly surprised and that be epic. Especially if its open world like Skyrim and heavily moddable like Conan Exiles

But if I wanted to collect cards. It would be REAL cards I can sell later on for either less than I paid or more, but at least I'd get something out of it. Or collect them physically. Or trade them.

But Magic the Gathering is worth 100% more than any hearthstone card or any other similar card game.

Asm0deus

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Can't fault them for being a game company... Especially with a powerful IP in hand. 

I'd like to see an action/adventure game or dungeon crawler. 

Collectible games probably aren't a horrible idea. Not my cup of tea, but they sell like hot cakes. A small downtown game store can stay afloat on them pretty well. Kids go nuts for those Magic and Heroclix stuff. I'm guessing that's digital now?
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    SBFord said:
    I can totally see a TCG built in the Conan universe. It's the "thing" these days for popular IPs to do that AND they'd get even broader cross-platform play by including mobile.

I'd certainly give it a try by Crom!
    Asheram[Deleted User]
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    waynejr2 said:
    SBFord said:

I'd certainly give it a try by Crom!
    crom doesn't like those cards tho. not made of steel.
    [Deleted User]waynejr2Asm0deus

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    At first I was puzzled about how is this news to anyone, but then I checked the article:
    "Longtime Funcom watchers and MMORPG veterans already knew that Funcom was working on multiple games as part of its Conan franchise push, but some Conan Exiles players newly come to the studio’s games were hearing the news for the first time following Funcom’s quarterly financial report last week, leading to confusion and panic."

So, some Exiles players are panicking... if only they knew FC's usual MO, that after launch they will redirect everything to the new game :lol:
    They even said so, openly: "We have an additional six months of Early Access, and no resources will be pulled from Conan Exiles until it’s finished". Until it's finished :lol:

Asheram said:
    Would be nice if they gave AoC the same treatment the did with TSW, Age of Conan Legends .
    Would be nice if those who don't play a game would leave it alone and not cheering from the corner for its demise...

Luckily it won't happen to AoC, FC pushed that aside years ago, now it's on official maintenance mode. For the online they already have Exiles, and the next game will be a turn-based, not an mmo.
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Introducing Hyborian Hearts, the world's most savage dating sim.
    Azaron_NightbladeConstantineMerusSBFordk61977AvarixGorweAsm0deus

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Po_gg said:
    At first I was puzzled about how is this news to anyone, but then I checked the article:
    "Longtime Funcom watchers and MMORPG veterans already knew that Funcom was working on multiple games as part of its Conan franchise push, but some Conan Exiles players newly come to the studio’s games were hearing the news for the first time following Funcom’s quarterly financial report last week, leading to confusion and panic."

So, some Exiles players are panicking... if only they knew FC's usual MO, that after launch they will redirect everything to the new game :lol:
    They even said so, openly: "We have an additional six months of Early Access, and no resources will be pulled from Conan Exiles until it’s finished". Until it's finished :lol:

To be fair, CE isn't an MMO. They are under no obligation to keep adding to it once it's finished.
    Of course it needs to be a product that can stand on its own by then...
    [Deleted User]

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Orthelian said:
    Introducing Hyborian Hearts, the world's most savage dating sim.
    Maybe only then I can find a true match. 
    Azaron_NightbladeSBFord[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Conan Exiles MMORPG with no Denuvo?
    Excessionlaxie
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Renoaku said:
    Only with XingCode. Just for you, Ren :3
    [Deleted User]laxie

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Renoaku said:
    Only with XingCode. Just for you, Ren :3
    Ewwww no thanks im fine with Battleye & Easy Anti Cheat both have gained a good reputation of asking permission first I respect that, and both provide full removal instructions on their site <3.
    ExcessionAzaron_Nightblade
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Another garbage digital card game, based on Conan this time around.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited September 2017
    To be fair, CE isn't an MMO. They are under no obligation to keep adding to it once it's finished.
    No obligation, that's true. But it's still an online multiplayer game, in a genre with at least a few updates - just like they did since the EA launch. Just look at Minifigs Online, it had regular new minifigs and new maps and new modes IN PLAN, and they did nothing, just simply backed out from behind it. Result, it fell flat on the face and closed down.

Sure, you can play Exiles on your own servers, so it's a tiny bit more solid purchase. But the uproar will still be huge, when they will put it on ignore mode like they did with all their previous games :wink:
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited September 2017
    Po_gg said:

Asheram said:
    Would be nice if those who don't play a game would leave it alone and not cheering from the corner for its demise...

Luckily it won't happen to AoC, FC pushed that aside years ago, now it's on official maintenance mode. For the online they already have Exiles, and the next game will be a turn-based, not an mmo.
    AoC is in maintenance mode doesn't that mean it's demise is near if not already here?  At least they would still be working on it if they did a swl on it, they have all the assets right?
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    SBFord said:
    True but it have been done a bit too much lately. There are many other options that are less done that also would work. A TCG should really have been out a year before today, not after before the Elder scroll game at least.

Heck, a RTS or a 4X game would for instance be cool. A low fantasy RTS is not something we seen too often after all and a 4X game similar to Heroes and Age of Wonder would have a lot potential on a limited budget.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited September 2017
    They'll probably re-use assets from Conan Exiles (which was reusing assets from their original Conan MMORPG) to make this card game.  Then they'll re-use Secret World's assets to make a Secret World fighting game (the combat will still suck).  Then they'll come out with Conan: Puzzle Quest.  After that, it's Secret World Saga (a visual novel).  Then Conan Slingshot Wars (a mobile slingshot RPG).  And then Resident Secret World (a horror game). After that will be Conan: Reborn (which is a Conan MMORPG)

With all these genres left for them to re-use their game assets on, Funcom's got it made for another five years!