Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Closed Beta Launches Today with New Content - Dauntless Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageClosed Beta Launches Today with New Content - Dauntless Videos - MMORPG.com

Phoenix Labs has released a brand new Dauntless trailer in celebration of the closed beta launch. CBT started today with a bunch of new content including new Behemoths, story content and much more. Developers are promising regular updates throughout CBT and beyond.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bigcrackerbigcracker Member UncommonPosts: 87
    So they had a closed alpha then like 5 days later a closed beta? Are they trying to rush because of monster hunter?
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Closed alpha was nearly a month. CBT is an unspecified amount of time. Where do you get "rush" out of that?
    Aztok

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    I'm actually getting really interested in this. Thinking about buying the 40 dollar pack.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    this game looks great i watched on twitch dont think ill buy though free later;)
  • WolfyseyesWolfyseyes Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Looking forward to wiggling my fingers in there and seeing if things are different. I will say that, until MH World comes out, this is a very good diversion.
  • bigcrackerbigcracker Member UncommonPosts: 87

SBFord said:

Closed alpha was nearly a month. CBT is an unspecified amount of time. Where do you get "rush" out of that?

Well founders alpha started on august 18th usually have more time between them.Just quick between alpha and beta, not saying anything wrong with that.
  • khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

SBFord said:

Founders alpha was only 13 days, but there was tech alpha before that for the past few months.

DMKano said:

Will there be a wipe post beta?

Nope, they said no forced wipes from alpha to launch unless something happens and the change in the game totally requires it. So they plan to let us keep everything from alpha til launch.

You can optionally choose a wipe now in closed beta should you want to start over though.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• NevereverlandNevereverland Member UncommonPosts: 161
    This game will be forgotten when MH comes out. So at this point clearly waste of money to invest.
    Realizer
  • VitaminKVitaminK Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I did not enjoy it and I was really excited about it. Save your money till it's out.
  • zigalucardzigalucard Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Game was fun, those female character models and faces though, ugly as hell.
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

SBFord said:

Well founders alpha started on august 18th usually have more time between them.Just quick between alpha and beta, not saying anything wrong with that.

All these Alphas, Beta, and Early Access are all just a semantics game to build hype and revenue. Gone are the days of early internal/close looped Alpha tests followed by a year of fixes, then ever increasing size Betas followed by months of fixes/optimization, then the high anticipated public launch. Now these companies launch to the public is a state that is mixed between Alpha and Beta, collect on hype, get trashed in reviews, then get a fresh look from critics and players alike on "Release" generating another wave of revenue.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• ReLockeReLocke Member UncommonPosts: 9
    As a alpha tester I have to say that the game in its "closed beta" stage, is the same as it was in its alpha stage, a month or two ago. Labeling this as closed beta is only marketing, I have purchased it today to see the improvements, or after playing it, the lack of these. I suggest that if any of you have paid, demand a refund because they are selling smoke, no improvement in the interface(still placeholder images for all items), no improvements in the optimization("good" fps when hunting, terrible fps in the city hub) and lastly, they insult us lying promising a beta, and giving us the very same alpha(with some new monsters).
  • LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 145

So they had a closed alpha then like 5 days later a closed beta? Are they trying to rush because of monster hunter?

No, it was 'technically' in alpha. But in reality the state the game is in early 'beta', hence why the just announced it to clarify.

You can differentiate alpha and beta state games based on how complete their game systems are, graphics/animations, and content.
  • aeunexcoreaeunexcore Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Is this founder's CBT too?
  • khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

DMKano said:

khameleon said:

SBFord said:

Founders alpha was only 13 days, but there was tech alpha before that for the past few months.

DMKano said:

Nope, they said no forced wipes from alpha to launch unless something happens and the change in the game totally requires it. So they plan to let us keep everything from alpha til launch.

You can optionally choose a wipe now in closed beta should you want to start over though.

No wipe means the game has launched already.

Yea, the devs are shady with wipes, they changed what they said back and forth. They said there would be wipes, but then they paid streamers to play the game for 1-2 days on twitch, gave them free founders packs, in game items with their own custom logos, etc. Streamers do not want to start over for their audience, so the devs announced "no wipes ever again(unless a disaster with game code). It was done to please the streamers and 99% of them quit the game in 2-3 days max lol. They did get viewers to see the game, but how the streamers all abandoned it shows their followers its not very attractive to buy into.

The devs also ban people in forums and discord if you question them too much about future plans, and what you think should be changed or announced or revealed to the backers, founders, testers, etc. "We will reveal what we want, when we feel its time.": that is all you can get form them even on websites that interview them.

So I say DO NOT buy a founders pack and just wait til its free. Game is fun for 2 weeks right now and then you have done all the content that exists.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    edited September 2017

khameleon said:

DMKano said:

khameleon said:

SBFord said:

DMKano said:

No wipe means the game has launched already.

Yea, the devs are shady with wipes, they changed what they said back and forth. They said there would be wipes, but then they paid streamers to play the game for 1-2 days on twitch, gave them free founders packs, in game items with their own custom logos, etc. Streamers do not want to start over for their audience, so the devs announced "no wipes ever again(unless a disaster with game code). It was done to please the streamers and 99% of them quit the game in 2-3 days max lol. They did get viewers to see the game, but how the streamers all abandoned it shows their followers its not very attractive to buy into.

The devs also ban people in forums and discord if you question them too much about future plans, and what you think should be changed or announced or revealed to the backers, founders, testers, etc. "We will reveal what we want, when we feel its time.": that is all you can get form them even on websites that interview them.

So I say DO NOT buy a founders pack and just wait til its free. Game is fun for 2 weeks right now and then you have done all the content that exists.

Sources for all your claims?

As far as I'm concerned, and anyone reading your post, this should be taken as rumor mongering. I think either:

A ) You bought it, didn't like it, and are trying to persuade others to not get it based off your opinion.

or

B ) Another upset Monster Hunter fanboy for no reason.

Either way, shoo. Get some links to people getting unfairly banned or you're just a bullshitter.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Before Alpha there was 5-6 months of pre-alpha where tests where done on a almost weekly basis. Almost each weekend there was a test.  So the founders alpha was more of a load testing type thing then an actual alpha test per say.

With that said as a free game there is fun to be had. But I myself can not see how this will compete with Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter has so much more going for it and the combat with the boss monsters comes down to more then just hacking at a mob with lots of hp. 

Yes there is a little bit of strategy to the monsters like dodging an attack here or there. But for the most part it just seems like a mob with a crap load of hp that you slowly chop away at.