Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lf: an mmo without

dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152

I am looking for a new MMO. Well, new to me, it can be an old MMO. Boring thread, right? Well, here is a new twist: instead of saying what I like, I will instead only be listing the things that I do not want in the game.

Ready?

Pets. Seems almost every MMO has pets. Maybe one can avoid using the pet, but one finds that game play becomes more difficult, as things are designed/leveled for a player that uses a pet. Yes some of them are cute but I'm not in the mood to (in essence) manage and equip two characters (me and my pet) at once.

Crafting. No. Just, no. I don't want to trudge to the forest of Nob to collect thirteen giblets of Moogly Sap to then go to a Crafting Station (woops, crafting level is not 33, can't use this station) to then form two bricks of unobtanium which I can then lug to the city of OtherSideOfTheMap in order to trade for a Needed Quest Item Of Annoyance, but only if carrying an Umbrella of Alchemy and only on a Wednesday. No!

Time-limited quests or missions. No. I could be putting this quest aside, to finish it at some other time, which could be hours to years later.

WASD-only movement.

Telephoto lens (narrow FOV) camera. Errm, do I want to see everything whip around real quick at the slightest right-mouse-drag? No. I do not. The first Borderlands (though not an MMO) is an example of this problem.

Anime-style characters. Nope.

Puzzle bosses. Can't just kill them in the usual way. Have to hit glowing spots, but only at a certain time. Or the monster will periodically lay a spell down that will one-hit players regardless of anything, so one has to look for the warning sign and run away just before. Jade Dynasty is notorious for this.

Immutable inventory object. It's in my inventory. It's taking up space. It's my decision to get rid of it. Let me get rid of it!

This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
NoxeronAzaron_Nightblade

Comments

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543
    From what I have played and enjoyed:
    No pets:
    a) Istaria (only cargo pets and those are for enough months of being paid member)
    b) maybe - Secret world
    No crafting:
    sorry, all known games have crafting. Even Runescape
    No time-limited quests:
    Istaria. As far as I remember, there are none
    No WASD-only movement:
    a) Istaria
    b) Secret world (I guess you can re-configure pretty much there, WASD or QWERTY)
    No-telephoto lens:
    possibly Istaria (most controls are with keyboard there)
    No anime toons:
    a) Istaria
    b) Secret world (unless you want your toon to be as much anime as you want)
    No puzzle bosses:
    Istaria, I guess. Though some bosses are not soloable, so strong group is a must
    Items in ivnentory should be deletable:
    a) Istaria
    b) Secret world legends

I see "no crafting" as something too much. Almost every game has it, but you can avoid by joining very friendly clan or just buy in auction houses.
    If "no pet" was NOT a must - I'd reccomend Lord of the rings online.

You may like Istaria, even if it has dated graphic and community isn't huge (7/8 of your requirements met). Secret world may be an option, but it does have timed quests.
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited September 2017
    Thank you for the reply. :)

I had gone a few days seeing no replies on this thread and had been concerned that I'd touched upon an unspoken taboo subject or something.  Your replying is a positive thing.  :)

This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited September 2017
    Well, your op is little weird...

If you do not want to play a pet class, then don't.
    If you do not want to engage in crafting, then don't.

I guess any western major title fits in...
    Noxeron
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    The first Guildwars game? While the ranger there could have a pet  you could do just as well without (my barrager didn't have one).

No crafting, no time limit except in certain instances, WASD or click to move & not really any puzzle bosses even though it certainly helps to prepare and to act tactical when fighting them.

It is a bit old though at 12 years but it is the closest thing I know at least if we are talking about fantasy PvE games. Otherwise doesn't Eve have any of those things ;)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited September 2017
    EVE. 
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited September 2017
    Loke666 said:
    The first Guildwars game? While the ranger there could have a pet  you could do just as well without (my barrager didn't have one).

No crafting, no time limit except in certain instances, WASD or click to move & not really any puzzle bosses even though it certainly helps to prepare and to act tactical when fighting them.

It is a bit old though at 12 years but it is the closest thing I know at least if we are talking about fantasy PvE games. Otherwise doesn't Eve have any of those things ;)
    What?  Eh GW has lots of "secondary characters" aka henchmen you need to micromanage, surely you jest?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Gdemami said:
    Well, your op is little weird...

If you do not want to play a pet class, then don't.
    If you do not want to engage in crafting, then don't.

I guess any western major title fits in...
    This may be the only real option for OP.

Those two mechanics are hugely popular within the genre.  It's cool if you don't like them, but you might have to at least deal with the fact that they're present in the game you choose to play.  Sorry dude.  :/
    MrMelGibson

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2017
    Kyleran said:
    EVE. 
    I think it's a great suggestion, but do you not think drones would be considered "pets"?

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    ELITE Dangerous could be up your alley.

No crafting (well I haven't done it if there is lol).

no forced WASD movement as you can use a controller or bind arrow keys or however controls of keyboard you want to start.

No pets.

I think there might be time limited missions? but they give you TONS of time supposedly, and most of the missions I find don't have a time limit anyway and actually I haven't actually seen a time limit. So I dunno if I got lucky or if they aren't there or taken out or what.

Definitely no anime characters at all, and in fact its an ultra realistic MMO and not cartoony whatsoever

And there is tons to explore and do! :D The whole game is really about exploration.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul